Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Alisson Becker (AS Roma)

Read 126510 times
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Re: Alisson Becker (AS Roma)
      Reply #299: Jun 06, 2018 01:24:56 pm
      Old news.. different 'source'.

But 'all parties agreed' means Roma willing to sell?

https://twitter.com/BrazilEdition/status/1004097756959420416

Agent Bobby:

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/1004424715778306048
      « Last Edit: Jun 06, 2018 07:19:44 pm by Vicks86 »
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #300: Jun 07, 2018 08:23:16 pm
      Glad, the Alex McCarthy rumors are put to bed. Doyle saying Oblak and Alisson are our 'targets' but prices are prohibitive!
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #301: Jun 10, 2018 07:18:58 pm
      Of course, what else would anyone say about the "future"?

https://twitter.com/LivEchoLFC/status/1005873479663546368
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #302: Jun 11, 2018 11:06:10 pm
      Only twitter shitetalk but seen somewhere we supposedly bid €65m. I’d take it with a massive pinch of salt though.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,152 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #303: Jun 12, 2018 07:32:20 am
      Money should not be an issue here, if we want him we pay the £80 million and be done with it. Has the potential to be our No.1 for 10 years plus. At £8m a year for a top level keeper i think that's a good deal myself. I feel this is the most important position we need to fill this Summer.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #304: Jun 12, 2018 07:43:08 am
      Obviously take it with a truckload of salt, but according to Mundo Deportivo, we have filed an offer close to £57m for Alisson. I know it’s probbaly bullshit since I only found reports of it from a Spanish source.

Link is in Spanish so won’t post it.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #305: Jun 12, 2018 12:06:32 pm
      Looks like we've conceded defeat in this chase. And again, we'll NOT go in for Oblak cos the release clause is 'prohibitive' for us, apparently!

https://twitter.com/LivEchoLFC/status/1006492055365795842
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #306: Jun 12, 2018 01:29:02 pm
      Looks like we've conceded defeat in this chase. And again, we'll NOT go in for Oblak cos the release clause is 'prohibitive' for us, apparently!

https://twitter.com/LivEchoLFC/status/1006492055365795842

Why is it ok to spend £75 million on a defender but not a keeper?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #307: Jun 12, 2018 01:49:20 pm

This!! A keeper is just as important as any outfield player that clubs would happily spend that kind of money on. For some reason there is this belief though that keepers shouldn’t be going for that kind of money.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,371 posts | 1029 
      Reply #308: Jun 12, 2018 02:13:07 pm
      It is a crazy amount of money, breaking the transfer record for a goalkeeper by around 200%. Proportionately, VVD’s was nowhere near as drastic.

As in all transfers though, it’s not just about the price; it’s also about whether the player is worth that to us. Whether you or I think he is, if Klopp doesn’t then we don’t get the player.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #309: Jun 12, 2018 03:35:56 pm
      Money should not be an issue here, if we want him we pay the £80 million and be done with it. Has the potential to be our No.1 for 10 years plus. At £8m a year for a top level keeper i think that's a good deal myself. I feel this is the most important position we need to fill this Summer.

Exactly mate, how much is De Gea worth over the last three seasons for the mancs?
      The games and money he has single handed saved for them in that time scale cannot be calculated.
      It is really unbelievable that Pepe was forced out over some wage structure issue and the same financial issues have prevented his skill and experience being replaced and by F**k has it cost the club dear?

The short term, false economy strategy that saw us falter in the last 8 years appeared to have been rectified with some quality signings yet if this is not seen through with some obvious weaknesses corrected, we are back to square one.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #310: Jun 12, 2018 03:45:17 pm
      This!! A keeper is just as important as any outfield player that clubs would happily spend that kind of money on. For some reason there is this belief though that keepers shouldn’t be going for that kind of money.

You need to look at it from a different perspective, scoring more goals will win you match and if we defend the way Jürgen is setting us up right now, then goalkeeping is less of an issue over the course of a season.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,808 posts | 2449 
      Reply #311: Jun 12, 2018 03:51:20 pm
      You need to look at it from a different perspective, scoring more goals will win you match and if we defend the way Jürgen is setting us up right now, then goalkeeping is less of an issue over the course of a season.

I refer you to the Champions League Final 2018.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #312: Jun 12, 2018 04:03:49 pm
      It is a crazy amount of money, breaking the transfer record for a goalkeeper by around 200%. Proportionately, VVD’s was nowhere near as drastic.

As in all transfers though, it’s not just about the price; it’s also about whether the player is worth that to us. Whether you or I think he is, if Klopp doesn’t then we don’t get the player.

How many points a season is De Gea worth to Manure, I read that its between 10-15 points, how on earth is that not worth £80 million??

This perception that goalkeepers should be cheap is bizarre because apart from the star striker its probably the most important player on the pitch. Top goalkeepers should be similarly priced to top strikers.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #313: Jun 12, 2018 04:06:09 pm

Goalkeeper seemed to be quite a big issue against Real Madrid, can't really pin any of the goals on the defence could you? Anyway I refer you to De Gea who statistically saves Manure a greta many points each season, why would you not buy quality like that?
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,181 posts | 832 
      Reply #314: Jun 12, 2018 04:29:41 pm
      How many points a season is De Gea worth to Manure, I read that its between 10-15 points, how on earth is that not worth £80 million??

This perception that goalkeepers should be cheap is bizarre because apart from the star striker its probably the most important player on the pitch. Top goalkeepers should be similarly priced to top strikers.

Maybe Edwards and Klopp don't rate him at 80m? Maybe close to 40-50m?

I would rather use 80m to buy a replacement for Coutinho rather than a GK.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #315: Jun 12, 2018 04:32:25 pm

Can you please explain why you wouldn't pay that amount for a goalkeeper who will sure up the defence and win you 10-15 points per season, I honestly am struggling to understand the mindset. Surely a goalkeeper is more important to a team than an AM.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #316: Jun 12, 2018 04:39:09 pm
      I refer you to the Champions League Final 2018.

Yes, but that's only one game, albeit the most important game in our past season. Over several months prior to that final, we had been doing "well enough", not spectacular but not bad either.
      number7
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 803 posts |
      Reply #317: Jun 12, 2018 04:42:01 pm

This! 80M is better spent on a really good attacker who can set up and score goals than on a goalkeeper.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #318: Jun 12, 2018 04:59:31 pm
      This! 80M is better spent on a really good attacker who can set up and score goals than on a goalkeeper.

Why not spend it on improving our overall defence, please explain.
      Kopite78
      Reply #319: Jun 12, 2018 05:24:26 pm
      Can you please explain why you wouldn't pay that amount for a goalkeeper who will sure up the defence and win you 10-15 points per season, I honestly am struggling to understand the mindset. Surely a goalkeeper is more important to a team than an AM.

I have to question your 10-15 points here.

Genuinely I'd like this to be a debate and we can jog each other's memories

From my memory is the following

Games we lost or dropped points in

City 0-5. I think it's a stretch to say a keepers saves us there..  we were sh*te
      Burnley 1-1. Wasn't a keeper mistake on the day
      Newcastle 1-1. A mistake from the cb Not the keeper
      Spurs 1-4. Lovren nightmare and again A stretch to say a keeper saves us that day.
      Chelsea 1-1. Freak goal that I'm not sure any keeper really keeps that out.
      Everton 1-1. Penalty
      Spurs 2-2. Wonder goal and a penalty (keeper saves a pen that day too)
      Utd 1-2. Nothing on the keeper that day.. tough day for Trent
      Chelsea 0-1. Nothing on the keeper

Games where keeps mistakes cost us in my opinion 
      Watford 3-3. Keeps should do better on a least 1 of Watfords
      Arsenal 3-3. Smoke for hands
      West Brom 2-2. Nothing direct from the keeper that day but 2 up with ten to play you hope days like this your keeper may pull something out of his hat

Now games where we simply don't score
      West Brom 0-0
      Utd 0-0
      Swansea 0-1
      Everton 0-0
      Stoke 0-0

Now in simple terms there for example we have a new 80 million  forward do we win those last 5 listed? Is that not a more likely 10-15 points than saying we lost 5-7 points in the Watford, Arsenal and West Brom games?

As much as we can say that maybe a keeper makes a worldie in a gane like 1-1 at home to Burnley to win us the gane 1-0 can't the same be applied to if we had more options up top to maybe win the game 2-1 or 3-1?
      The same with Newcastle away, Chelsea home, Everton home etc etc

Also don't forget that from the spurs away gane in October we have the best defensive record in the league and the most clean sheets...

Look the Madrid game lives long in the memory and I'm not sure I can forget or forgive Karius ultimately but there are more ways to skin a cat than one and the ones saying they're rather spend I  the attacking areas than on an 80m keepers maybe aren't wrong
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #320: Jun 12, 2018 05:32:35 pm
      Why not spend it on improving our overall defence, please explain.

Probably because we don't want to get into an auction with Real Madrid, who seem to be favourites from all reports I've heard or read in last couple of days to land Alisson.

Said it after the final and I'll say it again, Klopp will stick with Karius and we'll either make Ward the number 2 or buy a back up keeper.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,312 posts | 6376 
      Reply #321: Jun 12, 2018 06:53:56 pm
      I have to question your 10-15 points here.

Genuinely I'd like this to be a debate and we can jog each other's memories

From my memory is the following

Games we lost or dropped points in

City 0-5. I think it's a stretch to say a keepers saves us there..  we were sh*te
      Burnley 1-1. Wasn't a keeper mistake on the day
      Newcastle 1-1. A mistake from the cb Not the keeper
      Spurs 1-4. Lovren nightmare and again A stretch to say a keeper saves us that day.
      Chelsea 1-1. Freak goal that I'm not sure any keeper really keeps that out.
      Everton 1-1. Penalty
      Spurs 2-2. Wonder goal and a penalty (keeper saves a pen that day too)
      Utd 1-2. Nothing on the keeper that day.. tough day for Trent
      Chelsea 0-1. Nothing on the keeper

Games where keeps mistakes cost us in my opinion 
      Watford 3-3. Keeps should do better on a least 1 of Watfords
      Arsenal 3-3. Smoke for hands
      West Brom 2-2. Nothing direct from the keeper that day but 2 up with ten to play you hope days like this your keeper may pull something out of his hat

Now games where we simply don't score
      West Brom 0-0
      Utd 0-0
      Swansea 0-1
      Everton 0-0
      Stoke 0-0

Now in simple terms there for example we have a new 80 million  forward do we win those last 5 listed? Is that not a more likely 10-15 points than saying we lost 5-7 points in the Watford, Arsenal and West Brom games?

As much as we can say that maybe a keeper makes a worldie in a gane like 1-1 at home to Burnley to win us the gane 1-0 can't the same be applied to if we had more options up top to maybe win the game 2-1 or 3-1?
      The same with Newcastle away, Chelsea home, Everton home etc etc

Also don't forget that from the spurs away gane in October we have the best defensive record in the league and the most clean sheets...

Look the Madrid game lives long in the memory and I'm not sure I can forget or forgive Karius ultimately but there are more ways to skin a cat than one and the ones saying they're rather spend I  the attacking areas than on an 80m keepers maybe aren't wrong

Think a good argument (based on your analysis) could be made to spend that money on another "VVD" like center back. (although I'm not against another world class attacker either).

Quick Reply