Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Transfer Deadline day - happy with our business?

Read 10860 times
      Red fox
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 14 posts |
      Transfer Deadline day - happy with our business?
      Jan 31, 2018 07:04:05 am
      Ok guys, the end of the transfer window is almost upon us. Something like 14-15 hours left and all the expectations will be over. Do you expect any last minute firework or we are done for now?  Are you happy with the window as it stands?
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2018 08:57:26 am by JD »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Re: The end...
      Reply #1: Jan 31, 2018 07:11:43 am
      Ok guys, the end of the transfer window is almost upon us. Something like 14-15 hours left and all the expectations will be over. Do you expect any last minute firework or we are done for now?  Are you happy with the window as it stands?

Would have preferred more additions - think we might see something today with Jürgen’s comments last night but don’t envisage anything significant.

That said - 24hr amnesty then I go back to the football that’s taking place and focus on the season. No point bitching about it after the window is closed - move on and get behind the team.

Then go through the pain all over again come 1st July.....
      Red fox
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 14 posts |
      Re: The end...
      Reply #2: Jan 31, 2018 07:28:10 am
      Pity we couldnt bring Keita early.....we need an improved MF.  I thought we need a keeper too but after JK made Karius our No1 , i dont see it happening.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Transfer Deadline day - happy with our business?
      Reply #3: Jan 31, 2018 10:47:55 am
      Not even close. We sold arguably our best player mid-campaign, allowed our best backup Striker to leave on loan, and brought in a Center Back we're barely playing, all the while ignoring the goalkeeper shaped elephant in the room and lack of creativity in the middle of the park. January has been a dereliction of duty by all involved. Let's just hope it doesn't come back to haunt us at the end of the season.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,481 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4: Jan 31, 2018 11:29:56 am
      Cou was a loss from our attack, but we brought in VVD so should improve our defense. Though VVD would need to play more often and a bit better for these two to 'cancel each other out'.

Sturridge wasn't playing, and was behind the other striker backups, so unless Firmino/Ings/Solanke all get injured at the same time, this shouldn't have any effect on the rest of our season.

With Sturridge going tho, some of the same arguments we had over him could be had over to Ings. Like, if we're not going to play him, or give him a chance, what is the point in keeping him?  I'd have liked to have signed a striker in the window, a realistic backup for Firmino, who could fill in for him if injured, or replace him in certain games based on form, or play together even if needed against a bus parker.

Would have been nice to sign a keeper. But Karius seems to be playing OK right now, maybe we can manage till end of season. (Ward got a good reception last night at Huddersfield, not sure why we haven't used him at all - but he's there)

So, main regret would be not getting a front man in Jan, but we move on ...
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #5: Jan 31, 2018 11:42:26 am
      One thought I have on VVD is whether he could be converted into a top DM, he seem to have all the attributes, he's quick, has great passing range and vision, is obviously good at tackling and heading.
      I also think that with VVD sitting in front of the defence the defence we currently have, Matip and Lovren/Klavan would become far more solid.

What do you guys think?

BTW If I was Klopp I would really try to hijack the Mahrez move, pay Leciester £75 million, he's worth it.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #6: Jan 31, 2018 11:55:44 am
      Not at all.

Jürgen clearly wanted Naby early, realizing he is short of numbers and creativity in the midfield and he/FSG haven't done anything there. Would have liked us to pursue options like Max Meyer or Shakhtar's Bernard who could have been astute options as their contracts are expiring this summer.

Also, if Spartak are valuing Promes at £30m and we did scout him extensively, 2+2=4! Beats me why we are not in for him. Versatile, 2-footed player and can lead the line too.

Sigh!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #7: Jan 31, 2018 12:07:56 pm
      Look...

Klopp only wants certain players. If he can't get them then no one will come in. That's good business for me, no need to sign someone 'just cause'.

VvD is a massive plus, Phil is a massive minus. Would have loved another striking option, if Bobby gets an injury we are up sh*t creek.

Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,163 posts | 1382 
      Reply #8: Jan 31, 2018 12:13:59 pm
      Nah.
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2018 12:25:27 pm by Harrisimo »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8516 
      Reply #9: Jan 31, 2018 12:17:17 pm

Are you happy as it stands?

F**k all will happen today other than Lazar getting binned off!!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #10: Jan 31, 2018 12:18:33 pm
      Not happy at all and I pray it doesn't come back to bite us.

Whether they will be impact signings or not, those around us have mostly strengthened (bar Chelsea?) and we've sat twiddling our thumbs, once again with our strategy being hope.

Hope that we don't get any significant injuries....hope that players don't have any long term dips in form, hope that Jürgen is enough to counter what other teams are trying to do to strengthen.

Red fox
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 14 posts |
      Reply #11: Jan 31, 2018 12:31:36 pm
      Are you happy as it stands?

F**k all will happen today other than Lazar getting binned off!!

As it is , im not .  Maybe i want too much but we are short of a top goalkeeper , a playmaker and a top scorer.

Getting rid of Lazar is a major achievement, ;D
      Harrisimo

• 8,163 posts | 1382 
      Reply #12: Jan 31, 2018 12:36:38 pm

Could you be a slightly more pellucid..

....nah.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #13: Jan 31, 2018 12:48:55 pm
      Not happy.

As always a big signing we make is always to cover over the cracks of someone else big leaving. I don't care what anyone says Phil Coutinho should still be at this club and then sold in the summer when we could have replaced him. We bottled it.

Van Dijk of course is a big signing and pleased with that.

Not sure how to feel about Sturridge. Quality on his day but never fit. But would rather him off the bench than Ings or Solanke.
      Harrisimo

• 8,163 posts | 1382 
      Reply #14: Jan 31, 2018 12:48:58 pm
      Apart from City breaking the bank for another defender not a lot has happened for any club this month. City will probably add Mahrez but not too bothered as he is not a Kloppo type of player, Chelsea trying to add a striker even though they paid out 70m for one in the summer, Spurs get a winger from PSG who can't get game time for them or the national team, Arsenal get aubeyeingithingymejig who was on his way to china to rot in the paddy fields plus made a bad swap deal for Sanchez and Mikitaryan. Utd made the best move with Sanchez although they have to pay him a trillion a week to upset everyone else. I'm not happy with our business but then again what business is to be done if the right player is not available? I know some fans just want us to buy anyone without thinking about it but I don't. Will we bring someone in before 11pm? If not the lad from Real Madrid then no can't see it.

According to Sky this window has seen record amounts of money spent, with many teams breaking their record signings. And the spending hasn't finished.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #15: Jan 31, 2018 12:58:23 pm
      Apart from City breaking the bank for another defender not a lot has happened for any club this month. City will probably add Mahrez but not too bothered as he is not a Kloppo type of player, Chelsea trying to add a striker even though they paid out 70m for one in the summer, Spurs get a winger from PSG who can't get game time for them or the national team, Arsenal get aubeyeingithingymejig who was on his way to china to rot in the paddy fields plus made a bad swap deal for Sanchez and Mikitaryan. Utd made the best move with Sanchez although they have to pay him a trillion a week to upset everyone else. I'm not happy with our business but then again what business is to be done if the right player is not available? I know some fans just want us to buy anyone without thinking about it but I don't. Will we bring someone in before 11pm? If not the lad from Real Madrid then no can't see it.

;D!

United signed one of the best attacking players in the league and world from a rival.

Spurs have strengthened with the imminent arrival of Lucas Moura.

Arsenal lost Sanchez but have gained Mkhitaryan and Aubamayang.

We lost Phil but gained a top defender.

A lot has F***ing happened!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #16: Jan 31, 2018 01:09:02 pm

Why do you think Mahrez is not a Klopp type player?
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2018 01:19:49 pm by heimdall »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #17: Jan 31, 2018 01:15:51 pm
      Don't we have a separate forum, just for this topic?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #18: Jan 31, 2018 01:19:35 pm
      Don't we have a separate forum, just for this topic?

??? Where would that be then?
      Kopite78
      Reply #19: Jan 31, 2018 01:20:39 pm
      2 questions, firstly why do you not think Mahrez is a Klopp type player and secondly do you really not think that Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs and Citeh have strengthened, if so why?

Can I answer?

I think Mahrez is a Klopp type of player. Not sure why we aren't interested. If it's 90m then may be I can see why

The second?
      Utd have improved by signing a really top class player who will score somewhere in the region of 15 goals before the end of the season. He adds them depth of quality

Arsenal have improved by signing two really good players who especially in Miki la suits arsenal football more than he did utd style under Mourinho.
      They have also sold a cancer in their squad

Spurs have improved by adding a quality option and kept all their best players

City have signed a very good cb in an area they needed one

For what it's worth if we suffer no injuries and or major fatigue I think we fin9sh above Arsenal and Spurs and potentially Chelsea
      However I think we will be very lucky not to suffer from major fatigue and lucky with no injuries to the front three without having quality rotation we had before January

So for the want of am easy scale of improvement

Say everyone on Jan 1 is neutral on a scale of 1-10
      So everyone starts 5 I'd say this is where everyone is

Us I think we drop to 4
      Utd improve to 8
      Arsenal improve to 7
      Chelsea stay at 5
      City improve to 6
      Spurs either stay at 5 or possibly shade to 6
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #20: Jan 31, 2018 01:26:14 pm
      Can I answer?

I think Mahrez is a Klopp type of player. Not sure why we aren't interested. If it's 90m then may be I can see why

The second?
      Utd have improved by signing a really top class player who will score somewhere in the region of 15 goals before the end of the season. He adds them depth of quality

Arsenal have improved by signing two really good players who especially in Miki la suits arsenal football more than he did utd style under Mourinho.
      They have also sold a cancer in their squad

Spurs have improved by adding a quality option and kept all their best players

City have signed a very good cb in an area they needed one

For what it's worth if we suffer no injuries and or major fatigue I think we fin9sh above Arsenal and Spurs and potentially Chelsea
      However I think we will be very lucky not to suffer from major fatigue and lucky with no injuries to the front three without having quality rotation we had before January

So for the want of am easy scale of improvement

Say everyone on Jan 1 is neutral on a scale of 1-10
      So everyone starts 5 I'd say this is where everyone is

Us I think we drop to 4
      Utd improve to 8
      Arsenal improve to 7
      Chelsea stay at 5
      City improve to 6
      Spurs either stay at 5 or possibly shade to 6

Interesting but I honestly think getting VVD and losing Couts is a net gain for us, VVD will save us from a lot of unnecessary goals against, whilst we should still have more than enough firepower up front, especially once Mane please please please rediscovers his touch. So I'd put us at 5 bordering on 6, plus I think you've been a bit generous with Arsenal, Sanchez was after all is said and done scoring plenty of goals for them so he will be a big loss and Miki and Aubamayang are unknown quantities. 
      Kopite78
      Reply #21: Jan 31, 2018 01:39:08 pm
      Interesting but I honestly think getting VVD and losing Couts is a net gain for us, VVD will save us from a lot of unnecessary goals against, whilst we should still have more than enough firepower up front, especially once Mane please please please rediscovers his touch. So I'd put us at 5 bordering on 6, plus I think you've been a bit generous with Arsenal, Sanchez was after all is said and done scoring plenty of goals for them so he will be a big loss and Miki and Aubamayang are unknown quantities.

I don't think Miki is.. He's played in the league, he's used to the weather etc etc.. I genuinely think he suits arsenal more than utd. Aubamayang I think personally will have a good six  months. But may tail off going into next season with potential attitude issues

I think what coutinho loses us, his own impact as well as the ability to rotate and rest the others with no drop off is more of a detriment than vvd is a positive. Certainly short term 
      I said before we signed him that him alone won't change us as a defensive unit because it won't change how we set up.
      What I thought it would help is with set pieces
      I like him and delighted he's in but I think the loss of coutinho with no replacement is more of an effect
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #22: Jan 31, 2018 01:41:25 pm

You're not biased at all :roll:

Coutinho who scored had a hand in a third of our goal would not be a loss yet Sanchez for them will.. as new signings Mkhitaryan and Aubemeyang are unknown quantities yet VVD will ''save us a lot of goals''.. they've also kept they're main creative outlet Ozil paying him 350k/week.. I'd say Arsenal showed more ambition than us this window and made the best of a shitty situation.

Quick Reply