Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Transfer Deadline day - happy with our business?

Read 10868 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Transfer Deadline day - happy with our business?
      Reply #115: Feb 02, 2018 12:08:15 pm
      What I would have liked to see this window was Shinji Okazaki a player that can really make an impact coming of the bench, and suit the style that Klopp likes to play
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #116: Feb 02, 2018 02:04:53 pm
      Sending Sturridge out on loan didn't make sense. With Mane off blob plus injuries WILL happen why send a seasoned top goalscorer out on loan. What was the point. This is not a time to see if Ings or Solanke can cut it, this is a time for 100% effort all round.

When Klopp was asked about Ings going on loan he said in all matters "The club come first". Then why off load Sturridge. Who was he putting first here.

We lost Coutinho, then it stands to reason we need to keep as much fire power as possible. Did Klopp put his opinion of Sturridge before the clubs needs?

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #117: Feb 02, 2018 02:24:00 pm
      Ok guys, the end of the transfer window is almost upon us. Something like 14-15 hours left and all the expectations will be over. Do you expect any last minute firework or we are done for now?  Are you happy with the window as it stands?

In:

Virgil van Dijk

Out:

Philippe Coutinho
      Daniel Sturridge
      Lazar Markovic
      Jon Flanagan
      Marko Grujic

Cameron Brannagan
      Ryan Kent
      Lloyd Jones
      Ovie Ejaria
      Harry Wilson

Impressive window for transfers.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #118: Feb 02, 2018 02:55:13 pm
      In:

Virgil van Dijk

Out:

Philippe Coutinho
      Daniel Sturridge
      Lazar Markovic
      Jon Flanagan
      Marko Grujic

Cameron Brannagan
      Ryan Kent
      Lloyd Jones
      Ovie Ejaria
      Harry Wilson

Turns out you can do business in January  :f_tongueincheek:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #119: Feb 02, 2018 09:57:04 pm
      In:

Virgil van Dijk

Out:

Philippe Coutinho
      Daniel Sturridge
      Lazar Markovic
      Jon Flanagan
      Marko Grujic

Cameron Brannagan
      Ryan Kent
      Lloyd Jones
      Ovie Ejaria
      Harry Wilson

To be fair, we've done well to get rid of Markovic.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #120: Feb 02, 2018 10:04:22 pm
      lot of pressure on van Dijk !
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #121: Feb 02, 2018 10:24:32 pm
      In:

Virgil van Dijk

Out:

Philippe Coutinho
      Daniel Sturridge
      Lazar Markovic
      Jon Flanagan
      Marko Grujic

Cameron Brannagan
      Ryan Kent
      Lloyd Jones
      Ovie Ejaria
      Harry Wilson

Anyone know how much we got off the wage bill? (just curious and not a dig at FSG)
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #122: Feb 02, 2018 10:28:45 pm
      Anyone know how much we got off the wage bill? (just curious and not a dig at FSG)

Looking at those players and figuring VVD I would say somewhere around the 200/250k week.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #123: Feb 02, 2018 11:20:48 pm
      Look...

Klopp only wants certain players. If he can't get them then no one will come in. That's good business for me, no need to sign someone 'just cause'.

VvD is a massive plus, Phil is a massive minus. Would have loved another striking option, if Bobby gets an injury we are up sh*t creek.

Agree Mags.   

A few years ago we blew 200- 300 mill on mostly sh*te.
      They were qualified as being "Squad" or "Team" players. Was bollocks.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #124: Feb 03, 2018 06:13:08 am
      Sincerely hope I'm wrong but not bringing in a creator type playmaker could very well be our downfall, even if said player was not a no1 target,
      We all cringed at our lack of creactivity from our mids against Swans & particularly the 'Baggies',
      If we have no one who can provide that killer pass or piece of inventiveness its going to be very frustrating trying to get passed the bus parkers, and we have plenty of buses coming to Anfield in the not too distant future,

Klopp's reliance on his mids is a tad worrisome for me, we're already aware that Henderson, Gini are not consistent, that Jimmy hasn't got the legs anymore, that Chamberlain has up and down form and thst Emre has his mind elsewhere and saying 'Aufeidersed' in May,

Its a huge gamble he's taking imo, and i hope it pays off,
      Personally, i would have told Barca f**k off t'il May, still brought in Virgil, a DM and back up for Bobby,

It was inevitable Cou would be gone, we knew this last summer, so why weaken our squad by selling mid season and before bringing in a replacement of some kind, albeit a temporary one, we need it because we lack creactivity without it, yes we have Lallana but he's as reliable as Sturridge was right now.

Like i said i hope I'm wrong but we're two /three bad results away from a decidedly avarage season  !!

YNWA

« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2018 06:17:29 am by billythered »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #125: Feb 03, 2018 10:20:24 am
      Look...

Klopp only wants certain players. If he can't get them then no one will come in. That's good business for me, no need to sign someone 'just cause'.

VvD is a massive plus, Phil is a massive minus. Would have loved another striking option, if Bobby gets an injury we are up sh*t creek.

I suppose that is fair but you would hope in all honesty for Klopp to be ruthless and as one sighted as possible in that case in putting the needs of Liverpool above and beyond anything else.

By that I mean if deals for players he wants cannot be done and he is unwilling to look at other targets, then he, with help and support from FSG should not be sanctioning big sales and leaving us with holes in the team.

Coutinho should have been told he had to wait, and with a world cup on the horizon he would have waited, and Sturridge should have been told he was to stay here as back up despite of the world cup.

He/FSG have given two lads their moves that they wanted but where has that left us now? An injury to Firmino away from Solankie or Ings leading our line and a current lack of class in midfield.

Basically if you are going to be stubborn in the market with incomings, he should be as equally stubborn in terms of who and when he lets players already contracted to the club leave.
      Kopite78
      Reply #126: Feb 03, 2018 10:28:16 am
      Look...

That's fair and I fully back Jürgen in shaping his perfect squad.

But I fail to believe had we pushed the boat out we couldn't have gotten one of those targets last month
      Or not let coutinho go

Why are we easier to get our star players out than RBL  or even Dortmund?
      We shouldn't be
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #127: Feb 04, 2018 01:22:50 pm
      That's fair and I fully back Jürgen in shaping his perfect squad.

But I fail to believe had we pushed the boat out we couldn't have gotten one of those targets last month
      Or not let coutinho go

Why are we easier to get our star players out than RBL  or even Dortmund?
      We shouldn't be
      it's because we didn't cut the purse strings
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #128: Feb 04, 2018 03:35:35 pm
      I think the signing of VVD was important we really need to work on our defence.  We were bold and aggressive and got our man be it 6 months late.  The impact he has on the defence will inevitably measure our success in this window.    Personally,  I really wanted a goalie, but not just an improvement on what we have but a really good quality and if that means wait till summer.  I can wait.  The thing is with the Coutinho money in our pockets everyone was trying pickpocket us.  Even City do not seem to be going that aggressive in the transfer market on one player.   But we were desperate and rightly didn’t take any risks.

It seems to me that Klopp doesn’t like to sign players in January unless it is a deal that is hanging over from the Summer.   He prefers to do have new recruits in the summer.   With the January window most of the time adding a premium on transfers the club aren’t going to force the issue, I think.

Quick Reply