Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

The remainder of the 2017-18 campaign

Read 20838 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      The remainder of the 2017-18 campaign
      Jan 31, 2018 10:49:51 pm
      Three points behind United with 13 matches to go. We've got Spurs at home, United away and Chelsea away.

The other 10 matches are Southampton, Everton, Palace and West Brom away, plus West Ham, Watford, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Stoke City and Brighton at home.

I realize there are Champions League matches as well (hopefully more than two), but this is a pretty favorable schedule. We have every opportunity to make a very strong claim for that runner-up slot. Like to get 25 points out of 30 against the non-bigs and a win, draw and a loss against the heavies, that would put us in 2nd pretty easily I think (79 points overall).

Not saying this would be easy. It would be slightly better points per game than our average thus far,  and so many of these teams are going to be in a relegation fight (more than half the league at the moment), but it is doable.

I know City have the spot we really want, but this would represent a pretty decent step forward in the journey toward much bigger things. I'm looking forward to seeing this group finish the season strong as Klopp keeps building.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Re: The remainder of the 2017-18 campaign
      Reply #1: Jan 31, 2018 11:38:53 pm
      50 points from 25 games is already up at the upper end of our performances over the last handful of years so I'd say continuing in a similar vein, 76 points looks the kind of ballpark figure.  Don't think we'll reach 80, and that's down to the killer draw.  We need to be an enormous amount more gung ho when we're drawing games - and be prepared to sacrifice a couple of defeats for those extra wins. 

A lot of people were saying about our good form last year that it was down to not having any European football.  Well on that basis, having earned a point more and with our 8 games in the European Cup added in I suppose that might be looked upon as minor progress.

Would like to think we'd score more than last year, would hope (but City and Spurs results didn't help) that we'd concede less goals than last year, but we may not end up on more points and may not necessarily finish any higher.

I think we're better than United, and I think we're better even than current champions Chelsea.  If we can finish second then we will have had a consistent final 13 games.  I'll take a punt on 2nd with 76 points.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2: Feb 01, 2018 12:18:45 am
      50 points from 25 games is already up at the upper end of our performances over the last handful of years so I'd say continuing in a similar vein, 76 points looks the kind of ballpark figure.  Don't think we'll reach 80, and that's down to the killer draw.  We need to be an enormous amount more gung ho when we're drawing games - and be prepared to sacrifice a couple of defeats for those extra wins. 

A lot of people were saying about our good form last year that it was down to not having any European football.  Well on that basis, having earned a point more and with our 8 games in the European Cup added in I suppose that might be looked upon as minor progress.

Would like to think we'd score more than last year, would hope (but City and Spurs results didn't help) that we'd concede less goals than last year, but we may not end up on more points and may not necessarily finish any higher.

I think we're better than United, and I think we're better even than current champions Chelsea.  If we can finish second then we will have had a consistent final 13 games.  I'll take a punt on 2nd with 76 points.
      76 will be around 4th. I think teams will need around 86 for second. City will probably have around 100. Doubt people can get 2nd with 76.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3: Feb 01, 2018 12:30:10 am

We have every chance of getting 2nd place but we need Vvd to settle fast and Mane to start finding some form.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #4: Feb 01, 2018 12:42:03 am
      I think teams will need around 86 for second

Need 86 pts? So 3rd place are going to be on 85 points then?

Not v likely with 39 points left and games against each other.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,169 posts | 520 
      Reply #5: Feb 01, 2018 09:57:06 am
      76 will be around 4th. I think teams will need around 86 for second. City will probably have around 100. Doubt people can get 2nd with 76.

Rib, think you need a new abacus mate.  ;D
      Kopite78
      Reply #6: Feb 01, 2018 09:59:47 am

Rib, think you need a new abacus mate.  ;D

I know

So he thinks second will get 33-36 out of 39 points available when teams still have to play each other

Fingers and toes required
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #7: Feb 01, 2018 12:58:33 pm
      I have them winning 9, losing two and drawing two the rest of the way to reach that target. That will take some doing. 10 more points than that I think is pretty unrealistic. Basically we'd have to win 12 of 13. I'd love it, but I haven't seen that level from us yet.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #8: Feb 01, 2018 01:21:27 pm
      Top 4 is a must. It's pointless dipping or toes in the CL, one year in three years out. We've topped our group and we're in the last 16. If we go further that's great but at our first time of asking after being out of the CL for a while I think we've done ok up til now.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #9: Feb 01, 2018 01:37:20 pm
      Top 4 is a must. It's pointless dipping or toes in the CL, one year in three years out.

I think we can all agree that nobody in the history of the game could live with City's form this season.  We've got one of our best points totals at this stage and we're what? 18 points behind them? 

Target should be trying to win the mini-league of 19 teams behind them.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #10: Feb 01, 2018 01:38:31 pm
      I think we can expect much less rotation in general. I think our team will more or less looks like:

-----------------Karius
      Gomez-----Matip-------VvD-------Robertson
      ---------------Henderson
      ----------Ox-----------Lallana
      Mane----------Bobby-----------Salah

With Can or Gini most likely playing in the bigger games to give added bite in midfield.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #11: Feb 01, 2018 01:41:24 pm
      I was expecting a 4th & above spot finish with a domestic cup...that's not going to happen.

What might happen you ask...?

Well,we may finish 2nd in the league & lift the champions league trophy, now that I would not have expected but it's very very possible...what an end to the season aye..
      « Last Edit: Feb 01, 2018 01:45:25 pm by Shabs »
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #12: Feb 01, 2018 01:44:15 pm
      2nd in the league and old big ears number 6
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #13: Feb 01, 2018 08:31:08 pm
      Quote from Robby The Z
      Three points behind United with 13 matches to go. We've got Spurs at home, United away and Chelsea away.

The other 10 matches are Southampton, Everton, Palace and West Brom away, plus West Ham, Watford, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Stoke City and Brighton at home.

I realize there are Champions League matches as well (hopefully more than two), but this is a pretty favorable schedule. We have every opportunity to make a very strong claim for that runner-up slot. Like to get 25 points out of 30 against the non-bigs and a win, draw and a loss against the heavies, that would put us in 2nd pretty easily I think (79 points overall).

The schedule is not favourable. The big home games end this weekend. All the other big games are away after that. Chelsea as the last away game stands out. Not to mention the other tricky aways against sides parking the bus looking for any point at all, to get them away from the drop zone. We do have the last game at home, which is great if we get through the others before it, without too many slip ups.

Top 4 will do, but if we can get 2nd, we should go for it. It will be no disgrace or failure to finish there this year, considering how the league in general has gone this season. All the title races in the major European leagues are already run.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #14: Feb 01, 2018 10:21:49 pm
      The schedule is not favourable. The big home games end this weekend. All the other big games are away after that. Chelsea as the last away game stands out. Not to mention the other tricky aways against sides parking the bus looking for any point at all, to get them away from the drop zone. We do have the last game at home, which is great if we get through the others before it, without too many slip ups.

Top 4 will do, but if we can get 2nd, we should go for it. It will be no disgrace or failure to finish there this year, considering how the league in general has gone this season. All the title races in the major European leagues are already run.

Only three major opponent matches left, so one being at home is just one less than two being away. But 10 of our 13 remaining leagues matches are against teams we should be beating, and two more of those are at home than away. As I mentioned, most of those 10 matches will be against teams with some concern about relegation given the current table and most of them will play rather defensively if  not out-and-out a bus-parking tactic. In the end, the team has to perform, but the schedule is not all that daunting.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15: Feb 02, 2018 02:02:51 am
      Agree with the 19 team mini league.

Was happy to finish top four .... but if we hit another run of form we can pull back the Scum and split the Madchester teams.

Second would be a good season... and as far as we can go in the CL.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,358 posts | 1028 
      Reply #16: Feb 02, 2018 06:53:29 am
      Only three major opponent matches left, so one being at home is just one less than two being away. But 10 of our 13 remaining leagues matches are against teams we should be beating, and two more of those are at home than away. As I mentioned, most of those 10 matches will be against teams with some concern about relegation given the current table and most of them will play rather defensively if  not out-and-out a bus-parking tactic. In the end, the team has to perform, but the schedule is not all that daunting.
      It’s those teams that have me worried.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,255 posts | 1659 
      Reply #17: Feb 02, 2018 07:24:36 am
      Just got to roll our sleeves up and get on with it and see if we can through until Summer unscathed. Think a little light by one in attack but barring injuries in a good position to get top 4 and hopefully get to qtr final at least  in champs league
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #18: Feb 02, 2018 10:41:22 am
      There is no reason why we shouldn't be aiming for 2nd place in the league, we are only 3 points behind Manure now.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #19: Feb 02, 2018 01:29:55 pm
      As long as we play well i don't see why we can't get 31 points from our remaining games, which would put us on 81 for the season.  That should be enough for 3rd or 2nd place.

Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,217 posts | 1386 
      Reply #20: Feb 02, 2018 01:55:18 pm
      We need to beat Spurs as a 5 point buffer will be needed, although over last 5 games we are top of the pile.

2nd, 3rd, 4th are all up for grabs.But any talk of us having the easier run in is daft. The 10 games left against teams outside the top 5 will be a battle. Those teams won't field weaker sides, focusing on games they can win. They play to win and none of them will roll over. They'll all be dangerous.

Being out of the domestic cups isn't such a bad thing. The squad is perhaps a little iffy in terms of back up strike force. Would've kept Sturridge, one good game from him puts him back in the frame as a serious alternative to Firmino/ Mane. Letting him go on loan didn't make sense.

Must have been a breakdown or some such grief. May be Klopp just won't use a player if he thinks that player is not giving 100% on the training field.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #21: Feb 02, 2018 04:32:29 pm

So that would realistically enough allow us to lose 3 more and draw 2 more. This team is hard to judge but:

9 very winnable games:
      HOME                     AWAY
      West Ham               Southampton
      Newcastle               Crystal Palace
      Watford                  West Brom
      Bournemouth
      Stoke
      Brighton

Winnable but tough:
      Spurs                     Everton

Any result a bonus
                                   Man United
                                   Chelsea

I'd definitely expect 76 points.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,919 posts | 4984 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #22: Feb 02, 2018 05:36:15 pm
      A major factor not mentioned is staying clear of injuries...this is absolutely pivotal if we have aspirations of finishing higher than 4th and obviously the latter stages of the CL,

We could probably cope with losing one or two matches but losing key players for any number of weeks could prove very damaging and most probably scupper chances of top 3..

...you would have thought bringing in back up in Jan would have alleviated concerns ...alas it was not to be and now we can only hope we don't get bit on the arse...anyhoo enough of the negativity, we are in the driving seat as far as a top 4 finish is concerned and i believe that when we mash the Spuds on Sunday will virtually guarantee that we will .

ONWARDS & UPWARDS !!

YNWA

Quick Reply