Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The remainder of the 2017-18 campaign

Read 20715 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: The remainder of the 2017-18 campaign
      Reply #46: Feb 13, 2018 03:04:12 pm

The original graphic that Sky used last night, but it says that Liverpool need 22 points to get top 4.

7 wins & 1 draw in simple terms. I think it's very doable.

Some of the home games we have are;

West Ham
      Newcastle
      Watford
      Bournemouth
      Stoke
      Brighton

Looking at them 6 alone, and we should be winning those. I know some of them are battling relegation and will put up fights á la Newcastle on Sunday but in theory we should win those 6 games and that is the majority of our battle there.

At this moment in time, we are not in a position where we have to go to OT and beat United, or have to go to the Bridge and beat Chelsea and get wins in order to get top 4. 2 draws there and any other win, lets say for example away to Everton, and in theory we have top 4 sealed. A draw & loss to either of United or Chelsea along with those 6 wins and any other win should see us get the 76 points and get top 4.

Worry about ourselves and we have it. Not relying on others to slip up.

Now of course, those 6 games will probably not all be wins. Our home form is patchy this season. We may struggle to break down teams who will come and play for the draw. Rafa will definitely do that. We are going to rest lads in at least one of the games because of CL football - I would imagine the Newcastle game and maybe an other where Solanke will come in and maybe Ings or Woodburn will get a run on the wing but mapping it out like that makes the task seems somewhat easier to me.

Just to reiterate what I said in the OP. 79 points should be good for 2nd place. We were on 50 points and had 13 matches remaining, 3 against heavies and 10 against lower-ranked teams. I liked us for 25 of 30 against the lowers and 4 of 9 against the highers. We have 3 of 3 and 1 of 3 since then, so need 22 points from 9 and 3 points from 6. 79 should be 2nd, maybe 3rd if United close on a run of good (but excruciatingly boring) form.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #47: Feb 21, 2018 04:37:27 pm
      9 points ahead of Arsenal, effectively 10 points with our goal difference. 

Would be a serious collapse now for us to not finish as a minimum inside the top five.  Would be first two consecutive top five finishes/top four finishes for 9 years.

That long ?

Would be good to ... and to come out "best of the rest" by splitting the two Manc positions.

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #48: Feb 21, 2018 08:56:21 pm
      Looking at that list most of those games are going to be against teams who are going to park the bus, and with our record against bus parkers it isn't going to be as easy as it looks on paper
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #49: Feb 21, 2018 09:20:36 pm
      Second is easily attainable as long as we stay injury free.

little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #50: Feb 26, 2018 01:45:41 pm

Another weekend down, and another weekend closer to matching our league ambition of getting into the top 4 and securing CL football for another season.

We still need 5 wins and 4 draws and I am still looking at our 5 remaining home games to pick up these wins. We then have to pick up 8 points from our remaining 5 away games. 5 home games are all winnable games and IMO, we have to be targeting 15 points from these.

Newcastle,
      Watford
      Bournemouth,
      Stoke,
      Brighton

The Bournemouth one comes after a CL 1/4 final, so we may see some rotation for this one.

The Stoke one  is at the very end of April, so they will no doubt be fighting for their lives. Hopefully they are relegated by then and have nothing to play for, or safe. Whichever is easiest!  :P

As for the aways, they are somebit tricker, but there are some fixtures in which we can pick up points.

United
      Palace
      Everton (sandwiched in between the CL 1/4 finals)
      West Brom
      Chelsea

So we have to pick up 8 points here and straight away the eyes will jump to United & Chelsea. But we are currently in a position where we are not needing to beat either. A draw at both grounds will suffice. If we can keep 4 points ahead of Chelsea before we go to the Bridge, we will get top 4. It's as simple (:D) as that.

United away, while it would be nice to beat them for a number of reasons - they are United and it's always great to beat them, we can overtake them and fight for 2nd place, add pressure to Jose, and also to further our grip on top 4 position. But a draw will do here. As long as we don't lose, and give Chelsea a lifeline.

WBA - these should be relegated by the time we play them and I really hammer these p-ricks cos of the 0-0 earlier in the league and the FA Cup game, which was our best hope of silverware this season.

Everton away - they will be up for this one big time, but they are terrible at the moment. Especially away, and they will set up as the away side in this one, but the fans won't like that and will get on Big Sam's back. They want him out and they will let it known that sitting back at home and parking the bus at home in the derby will not be good enough. We may see rotation for this game also.

Palace will be tough ground to go to, but winnable.

2nd place is there for us to aim for. and if we miss out, well then top 4 is vital. We can do this. Aim for the stars etc...But I am confident that we can get this.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8459 
      Reply #51: Feb 26, 2018 04:35:35 pm

Another weekend down, and another weekend closer to matching our league ambition of getting into the top 4 and securing CL football for another season.

That sentence needs knocking on the head. Our ambition should be to win the f**ker, not just settle for getting in the top four!!

Granted we won't win it this year, but the idea of settling for finishing in the top just does my head, we need to start finding our winning mentality back again.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #52: Feb 26, 2018 05:03:20 pm

We still need 5 wins and 4 draws and I am still looking at our 5 remaining home games to pick up these wins. We then have to pick up 8 points from our remaining 5 away games. 5 home games are all winnable games and IMO, we have to be targeting 15 points from these.

Newcastle,
      Watford
      Bournemouth,
      Stoke,
      Brighton

The Bournemouth one comes after a CL 1/4 final, so we may see some rotation for this one.

The Stoke one  is at the very end of April, so they will no doubt be fighting for their lives. Hopefully they are relegated by then and have nothing to play for, or safe. Whichever is easiest!  :P

As for the aways, they are somebit tricker, but there are some fixtures in which we can pick up points.

United
      Palace
      Everton (sandwiched in between the CL 1/4 finals)
      West Brom
      Chelsea

So we have to pick up 8 points here and straight away the eyes will jump to United & Chelsea. But we are currently in a position where we are not needing to beat either. A draw at both grounds will suffice. If we can keep 4 points ahead of Chelsea before we go to the Bridge, we will get top 4. It's as simple (:D) as that.

United away, while it would be nice to beat them for a number of reasons - they are United and it's always great to beat them, we can overtake them and fight for 2nd place, add pressure to Jose, and also to further our grip on top 4 position. But a draw will do here. As long as we don't lose, and give Chelsea a lifeline.

WBA - these should be relegated by the time we play them and I really hammer these p-ricks cos of the 0-0 earlier in the league and the FA Cup game, which was our best hope of silverware this season.

Everton away - they will be up for this one big time, but they are terrible at the moment. Especially away, and they will set up as the away side in this one, but the fans won't like that and will get on Big Sam's back. They want him out and they will let it known that sitting back at home and parking the bus at home in the derby will not be good enough. We may see rotation for this game also.

Palace will be tough ground to go to, but winnable.

2nd place is there for us to aim for. and if we miss out, well then top 4 is vital. We can do this. Aim for the stars etc...But I am confident that we can get this.

Hate to correct your logic - but ...

if 76 is the target - we need 19 more points - which is your 5 wins , 4 draws and 1 defeat

If you are then saying the 5 homes = 5 wins , then we need just the 4 points (not 8) to take us to 76

ie the 4 draws and a loss

Personally, I think we should be targeting an 80pt season - so 23 more in our last 10 games

7 wins, 2 draws, 1 defeat
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #53: Feb 26, 2018 07:11:43 pm
      We have picked up 23 pts from our last 10 PL games played, so on current form we are on target to achieve 80 pts.

That would be Top 4 guaranteed and one of our best ever pts tally in the PL era, in fact only 4 behind the Suarez injected season.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #54: Feb 26, 2018 07:25:50 pm
      So are we completely writing off both Ings and Solanke then? All I'm saying is that we give them a go, we'd still have Salah, Mane and Bobby either on the pitch as AM's or on the bench ready to come on if it doesn't work. Personally I strongly feel that both Solanke and Ings would play with a striking partner rather than leading the line like Bobby does.

Exactly .

Ings and Solanke need game time with Bobby and Mo needing down time.

Its a balancing act even if some games work on 45 mins each pair.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #55: Feb 28, 2018 04:35:33 am
      Quote from little-Luis:)

The latest fixture changes have been announced. Unsurprisingly, all games have seen the original ko time altered. Everyone wants to watch us play.

3 of the 4 April games are apparently subject to further changes, due to European commitments. Given that we're the only team with such commitments, I don't know why. Especially regarding the Stoke game, why is it still a provisional ko  time?

We should finish in the top 4 anyway, even though the away fixture list is not favourable, and all the home games will mean breaking bus parkers down, with the possible exception of Bournemouth. But if we finish second, we can put City on notice, looking to next season and beyond.
      Harrisimo

• 7,972 posts | 1356 
      Reply #56: Mar 04, 2018 12:09:43 am
      Our biggest away game coming up...Mancheater United at Cold trafford. With Chelsea at home to Crystal Palace it's imperative that we get something out of it. Mourinho picked up Sanchez, good business. We will have to dig deep to keep them out. Sanchez has shook them up a bit.

Big game for Hendo. Accused of not having enough influence when it's difficult. He needs to really lead the side. Could be Ox stands down in place of Milner if fit. Should be able to brush Porto aside without to much exertion. Then up for the big one.

No quarter asked-none given. Every man must do his duty...bring it on.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #57: Mar 04, 2018 06:05:27 pm
      Arsenal beaten again today by Brighton and the Chavs by City    :  4th March.

Puts Chelsea in 5th place and 7 points behind us. Effectively Arsenal now out of CL contention.

A CL place is now ours to lose and its up to us to show that we can be the " Best of the Rest".
      To come in 2nd and beat the Scum should be our final target.

After Porto midweek its the last 8 of the CL.
      Think most of the teams left are more worried about us and our firepower ...than we are against any of them.

Its a great position to be in.
      « Last Edit: Mar 04, 2018 06:11:31 pm by MIRO »
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #58: Mar 04, 2018 07:21:11 pm
      We have had a nailed on top 4 spot for months. However, there are 5 teams still in the European Cup, and we know what happens if 5th wins it. So we still have work to do to make sure we make it next year.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #59: Mar 04, 2018 07:26:10 pm
      We have had a nailed on top 4 spot for months.

Not what some were saying 8 weeks or so ago when we sold Coutinho.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #60: Mar 05, 2018 10:10:13 pm
      Scum Scum Scum.

Late late goal v Palace.

Lets do them next  match ... lets really give it to them.

Want 2nd.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #61: Mar 06, 2018 09:03:55 am
      Scum Scum Scum.

Late late goal v Palace.

Lets do them next  match ... lets really give it to them.

Want 2nd.

Said last night Miro - if we’re on it I don’t believe they can stop us.

I don’t think they’re any more capable defensively than Newcastle.......but they do have more talented forwards.

In a Mourinho setup that’s like having the hottest bird in space suit........
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,237 posts | 752 
      Reply #62: Mar 06, 2018 09:41:41 am
      Finishing second or third, seemingly means the same, automatic qualification to the CL. Although finishing second, being an added bonus of finishing above Man United. Which on current form, would be well deserved.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,822 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #63: Mar 06, 2018 10:53:40 am
      BREAKING NEWS;

Residents of Manchester town have been urged to find alternative transport into the city on Saturday 10th March....

....it has been reported that the Moany one has chartered the entire fleet of buses for the visit of Liverpool FC....

......GET IT UP YE Maureen !!!

YNWA
      Epsomred
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #64: Mar 06, 2018 09:09:39 pm
      My first post here so getting a feel for how it works. If we had played the mancs in the first half last night it would have been 5.0. They were awful. Here’s hoping they play as badly again at the weekend.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #65: Mar 06, 2018 09:48:07 pm
      My first post here so getting a feel for how it works. If we had played the mancs in the first half last night it would have been 5.0. They were awful. Here’s hoping they play as badly again at the weekend.

Welcome and good luck👍
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #66: Mar 11, 2018 05:46:07 pm
      Wins for Spurs and Chelsea have made it all tight again.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #67: Mar 20, 2018 09:20:58 pm
      After beating Watford, and also adding healthily to our Goal Difference, we are in a good position again.

7 points ahead of Chelsea with 14 better GD and 2 points ahead of Spurs with 5 better GD. Albeit one game played more than both.

If we beat Palace away in a couple weeks time, we could be 10 points ahead of Chelsea & 5 points ahead of Spurs, who play each other the next day. Good opportunity for us to build a gap there, to either team.

We need to take advantage of these opportunities as our attention starts to  move onto CL exploits in April.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #68: Mar 31, 2018 05:01:04 pm
      So, what is the best result for us from Chelsea-Spurs tomorrow?

Ordinarily I hope for a draw from these, but I think I like the idea of Spurs winning and us being 10 points ahead of 5th-placed Chelsea at this point of the season. Particularly with us still having to go to Stamford Bridge and no Champions League placement difference between 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Quick Reply