Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The remainder of the 2017-18 campaign

Read 20712 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: The remainder of the 2017-18 campaign
      Reply #92: Apr 01, 2018 10:23:06 pm
      Everton game, weirdly, is possibly an opportunity to rest players? Maybe?
      We have no choice but to rest players against Everton. I assume against Everton we could start like below,

Solanke
                                                                               Mane                     Ings

Ox
                                                                                     Can             Gini

Clyne  Lovren Matip Moreno

Karius

Firmino, Salah, Van Dijk, Henderson and Robertson on the bench for if needed.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #93: Apr 01, 2018 11:58:28 pm
      Quote from JD
      Assuming Chelsea win all their games, which they won't, then we need 11 points to qualify for the CL.

I think 3 wins from 6 will end up being enough, and possibly 2 if one of them is v Chelsea.

If he rests players for it, there will be uproar and outrage, as there was the last time. Everton away is not really the best time to rest players, as the fixture is their season in a nutshell, so we need to be up for it. All hands have to be on deck, at least until the game at City is over. It might not be ideal, but there isn't much choice tbh.

Now that the top 4 place is pretty much in the bag, we're in the very weird position of wanting to go second next week, then hoping the team above us win a few hours later. But finishing second this year is not like any other year. It's actually a very progressive season for this club, strange as it may seem.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #94: Apr 02, 2018 01:00:33 am
      This situation is very different to last time.  We have a small matter of a quarter final of the champions league at stake. People will understand if changes are made.  It all depends on what happens on Wednesday. 
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #95: Apr 02, 2018 01:38:06 am
      Assuming Chelsea win all their games, which they won't, then we need 11 points to qualify for the CL.

I think 3 wins from 6 will end up being enough, and possibly 2 if one of them is v Chelsea.

Likely no more than a couple, barring injury. the higher mileage (kilometerage?) positions like fullback and maybe a midfielder or two I could see him freshening up for Everton, but not wholesale changes. Lallana and Gomez being out my restrict even these modest switches, however.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #96: Apr 02, 2018 02:40:33 am
      I said to one of my best mates who's a bluenose that id happily throw the Derby now if it meant that we had a full, fit, fresh team going into the second leg.

Any close scoreline on wednesday night then I don't want to see any player start in the Derby who will be playing in the second leg. I don't trust Everton and their horrible yard dog sam allardyce tactics. You just know that gravy swigging c**t will be saying to his team 'get at these, they won't want to know, make sure you go in hard'. It's their cup final. They have nothing left to play for and we do. So what they'll have bragging rights for a day or two, it's seriously not worth risking any of our players. And to be honest, I fancy our fringe players to do them anyway! They're F***ing sh*te!

I'd only go full strength against Everton if city somehow smash us by 3 or 4 on Wednesday and the tie is over.

After Chelsea's loss today we would seriously have to F**k up big time to not finish top four now. We can afford to rest players.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #97: Apr 02, 2018 03:15:27 am
      Resting players against the blueshite can F**k right off, don't have the depth to do it
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #98: Apr 02, 2018 05:15:08 am
      Resting players against the blueshite can f**k right off, don't have the depth to do it

Mignolet

Trent
      Clyne
      Lovren
      Klavan
      Moreno

Hendo
      Milner

Woodburn
      Ings
      Solanke

Mignolet

Clyne    Lovren   Klavan

Trent                                    Moreno

Hendo Milner

Ings    Solanke     Woodburn

If lallana hadnt injured himself on sat then he'd be in the above team. As he's now unavailable then I'd have to start Milner. But there's enough bodies there to put a fringe side out.

Then my team for the second leg would be:

Karius

Milner
      Matip
      VVD
      Robbo

Can
      Gini
      Ox

Salah
      Mane
      Bobby

Keep them fresh. Keep them wrapped up.

After Chelsea's defeat today, we don't HAVE to get three points at goodison. We obviously all want too, but we have a list of priorities and the Derby falls short behind the European cup.

I would be raging if we play a full strength side in the Derby and one of their gobs***e players injured one of our key lads. Imagine some little pr**k like Rooney going through salah and putting him out for the rest of the season? It's just not worth the risk.

And call me paranoid but I actually think they would purposely go out their way to try and do something like that as well. Purposely interfere with our season. They are vile like that and Liverpools failure is evertons success.

Fat sam hates us and will want to do us over. It's their cup final. And any key player starts in the Derby might not go into tackles fully committed because they'll have one eye on the second leg. They'll probably be under orders not to from klopp. And that will only work to evertons advantage. Their players will sense it.

So I'd rather not risk anyone and I'd rather play 11 lads who are fighting for their places and have a point to prove. Let's see what they can do.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #99: Apr 02, 2018 03:09:47 pm
      I said to one of my best mates who's a bluenose that id happily throw the Derby now if it meant that we had a full, fit, fresh team going into the second leg.

Any close scoreline on wednesday night then I don't want to see any player start in the Derby who will be playing in the second leg. I don't trust Everton and their horrible yard dog sam allardyce tactics. You just know that gravy swigging c**t will be saying to his team 'get at these, they won't want to know, make sure you go in hard'. It's their cup final. They have nothing left to play for and we do. So what they'll have bragging rights for a day or two, it's seriously not worth risking any of our players. And to be honest, I fancy our fringe players to do them anyway! They're f**king sh*te!

I'd only go full strength against Everton if city somehow smash us by 3 or 4 on Wednesday and the tie is over.

After Chelsea's loss today we would seriously have to f**k up big time to not finish top four now. We can afford to rest players.

I don't trust that small club. Remember what happened to Origi? Remember the loss vs Man City at home on purpose in the 13/14 season? Notice how they always lose to teams around us? I have no doubt they will F**k us up to stop our progression in the CL.

I agree with you, rest our strong players and play a weakened team vs those cu*ts if our match goes well vs City.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #100: Apr 02, 2018 03:13:18 pm
      I also agree with resting players against the bitters.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that Mr Potato Head will be sending his sh*te out to injure our lads and F**k us over before the City game.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #101: Apr 02, 2018 03:35:04 pm
      Resting players against the blueshite can f**k right off, don't have the depth to do it

Have to prioritise the CL mate. Be absolutely bonkers not too. The way to get at city is to press their back four. There’s no way our lads will be up to it come the 2nd leg if the majority have played 3 games in the previous 11 days.

Were 10 points clear in the league. Play the ressies at Goodison. I don’t see any other choice. Unless were 5-0 up from the first leg of course 👍
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #102: Apr 03, 2018 11:03:29 am
      Its all about momentum.

I will start my best team for all 3 matches.

Salah will be the first name on my team sheet.

Planning to win all the matches till the end of the season.

that's what true big teams/ champions do. And we have tried this resting of players before and it imploded right on our faces.
      I play all my big players at the start and them take them out after the match is supposedly in the bag.

Just my thoughts.

Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #103: Apr 08, 2018 05:22:27 pm
      Chelsea winning their games in hand would bring them 5 points behind us.

Hopefully we match their results until the Bridge game and snatch a draw against them, confirming top-4. Bournemouth(H), West Brom (A), Stoke (H) should be 9 points..
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,235 posts | 752 
      Reply #104: Apr 08, 2018 06:09:58 pm
      Hopefully Chelsea carry on slipping up, on their games in hand. Have a good chance of at least drawing, if not beating the Chavs, the way the side are performing.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #105: Apr 08, 2018 06:24:55 pm
      Chelsea winning their games in hand would bring them 5 points behind us.

Hopefully we match their results until the Bridge game and snatch a draw against them, confirming top-4. Bournemouth(H), West Brom (A), Stoke (H) should be 9 points..

Spoke too soon, didn't I? ☺

Win the next 3, seal the top-4!!  :scarf:
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #106: Apr 08, 2018 07:25:43 pm
      Cracking result for us today with Chelsea dropping points and I think it shows just how wrong things are with the whole Conte situation.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #107: Apr 08, 2018 08:30:35 pm
      Cracking result for us today with Chelsea dropping points and I think it shows just how wrong things are with the whole Conte situation.

Agree on both. I feel so much better about our situation re the league now than I did yesterday. Three wins out of five matches....surely. Bournemouth and Brighton both at home won't really have anything to play for (and of course we are better than them on quality). Stoke will be fighting desperately but again, we are so much better than them. West Brom away is another there are no excuses for not getting three points from, so the Chelsea match shouldn't even matter re securing a top four spot (wouldn't mind pipping Spurs for 3rd, mind).

I don't want to talk about the semifinal dates until after we secure our spot on Tuesday night, but another round of debate over rotation is likely on the way.

Come on boys! Let's make sure Klopp has such a wonderful dilemma to ponder.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #108: Apr 08, 2018 09:59:32 pm
      10 wins to go.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #109: Apr 09, 2018 02:00:24 am

Super Cup win would be counted in 2018-19 campaign IIRC.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #110: Apr 09, 2018 02:10:29 am

Yes, I count 9 as well. Aussie?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #111: Apr 09, 2018 02:39:22 am

Even F***ing better. That's twice I've miscounted now. Thanks peeps.
      Harrisimo

• 7,970 posts | 1356 
      Reply #112: Apr 09, 2018 11:13:13 am
      Chelsea draw was a big result for us. Think Tony Conte has been undermined a bit at Chelsea. Abramovic casts a huge shadow and is always looking at greener grass when he should be giving the manager suport.

Lost count of the managers Abramovic  has gone thru. Conte shouldn't be looking over his shoulder all the time. We have benefitted from the uncertainty.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #113: Apr 09, 2018 11:33:10 am
      Our loss at United combined with Chelsea winning that weekend gave them a sniff but I think we really do have to have a spectacular collapse to not finish in the top four now. Good looking run of games coming up and I just don't see Chelsea winning 6 games in a row either.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #114: Apr 09, 2018 11:44:37 am
      Win the next 3, seal the top-4!!

9 points required, possibly just 8 if our goal difference is taken into account.

And if we were to beat Chelsea then we'll only need 2 wins from 5. 

Aside from all that, it was looking like the City-Spurs game was going to be a bit of a dead rubber so at least now they have some further motivation as the title isn't officially wrapped up for this week.

Quick Reply