Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The remainder of the 2017-18 campaign

Read 20703 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Re: The remainder of the 2017-18 campaign
      Reply #115: Apr 14, 2018 11:35:40 pm
      City move a step closer to the Title and the cheats drop 3 points. Been said before I'm sure but De Bruyne is looking more and more Gerrard like as the season comes to an end.

So it's between De Bruyne and Mo Salah for Footballer of the Year. Salah will win it and to beat a player as great as Kevin De Bruyne is something in itself.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #116: Apr 14, 2018 11:50:50 pm
      City move a step closer to the Title and the cheats drop 3 points. Been said before I'm sure but De Bruyne is looking more and more Gerrard like as the season comes to an end.

So it's between De Bruyne and Mo Salah for Footballer of the Year. Salah will win it and to beat a player as great as Kevin De Bruyne is something in itself.

I agree, the way De Bruyne moves really reminds me of Gerrard. Just needs to add the pile drivers and big game goals to match him.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #117: Apr 15, 2018 12:05:53 am
      I agree, the way De Bruyne moves really reminds me of Gerrard. Just needs to add the pile drivers and big game goals to match him.

Doesn't quite dominate from the center circle or take a game by the scruf or turn it round single handed as Gerrard did but Gerrard was the best modern day midfielder of his generation. De Bruyne is box to box in the same way Gerrard was for most of his career. De Bruyne can cut a defense in half or put in a defense splitting pass so reminiscent of Gerrard. Has a razor sharpe football brain, strong, hell of a shot on him as well.

Not putting him in Gerrard's class just yet but De Bruyne is a class act for sure and is arguable the best midfielder in the Premier League. He's made for the quicker, tougher Premier league. We did fantastically well to limit his influence against us in the C/L.

If Mo gets the Footballer of the year in front of de Bruyne then he has beat the best.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #118: Apr 15, 2018 12:48:17 am
      7 wins to go...comeeooonnnnnnnnnn
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #119: Apr 15, 2018 02:05:09 am
      Baggies  (a)   Stoke (h)  Chavs  (a)  and  Brighton (h) .

12 points to go for with a max of 82 points.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #120: Apr 15, 2018 02:44:25 am
      Baggies  (a)   Stoke (h)  Chavs  (a)  and  Brighton (h) .

12 points to go for with a max of 82 points.

Two wins, three losses and four draws against the other teams from the top 6 (with one such match to go).

18 wins, 1 loss and 6 draws from everyone else - (with three more of that type of opponent to face).

Last season it was more that the dropped points were against the bottom 14.

Next season it will need to be both/and.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #121: Apr 15, 2018 03:23:56 pm
      So, with Rafa doing one over the Arse, the latter will 'officially' finish below us! Now, win at West Brom next week and hope Sean Dyche can do one over Conte, and we'll 'officially' seal the top-4 spot!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #122: Apr 15, 2018 06:01:38 pm
      Thanks Baggies.

We're pulling them in ......  ;D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #123: Apr 15, 2018 07:24:45 pm
      Thanks Baggies.

We're pulling them in ......  ;D

actually that may have been better than seeing United eliminated by losing to City.

Us rising to 2nd is at least a possibility now. Just keep winning, Reds.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #124: Apr 15, 2018 08:45:10 pm
      We’ve played WBA twice this season and not won.

This won’t be a pushover. Some teams just seem to be able to stifle us and I think WBA are one of them.

Fingers crossed we put them to the sword this time.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #125: Apr 15, 2018 09:06:50 pm
      So we need 2 wins from our final 4 games to guarantee a top 4 finish. Alternatively one win and a draw against Chelsea would also pretty much guarantee it (assuming they don't overturn our GD which is currently +19 by comparison). It's a real shame Saints couldn't hold on for at least a point because we'd basically be home and dry.

As for the Baggies game at the weekend I'd expect a similar line-up to the Mersey derby, maybe even slightly weaker. Have to prioritise the semi-final and show some faith in the squad players to get it done at West Brom.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #126: Apr 15, 2018 10:43:15 pm
      We’ve played WBA twice this season and not won.

This won’t be a pushover. Some teams just seem to be able to stifle us and I think WBA are one of them.

Fingers crossed we put them to the sword this time.

Yes, the other takeaway from takeaway is that we have to be careful next week - something we should already know from our own matchups with them in cup and league play.

A lot of talk about rotation before the Roma match and I get it....but be careful.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #127: Apr 15, 2018 10:46:54 pm
      So we need 2 wins from our final 4 games to guarantee a top 4 finish. Alternatively one win and a draw against Chelsea would also pretty much guarantee it (assuming they don't overturn our GD which is currently +19 by comparison). It's a real shame Saints couldn't hold on for at least a point because we'd basically be home and dry.

As for the Baggies game at the weekend I'd expect a similar line-up to the Mersey derby, maybe even slightly weaker. Have to prioritise the semi-final and show some faith in the squad players to get it done at West Brom.

I can see Clyne (if he's fit) and Moreno at fullback. The normal rotation at midfield (as we only have four to play three spots) and maybe one change up front, with perhaps Mane and Mo each playing 45 at one of the wide spots and hoping to sub Bobby off fairly early depending on the match. Top four IS pretty much a certainty, but I expect Klopp to try and finish as high in the table as he can.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #128: Apr 15, 2018 11:56:22 pm
      I can see Clyne (if he's fit) and Moreno at fullback. The normal rotation at midfield (as we only have four to play three spots) and maybe one change up front, with perhaps Mane and Mo each playing 45 at one of the wide spots and hoping to sub Bobby off fairly early depending on the match. Top four IS pretty much a certainty, but I expect Klopp to try and finish as high in the table as he can.

I think he'll rest Firmino and Salah once again with Mane, Ings and Solanke in the front three. I'd be tempted to start Woodburn and rest Sadio myself. It's all about the semi final.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #129: Apr 16, 2018 02:08:58 am
      I think he'll rest Firmino and Salah once again with Mane, Ings and Solanke in the front three. I'd be tempted to start Woodburn and rest Sadio myself. It's all about the semi final.

I would like for Woodburn to at least get on the pitch at some point.

Speaking of Mo, I knew about the Liverpool single season record, but I didn't realize he was so close to breaking the Premier League single-season goals record. That's a pretty cool thing to have happen in your first season for a club.

Edit (it's 31 goals for 38 games, 34 for 42 games)
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #130: Apr 16, 2018 04:30:47 am
      Chelsea are playing Burnley away this mid week, so there is that. If Burnley can get a result there (quite likely), we'll be almost there ( which we already are IMO).
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #131: Apr 16, 2018 10:51:09 am
      Should we play our first team this Saturday with Roma on the Tuesday?

If we don't then the players will be going a long time without a game time and can be rusty and if we do they get only two days full rest?

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #132: Apr 16, 2018 10:54:39 am
      With our goal difference in reality we only need 5 pts so one win and a draw.

Top 4 pretty much assured.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #133: Apr 16, 2018 11:01:50 am

maths not your strong point?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #134: Apr 16, 2018 11:06:23 am

;D you got me there  :D

trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #135: Apr 16, 2018 11:07:47 am
      Just keep going until we are gaurenteed top 4 and if there's games left to spare then maybe start some of the promising youngsters and squad players, I think the likes of Mané,Salah and Firmino amoungst others, deserve their rest. It makes no difference to me this season wether we finish 2nd,3rd or 4th. We are an improving side but top 4 is a must to get in the extra revenue for better players. It would be nice to pip the Mancs to 2nd but not a priority.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #136: Apr 16, 2018 12:04:47 pm

I agree, we must NOT risk our star players against that team of Neanderthals, West Brom, plus if they park the bus as they normally do then it negates our front 3 anyway. The result against Manure was a fluke result, they really are a sh*t team and even with our second string we should be able to beat them but I'd be OK with a draw if it meant all our players were safe and fresh for Roma.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #137: Apr 16, 2018 12:08:54 pm

and that is assuming Chelsea win all their remaining games which they just don't look like being able to do, especially since one of them is against us and if we need to we can just play defensive and hit on the counter, like we did against Citeh, knowing that a draw would be good enough, probably.

Quick Reply