Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Porto?

Loris Karius
      1 (0.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (1.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (3.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      7 (5.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (1.5%)
      James Milner
      19 (14.5%)
      Sadio Mane
      77 (58.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      11 (8.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (4.6%)
      Danny Ings
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: Feb 18, 2018 09:40:02 pm

FC Porto 0-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30971 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: FC Porto 0-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #345: Feb 14, 2018 11:55:56 pm
      What strikes me of late is that we don't need to be swarming all over the opponents in periods of intense pressure in order to score like Tottenham do. At any phase in the game, regardless of who's dominating possession, we always seem able to strike at any moment without warning.

All about that counter.
      Frightening pace.

Teams in Europe (Except for United) will play more open football.
      Klopp's time to shine.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #346: Feb 14, 2018 11:56:17 pm
      What strikes me of late is that we don't need to be swarming all over the opponents in periods of intense pressure in order to score like Tottenham do. At any phase in the game, regardless of who's dominating possession, we always seem able to strike at any moment without warning.

We definitely seem to have learned the art of game management in the last few games, that's for sure.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #347: Feb 14, 2018 11:57:53 pm
      Was a lot of talk from Porto about how they can match us. Think we showed them different!

Lot's of these "Top Teams" will talk about how they can match us, including your Barca's and your Real's but what we did tonight sent a message out to them all, don't take the piss and If your gonna play us, then we'll give you a proper game of footy !
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #348: Feb 14, 2018 11:58:16 pm
      We definitely seem to have learned the art of game management in the last few games, that's for sure.

Karius is looking settled, Robertson is miles ahead of Moreno and Big Virgil breeds confidence into the back 4. 
      3 changes have managed games better.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #349: Feb 15, 2018 12:00:11 am
      I'd pick Didi Hamann more so than Mash If I'm honest HS, but yeah, Imagine......

Nah sorry mate can't stand that Tory anymore and even more since Jürgen didn't give him a post in the coaching team he has been having constant sly digs in the press.

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #350: Feb 15, 2018 12:00:19 am
      Karius is looking settled, Robertson is miles ahead of Moreno and Big Virgil breeds confidence into the back 4. 

and Emre Can wasn't even on the pitch...or Coutinho for that matter !
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #351: Feb 15, 2018 12:00:32 am

It's unbelievable how far ahead Robbo is ahead of Moreno.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #352: Feb 15, 2018 12:02:08 am

Moreno has no football brain.
      Make no mistake, Robertson is an athlete, you'd have to be to run that much, but his positioning is greatly needed.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,013 posts | 3953 
      Reply #353: Feb 15, 2018 12:03:15 am
      Was tempted to give MOTM to Milner or Big Virgil,
      but if you score 3 you deserve it.

Definitely one of the 'take no sh*t' crew.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #354: Feb 15, 2018 12:04:07 am
      Nah sorry mate can't stand that Tory anymore and even more since Jürgen didn't give him a post in the coaching team he has been having constant sly digs in the press.

Fair point, didn't know he'd been blaggin in the press.
      He was good though.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #355: Feb 15, 2018 12:04:22 am

I'm more confident of us scoring from an opposition corner than the opposition themselves :D

Makes you wonder how it took so long for him to get a game.

Super pumped still. BOOM!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #356: Feb 15, 2018 12:07:00 am
      Dealt with the first 10 minutes of pressure from Porto then we really took over. Again like the last game got a break with the goalkeeping error on 1st goal but unlike the weekend we really built off it and show ruthlessness throughout the whole game. Great to see Mane break through with few goals as the past few game was having a tough time finishing. Milner I thought too was very good at breaking up plays in the middle and offering more attacking ability then he tends to. It is really the best outcome we could of wished for.

Great thing with such a big advantage and looking at the fixture list Klopp can rest some key players if needed before our trip to Old Trafford on the weekend.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #357: Feb 15, 2018 12:16:58 am
      Dealt with the first 10 minutes of pressure from Porto then we really took over. Again like the last game got a break with the goalkeeping error on 1st goal but unlike the weekend we really built off it and show ruthlessness throughout the whole game. Great to see Mane break through with few goals as the past few game was having a tough time finishing. Milner I thought too was very good at breaking up plays in the middle and offering more attacking ability then he tends to. It is really the best outcome we could of wished for.

Great thing with such a big advantage and looking at the fixture list Klopp can rest some key players if needed before our trip to Old Trafford on the weekend.

Agree Adam, It does annoy me about Milner how he played really well, as you say, breaking it up in midfield, putting in some bite and setting up assists, running about like he's just been fitted with a fresh Duracell battery and then he goes missing in a Premier league game.

Andrew Robertson's the new Duracell anyway !

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #358: Feb 15, 2018 12:24:14 am
      Brilliant all around the park well done Jürgen and the boys!
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #359: Feb 15, 2018 12:24:16 am
      Based on that performance tonight, would any of you doubt we could go on and win Big Ears for the sixth time?

City,United,Chelsea,Spurs...we could get past any of them, and we might have to. Real or Barca..mmm....if we're going to honest and look at it realistically...I mean yes we are not some 33/1 outsiders and we are in fact about 10/1 with most bookies which is about our mark.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #360: Feb 15, 2018 01:23:31 am
      Oh my god. I've probably never been more wet my whole life, as Porto decided to do a nice display of Liverpool weather and I was in third row, so no roof above my head.

What a match though. So much fun to watch. The scary thing is that I don't even think we played our best, we're capable of better. But even so we simply destroyed a very capable Porto side. Incredible.

Everyone played well, which is just so satisfying. I would highlight a couple of them though.

VVD - what a player. The man is a F***ing giant and is such a leader. Being so close to the pitch I could pay attention to him and even hear him shouting to his teammates all the time. He's constantly telling the rest of the defense what to do, where to go, where to pass to, and so on. Looks like he's been at the club forever, not someone who's just arrived. He's such a boss.

The other one I'd highlight is Gini Wijnaldum. I always had a soft spot for the man but I think he had been much better last season. Tonight though, he was back to his best, both going forward and winning the ball back.

Sadio Mané. I adore the player and think he may be the most naturally talented player we have. Really excited to see him getting back to his best form. That third goal was a thing of beauty, I couldnt stop myself from shouting even though I was surrounded by Porto fans!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #361: Feb 15, 2018 01:26:20 am
      Couldn't give him man of the match so a special shout out to Andy Robertson - did not look like his first European game!

He keeps serving in these fantastic crosses. One of these days someone will get on the end of one and score!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #362: Feb 15, 2018 01:28:54 am
      Must also admit, the ref did a great job today, letting the plays flow and not giving away needless cards. Such a refreshing from those FA refs.

And not letting cynical methods keep skill from winning out. Agreed.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #363: Feb 15, 2018 01:31:14 am
      Moreno has no football brain.
      Make no mistake, Robertson is an athlete, you'd have to be to run that much, but his positioning is greatly needed.

That's his problem. In terms of raw talent, Moreno's has a lot of great qualities but Robertson is more predictable, and that predictability breeds stability in the defence. It always felt like we were a man down when Moreno played. It'll be interesting once Clyne is back because will he be used as cover for Robertson and Moreno moved on I wonder? That would give us options of a more defensive and more attacking variants to choose from on both sides which brings a lot of flexibility to the squad.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #364: Feb 15, 2018 01:32:04 am
      If Salah was offside when the James took his shot, would his goal have stood? It came off the post. Does the post vindicate one from being offside?

He was onside, but, no, the ball hitting the post doesn't negate offside.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,990 posts | 240 
      Reply #365: Feb 15, 2018 01:34:22 am
      What a result! More than the 5 goals, I am over the moon about the clean sheet. If City can do it, we can go one step further.

Well in red men.

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2018 01:38:42 am by redindian »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #366: Feb 15, 2018 01:48:51 am
      This feeling should last about 10 days, but I do wish the break wasn't so long.

Definitely re-watching this one a few times.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #367: Feb 15, 2018 01:53:44 am
      This feeling should last about 10 days, but I do wish the break wasn't so long.

Definitely re-watching this one a few times.

I agree but for the sake of the players in the long run it will do us good. It feels like it's been non stop since before Christmas and as good as these runs are for momentum to keep the players in peak condition for as long as possible makes these breaks very welcome in my opinion!

Quick Reply