Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Porto?

Loris Karius
      1 (0.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (1.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (3.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      7 (5.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (1.5%)
      James Milner
      19 (14.5%)
      Sadio Mane
      77 (58.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      11 (8.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (4.6%)
      Danny Ings
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: Feb 18, 2018 09:40:02 pm

FC Porto 0-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30659 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,244 posts | 1652 
      Re: FC Porto 0-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Feb 15, 2018 11:02:17 pm
      No brainer for me rest as many as possible if the lads coming in cant do a job when 5-0 up they should not be at the club. Would make at least 8 changes from whoever starts against Newcastle
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #438: Feb 15, 2018 11:57:21 pm
      The tie is done and dusted. 5-0 and absolutely no way back at Anfield. The result means we can rest as many of them as we can get away with, with the United game in mind a few days later.

Karius - Moreno - Klavan (if fit)- Matip - Gomez - Ox - Milner - Can - Ings - Woodburn - Solankie.

It would no doubt be a depressing watch but there we go.

I don't want to diminish the performance from last night as it was absolutely phenomenal but apparently they had their best Defender, best Midfielder and best Striker all missing from last nights game. Expect they will all be back for the return leg and we have to remember this is Liverpool, we do things the hard way. I don't expect us not to be in the quarter final draw but I'm hoping we come out and score early and put the result further to bed.

If we F**k this up we are fu**ed!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #439: Feb 16, 2018 12:36:49 am
      The 10 days off is before West Ham, but then a week later it is 3 matches in 7 days. Newcastle on the weekend, Porto midweek and then United on the following weekend. He normally rotates when its 3 matches in 7-8 days, and the match to play the weaker side (he'll never call it that) is the Porto match because the round has been decided.

Well reminded! In that case, it'd be reasonable to expect him to make some changes if required for the CL game.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #440: Feb 16, 2018 03:24:15 am
      Well reminded! In that case, it'd be reasonable to expect him to make some changes if required for the CL game.

it will probably be somewhere in between. As much as I love him, I have to admit I'm not the greatest at predicting what he will do.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #441: Feb 16, 2018 04:18:58 am
      I really don’t want a hugely changed and diminished in quality team selection by the boss.
      After too many capitulation nybis over the years I really feel that it’s vital to keep a winning mentality going.
      Play 2/3 of a strong team and a 1/3 of the fellas that need game time and European experience.
      Ings, Moreno, clyne and klaven should all start for me with Woodburn and solanke on the bench.
      The rest are all first choice. 
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #442: Feb 16, 2018 09:35:26 am

:lmao:
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #443: Feb 16, 2018 10:14:49 am
      If she dumps him, i'll dump my wife just to start going out with him  xxxxx:action-smiley-065: ;D ;D (She supporters Spurs)

Thanks but no thanks :P :D
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #444: Feb 16, 2018 12:05:52 pm
      Do we play the strongest team (continuity) or do we rest players (injury avoidance)
      Can we agree on one thing?
      As problems go it's not a bad one to have!!
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #445: Feb 16, 2018 12:18:44 pm
      Do we play the strongest team (continuity) or do we rest players (injury avoidance)
      Can we agree on one thing?
      As problems go it's not a bad one to have!!
      My view is we start strong (play all nailed-on starters bar 1 or 2), and assuming we're comfortable early in the second half (not losing by 2 goals), rest 3 key players then.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #446: Feb 16, 2018 12:35:10 pm
      Quote from AussieRed
      I don't want to diminish the performance from last night as it was absolutely phenomenal but apparently they had their best Defender, best Midfielder and best Striker all missing from last nights game. Expect they will all be back for the return leg and we have to remember this is Liverpool, we do things the hard way. I don't expect us not to be in the quarter final draw but I'm hoping we come out and score early and put the result further to bed.

If we F**k this up we are fu**ed!!

Here we are, 5-0 up in a European Cup tie, with a home leg to come, and we're complaining about doing things the hard way?

It doesn't really matter whether or not we make changes. The trek to the toilet is 4 days later, and that game will be much the same as every other game against Mourinho. We attack they defend, boring the ars off everyone in the process. It will be no different until we come away from such a fixture with 3 points.

Personally I wouldn't rest anyone against Porto, the team is starting to reap the rewards of players playing regularly. If nothing else, we need to win the game to help boost our coefficient rankings for next season and beyond, which are still relatively low. And because we don't know how the next round will go.

I know changes will be made, but I'm sure they will be responsible changes, not the sort that see us concede 3 goals by half time and put us out of the cup, as happened the last time.

On the game itself, it couldn't have gone much better tbh. Once we got the first, it was a stroll. And far better than the last visit, a 1-1 borefest in the group phase 10 years ago. So we now go home, finish off the job, and look forward to the next round in 6 weeks time.

P.S. Philippe Coutinho, what's the score?  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #447: Feb 16, 2018 01:44:21 pm
      Guys they are not scoring 5 at anfield.

It's rare for any team to score 3 at anfield let alone 5. I know it's happened twice this season but one of those was Man City and I still don't know how we let West Brom play like Real Madrid in the fa cup.

Get the players rested for the Man U game. I expect Porto to acknowledge that the tie is over and to field a weakened team.

And what an incredible result this was, the perfect valentine's Day present.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #448: Feb 16, 2018 02:49:47 pm
      It's almost like I haven't watched a season where we are equally capable of scoring 5 or conceding 5.
      Thankfully I don't think Klopp will treat the home leg with the same type of contempt.

I thought the same with Mane and Salah at points this season,
      which was why I was happy to see 2 of the 4 rotated at times.

No luxury of that anymore, but would understand 2 of the 3 being rested.

Why would we automatically ship in 5 goals by not playing the regular strikers?? I don't think anyone is suggesting that we don't replace them with other players in the squad ;-)
      In all seriousness I will be quite pissed off if we field a full strength team against Porto, we should be looking to rest as many players as possible in that game, I'm sure Porto will be!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #449: Feb 16, 2018 02:52:35 pm
      We should respect them but rest some players. Yesterday, I posted my suggested team.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #450: Feb 16, 2018 03:06:41 pm

If we f**k this up we are fu**ed!!

Yes, but lets say that for some strange reason they field their max strength team and prioritise a lost cause CL match over their league campaign, which personally I very much doubt, and that we then ship 2 early goals and they play as dominantly as we did a their place, all we need to do is lock down the defence, 2 banks of 4, plus bring on VVD and also Salah and/or Mane to offer a counter attack threat. If after that they still manage to win 6-0 then they deserve to go through, but it simply will not happen.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      Reply #451: Feb 16, 2018 10:15:26 pm
      Yes, but lets say that for some strange reason they field their max strength team and prioritise a lost cause CL match over their league campaign, which personally I very much doubt, and that we then ship 2 early goals and they play as dominantly as we did a their place, all we need to do is lock down the defence, 2 banks of 4, plus bring on VVD and also Salah and/or Mane to offer a counter attack threat. If after that they still manage to win 6-0 then they deserve to go through, but it simply will not happen.

I know mate, like I said before this is Liverpool, we do everything the hard way. Can't see us being knocked out in the 2nd leg and will look forward to the Quarter Final Draw.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #452: Feb 16, 2018 10:31:40 pm
      I would like to Liverpool v winner of Shakhtar Donetsk v Roma
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #453: Feb 16, 2018 10:34:48 pm
      I would like to Liverpool v winner of Shakhtar Donetsk v Roma

Eminently winnable for sure.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #454: Feb 16, 2018 10:41:42 pm
      I know mate, like I said before this is Liverpool, we do everything the hard way. Can't see us being knocked out in the 2nd leg and will look forward to the Quarter Final Draw.

Could you imagine the reaction if porto went through after the 1st leg, ? One thing for sure i would go and live as a monk and insist on a vow of silence and no contact with the outside world
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #455: Feb 16, 2018 10:45:05 pm
      Could you imagine the reaction if porto went through after the 1st leg, ? One thing for sure i would go and live as a monk and insist on a vow of silence and no contact with the outside world

Alternatively by recent standards you could go to Old Trafford and get a similar experience.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      Reply #456: Feb 16, 2018 10:49:52 pm

That would be our worst nightmare mate. Shudder to think.

Just get out there and score the first goal, that will ease my nerves.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      Reply #457: Feb 16, 2018 11:03:20 pm
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,281 posts | 763 
      Reply #458: Feb 17, 2018 11:12:43 am
      Certainly back amongst Europe's elite, with this performance. Lets hope that we can go all the way, and lift the trophy.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,233 posts | 6359 
      Reply #459: Feb 17, 2018 01:52:57 pm
      Guys they are not scoring 5 at anfield.

It's rare for any team to score 3 at anfield let alone 5. I know it's happened twice this season but one of those was Man City and I still don't know how we let West Brom play like Real Madrid in the fa cup.

It's not even scoring 5...they'd have to score 5 with us not scoring once.

It ain't gonna happen. As long as VVD is out there, they ain't going through. I say give some of the bench guys a taste of CL action at Anfield and give some rest to the Ferraris on the team. Would be a nice reward for some of the guys that  don't feature as much but are still an integral part of the team.

Quick Reply