Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Pre-Match: Man United V Liverpool (10/03/18 - 12:30)

Read 15652 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Re: Pre-Match: Man United V Liverpool (10/03/18 - 12:30)
      Reply #69: Mar 08, 2018 03:10:31 pm
      Hates him.
      When you had the Ferguson era of attacking football,
      Mourinho is hard to take to.

Indeed.

I always saw Fergie as being quite cynical in terms of relationship with Maureen.

Friends close, enemies closer.......whereas Arsene screwed the pooch by letting his gutter sh*te get to him.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,896 posts | 4967 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #70: Mar 08, 2018 04:48:34 pm
      As much as Lovren gets stick it was Matip that looked the poorer of the two against Porto.
      Think it was Matip that took the ball out of Karius' hands at one point.

2 players that will change things for Utd v LFC.

Salah. He changed the dimension of play when he came on v Porto.
      Every time the ball was near him he seemed to come out with it, like velcro.

Big Virgil. Porto, a lot like Utd, played with 2 banks of 4 and moved like a wave from one side of the pitch to the next.
      So many times Firmino was sat out wide on his own and a long diagonal ball would have opened up Porto,
      yet Matip and Lovren would pass back along to each other and by the time the play was switched "the wave"
      had moved to cover Firmino. A quick diagonal ball would have stopped that. Didn't happen against Porto.
      Virgil should change that.

Another thing missing v Porto was a late runner into the box, some pressure from midfield.
      A few times the forwards fought to win a ball only to have the chance wasted because nobody anticipated that.
      Salah being in the Front 3 will change that, but I also think Ox playing would also change that as he is quite
      aggressive and direct.

I don't think Gomez had a great game either tbh and would like to see Trent back in against Utd.

Karius

TAA       Lovren            Virgil            Robertson

Can

AOC                           Milner

Salah                Firmino                      Mane   

This is the side I'd be opting for, Hendo more often or not goes into his shell against the bigger sides, so no Hendo for me, Milner in with Ox & Can has a nice balance and if on our game are a match for any midfield trio in the prem, they seem to compliment the front 3 with each element knowing what everyone's capabilities are and their intentions,

Lovren over Matip for sure, playing next to Virgil brings the best out in Dejan, he hasn't got the pressure of having the mantle of main CB so can concentrate on his strengths and let Virgil do what comes naturally.

1-3 MIGHTY REDMEN (at least)

YNWA
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #71: Mar 08, 2018 06:13:03 pm
      As much as Lovren gets stick it was Matip that looked the poorer of the two against Porto.
      Think it was Matip that took the ball out of Karius' hands at one point.

2 players that will change things for Utd v LFC.

Salah. He changed the dimension of play when he came on v Porto.
      Every time the ball was near him he seemed to come out with it, like velcro.

Big Virgil. Porto, a lot like Utd, played with 2 banks of 4 and moved like a wave from one side of the pitch to the next.
      So many times Firmino was sat out wide on his own and a long diagonal ball would have opened up Porto,
      yet Matip and Lovren would pass back along to each other and by the time the play was switched "the wave"
      had moved to cover Firmino. A quick diagonal ball would have stopped that. Didn't happen against Porto.
      Virgil should change that.

Another thing missing v Porto was a late runner into the box, some pressure from midfield.
      A few times the forwards fought to win a ball only to have the chance wasted because nobody anticipated that.
      Salah being in the Front 3 will change that, but I also think Ox playing would also change that as he is quite
      aggressive and direct.

I don't think Gomez had a great game either tbh and would like to see Trent back in against Utd.

Karius

TAA       Lovren            Virgil            Robertson

Can

AOC                           Milner

Salah                Firmino                      Mane   

Yeah I thought so too with regards to Matip. Touch seemed awful and a big lack of assertiveness was prevalent. Also got caught out on the long ball over the top trying to mark Aboubakar as well. He's lost his way a bit since VVD has come in, not quite looking assured of his place in the team. That said he's got the talent to make something of his time here still.
      My fears were that VVD would come in and things wouldn't look all that different. I couldn't have been more wrong. It's the fact that VVD acts as an extra midfielder, a battering ram, his variety in passing and his aerial ability that suddenly makes me see what we've been missing for years and years. I didn't think he'd look this comfortable in the side just a couple of months into his Liverpool career but since arriving he's been a revelation, almost single handedly balancing things out in the squad to the extent that we look more in control of the whole game than at any point under Klopp's reign.
      « Last Edit: Mar 08, 2018 06:22:23 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,479 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #72: Mar 08, 2018 08:22:51 pm
      I've defended Hendo over the months, and in big games I'd have had him in the side every time, and think Jürgen would have too. Not because he's great, more like he was a better option than most.
      But times moving on and not sure that's the case anymore. With VVD so comfortable on the ball, don't need Hendo coming back between the CBs picking it up. He still does a decent job tackling and getting about the place, and keeping things simple, and does try to pick out the odd long ball, or one over the top. But he doesn't look any kind of goal threat, doesn't get forward, and unlike Can won't barge up the middle on a break. He hasn't changed his game at all, even though the balance in the side has changed.  Can argue Jürgen wants him staying relatively put, being conservative - but just think that there's very little now between him, Can, Milly, Gini. Jürgen could easily go with Can, Milly and AOC. Will be very interesting to see.
      All in all though, reckon Jürgen will still pick Hendo for the Manure match.

Really looking forward to it.
      If we play as well as we can, we should win it.
      Maureen has a way of sucking the life out of teams, and they have some dangerous players who can make something happen even when the team are not playing that well - but with the front 3 always feel like we can score, and VVD at the back has been brilliant and a great influence on the team almost since he came in.
      Reckon Jürgen will go and play our usual game, don't think he's going to be any more or less attacking/defensive than usual.
      Don't give them any respect.
      Time to take out the trash ...
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #73: Mar 08, 2018 08:43:43 pm
      Milner should play, even if it's just to take the penalty we'll get
       :f_tongueincheek:
      Let's face it, who else would take one?
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #74: Mar 08, 2018 08:45:42 pm
      Think Klopp has been trying to wind Henderson up by leaving him out. Challenging him to get out there and show he's worth his place. I think Klopp rates Hendo but thinks he has to do more, be more positive.

Not necessarily needed in this game but overall Hendo's game can be a bit to safety concious. We all know that. I'll be surprised if Hendo is left out in this game. We will need a solid base in midfield. Tight back 4, Robbo watch that far post.

For me it's Can, Hendo, Milner with Ox and Lallana in reserve. Milner will give extra cover down the left. Most would take a draw now...might be all we get.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #75: Mar 08, 2018 08:48:12 pm
      Has this been posted? If so.. here it is again.

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/971849285166809088
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #76: Mar 08, 2018 09:07:41 pm
      Milner should play, even if it's just to take the penalty we'll get
       :f_tongueincheek:
      Let's face it, who else would take one?

Salah? :laugh:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #77: Mar 08, 2018 10:41:29 pm
      Forgot how bizarre Man Utd's decision to park the bus at Anfield back in October was. We had shipped sh*t loads in with a blundering keeper and a chaotic defence while Man Utd had started the season strongly and yet they refused to attack us and our fragile defence.

It will be interesting to see how he approaches this weekend from a tactical point of view. Home advantage will surely mean a go out and play attitude from Man Utd? Surely? I doubt it. I think he'll use Rafa's tactic from last weekend - sit back and deep but ensure there are a few pressers up high who are prepared to force us to play from deep.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #78: Mar 08, 2018 10:53:51 pm
      I think he'll use Rafa's tactic from last weekend - sit back and deep but ensure there are a few pressers up high who are prepared to force us to play from deep.

Rafa's plan was correct..just didn't have the quality of players to see it all the way through.
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #79: Mar 08, 2018 11:15:43 pm
      I genuinely believe we will get a result there. We are a force these days, don't underestimate our ability. There are rainy days, and days in the sun. Can I just say, this team is a day in the sun. Confidence my friends.
      Scottbot

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #80: Mar 08, 2018 11:22:33 pm
      I fookin hate this fixture home and away. Take a draw all day if you offered me it now. I bet we draw the bas**rds in the Championship no League as well.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #81: Mar 08, 2018 11:23:58 pm
      Rafa's plan was correct..just didn't have the quality of players to see it all the way through.

Absolutely - shut us out for 40 minutes and kept things tight for them even after it. It wasn't two banks of 4 lying on the goal line while seeking to disrupt us by foul and injury ala Pulis and Allardyce. There were systematic points where a presser would be enacted and it worked quite well for them as our back line and Karius saw a lot of the ball.

Of course it's debatable whether a side that has a net spent of 300 million as Man Utd have should be doing that...especially at home.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #82: Mar 09, 2018 12:28:02 am
      No doubt you lads have the momentum going into the game and i'm certainly not confident on this one. I'm hoping we don't park the bus early and wait till we put two past you first. Lets hope its a great/exciting game.

Great, exciting game you say Keith. That's not bloody likely with the moany one in charge.

I also fear that if u fuuukers can't beat us then the moany one will get one of his rabid dogs in smalling and fellaini to injure either salad or firmino just to derail our season.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #83: Mar 09, 2018 12:36:39 am
      I genuinely believe we will get a result there. We are a force these days, don't underestimate our ability. There are rainy days, and days in the sun. Can I just say, this team is a day in the sun. Confidence my friends.

But Gong it is not easy to play against 14 players.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,394 posts | 1448 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #84: Mar 09, 2018 01:52:21 am
      I’d love a good old 4-1, no F**k it, a lovely 4-0, but if I go more with my head I’ll say 2-1 us, maybe 1-1...

Although this year in the prediction league I’ve been listening to my head more and been complete sh*te, instead over estimating I’ve been doing the opposite
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,856 posts | 2690 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #85: Mar 09, 2018 08:06:07 am
      Great, exciting game you say Keith. That's not bloody likely with the moany one in charge.

I also fear that if u fuuukers can't beat us then the moany one will get one of his rabid dogs in smalling and fellaini to injure either salad or firmino just to derail our season.

Like my text says Robie, I'm more hoping than confidant.  If it's anything like our last encounter then I think both set of fans will go away very disappointed  :(

Fellaini a bench warmer again these days which in my opinion is his best position.  ;D Sooner he fucks off the better, Smalling isn't that bad.

If the match is as good as the fans excitement for this game then we're in for a cracker.  :)
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #86: Mar 09, 2018 10:24:48 am
      My my you guys are confident.  ;D The only way is down  :f_whistle:
      Not me; I'm apprehensive and nowhere near as confident as most of the guys on here.  We've often played well and not got the right result at OT.  If we take our chances, we'll get the right result.  Think it'll be a tight affair finishing 2-1 either way.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #87: Mar 09, 2018 10:29:38 am
      I'd love to see us score first as this will make it a cracking game.
      Surely it'll be a cracking game if Liverpool score first, as Utd will attempt to shut up shop if they go in front.  If we score first, you'll have to come after us and we will look to pick you off, thus making it a far more entertaining game.
      Epsomred
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #88: Mar 09, 2018 12:11:56 pm
      I always dread this game. Seen us lose it too many times. Will only relax when we are 2.0 up with a  minute to play.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,381 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #89: Mar 09, 2018 12:32:04 pm
      God i hate these matches, so nervous and tense, can't think straight at the best of times but this gets me every time, my inner pessimist is in charge today
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #90: Mar 09, 2018 12:37:38 pm
      God i hate these matches, so nervous and tense, can't think straight at the best of times but this gets me every time, my inner pessimist is in charge today

S’all good mate.

Easy work.

:cool-smiley-027: :action-smiley-035:
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #91: Mar 09, 2018 12:53:12 pm
      If Martial scores it will cost the mancs £9m as per the contract agreed with Milan when they bought him.

Just been on their site and the consensus is they're gonna get hammered

Quick Reply