Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The dark arts of football....things we must learn.

Read 6539 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Re: The dark arts of football....things we must learn.
      Reply #23: Mar 13, 2018 11:39:01 am
      With VAR coming in a year or two I don't think it's a good idea for us to start falling over in the area and feigning injury to get other players sent off.

That's not " dark arts" that's cheating. We were calling Kane and Dele the Diver out for cheating, now this thread is advocating we do the same.

...leave it out......and do we need to darken our image any further...think not.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #24: Mar 13, 2018 01:11:23 pm
      With VAR coming in a year or two I don't think it's a good idea for us to start falling over in the area and feigning injury to get other players sent off.

That's not " dark arts" that's cheating. We were calling Kane and Dele the Diver out for cheating, now this thread is advocating we do the same.

...leave it out......and do we need to darken our image any further...think not.

I don't see anyone advocating that our players feign injury or dive.

I think what people are saying is the only way for us to get fouls in key moments may be to go down when there's contact to warrant it, as opposed to fighting to stay on your feet when you are going to end up losing the ball anyway and no foul be called.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #25: Mar 13, 2018 02:11:02 pm

What are you going on about?

No one has said cheat at all and what do you mean "darken" our image even further?
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #26: Mar 13, 2018 03:06:27 pm
      What are you going on about?

No one has said cheat at all and what do you mean "darken" our image even further?

When you title a thread claiming we should learn the Dark Arts,I think it's totally ridiculous to moan if somebody says that is tantamount to cheating.

Our image has taken a battering over the Carra spitting disgrace. So threads saying we should learn the Dark arts is bad timing.

We should endeavour to play the game fairly and with integrity. That is indeed the way Klopp plays it. However players will do things, in the heat of the battle, that might not be totally honest. That happens with ALL teams. But we should NEVER EVER set out to deceive by learning the Dark Arts.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #27: Mar 13, 2018 04:32:25 pm
      The image outlined above, is a road rage incident, and has nothing to do with Liverpool FC. It's a private matter to sort out between the various parties concerned.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #28: Mar 13, 2018 09:55:36 pm
      Sevilla just gave us a masterclass really.

Conceded to make it 2-1. Made 2 seperate subs within 2 minutes of each other. Gave away free kicks by their own corner flag. Gave Rashford a really good kicking. Referee added a mere 4 minutes of added time and the sting was out of the game. They also kept the ball well when the ball broke to them without looking to score at every opportunity, just waited and picked their moment.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #29: Mar 14, 2018 02:09:14 am

Conceded to make it 2-1. Made 2 seperate subs within 2 minutes of each other. Gave away free kicks by their own corner flag. Gave Rashford a really good kicking. Referee added a mere 4 minutes of added time and the sting was out of the game. They also kept the ball well when the ball broke to them without looking to score at every opportunity, just waited and picked their moment.
      I actually thought Sevilla did a terrible job of closing out the game they weren't interested in keeping the ball at 2-0 and were wasteful in possession and chances. Few inches here there and the odd unexpected bounce of the ball and we all could have well and truly be sitting here bemoaning another United come back. Take nothing away from Sevilla though they were the better team over the two legs and deserve to go through.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #30: Mar 14, 2018 12:03:26 pm

One key word from this has been highlighted in bold and enlarged to distinguish its impact in contrast to our match.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #31: Mar 14, 2018 12:57:29 pm
      I believe in Karma, and when you resort to cheating it will not end well. Let us play the right way and the results will be even more satisfying, even though the wait will be longer. Patience.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #32: Mar 15, 2018 03:40:01 pm
      One key word from this has been highlighted in bold and enlarged to distinguish its impact in contrast to our match.

^ This.

We lost to Mancs because of the ref. We drew with Spuds because of the ref. That is 5 points.
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #33: Mar 15, 2018 09:08:49 pm
      Officiating at matches is a lottery
      Just seen Welbeck get a peno for the Gunners absolutely disgusting, presume he won't get a ban in Europe for simulation !
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #34: Apr 03, 2018 03:21:14 pm
      Bumping this as I think tomorrow will be crucial.

We have to play to the referee, if he is giving silly things we have to adapt to his reading of the game.

Every little advantage could matter.

bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #35: Apr 03, 2018 09:16:03 pm
      Loosing to Utd was awful, still pretty gutted we didn't beat them, or get the draw. And that's because of the way they play. They're a formula that Maureen has been pedalling for years, it's starting to run out of steam, it's sh*t to watch, and makes people hate them even more.

Sure, it can be effective. Sometimes route one crossed with land of the giants. Parking the bus. Playing on the break at home against good teams. Players like Young and Herrera, cheating little fuckers. Maureen knows how to push peoples buttons.

Given the choice though, there is nothing about them I'd like to see Klopp and the lads doing more of.

Though ... the only thing that maybe you might call a 'dark art' that imho might be useful would be to be more aggressive in our tackling in the middle, breaking up a teams rhythm with tough or even cynical tackles. Tackling is a lost art, was once a much bigger part of the game, guys steaming in, crowd loved it too. Most of it you just can't do any more, but I don't mind seeing teams pushing the limits :) Like when I hear Wenger moan about a side getting stuck into his talented fairies, can't help have a smile.
      Not saying we turn into Leeds, just like to see sides who can handle themselves.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #36: Apr 03, 2018 09:26:28 pm
      Loosing to Utd was awful, still pretty gutted we didn't beat them, or get the draw. And that's because of the way they play. They're a formula that Maureen has been pedalling for years, it's starting to run out of steam, it's sh*t to watch, and makes people hate them even more.

Sure, it can be effective. Sometimes route one crossed with land of the giants. Parking the bus. Playing on the break at home against good teams. Players like Young and Herrera, cheating little fuckers. Maureen knows how to push peoples buttons.

Given the choice though, there is nothing about them I'd like to see Klopp and the lads doing more of.

Though ... the only thing that maybe you might call a 'dark art' that imho might be useful would be to be more aggressive in our tackling in the middle, breaking up a teams rhythm with tough or even cynical tackles. Tackling is a lost art, was once a much bigger part of the game, guys steaming in, crowd loved it too. Most of it you just can't do any more, but I don't mind seeing teams pushing the limits :) Like when I hear Wenger moan about a side getting stuck into his talented fairies, can't help have a smile.
      Not saying we turn into Leeds, just like to see sides who can handle themselves.

Agreed bmck. Tackling is a dying art in modern football as it edges closer to almost non contact status. I don't think you'll find a supporter who doesn't love seeing a bone crunching tackle.

Growing up i was lucky to see the likes of Lawrenson, Mcmahon, Souness, Hamaan, Gerrard, Mascherano and Carragher etc. level many players in the heat of battle.

Unfortunately today, football favours the diving pansies ahead of real men.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #37: Apr 03, 2018 10:42:58 pm
      Don’t necessarily agree with dark arts, but what we lack and always have since I can remember is game management.

Chelsea pre abramovich and Fergies Utd have always been amazing at it. Slowing play down with time wasting/arguments with ref etc when the oppo are gaining momentum. I don’t know if our lads have that, but out of them I think Mane does. He showed it against Palace.

Other one I think is VVD. Benteke was causing all sorts of problems early doors, then VVD made him foul him once, then targeted him straight after which resulted in a yellow. Since then, he couldn’t do his usual elbows shtick which essentially ruled him out of game, which led to no route one and more out wide to Zaha. I noticed it in game, and thought that’s ducking why he is worth 75 mill. Boss.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #38: Apr 04, 2018 03:24:08 pm
      Agreed bmck. Tackling is a dying art in modern football as it edges closer to almost non contact status. I don't think you'll find a supporter who doesn't love seeing a bone crunching tackle.

Growing up i was lucky to see the likes of Lawrenson, Mcmahon, Souness, Hamaan, Gerrard, Mascherano and Carragher etc. level many players in the heat of battle.

Unfortunately today, football favours the diving pansies ahead of real men.

Didn't see the Leeds vs Liverpool Cup match (think we won on penoes) live,  but saw some highlights again recently. Unreal what used to go on in those days. The tackles were crazy.  Think Giles punched Keegan in the head and didn't get sent off, maybe not even a card, wasn't sure. Then the scrap with Bremner. Different times...
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #39: Apr 10, 2018 05:11:03 pm
      Have to watch out for Sterling diving tonight ...... think we have a Spanish ref ?
      City can do the nasties when they want to.

Amazing how we aren't making a fuss on LFCReds about Harry Kane's claim for the goal v Stoke.... so he can get the Golden Boot.

On Red Cafe they have a whole thread on it and actually feel sorry for our Mo !

Dark Arts ?   

Kane is pathetic ....Spurs are appealing to the FA  .... sick.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #40: Apr 10, 2018 05:22:42 pm
      Have to watch out for Sterling diving tonight ...... think we have a Spanish ref ?

Amazing how we aren't making a fuss on LFCReds about Harry Kane's claim for the goal v Stoke.... so he can get the Golden Boot.

Dark Arts ?   

I think it's absolutely F***ing selfish of Kane to try and claim that goal. OK it all depends what angle you look at it but I looked at one angle they showed on Sky and the ball wasn't anywhere near Kane shoulder. I feel sorry for Erikson if the appeal goes in Kane favour, the way Erik son struck it and scored he could be denied goal of the season. Kane needs to learn how to speak properly before claiming goals he didn't score.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #41: Apr 10, 2018 05:26:22 pm

Dark Arts ?   

Your on redcafe more than me.  ;D I'll have a look and see what's being said. I wouldn't worry about it though as Salah has the momentum at the moment and fully justifies his position. Never thought I would say that as Kane been outstanding for last 2/3 years now. Salah will win Golden Boot.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #42: Apr 10, 2018 08:35:04 pm
      They are diving going down at every opportunity we have to wake up this ref will give fouls we have to start playing the game.

This is big boy football now if we want to run with the big dogs we have to learn to piss up the big trees.

Slow it down, take the contact draw the fouls get him on our side.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #43: Apr 11, 2018 07:12:09 pm
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43731208

So Kane stomps his tippy toes and gets the goal.

Click the link to see Mo's Twitter comment .
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #44: Apr 11, 2018 07:16:49 pm
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43731208

So Kane stomps his tippy toes and gets the goal.

Click the link to see Mo's Twitter comment .

Just makes him and Spurs look pathetic.

We can focus on winning the Champions League, they can focus on winning appeals to the Dubai’s goals panel.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #45: Apr 12, 2018 08:19:40 am
      Dubious Goals Committee? Should have a Dubious/unscrupulous  Player Committee,wonder who would top that table  :f_tongueincheek:

Quick Reply