Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Palace?

Loris Karius
      3 (3.1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      4 (4.1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (2.1%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      58 (59.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.1%)
      James Milner
      2 (2.1%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      10 (10.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (2.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      14 (14.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Voting closed: Apr 04, 2018 02:22:19 pm

Crystal Palace 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 19863 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,272 posts | 761 
      Re: Crystal Palace 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Apr 01, 2018 12:08:49 pm
      Fortunately Palace had Benteke up front yesterday, he really looked awful in front of goal. A decent in form striker would have buried those chances that he failed to convert.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #461: Apr 01, 2018 12:29:53 pm
      All in all one of the ugliest wins under Jürgen - great to see the lads didn’t stop believing we could win.

Lallana season over though Let’s hope he comes back fit and strong for next season as he is excellent when available

An even more excellent win when you consider that most of our players didn't get back until Thursday leaving only a day or so of match preparation. Not sure how many Palace had playing in the internationals but it surely wouldn't have been as much. After the Watford game that was Jürgen's biggest concern and mentioned it a couple of times in the press afterwards.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #462: Apr 01, 2018 03:35:55 pm
      Delighted with the result. It's all that matters tbh.

Considering we went a goal down early, considering our poor record winning from behind, considering what's coming up, considering the bloody nose they've given other big teams in that kip this season, to come away with three points is a great result.

Terrible scrappy game as expected, Mane very unlucky to be booked in the first half. Imo, it's a penalty and if we had VAR, we would get it as the foul is made. Aside from that, why would he dive when he had possession? And he was unlucky after half time too when he was wrestled off the ball and thought the ref gave us a free kick. Ex-ref Graham Poll later said it wasn't a yellow card. We should have had a penalty later on when 2 of our players were pulled and shoved around at a corner. But we don't have VAR, so again we were screwed away from home by an incompetent ref.

Its the first time we've beaten them home and away in the same season in 20 years, and the winner back then was at Easter, at home, in the last minute. Wasn't quite that tight this time, but just as effective.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,183 posts | 912 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #463: Apr 01, 2018 03:39:42 pm
      Big win yesterday, and nice to win ugly, not like us at all, let's hope for a draw or Spurs to win today
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #464: Apr 01, 2018 04:17:13 pm
      Delighted with the result. It's all that matters tbh.

Considering we went a goal down early, considering our poor record winning from behind, considering what's coming up, considering the bloody nose they've given other big teams in that kip this season, to come away with three points is a great result.

Terrible scrappy game as expected, Mane very unlucky to be booked in the first half. Imo, it's a penalty and if we had VAR, we would get it as the foul is made. Aside from that, why would he dive when he had possession? And he was unlucky after half time too when he was wrestled off the ball and thought the ref gave us a free kick. Ex-ref Graham Poll later said it wasn't a yellow card. We should have had a penalty later on when 2 of our players were pulled and shoved around at a corner. But we don't have VAR, so again we were screwed away from home by an incompetent ref.

Its the first time we've beaten them home and away in the same season in 20 years, and the winner back then was at Easter, at home, in the last minute. Wasn't quite that tight this time, but just as effective.

Danny Murphy said on MOTD "there was contact but then a delay before Mane went down so it's not a penalty".
      Where the F**k in the penalty rules does it say "if the player subsequent to the penalty offence does not drop like he's been shot the penalty shout is void"?

How many times do players drop like they've been shot when there is no contact?
      How many times do those cheats see yellow? They see yellow more often than not yet Mane is booked for not over-reacting??
      Get AVR on the go soon as you F***ing like, we got 3 points in spite of the officials.
      « Last Edit: Apr 01, 2018 04:23:35 pm by stuey »
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #465: Apr 01, 2018 05:43:46 pm
      Ugly game, beautiful result.

God i F***ing hate international breaks, they just disrupt momentum and are totally pointless.

This game was brutal and we dug deep to turf out a result.

Roll on Wednesday and let's turn these Manc cu*ts over.

Well done boys, ugly but effective, great character.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #466: Apr 02, 2018 02:17:59 am
      Wasn't happy with the starting line up. I don't like it when both milner and Henderson play in the midfield. I'd have liked to have seen either lallana or Ox in for one of them.

First half was poor. We had a lot of posession but looked toothless in the final third. The midfield was so slow in moving the ball. I lost count how many times hendo lost posession as well. I really can't stand him and I honestly don't know what some people see in him. It's like they ignore the 10 passes he gives away all because he makes one half decent one at some point in the game.

Their goal/pen came against the run of play though. One long ball that we don't deal with, trents positioning was poor, a bit of a daft decision by Karius to come flying out and clatter zaha and there we have it...1-0 down.  Luckily for us we still had plenty of time left on the clock to put things right.

I've no idea why hendo was marking benteke alone when we have two tall centre halves on the pitch. It's common sense to have one cb jump with benteke (with hendo infront) and have the other CB drop off sweeping. It's just simple school boy stuff. Benteke is their aerial threat so we have to make it difficult for him, which we didn't on this occssion.

Trent showed his inexperience by switching off and letting zaha get goal side of him. I thought Trent was targeted a few times on Saturday and I've said for several weeks now that right back is a big concern for us.

In hindsight we can sit here and say Karius should have stayed on his line but if he had, and zaha finished, we'd all be yelling saying why didn't he come out. So I won't be too harsh on Karius. I've been very impressed with him of late and moments before the penalty he came rushing out and saved a shot from zaha with his chest that I thought was flying in. It was a great save.

Nothing else to say about the first half other than we were denied a clear pen on mane. I don't know how the debate turned into mane delaying his fall or being dramatic about it. It's completely irrelevant in my opinion. The palace player kicked his leg, therefore contact was made, and he didn't touch the ball. So who cares what mane does? He can do 1000 rolls towards the corner flag if he wanted, it's still a pen.  I don't often talk about officials and I hate it when people focus on them or blame them, but I thought the ref was garbage all game on sat.

Second half kicks off and we look like we have a lot more purpose about us. We were more crisp and we were moving the ball much quicker. We got back into the game with a great equalising goal from Mane. Karma for not being given the pen.

Then mane has a moment of madness and should have seen a second yellow and been sent off. You're taught at school boy age to play to the whistle so I've no idea what he was thinking grabbing hold of the ball. The ref, who was having a sh*te game, bottled the red card because he knew full well he got the pen wrong and mane shouldn't have been on a yellow anyway. So I suppose it evened itself out.

Palace (or shall I say benteke) then missed two glorious chances which they should have bagged. We just completely switched off at the back and fell asleep. It was a moment of madness from us.

It looked like it would be a draw until our mo pops up last minute with a moment of genius. A cool, calm, composed finish when we needed it most. It wasnt pretty but it was a very much welcome and a very much needed three points.

Motm salah for his winning goal but special mention to Robbo who was brilliant once again.

Looking ahead now to wednesdays game, I think it's essential that we play milner at right back who will do a job on sane. I really fear for Trent if he's put in. He's a great kid with a big future but he's not at this level just yet. 

I want to see Ox in the middle too to give us bit of energy and pace. We saw against Everton that you can't give their midfield any time or space on the ball or they'll destroy you. We need lots of pace, energy and work rate. It'll be suicide playing milner in the middle with Trent right back in my opinion.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #467: Apr 02, 2018 01:00:02 pm
      Rules of the game says PEN, contact was made, Mane has the right to go down, well that's the rules if you play for Spurs.

Loris Karius' better half hits the nail on the head.

https://twitter.com/MissAndreeva_/status/980706433997078528
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8514 
      Reply #468: Apr 02, 2018 11:22:47 pm
      I thought the ref had blown up hence why he grabbed the ball. Would have to watch again.

Came across as more like the Paul Ince thing he used to do were he would grab the ball any time he felt like it was an unfair challenge.

I think with the atmosphere at Palace the ref factored that into his decision not to give Mane a second yellow.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8514 
      Reply #469: Apr 02, 2018 11:25:11 pm
      Emre Can plays right back for Germany doesnt he? Think he'd be a shout if we were throwing someone in out of position.

He does but if he's fit I'd rather start him in midfield. He had a good game in the league game here.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #470: Apr 03, 2018 04:03:25 am
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #471: Apr 03, 2018 01:29:38 pm
      Good comeback win, it has been a difficult place for us in the past.

Quick Reply