Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Pre-Match: Liverpool V Man City (Champions League Quarter Final) 4th April 19:45

Read 16569 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8544 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool V Man City (Champions League Quarter Final) 4th March 19:45
      Reply #46: Apr 02, 2018 11:14:35 pm
      I think for the first time in my life I am going to be rooting for Mancs to get a result against City on Saturday. Confidence goes a long way in footbal and I really don't want City to win the league 3 days prior to the return leg, and roll that confidence with them to the pitch.

Nah, let them win the League, didn't change anything back in 2005, plus if we beat the blueshite we go back above Utd.

In my usual spec on the kop for this and getting out early for it, looking forward to hopefully a 2 or 3 goal lead to take into the second leg.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,315 posts | 1523 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool V Man City (Champions League Quarter Final) 4th March 19:45
      Reply #47: Apr 02, 2018 11:28:27 pm
      I’m looking for similar Huyton. Two or three goal lead would be great. If we could achieve that, then we could defend well first half, then pick them off at theirs as they bomb forward looking for goals.
      I’m also thinking TAA will do better against players who keep the ball on the floor. He’s got the pace, just needs a bit of verbal advise from his C Back on positioning.
      Confident me, but still a tad nervous.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #48: Apr 02, 2018 11:53:07 pm
      Nah, let them win the League, didn't change anything back in 2005, plus if we beat the blueshite we go back above Utd.

In my usual spec on the kop for this and getting out early for it, looking forward to hopefully a 2 or 3 goal lead to take into the second leg.

When you go early, do you stay out on the street for a good bit or do you take your seat an hour or so before kickoff?
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #49: Apr 03, 2018 12:11:22 am
      Bit of luck and we will be fine. I just worry if Firmino isn't a bit shagged by now. Mane and Salah aren't but Firmino looked a bit knackered against Palace.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #50: Apr 03, 2018 12:42:08 am
      Hoping the team & Klopp are wearing their John Wick heads Wednesday... Need to put the citizens to bed...

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #51: Apr 03, 2018 03:10:07 am
      Can't for the life of me understand why people would want Milner at RB up against Sane. Do people not see him struggle in midfield whenever he comes up against quicker players? Do you want to put him up against one of the quickest and most agile players in the world? Milner struggled against the likes of Cabaye, Milivojevic and McArthur, making needless fouls. What do you think it'll be like against Sane? He'll be on a yellow within 30 minutes and limited in his play for the rest of the game.

Trent, with his flaws, is the only viable option for me. Have Chamberlain, who also has plenty of pace, start with him on the right side to help out with Sane and provide cover. I don't want to see Milner anywhere near the starting 11 against City. Did people not see what happened when he replaced Can in the 4-3 win against them? He just can't keep up with the pace anymore. He's a good option in certain games, but this is not one of those games.

As for the midfield: Can, Wijnaldum and Chamberlain provided a masterclass in the home game against them. Plenty of pace, power, energy in that midfield. Wijnaldum is tailor made for these quick transition type of games. Chamberlain can run at Otamendi and Kompany while Can harrasses Silva and De Bruyne. If Can isn't fit, Henderson gets the nod for me.

At CB I've gone for Matip. It'll be a football game, not a scrap fight against the likes of Lukaku and Benteke. We'll need footballers on the pitch and his passing is better than Lovren's.

Two changes from the side that beat that lot at home: Trent in for Gomez and Matip for Lovren.

3-5-2 or anything with three at the back isn't an option for me either. City started that way against the bitters and they can easily mirror that formation. We'd get 1 v 1 battles all over the pitch and we'll be getting torn a new one on the wings against the likes of Sane, David Silva on the left and De Bruyne, Walker on the right. We need to shut down the half spaces, much harder to do so when you're only playing 2 in midfield. We need the midfield 3 to effectively shut them down in those areas.

Really looking forward to this game!

You're talking as if Milner is some over weight pudding who turns slower than a bus. He's actually fairly quick, one of the fittest lads in our squad and you can rely on him more than anyone else to do a specific job.

Milner struggles in midfield because he has no technical ability. He isn't a central midfielder and he gets found out there.

During his city days, he played on the wing, especially in European games and he specifically man marked players out of the game. He does a fantastic job at it.

He played left back for us last season and came up against all kinds of pacey players but he still did a very sound job. I don't remember any occasions where a pacey winger burst past him with the ball and left him for dead. Can you?

You say you can't believe some people want Milner in but I can't believe some people want trent in after his recent performances. His inexperience and poor positioning has cost us goals. Playing him just because he has pace to counter sane is just pure stupidity. Does that mean we should play Moreno then to counter sterling? Why don't we ring usain bolt while we're at it and see if he wants a game.

I'd love to see Milner start at right back. If he does I'm extremely confident of him keeping sane quiet and that the forum will be full of praise for him, and for Jürgen making that call.  He's no world beater James Milner but he's extremely reliable and he's very professional.

It's funny footy isn't it. You say this is the type of game he should be nowhere near. Whereas I think it's exactly the fixture he should be playing in. It's games at home against sh*te like West Brom where we dominate posession he should be nowhere near because he hasn't got a creative bone in his body.

Man mark somebody in the quarters of the champions league you say? I wouldn't have anybody else other than James milner doing that job.

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2018 03:16:15 am by HamannsTheMan »
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,486 posts | 231 
      Reply #52: Apr 03, 2018 09:00:01 am
      Joyce recokns Can could well miss out tomorrow which would be a big blow.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liverpools-emre-can-could-miss-first-leg-with-back-problem-thst7723z
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #53: Apr 03, 2018 09:01:48 am

Some will say I'm mad picking Clyne but I trust him defensively and he is fit and has been playing football for close to a month at this stage. A bit harsh on TAA but he has had a few rocky games defensively of late and I see mistakes against a very in form Sane.

We are capable of going to City and winning so lets be smart here. Any form of a win tomorrow night will be excellent. I would rather it being to nil but I expect City to score.

2-1 Reds.  :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:

AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,472 posts | 1467 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #54: Apr 03, 2018 09:30:41 am
      I’m gonna go for a 2-1 for us, for some reason I’m thinking Ox will score the winner....

Oh and the title of this thread says 4th March btw
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,614 posts | 6930 
      Reply #55: Apr 03, 2018 09:43:39 am
      I wouldn't be that sure... our attack is great, but to put it in perspective they have scored 13 more goals with one game less...

Not to mention they've already 8-4'd us on aggregate in the league.

Just had a look at the odds on actually winning the whole tournament and City are 2nd faves and we're 6th so they must be massive favourites for the tie.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool V Man City (Champions League Quarter Final) 4th April 19:45
      Reply #56: Apr 03, 2018 09:54:35 am
      Not to mention they've already 8-4'd us on aggregate in the league.

Just had a look at the odds on actually winning the whole tournament and City are 2nd faves and we're 6th so they must be massive favourites for the tie.

We were pretty much underdogs throughout the tournament when we won it last time around... I think there is more pressure on Pep & City than us..

Over the two games I think we have enough to see City off...Our back line need to be fully concentrated.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool V Man City (Champions League Quarter Final) 4th April 19:45
      Reply #57: Apr 03, 2018 10:12:04 am
      We were pretty much underdogs throughout the tournament when we won it last time around... I think there is more pressure on Pep & City than us..

Over the two games I think we have enough to see City off...Our back line need to be fully concentrated.

That is a good assessment Shabs,I also agree that over the 2 legs we can do enough to win through to the semi finals.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #58: Apr 03, 2018 11:15:53 am
      Heading to Liverpool tonight / tomorrow morning. Have a bad 2 day hangover from the bank holiday weekend but still buzzing for it. We've won every CL game I have attended this season for any omen-seekers!

Anyone know if the team-bus-greeting is defo still going ahead?

Allez, allez, allez.....
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #59: Apr 03, 2018 11:17:02 am
      I'm not changing anything in my opinion.

Going with what I think is the strongest linup

Karius
      TAA, Lovren, VVD, Robertson
      AOC, Henderson, Widjnaldum
      Mane, Firmino, Salah

And I hope we stand toe to toe with them at home.

See us winning this one easily, don't know why??? I see a heavy score line for whatever team that wins.

This should be over in the 1st leg.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,618 posts | 3917 
      Reply #60: Apr 03, 2018 11:18:21 am
      Just can’t get my head round how we’ll beat their midfield without Can.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #61: Apr 03, 2018 11:31:31 am
      Just can’t get my head round how we’ll beat their midfield without Can.

Hoof it over their midfield ;D
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #62: Apr 03, 2018 12:03:15 pm
      It is at left back that i have placed Robertson mate, think that you need to stop smoking  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Ill take your word for it and apologise then!

On my mobile it came up with a fair few odd looking parts of the team..!!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #63: Apr 03, 2018 12:16:49 pm
      Matip now out for the season with a thigh injury.

I guess it will be Lovren partnering Virgil then, with Raggy on the bench.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,285 posts | 6373 
      Reply #64: Apr 03, 2018 12:24:43 pm

Hell I’d put Lord Klavan with VVD and Lovren on the bench.

trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #65: Apr 03, 2018 12:25:36 pm

Personally I'd move VVD over and play Klaven as LCB.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #66: Apr 03, 2018 12:27:19 pm
      Matip, Lallana out for the season. Gomez out for another 2 weeks at least. Can unfit. So, the team basically picks itself.. may be we'll see Woodburn among the subs.

Mane Bobby Salah
      Milner Hendo Chambo
      Robbo Virgil Lovren TAA
      Karius

Subs: Mignolet, Klavan, Moreno, Wijnaldum, Woodburn, Solanke, Ings
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #67: Apr 03, 2018 12:29:10 pm
      Injuries are piling up now at the worst possible time. Can, Gomez, Lallana, Matip all injured. Will need a massive performance against City tomorrow night as I don't see us beating them in the Ethiad.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,618 posts | 3917 
      Reply #68: Apr 03, 2018 12:39:53 pm
      Matip, Lallana out for the season. Gomez out for another 2 weeks at least. Can unfit. So, the team basically picks itself.. may be we'll see Woodburn among the subs.

Mane Bobby Salah
      Milner Hendo Chambo
      Robbo Virgil Lovren TAA
      Karius

Subs: Mignolet, Klavan, Moreno, Wijnaldum, Woodburn, Solanke, Ings

Wijnaldum has to start for me, he plays well against city and at home.

Quick Reply