Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Pre-Match: Liverpool V Man City (Champions League Quarter Final) 4th April 19:45

Read 17123 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool V Man City (Champions League Quarter Final) 4th April 19:45
      Reply #69: Apr 03, 2018 12:46:33 pm
      Bit of luck and we will be fine. I just worry if Firmino isn't a bit shagged by now. Mane and Salah aren't but Firmino looked a bit knackered against Palace.

Thought he looked a bit tired looking too.
      Hopefully just saving his energy for this one :)
      Can't really afford to be without any of Bob/Mane/Mo for these two legs.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool V Man City (Champions League Quarter Final) 4th April 19:45
      Reply #70: Apr 03, 2018 12:49:31 pm
      Wijnaldum has to start for me, he plays well against city and at home.

Makes sense, and home leg too. Milner for away then..
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #71: Apr 03, 2018 12:50:32 pm
      Injuries are piling up now at the worst possible time. Can, Gomez, Lallana, Matip all injured. Will need a massive performance against City tomorrow night as I don't see us beating them in the Ethiad.

Think Can is just a doubt, no?
      Imho he's the only one of those I think would've been in the first XI anyway. Would like Can to start.
      So still full speed ahead :)
      Fewer options from the bench tho alright.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #72: Apr 03, 2018 01:03:09 pm
      Not having Can is a blow. He's far from top standard but his performance against City last time out was far superior to anything the rest in midfield can offer. As for Henderson - the pressure is on him in particular to perform. We've seen in the past what is needed at this level - Gerrard, Alonso etc have all excelled to get us beyond this stage and Hendo has to reach those levels tomorrow and next week otherwise we won't progress. To some, putting that amount of expectation on Henderson is unrealistic given his somewhat average 7 year history at this club but quite frankly if you're the captain and have been at the club this long then it' should be the least to expect given our high reputation. Time for him to make a name for himself once and for all at this club.

If we can get past City over two legs then it would be a phenomenal achievement with such limited abilities in midfield but to do it we will need every sinew of energy available on the field and in the stands tomorrow because tomorrow is going to be massive. It's going to be very difficult.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #73: Apr 03, 2018 01:22:01 pm
      Think Can is just a doubt, no?
      Imho he's the only one of those I think would've been in the first XI anyway. Would like Can to start.
      So still full speed ahead :)
      Fewer options from the bench tho alright.

I don't believe Can has trained since he went on International break. He's a scratch I'd bet.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #74: Apr 03, 2018 01:28:43 pm
      Cannot wait.....

Karius

Gomez (milner)     Lovren   VVD    Robbo   

Ox     Can    Gini

Salah    Bobby    Mane

Lest beat them again,  COMON you REDMEN.

:kop5cf8koxp6: :aaliverpoolwz0: 
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,012 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #75: Apr 03, 2018 01:29:31 pm
      Cannot wait.....

Karius

Gomez (milner)     Matip   VVD    Robbo   

Ox     Can    Gini

Salah    Bobby    Mane

Lest beat them again,  COMON you REDMEN.

:kop5cf8koxp6: :aaliverpoolwz0: 

Matip is out for the season mate.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #76: Apr 03, 2018 01:31:35 pm
      Sorted it.  Wouldn't mind i was just reading about his injury as well :mad:
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #77: Apr 03, 2018 01:35:25 pm
      Not having Can is a blow. He's far from top standard but his performance against City last time out was far superior to anything the rest in midfield can offer. As for Henderson - the pressure is on him in particular to perform. We've seen in the past what is needed at this level - Gerrard, Alonso etc have all excelled to get us beyond this stage and Hendo has to reach those levels tomorrow and next week otherwise we won't progress. To some, putting that amount of expectation on Henderson is unrealistic given his somewhat average 7 year history at this club but quite frankly if you're the captain and have been at the club this long then it' should be the least to expect given our high reputation. Time for him to make a name for himself once and for all at this club.

If we can get past City over two legs then it would be a phenomenal achievement with such limited abilities in midfield but to do it we will need every sinew of energy available on the field and in the stands tomorrow because tomorrow is going to be massive. It's going to be very difficult.

Couldn't agree more and I don't want to put a negative spin on such an exciting fixture, one im really looking forward to, but I really do doubt that he has what it takes. I wouldnt even have him in my line up if everybody was fit. Quite amazing really isn't it, some of us wouldn't play our own captain in a quarter final game of the European cup?

Our best three for me is can, gini, Ox. If they're fit then that's what I'd go with personally.

But it's looking more likely that hendo will play so prove me wrong Jordan mate and put in a motm display, boss that midfield tomorrow night.

The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #78: Apr 03, 2018 01:37:19 pm
      Ill take your word for it and apologise then!

On my mobile it came up with a fair few odd looking parts of the team..!!
      No prob mate...
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #79: Apr 03, 2018 01:40:46 pm
      I don't believe Can has trained since he went on International break. He's a scratch I'd bet.

Bad back - couple of injections, he'd be grand :)
      Not looking good right now, but still haven't given up.

If he doesn't make it, Hendo needs to put in a captains performance..
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #80: Apr 03, 2018 02:14:05 pm
      You know what I want to see...

Karius
      Ox, Lovren, VVD, Robertson
             Hendo, Wijnaldum
                  Firmino
          Salah,  Ings,  Mane

I can't see Can being fit for this, so I would love us to take a gamble and surprise them and play Ings up top with Ox as a right back.

PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #81: Apr 03, 2018 02:32:30 pm
      You know what I want to see...

Karius
      Ox, Lovren, VVD, Robertson
             Hendo, Wijnaldum
                  Firmino
          Salah,  Ings,  Mane

I can't see Can being fit for this, so I would love us to take a gamble and surprise them and play Ings up top with Ox as a right back.

Big F***ing ;D

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #82: Apr 03, 2018 02:45:48 pm
      One of the things I'm looking forward to most in this fixture is seeing Firmino against Fernandinho.

When teams play city they back off and give them all the time and space in the world to play.  KDB and Fernandinho always run the show.

Everton had something like 18% posession when they played city on the weekend. I saw a stat somewhere in that Fernandinho had 14% himself!

Bobby is the best forward, probably in Europe, at dropping back behind the ball, closing down, bullying the opposition and winning posession for his team again. If he has a big game tomorrow night then it'll rub off on those around him too. Bobby is absolute key for us.

He won't give Fernandinho, or those two centre halves a minutes peace.

Can we make him captain yet?

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #83: Apr 03, 2018 03:08:51 pm
      On what I've seen this season, and certainly in the big games, no doubt in my mind that if they're all fit I'd be picking Klavan over Lovren.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #84: Apr 03, 2018 03:12:39 pm
      On what I've seen this season, and certainly in the big games, no doubt in my mind that if they're all fit I'd be picking Klavan over Lovren.

Really?

I wouldn't, he's been ok since VVD came in and has been pretty solid.

RB and being continually beat by the cross field pass is a bigger worry for me.

PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #85: Apr 03, 2018 03:24:37 pm

I'd pick Carra. Currently suspended by Sky and available.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #86: Apr 03, 2018 03:31:57 pm
      Klavan not available tomorrow looks like we are down to VVD and Lovren.

Injuries occurring at the wrong time.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,523 posts | 2874 
      Reply #87: Apr 03, 2018 03:42:25 pm
      Bloody hell, not a good day on the injury front then.

Don't think Lovren for Matip changes much really (bigger concern is getting our only two fit CBs through 3 games in 7 days) but Can not playing would be a blow considering how well he played against City last time and how poor the rest of our midfield have been this season.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #88: Apr 03, 2018 04:44:45 pm
      Bloody hell, not a good day on the injury front then.

Don't think Lovren for Matip changes much really (bigger concern is getting our only two fit CBs through 3 games in 7 days) but Can not playing would be a blow considering how well he played against City last time and how poor the rest of our midfield have been this season.

Klopp said in the presser just now that if anyone in the room could play center back he would like to talk with them.

No Gomez, Matip or Klavan (when did he get injured?). We've been selecting three defenders out of our seven subs. Then I think is there anyone else in the squad who has played center back before and remember - oh - it's Can, who also is likely out. We don't even have a u23 player who has featured with the first team.

BTW, if Henderson is booked tomorrow he is out for the return leg.

All of which will make it an even more special occasion when we defeat City tomorrow.

king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #89: Apr 03, 2018 05:03:18 pm
      We need a massive performance.  We are getting very thin on the injury front.   Short on Right backs,  short on CB and Midfielders it is getting me very nervous.  Can has been good in this fixture and will be a miss.  We need Henderson to roll back a couple of seasons and put one of them performance where he doesn't let their midfielders blink on the ball. 
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #90: Apr 03, 2018 05:27:57 pm
      Heard Sergio Aguero is out for the 1st leg.
      So that's some good news.

Huge game for Karius too. We could be doing with him making some good saves. Great that his form has improved and we don't have to depend on the Migmeister.
      « Last Edit: Apr 03, 2018 06:11:05 pm by bmck »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #91: Apr 03, 2018 06:13:28 pm
      Heard Sergio Aguero is out for the 1st leg.
      So that's some good news.

You would think so, but I think Jesus can have just an effective game as Aguero.

Quick Reply