Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Gerrard new Rangers manager. (Edited)

Read 22389 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Gerrard linked with Rangers job
      Reply #46: Apr 30, 2018 10:38:19 pm
      In another time this would have been a great opportunity for Stevie but Rangers really are in a state. He won't be guaranteed funds to compete. If you lose one game against Celtic the fans will despair. If you draw or lose to someone like Hearts, then that's it - you're not good enough. There is no flexibility in time or other resources to succeed in that job and has turned out to be the most insufferable, suffocating position in British football. To be honest, if your name isn't Walter Smith then some Rangers fans don't want to know who you are which says a lot about how long they've been in the doldrums but also hints at a lack of realism that someone so out of date and from yesteryear is somehow the answer when he's not.

And that's not even considering the perspective when you look east across Glasgow. Celtic have won the league this season whilst barely reaching their full capabilities, in fact given the standards they set last season I'd say they've been fairly average. According to Graham Souness they rake in three times as much revenue as Rangers. This year it's fair to say they've operated at a level of only 5 to 6/10. If they notched those performance levels up a little next season they'd win again and again for the next three years at least and probably with greater comfort than this season.

Absolutely,  the realism of going through the leagues has been replaced by unrealistic expectations,  don't understand that the club has to rebuild from scratch and financially they are a long way behind, aiming for second isn't the worse thing at the moment . Constantly chopping and changeing managers is no way to improve, for most of the history they had a handful of managers,  now it's every six months
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #47: Apr 30, 2018 11:35:04 pm
      He will need experience to be our manager, he can get that at Rangers. All he needs to be considered successful is remain number 2 in the league for a while. I think Gerrard will attract top top players and he could dethrone Celtic. He should go for it as long as he is promised a transfer kitty. I wouldn't be cool with Gerrard taking the reigns here if he can't handle Rangers. It's not a hard league.
      « Last Edit: Apr 30, 2018 11:41:20 pm by Ribapuru »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #48: May 01, 2018 09:28:06 am
      talk about Rangers being taken over and a big influx of cash to enable them to compete. Ranger Avg wage is £7k a week Celtic is £14k so its clear were the better players will want to go.
      I think If money is available to improve the squad the league is weak enough for him to make his mark.
      The problem is the club is still unstable dynamite if the proposed or alleged buyout happens then he should take it if not steer well clear.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #49: May 01, 2018 11:46:04 am
      Personally, I think Gerrard should stay at LFC and learn the ropes from Klopp. Who knows in say 5/6 years time, take over from Klopp, i.e. promotion from within. That way he continues playing the Klopp style.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #50: May 01, 2018 01:07:29 pm
      Everything about this just feels like the wrong move for him.

If only he could get a job as number 2 under an elite level manager a bit closer to home....
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #51: May 01, 2018 03:39:10 pm
      Everything about this just feels like the wrong move for him.

If only he could get a job as number 2 under an elite level manager a bit closer to home....

It's hard to know what would be best, either a number 2 role and learn the ropes or get experience as a manager himself.

My gut feeling is getting that experience as the boss might be best but not sure if Rangers is the right move.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #52: May 01, 2018 04:56:13 pm
      I'll swim against the tide here and say Rangers would be a good opportunity for Gerrard.

I understand the club has been through hell at least twice in the last decade, and the nature of the Old Firm rivalry makes the idea of a patient, structured rebuild almost impossible for any manager, but he would bring such a big reputation it would help offset this. He would be in charge of a first team, responsible for all footballing aspects of the club. There's no substitute for that experience. If he can make Rangers competitive with Celtic, let alone win anything, it would bolster his credentials as a manager candidate. He's never going to stay in Glasgow long term, but it can be a very good proving ground for him.

He can fail in Glasgow as much as he could fail in Sheffield, Coventry, Birmingham or London. Nobody wins until the first time they win.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #53: May 01, 2018 04:59:09 pm
      I hope you’re not talking about Sam Allardyce!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #54: May 01, 2018 05:27:19 pm
      I hope you’re not talking about Sam Allardyce!

The key word is elite
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #55: May 01, 2018 07:20:24 pm
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #56: May 01, 2018 11:40:17 pm
      A year in the Anfield hot seat is the equivalent to 5 years in the Celtic/Rangers job. 85% of their games are a forgone conclusion. Possible an even higher percentage.

I think it's a good starter for Gerrard. Going to a lower end Premier league or a Championship team could damage his credibility very quickly. Rangers will do well, may be challenge Celtic but realistically it will be one or two more seasons before they can compete with Celtic.

Pressure yes but not as intense as it might be elsewhere. Time for him to learn and grow into management. Good move. And the chance to give Rodgers a run for his money.
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #57: May 01, 2018 11:46:09 pm
      Personally, I think Gerrard should stay at LFC and learn the ropes from Klopp. Who knows in say 5/6 years time, take over from Klopp, i.e. promotion from within. That way he continues playing the Klopp style.

Nah.He has to cut loose and fly. He'll never get fully tested here. He needs to be out there and compete on a level footing. Staying here is the easy option and he won't really be close to Klopp. Klopp has his own team.

Cut his teeth in the slightly lower pressurised football climate in Scotland could be a wise move.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #58: May 02, 2018 01:00:51 am
      Nah.He has to cut loose and fly. He'll never get fully tested here. He needs to be out there and compete on a level footing. Staying here is the easy option and he won't really be close to Klopp. Klopp has his own team.

Cut his teeth in the slightly lower pressurised football climate in Scotland could be a wise move.

I agree but I think the timing is too soon. If he goes to Rangers and fails, his reputation is going to be damaged and he turns into another Gordon Strachan, formerly good player turned failed manager strumbling from one sh*t job to the next. Better to learn your craft under the radar. He's only been in coaching since last year.  Nonetheless, opinions and worries aside, if he choses it I wish him all the best.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #59: May 02, 2018 02:15:17 am
      I don't know why so many buy into the idea that Gerrard should work his way up from lower league football or Scottish football into a bigger team, as if he needed to grow his CV or gain reputation there... he's a big enough name to go straight into a much bigger job. Yeah, he needs experience as a manager, but going somewhere with expectations but little resources is hardly going to help. Much better to get that experience in house, as the likes of Guardiola, Luis Enrique and Zidane have done, and then move on to bigger things.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #60: May 02, 2018 09:36:35 am
      I see it differently from most of you guys, i see it as a win win for Stevie, If it goes Tits up which most think it will, then no one expected him to turn things round anyway........But...IF he did turn things around and made Rangers a visible force...at least in Scotland...then he'd be seen as a hero and manager with fantastic potential....let's be honest here, he's going there to cut his teeth in management, to find out if he can handle the pressure, the day to day running of a club , man management, the media, etc the winning, the losing, all the sh*t flung at you from everywhere,
      This is Glasgow we're talking about here, there is no escaping, you are entering the Lions den make no mistake,

At the end of the day he only has to beat one club, he's not expected to make Rangers a European super giant...and i don't think Rangers fans would expect that either...all they want is to see their team be competitive again, to go to Ibrox or parkhead and put on a show...not get humiliated and not have players not giving a shiney sh*te what happens,
      If Stevie can do that then for me he's been a success, if not then at the very lesst he has experience to take with him in his next challenge, and he knows where is Heart is .

All the best Stevie

YNWA
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #61: May 02, 2018 10:35:06 am

The rewards rather than the pressure are lower.

Trust me - manager of Celtic or Rangers brings a shitload of pressure.
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #62: May 02, 2018 10:41:35 am
      The rewards rather than the pressure are lower.

Trust me - manager of Celtic or Rangers brings a shitload of pressure.

Understood...wasn't trying to belittle Scotish football. I think, if he gets the right deal, he should take it. By the right deal I mean backing in the market. Has to be at the coal face, backroom at L'pool is fine but it doesn't replace the buzz of playing. Management comes as close as possible to doing that.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #63: May 02, 2018 10:46:13 am
      Stay here and ask Klopp to let you be his assistant for these last 3 games! What an inspiration he'd be around the Club, especially with our Champions League exploits!
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #64: May 02, 2018 10:59:02 am
      If he goes to Rangers I hope he loses every single match. Hate that club.

Biased because I'm Irish and have fondness for Celtic. He will be at Celtic Park listening to YNWA and against them.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #65: May 02, 2018 11:03:00 am
      He'll never get fully tested here.

Will he get fully tested at Rangers? Managing sh*t players in a sh*t league, whilst having the burden of history upon him but not the resources to compete against Celtic?

In any case, I think being a successful manager at lower level English football or the Scottish Premier League and being a successful manager at top European clubs takes very different skills.

People say Guardiola, Zidane and the like wouldn't be successful if they managed Ebbsfleet United or Accrington Stanley and that's right, they probably wouldn't, but who cares? That's not their ambition anyway. They manage top class players in top, rich clubs. The skills required are rather different.

So unless Gerrard wants to prepare for a life in the minor leagues, then I don't really see the point of being "tested" at Rangers. I mean for fucks sake, Kenny Miller still plays for them.

If I were him I'd much rather stay at LFC and learn from one of the very best in the business among top European clubs (I mean Klopp if that wasn't clear) than going down the route of thinking he needs to "prove" himself at that level to be worthy of consideration for bigger jobs. If he's sacked by Rangers though, then his reputation takes a big dent. No big club will want to appoint a manager who has failed in Scotland.
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #66: May 02, 2018 11:06:03 am
      If he goes to Rangers I hope he loses every single match. Hate that club.

Biased because I'm Irish and have fondness for Celtic. He will be at Celtic Park listening to YNWA and against them.

Don't start that stuff. It's a football job for a professional footballing man...that's all.
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #67: May 02, 2018 11:10:45 am
      Will he get fully tested at Rangers? Managing sh*t players in a sh*t league, whilst having the burden of history upon him but not the resources to compete against Celtic?

In any case, I think being a successful manager at lower level English football or the Scottish Premier League and being a successful manager at top European clubs takes very different skills.

People say Guardiola, Zidane and the like wouldn't be successful if they managed Ebbsfleet United or Accrington Stanley and that's right, they probably wouldn't, but who cares? That's not their ambition anyway. They manage top class players in top, rich clubs. The skills required are rather different.

So unless Gerrard wants to prepare for a life in the minor leagues, then I don't really see the point of being "tested" at Rangers. I mean for fucks sake, Kenny Miller still plays for them.

If I were him I'd much rather stay at LFC and learn from one of the very best in the business among top European clubs (I mean Klopp if that wasn't clear) than going down the route of thinking he needs to "prove" himself at that level to be worthy of consideration for bigger jobs. If he's sacked by Rangers though, then his reputation takes a big dent. No big club will want to appoint a manager who has failed in Scotland.

He'll get sacked wherever he goes if he makes a balls of it. Rangers is a good a place as any to start. It is a big job. If he's ready then why not take it. He may feel he needs another year here but the fear of being sacked should not come into it.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #68: May 02, 2018 11:17:24 am
      He'll get sacked wherever he goes if he makes a balls of it. Rangers is a good a place as any to start. It is a big job. If he's ready then why not take it. He may feel he needs another year here but the fear of being sacked should not come into it.

I know, but as others have said, the risks probably outweigh the rewards. And I'm not sure he needs to be tested at that level if he wants to manage a club like Liverpool in the future. That trajectory is necessary for up and coming unknown managers trying to build a reputation, not world famous former players. The skills he'll develop managing Kenny Miller will hardly translate to managing the next Mo Salah.

If after all he has the confidence to go there and win the league then fair enough but it doesn't look like a great career choice.

To be honest, I also strongly dislike Rangers as a club. This is all wrong. :D

Quick Reply