Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Gerrard new Rangers manager. (Edited)

Read 22443 times
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Re: Gerrard linked with Rangers job
      Reply #69: May 02, 2018 11:21:37 am
      Whatever he decides, good luck Stevie, I am sure that speaks for all LFC supporters. Whether he choses to start his managerial career north of the border or nearer home.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #70: May 02, 2018 11:24:04 am
      Understood...wasn't trying to belittle Scotish football. I think, if he gets the right deal, he should take it. By the right deal I mean backing in the market. Has to be at the coal face, backroom at L'pool is fine but it doesn't replace the buzz of playing. Management comes as close as possible to doing that.
      Agreed.

I wasn’t defending the honour of Scottish football either - it pretty sh*t tbh.......

But.......there’s a ridiculous level of expectation for both halves of the Old Firm borne more out of their hatred of each other than the capability of the team / management/ investment etc.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #71: May 02, 2018 11:58:54 am
      The rewards rather than the pressure are lower.

Trust me - manager of Celtic or Rangers brings a shitload of pressure.

Having thought about it, if he is successful people say it's a mickey mouse league, if he's not, he's a failure. None of that matters. He's not looking at the job for the rewards, it's precisely the pressure he wants. We aren't exactly known for our patience and if he one day takes over the helm at Liverpool he's going to be in a high pressure job. That's what he no doubt wants, experience at managing a club under high pressure circumstances, with a demanding supporter base who expect glory at every turn. That's us and the experience he gains from the job with them will stand him in good stead with us hopefully down the line one day.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #72: May 02, 2018 12:31:42 pm
      Was set for Ipswich last week. Personally think he will stay with us in a view to take over from Klopp one day.

Taking over from Klopp at the end of his contract ? ... I think is nailed on for Stevie.

Its whether he stays in the LFC "fold" or goes out to cut his teeth in the real world.

Not sure about Rangers.
      Its very partisan , its a pressure cooker and BR is gloating just down the road thinking he is a raging success in a league of what ....12 Championship level teams ?

Off topic. 

Hope we get through tonight and meet RM in the final.
      It will be the opportunity to get some self respect and pride back after our last European adventure against them ... if you can call that farce that.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #73: May 02, 2018 12:34:46 pm
      If he goes to Rangers I hope he loses every single match. Hate that club.

Biased because I'm Irish and have fondness for Celtic. He will be at Celtic Park listening to YNWA and against them.

He'll be going to parkhead as a manager of a football club not as a fan, they could be singing 'Stevie G is a fat kunt' and it still wouldn't bother him,

Incidentally i was born & brought up less than 12 miles from Ibrox, lifted over the turnstiles as a kid etc etc, but like you i hate that club....mainly because of their shithouse fans and their shithouse bigotry...they still sing their shithouse songs...from the 60's 70's 80's etc and fail to see that its So out of sync with the rest of the football world, ...Celtic fans are not much better although they are more endearing than their bigoted rivals.....

Anyhoo...i hope Stevie does well regardless of how i feel about that clubs fans !!

YNWA
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #74: May 02, 2018 12:57:56 pm
      Having thought about it, if he is successful people say it's a mickey mouse league, if he's not, he's a failure. None of that matters. He's not looking at the job for the rewards, it's precisely the pressure he wants. We aren't exactly known for our patience and if he one day takes over the helm at Liverpool he's going to be in a high pressure job. That's what he no doubt wants, experience at managing a club under high pressure circumstances, with a demanding supporter base who expect glory at every turn. That's us and the experience he gains from the job with them will stand him in good stead with us hopefully down the line one day.

That is true......but brings me back to core point.

Rangers (right now) are a basket case and I’m not convinced the skills will be traditionally transferable.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,259 posts | 1391 
      Reply #75: May 02, 2018 01:20:59 pm

Rangers (right now) are a basket case and I’m not convinced the skills will be traditionally transferable.

That's a fair point. Hadn't considered the shenanigans that went on in the boardroom in recent years. And I don't know if all that has been delt with. The last thing Gerrard wants is a club still in turmoil and infighting.

May be his people are waiting for LFC to offer him a higher profile role, may be not. Fact that he hasn't jumped in might indicate something will happen here. But yes your right, Rangers do come with baggage and recent financial trouble.

Careful consideration needed.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #76: May 02, 2018 02:51:55 pm

But being able to cope will be an invaluable experience. It's less about the football and more about his own personal experience at managing in a pressure cooker. Those skills are life skills and life skills are always transferable. I still think he'd be better going the Guardiola route of working his way through the club and taking over in ten years or so but I can understand why he'd be interested in Rangers.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #77: May 02, 2018 03:10:53 pm
      But being able to cope will be an invaluable experience. It's less about the football and more about his own personal experience at managing in a pressure cooker. Those skills are life skills and life skills are always transferable. I still think he'd be better going the Guardiola route of working his way through the club and taking over in ten years or so but I can understand why he'd be interested in Rangers.

Sorry fella disagree wholeheartedly - plenty clubs he can learn that without the baggage and bampottery.

Rangers are the footballing equivalent of sending a youth to war and saying it’ll make a man of him.

More than that it’s a war of questionable morality.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,411 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #78: May 02, 2018 03:24:35 pm
      Two directors,  paul murray and barry scott ( no not that one) have quit today
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #79: May 02, 2018 04:30:05 pm
      Am i the only one who thinks he should not take this job. Its a 2 team league and Rangers are far from winning a title. I think he he should see what happens with Buvac. He would get a better football education as Klopps #2 than Mgr of a club like Rangers. Rangers WERE a top club. But, they are far from beating Celtic which was apparant this week. He can finish 2nd 5 yrs in a row which in any other league would make him one of the best young managers in Europe. Except in the SPL. If he is the Rangers Mgr when Celtic win their 10th in a row, which is a mythic achievement in the Old Firm....he will be fired and considered a failure. But, If he becomes Klopps asst. He would be in line to replace him. Right?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #80: May 02, 2018 04:33:13 pm
      I know, but as others have said, the risks probably outweigh the rewards. And I'm not sure he needs to be tested at that level if he wants to manage a club like Liverpool in the future. That trajectory is necessary for up and coming unknown managers trying to build a reputation, not world famous former players. The skills he'll develop managing Kenny Miller will hardly translate to managing the next Mo Salah.

If after all he has the confidence to go there and win the league then fair enough but it doesn't look like a great career choice.

To be honest, I also strongly dislike Rangers as a club. This is all wrong. :D

It's an anti-Rangers feeling guiding many on here, I'd venture to guess. When people say it's too small to prepare him for Liverpool, well then there is no training ground for managing Liverpool because there is no bigger club. The work of managing, the training, the tactics, the recruitment, the man-management, that's what has to be developed/refined.

I used to be pretty immersed in that rivalry because of family background in Scotland. On one level it is a great rivalry but too much of it has become far too poisonous. It goes both ways and it's always wrapped up in "They started it." There's no purity there. I finally decided I had no time for the religious/bigotry/hatred aspect of it. It's just not right.

But on a football level, there is no reason why Steven Gerrard can't manage that club if he finds it is the right opportunity.
      « Last Edit: May 02, 2018 04:40:31 pm by Robby The Z »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #81: May 02, 2018 04:37:54 pm
      That's a fair point. Hadn't considered the shenanigans that went on in the boardroom in recent years. And I don't know if all that has been delt with. The last thing Gerrard wants is a club still in turmoil and infighting.

May be his people are waiting for LFC to offer him a higher profile role, may be not. Fact that he hasn't jumped in might indicate something will happen here. But yes your right, Rangers do come with baggage and recent financial trouble.

Careful consideration needed.

I don't expect him to have a bigger role at LFC until Klopp leaves. Klopp has been happy enough to give him his current job, but I wouldn't see Stevie being much of a lieutenant for anyone. At some point he will need to go somewhere else to get first team management experience.
      « Last Edit: May 02, 2018 11:29:42 pm by Robby The Z »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Harrisimo

• 8,259 posts | 1391 
      Reply #83: May 03, 2018 11:21:05 am
      Two directors,  paul murray and barry scott ( no not that one) have quit today

"Audit"...roger that..
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,014 posts | 523 
      Reply #84: May 03, 2018 11:28:42 am
      Stevie would be nuts to take the Rangers job. They are run by cowboys, and have no money to close the gap with Celtic. They've also sacked their last 3 managers for failing to meet expectations that are completely unrealistic given the funds available to them. If you were looking for a way to crash your managerial reputation on your very first attempt, you couldn't pick a better option.

Find a well run club with a bit of money to spend Stevie. Go down a division or 2 if necessary to find one. Rangers are a big club but, unless they've suddenly found a load of cash down the back of the couch, they aren't going to give you a realistic chance of success ( and won't give you time when the success doesn't come.) Triumph of ego over judgement if he takes it, in my opinion.
      Harrisimo

• 8,259 posts | 1391 
      Reply #85: May 03, 2018 12:00:49 pm
      Stevie would be nuts to take the Rangers job. They are run by cowboys, and have no money to close the gap with Celtic. They've also sacked their last 3 managers for failing to meet expectations that are completely unrealistic given the funds available to them. If you were looking for a way to crash your managerial reputation on your very first attempt, you couldn't pick a better option.

Find a well run club with a bit of money to spend Stevie. Go down a division or 2 if necessary to find one. Rangers are a big club but, unless they've suddenly found a load of cash down the back of the couch, they aren't going to give you a realistic chance of success ( and won't give you time when the success doesn't come.) Triumph of ego over judgement if he takes it, in my opinion.

But on the other hand picking a club like Ipswitch or similar could equally destroy his credibility very quickly. Rangers doesn't come without problems but on the field they are making progress. He won't get it in the neck if he finishes 2nd to Celtic. A good cup run will be expected but he will have time to develope his style and his methods. With Gary Mac he can learn quickly without that much pressure.

A Championship club with Gerrard as No.1 will demand at least the play off's. To much pressure so early on in his development. Rangers is a good starting point. Gary Sniv made totally the wrong choice. The Rangers job is not ideal but it could be a wise move.
      redclocker
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42 posts |
      Reply #86: May 03, 2018 01:57:09 pm
      Hope he takes it, with John Terry as on the pitch organiser for next season whilst they stop leaking at the back.

I think he'd take some of our youngsters on loan and maybe Mignolet who would look brilliant up there. All providing the money's available; they need investment big style as the other team is a long way ahead in finance and not just in points. No investment guarantees don't go. Investment and I'll look forward to my next Ibrox trip.

'Gers - the only Blues.         
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #87: May 03, 2018 02:04:57 pm
      Hope he takes it, with John Terry as on the pitch organiser for next season whilst they stop leaking at the back.

I think he'd take some of our youngsters on loan and maybe Mignolet who would look brilliant up there. All providing the money's available; they need investment big style as the other team is a long way ahead in finance and not just in points. No investment guarantees don't go. Investment and I'll look forward to my next Ibrox trip.

'Gers - the only Blues.       
      Doubt they would be able to afford Mignolet to be honest.
      Hasty Lover
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts |
      Reply #88: May 04, 2018 08:41:54 am
      Sky reporting he has agreed a 3 year deal with Gary mac as his assistant. Good luck Stevie lad hope to see you back where you belong at the forefront of the club in a few years
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #89: May 04, 2018 08:52:05 am
      Coming from a family of Celtic supporters I can only hope he fails miserably.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #90: May 04, 2018 08:55:08 am
      Pity. Hope you fail miserably there Stevie. Rotten club with rotten fans.
      Kopite78
      Reply #91: May 04, 2018 08:55:17 am
      Coming from someone who doesn't give a flying f**k about Rangers or Celtic or religion and whichever made up gods they disagree on I can only wish him well

Quick Reply