Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Napoli [Champions League] Tue 11th Dec @ 8:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 10th of December and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W5 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Chelsea?

Loris Karius
      1 (1.9%)
      Nathaniel Clyne
      1 (1.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      3 (5.6%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (3.7%)
      James Milner
      7 (13%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      5 (9.3%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      30 (55.6%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (3.7%)
      Dominic Solanke
      1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: May 10, 2018 06:23:13 pm

Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 5615 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,446 posts | 273 
      Re: Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #330: May 06, 2018 06:32:27 pm
      Indeed.

And what about Solanke. When I said being golden ball in the under whatever World Cup meant nothing for his professional career, I was slated for being negative. Guess what, it doesn't. He isn't ready to play for us.

I'll take back Daniel Sturridge and bin Solanke.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 708 
      Reply #331: May 06, 2018 06:32:27 pm
      Game when how i expected it to, and not how I wanted it to go... Chelsea, Like City and Utd just have real quality on the pitch as well as on the bench...

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,977 posts | 3646 
      Reply #332: May 06, 2018 06:33:06 pm
      Pretty shocking that we've got ourselves into this state really.  11 points dropped v Everton, West Brom, Stoke and Chelsea.

Not perhaps as good as we think we are, or not quite as professional as we like to think?
      ConzS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,092 posts | 307 
      Reply #333: May 06, 2018 06:33:09 pm
      How do you even vote a man of the match after that performance?

What a fantastic season we have had but it is really threatening to turn a bit sour at the end. We cannot finish outside the top four; we can certainly not take that kind of negativity in to the final in Kyiv.

The result, as it is, is not the worst - 1-0 against Chelsea at the Bridge is nothing to be ashamed of but the performance was sub par (to be polite).

The squad is really stretched and the boys, fair fucks to them, are running on fumes. A weeks rest and then let’s put 5 past Brighton, securing CL football next season.

And then we are in the final of the f**king Champions League!!!!
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 708 
      Reply #334: May 06, 2018 06:33:52 pm
      They bring on Pedro in extra time. We bring on Solanke as a game changer. Says it all really. We still need player investment.

Need not only quality starters, but maybe one or two quality subs... Midfield, I would be a great option and a cheap on at that if we tried to sign Shinji Okazaki, yes he is 32 but still show plenty of energy and creativeness would make a good sub to call on
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 107 posts | 34 
      Reply #335: May 06, 2018 06:34:03 pm
      The absence of Oxlade-Chamberlain and by extension Can are really being felt. The front 3 barely had decent support in front and were heavily outnumbered each time they had the ball.

I know these are injuries, but we need to figure something out really quickly because it was the same problem in the second game against Roma and heading into Brighton or the final like that its going to be really easy playing us for any team that takes the lead.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,426 posts | 247 
      Reply #336: May 06, 2018 06:34:25 pm
      No unexpected was it - we look fu**ed
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,040 posts | 3122 
      Reply #337: May 06, 2018 06:34:43 pm
      I don;t think I want to participate in the MOTM poll.
      I’m one that thinks we shouldn’t even have a motm poll if we lose.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,446 posts | 273 
      Reply #338: May 06, 2018 06:36:31 pm

I bet voting participation drops whenever we lose.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,280 posts | 350 
      Reply #339: May 06, 2018 06:37:06 pm

Second that.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,040 posts | 3122 
      Reply #340: May 06, 2018 06:38:34 pm
      Yes we shouldn’t have to worry about Brighton. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be concerned about the larger trend of dropping points at the end of the season. Injuries or not we should be able to get results against these sides. Anything can happen in one game which is the only reason I will be a little nervous next week.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,236 posts | 966 
      Reply #341: May 06, 2018 06:39:26 pm
      This club can never be blazè about anything and thats what its been.

Caught once again believing its own hype.

The sequence of results that has seen us having to win our last game of the season has been ridiculous.

We've took 3 points from Everton West Brom, Stoke and Chelsea.

Absolute no guarantees of beating Brighton who are far superior to Stoke and West Brom and much more pleasant on the eye to Everton.

I say this at the end of every season but surely this team will learn to actually achieve something before believing it's own hype.

The other thing is our bench is absolutely disgraceful. Mane, Salah and Firmino have been flogged within an inch of their lives because the bench is completely unusable.

Build a squad and then we can talk but until then we are wasting our time domestically.

Champions League plays into our strengths but we are as far off in the league as we ever have been under Klopp.

We have to be brutal and clear out the deadwood once more. I dont need 2 more years of Solankie heading it over from 6 yards to see hes miles away. Ings wasn't any good before his injuries and has to go.

Build a squad and build it well and then we can rest players without hitting relegation form.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #342: May 06, 2018 06:40:09 pm
      I thought Mane was very good today and against Roma 2nd leg. To bad Salah is in his worst form of the season for the past 3 games.
      Two cup finals to go now. Let's hope that with proper rest the lads can regain the momentum!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,083 posts | 4572 
      • YNWA
      Reply #343: May 06, 2018 06:40:36 pm
      Is it too late in the season to go back to the 'it was wrong to sell Coutinho' excuse?!  :P

Switched the radio off at 75 minutes. All I heard was us getting it to the front three quite easily and then...zilch. Diddly squit! Stonewall! Fizzled out! Try again next week. Either way I won't be wasting time getting worried and getting worked up about qualifying for the CL or not. If we do, we do. If we don't then we don't.

I had a hard time getting myself geared up for this, even the relief of midweek was short lived and not enough for me to want to face up to what should be an exciting end to the season. I should get angry, I should be thumping the table and cursing the loss of creative midfielders! Angsty about the impotence of our attack today! But I feel and felt nothing - not even a flinch when they scored. I'm just kinda passive. Dunno why. Exhaustion? Maybe a realisation of too much time spent worrying this year and not enough time of getting on in life? Strange one.

Anyway, let's allow the Redmen to sort this conundrum for themselves and enjoy the rest of your bank holiday weekend folks. We'll resume this next week when I hope we've all had our batteries a little bit more recharged!
      « Last Edit: May 06, 2018 06:45:26 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      PurpleMonkey

• 8,818 posts | 1358 
      Reply #344: May 06, 2018 06:40:51 pm
      Yes we shouldn’t have to worry about Brighton.

We should if they decide to park the bus... :(
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,008 posts | 166 
      Reply #345: May 06, 2018 06:41:01 pm
      Played ok for half an hour but looked knackered as the game went on. Hopefully we are saving it for the CL final.

I'm not going to slate the players for a 1-0 defeat away to Chelsea when they are clearly running on empty. I will have a quick moan about VVD's defending for their goal - getting sucked towards the ball and turning his back on his man. Lovren had no chance trying to mark 2 of them on his own. What's annoying me is that VVD did the exact same thing 2 minutes earlier and it gifted Rudiger a free header that luckily he missed. Shouldn't be doing that once, never mind twice.

Bottom line though is we should have got the job done against WBA or Stoke and then we wouldn't be worrying. As it is we now have to summon up 100% against Brighton. Should still do it obviously, but we've been careless as well as tired these last 3 league games.

Milner MOTM cos he put in the hardest shift.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 497 posts | 43 
      Reply #346: May 06, 2018 06:41:57 pm
      After a tough cl game

I expected a defeat here, Chelsea did get a bit lucky with their goal, we have it in our own hands

We need whoop Brighton to regain momentum, our cm is an issue, they are excellent at pressuring and winning back the ball but are so average when needing to unlock a defence

It’s why I am not sad about can going

I am excited with who klopp replaces him with

The performance against Stoke was the issue though and the soft draws our defence and keeper has cost us may haunt us yet

Step it up lads, destiny is in our own hands at Anfield

No excuses
      LondonRed83

• 7,536 posts | 734 
      Reply #347: May 06, 2018 06:45:05 pm
      Was just so passive and horrible to watch. We didn’t look like scoring the whole game. Toothless and weak.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,405 posts | 691 
      • YNWA
      Reply #348: May 06, 2018 06:45:18 pm
      Recent PL games have been so bloody frustrating. And again today.
      We should NOT be loosing that game, masses of possession, but back to the old bus parking problem, we can't break the f**king thing down.  F***ing Utd and Chavs played the same game against us, sat back, in their home game, and played us on the break. They know what to expect from us - should we not be expecting this from them and having SOME decent counter?!?!

Completely agree that the lads are wrecked, the CL is taking it out of them - some poor passing out there - found it hard to come up with a MOTM for the vote (went with VVD). It's the same 11 of so guys we're depending on week in week out, and that is f**king unbelievable for a club who wants to challenge. The bench is not good enough - and Jürgen know it - is why he hardly ever brings anyone on. Needs more bodies in summer.

In saying that, Solanke - who imho is nowhere near up to playing at this level - had a couple of headed chances, possibly the best 'chances' we managed to make in the 2nd half ?! - which says it all really.
      BUT why not stick Virgil up there instead of bringing on Solanke - he has better control and is a better header of the ball - he is guaranteed to win balls in the air - Maureen plays land-of-the-giants stuff all the time - could we not give it a shot when all f**king else is failing.
      If not that, something !!!  Dominic Solanke is close to not being something.

Must have spent 30 mins of that 2nd half passing it around in front of the Chavs defense.
      But not unused to seeing that in the PL.
      In CL, playing teams who actually want to play - and we make the most of it.

Jürgen still needs to find a way to beat teams who don't want to play football.

Need to beat f**king Brighton.

adammac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,656 posts | 45 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #349: May 06, 2018 06:47:03 pm
      I thought again looked like a combo of tired legs and players not really putting themselves out there to win looking ahead to being fit for the final. We played well the first 30 mins controlling the ball and making couple chances but after a unlucky deflection on cross right to Grioud head we never regained that control. Again example of why we another talented attacking player plugin front 3 (prefer one who can play up the middle since looking like this is second season in a row we are running Firmino into the ground). Chelsea did defend well but we didn't have the intensity ever looking like to threaten Chelsea in the second half.

It was easy to see Kloop was very mad about the performance and hope get the guys up for the last game cause I think we UCL final being two week away after our final EPL ga,e we have no excuse not to empty the tank and lock up UCL spot.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,203 posts | 98 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #350: May 06, 2018 06:47:44 pm
      Yes we shouldn’t have to worry about Brighton. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be concerned about the larger trend of dropping points at the end of the season. Injuries or not we should be able to get results against these sides. Anything can happen in one game which is the only reason I will be a little nervous next week.

Agree, we’ll definitively beat Brighton.

Since the first game against City we have played 9 games (5 PL and 2 CL) of those 9 we have kept a clean sheet in 4 games (but only won two).

We are shipping a lot of goals ( 10 in the last 9 games ) and today we conceded from their only chance.

Definitely look tired, thankfully we have a week until our next game and then two before th CL final.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,121 posts | 2704 
      Reply #351: May 06, 2018 06:47:50 pm
      its been one hell of a week for the lads no shame in defeat to a team who are clinging on to a CL spot like WBA are clinging on to the EPL.
      However win next week and it doesn't matter about today and Huddersfield still need a result on Weds to be certain so like normal we will leave it until the last minute .
      heimdall

• 7,179 posts | 1357 
      Re: LIVE: Chelsea v Liverpool (Premier League)
      Reply #352: May 06, 2018 06:50:57 pm
      We were totally in control until they scored, I still fancy us to win.

Obviously I made the fatal error of thinking the players gave a f**k about winning. What an awful display, very worrying.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,400 posts | 894 
      Reply #353: May 06, 2018 06:52:26 pm
      Agree, we’ll definitively beat Brighton.

Since the first game against City we have played 9 games (5 PL and 2 CL) of those 9 we have kept a clean sheet in 4 games (but only won two).

We are shipping a lot of goals ( 10 in the last 9 games ) and today we conceded from their only chance.

Definitely look tired, thankfully we have a week until our next game and then two before th CL final.

I'm sure that's what United said. It should never have gotten to this stage. Draws to Everton, West Brom and Stoke and we're now looking over our shoulder rather than resting players ahead of the biggest game in the last ten years. This should have been put to bed three games ago but the players, and Klopp took their eye off the ball and dropped it.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,203 posts | 98 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #354: May 06, 2018 06:55:01 pm
      I'm sure that's what United said. It should never have gotten to this stage. Draws to Everton, West Brom and Stoke and we're now looking over our shoulder rather than resting players ahead of the biggest game in the last ten years.

They have nothing to play for, it’ll be a disaster if we don’t. I don’t like to go to that game with that many pressure on us, but we should still be able to beat them.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,040 posts | 3122 
      Reply #355: May 06, 2018 06:56:54 pm
      I'm sure that's what United said. It should never have gotten to this stage. Draws to Everton, West Brom and Stoke and we're now looking over our shoulder rather than resting players ahead of the biggest game in the last ten years. This should have been put to bed three games ago but the players, and Klopp took their eye off the ball and dropped it.

Klopp hasn’t taken his eye off anything. Settle down.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,270 posts | 306 
      Reply #356: May 06, 2018 07:01:42 pm

He's a smug faced c**t
      Scottbot

• 6,966 posts | 1057 
      Reply #357: May 06, 2018 07:02:12 pm
      Game too far want it. Hardly surprising really given it's the same players every week. Lacked the zip and tempo that we normally have in the final third. She to see quslification go right to the wire given where we weee a few weeks ago but we are paying the price for having such a small squad. My only gripe in recent weeks is the lack of action for Ben Woodburn, how on earth does Solanke get on ahead of him? Baffles me, particularly when he can play in the middle of the park as well.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,008 posts | 166 
      Reply #358: May 06, 2018 07:10:01 pm
      Game too far want it. Hardly surprising really given it's the same players every week. Lacked the zip and tempo that we normally have in the final third. She to see quslification go right to the wire given where we weee a few weeks ago but we are paying the price for having such a small squad. My only gripe in recent weeks is the lack of action for Ben Woodburn, how on earth does Solanke get on ahead of him? Baffles me, particularly when he can play in the middle of the park as well.

Yeah Woodburn would have made sense with 15 minutes or so to go, with them sitting deep. And I'm far from a Moreno fan, but bringing him on to try and give us a bit more energy ( and width) made sense - but why so late? 88th minute I think it was. It's still rare to see Jürgen make a sub that changes a game. ( Granted this may have a fair bit to do with the quality of our bench)
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,270 posts | 306 
      Reply #359: May 06, 2018 07:11:06 pm
      And what's all this anti solanke sh*t he had about 15 mins to do something and you lot want him fu**ed off give him a break no one was on form today and he had nothing to work with.

Quick Reply