Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Nabil Fekir (Lyon)

Read 166362 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Nabil Fekir (Lyon)
      Reply #713: Jun 17, 2018 11:46:49 pm
      You are right, but the part where I think we went wrong is when we decided to renegotiate. From what I've seen in the past, the club comes out and calls it a failed medical and that negotiations end there. We're a club struggling to raise enough funds to get our transfer targets in a league where we are fighting clubs with very deep pockets like Chelsea, City, and Utd. We can't lower the fee to 40M as if it was pocket money for us and then watch the guy be Lallana#2. 

In the situation where you still feel like the guy is worth it at a reduced price, then you should come out with a statement saying that you detected a problem that prompted you to renegotiate towards a lower price in order to take into account the risk linked with his knee problem in order to cover yourself in front of the world instead of letting the speculation go wild. 

Of course, when we look back at it, it's easy to say that. The club might be avoiding such a statement in order to protect the player or they might simply be trying to be delicate because there is still talks going on or whatever. For all we know, this knee story might not even be the problem (even tho it really looks like it since day 1).

There is absolutely no evidence that we tried to renegotiate the deal.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #714: Jun 18, 2018 12:27:25 am

Nobody actually has a clue exactly what happened. It's pretty obvious, or at least it seems obvious, we aren't going to be signing anyone over the next few weeks so I'm not even giving it any thought now. As long as we go into next season with a squad strong enough to compete with City, be it with Fekir or without him, is all that matters.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #715: Jun 18, 2018 12:32:12 am

Thereā€™s no evidence that we didnā€™t.

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #716: Jun 18, 2018 01:03:36 am
      Of course, that's why I stated we don't really know for sure what happened. We can only speculate, but IMHO the renegotiation following a problem detected in the medical is the most plausible avenue.

The reason this theory is the one that sticks the most is that the player's done an interview, took pictures with the shirt on (or was maybe photoshopped into one, but by our people in an official manner) and all that... my only guess is that for all of this to happen you must've come down to an agreement with the selling party otherwise how do you end up interviewing the guy as a new signing?

With that being said, what can happen at this point to make the deal fall through? Its either we tried renegotiating, Lyon tried renegotiating, Lyon had a change of heart or we simply canceled the whole thing. In two of those cases, we backtracked for a reason...most plausible one being the medical.

I say all that, but that's just personal theories and I understand that I could be very wrong. We'll end up knowing the truth at some point. In the meantime, let's hope we find a suitable replacement and complete the other transfers Klopp needs before pre-season rolls around.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #717: Jun 18, 2018 11:06:52 am

Superb debating skills as always!!!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #718: Jun 18, 2018 11:16:16 am

Back to donald rumsfeld and his known unknowns
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #719: Jun 18, 2018 03:30:16 pm
      Back to donald rumsfeld and his known unknowns

I've seen reports from all different kinds of sources saying that we did and didn't try to renegotiate the price, enough that I wouldn't bet any money on it either way. I don't know that flippant remarks really make a difference one way or the other.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #720: Jun 18, 2018 10:28:06 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #721: Jun 18, 2018 10:32:46 pm

Beat me to it.

Another twist on things added to the saga. The fact his agent has said this, and that the French Football President said Fekir had told him the medical was passed and all good does make me think more it is just Aulas being a tit for the sake of it, he was adamant no deal would go through until after the World Cup.

No doubt there will be many more things being said about this though.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1633 
      Reply #722: Jun 18, 2018 11:16:50 pm
      Said straight away this is not over and until we come out and say it is why would it
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #723: Jun 18, 2018 11:58:11 pm
      Well whatā€™s his agent going to say ā€œNabil was set to transfer to Liverpool but they backed out because they are worried about he long term health of his surgically repaired kneeā€.

Donā€™t do this to yourselves guys.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #724: Jun 18, 2018 11:59:40 pm
      Well whatā€™s his agent going to say ā€œNabil was set to transfer to Liverpool but they backed out because they are worried about he long term health of his surgically repaired kneeā€.

No he can just say the deal broke down for reasons he can't discuss, saying its still on is kind of a weird way of defecting.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #725: Jun 19, 2018 04:20:03 am

Yeah, I mean... why would an agent say the move is still on when Fekir apparently had another couple suitors who could swoop in for him?

Either way, not extremely arsed about this. If he comes, good luck to him. If not, we find another.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #726: Jun 19, 2018 07:21:01 am
      Beat me to it.

Another twist on things added to the saga. The fact his agent has said this, and that the French Football President said Fekir had told him the medical was passed and all good does make me think more it is just Aulas being a tit for the sake of it, he was adamant no deal would go through until after the World Cup.

No doubt there will be many more things being said about this though.

Lord knows.......
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #727: Jun 19, 2018 11:11:27 am
      That his agent wants a move to happen (doesn't say necessarily to us) is definitely a dog bites man story. That's how they make their money. But I think Liverpool have made it clear enough through back channels (not direct comment) that they did back out of the move because of concerns re the medical.

I was excited about the potential signing but I don't see anything here to tell me anything has changed.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #728: Jun 19, 2018 11:21:45 am
      Lā€™equipe who broke the initial story said at the time he did pass the medical but there was concerns about how the ACL repair had been carried out. MRI apparently showed a botch job.........obviously exaggerating a bit here!

So although there is no definitive quotes that we tried to renegotiate the terms it would be understandable to mitigate the increased risk of a future injury.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #730: Jun 19, 2018 12:15:21 pm
      Lā€™equipe who broke the initial story said at the time he did pass the medical but there was concerns about how the ACL repair had been carried out. MRI apparently showed a botch job.........obviously exaggerating a bit here!

So although there is no definitive quotes that we tried to renegotiate the terms it would be understandable to mitigate the increased risk of a future injury.

But, over the last year, when we have withdrawn our interest in the player after negotiations the club have released a statement. I have no doubts the same would have been done had we decided to walk away from this for the summer.

Everything that has been said has come from either Lyon, or someone connected to the player. Nothing has come from us, other than journos thinking they know when in actual fact I expect one has gone with the injury and all the others have just jumped on the same story. If anyone would know then I expect it would be Reddy but even she has basically said she has no idea, just not in as many words.

Iā€™m happy for us to stay tight lipped on this and for the journos, ā€œITKsā€ etc to keep pissing in the wind and for everyone to keep assuming they know whatā€™s happened. We will find out sooner or later.
      « Last Edit: Jun 19, 2018 12:20:05 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #731: Jun 19, 2018 12:41:43 pm

I know - canā€™t work out if heā€™s trying to be enigmatic or just totally flummoxed........

Never simple with the redmen.........well not in recent times 🙄
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #732: Jun 19, 2018 12:47:38 pm
      Yeah, I mean... why would an agent say the move is still on when Fekir apparently had another couple suitors who could swoop in for him?

Either way, not extremely arsed about this. If he comes, good luck to him. If not, we find another.

Yeah, Iā€™m with you in this, not too worried if he comes or not as Iā€™m sure Jurger will make the right choice.

There is no reason for the agent to say any of this if the deal is truly death I mean, after two weeks why continue to talk about this deal? If he indeed passed his medical other teams will be interested, either this window or during the winter. There is definitely more to this story than what we already know.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #733: Jun 19, 2018 05:44:04 pm
      The knee injury history of Nabil Fekir that might have held up Liverpool transfer

Fekir told reporters that he was in peak condition, but just what exactly is the Liverpool transfer targets history of knee problems?

It was a deal that appeared to be on life support for Liverpool - but could their move for Nabil Fekir now be revived?

The Lyon captain's agent Jean-Pierre Bernes suggested as much when he quoted as saying by French TV channel LCI on Monday night that the Reds could yet have a successful resolution to their latest summer transfer saga.

ā€œHe didn't sign because um... it is not over! This is not the end of the story," he said.

Liverpool looked set to conclude negotiations earlier this month, but were keen to seek a second opinion on a medical, with Fekir having a history of knee problems throughout his career.

Fekir himself though stated that his knee is "super-good" and that he is feeling no ill effects as he continues his World Cup campaign with France.

ā€œMy knee is super-good. We work a lot on it, we reinforce it. But I honestly feel like before my injury," he said at a press conference.

But just what exactly is the player's history of knee problems that might have caused Liverpool to think twice about a big-money move?

Fekir made 30 appearances in Ligue 1 last term, with the OL captain starting 28 times and playing a further 10 games in the Europa League and Coupe de France.

In total he clocked up 3,235 minutes on the pitch and netted 23 goals in all competitions.

However, Fekir was absent for seven games between February 26 and April 2 with a knee contusion for what was his third issue in as many seasons.

A previous knee injury in the 2016/17 season saw him miss three games between August and September. On August 28 2016, it was announced that Fekir would be forced under the knife after sustaining an injury in OL's 4-2 defeat to Dijon.

The attacking midfielder eventually fought back admirably and made 49 appearances for Lyon in all competitions, playing a total of 3,387 minutes and contributing 14 goals and 12 assists in the process.

However, it was the problem sustained 12 months earlier where Liverpool's reported reluctance might lie.

Fekir was a rapidly rising star in September 2015 when he was struck down with an anterior cruciate ligament rupture.

Ligue 1's Young Player of the Year was making his first start for France against Portugal when he suffered the serious injury to his right knee. He was operated on within days and was sidelined until April 2016.

The lengthy setback limited Fekir's campaign to just nine appearances and it is the repeated knee problems that could be at the root of the stalling on the deal.

Nabil Fekir knee injuries

Knee contusion - February/April 2018 (Seven games missed)

Knee injury - August/September 2016 (Three games missed)

Cruciate ligament rupture - September 2015/April 2016 (39 games missed)

Link To Liverpool Echo Article

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #734: Jun 22, 2018 08:34:20 pm
      It seems that this deal can still happen. I'd be  over the moon if it does. If it does not happen it still shows that we have great ambitions and we're looking for a good attacking midfielder to replace Coutinho.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #735: Jun 22, 2018 09:22:32 pm
      Perhaps we should pay the full asking price, if Lyon agree to a full refund when he breaks.
      Bit like you would get when buying a pair of shoes or a chair or something.
      That should do it 😂

Quick Reply