Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Madrid?

Loris Karius
      16 (11.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.2%)
      Andy Robertson
      34 (24.8%)
      Dejan Lovren
      6 (4.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (1.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      3 (2.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (1.5%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (1.5%)
      Sadio Mane
      69 (50.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Voting closed: May 30, 2018 09:39:22 pm

Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 52268 times
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Re: Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #897: May 27, 2018 09:28:03 pm
      Still trying to get my head round the result to be honest.
      On a slightly leftfield thought, does anyone know anymore about that guy who ran on the pitch just as Artificial Intelligence was just about to shoot with about five minutes left? weird one that was. Was he a Real fan? a pissed off Red?

I just hope we draw them in the group stage next season(is that possible?) and F***ing wipe them off the face of the earth.
      God help Ramos if he ever came to Anfield again ;D

lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #898: May 27, 2018 09:31:55 pm
      I think we lack pace last nite would be better bring on can or even younger player just run after real Madrid defense no point in bring on Adam lallana he brings nothing to game he too slow
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #899: May 27, 2018 09:48:28 pm
      Still trying to get my head round the result to be honest.
      On a slightly leftfield thought, does anyone know anymore about that guy who ran on the pitch just as Artificial Intelligence was just about to shoot with about five minutes left? weird one that was. Was he a Real fan? a pissed off Red?

I just hope we draw them in the group stage next season(is that possible?) and f**king wipe them off the face of the earth.
      God help Ramos if he ever came to Anfield again ;D

I was actually thinking about that myself, weird one that was, he will be in the bowels of some Ukrainian cell right now :D

More I think of last night, despite the obvious key moments during the match, Madrid just used all their experience and dirty tricks to disrupt our flow and never allow us to have those spells where we fly at teams.

We also need to get some decent back up to our front men, at least in terms of their style of play. Lallana, Ings, Solanke donā€™t play in any way like any of our front 3 and it means our whole system changes when one of them has to come off.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #900: May 27, 2018 09:50:03 pm
      Our mids not got enough smarts effort closing down cant fault them killer pass few and far between Ox is a big loss  along with Can.

Cant help thinking if Ramos had a red shirt on  and done Ronaldo Kroos or the brilliant Modric we would still be partying  we need some smarts Naby and a few others will see that happen  been on the sauce all day Anfield Cavern and a  few other pubs half skooshed I amazed  at how upbeat the reds I met  were pee'd off sure as to the future bring it on
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #901: May 27, 2018 09:56:59 pm
      Our mids not got enough smarts effort closing down cant fault them killer pass few and far between Ox is a big loss  along with Can.

Cant help thinking if Ramos had a red shirt on  and done Ronaldo Kroos or the brilliant Modric we would still be partying  we need some smarts Naby and a few others will see that happen  been on the sauce all day Anfield Cavern and a  few other pubs half skooshed I amazed  at how upbeat the reds I met  were pee'd off sure as to the future bring it on

Love a pissed poster
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #902: May 27, 2018 10:03:57 pm
      I was actually thinking about that myself, weird one that was, he will be in the bowels of some Ukrainian cell right now :D
      :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Back on topic - Thought Kroos stamped his foot into every tackle once Salah went off and got away with F***ing murder as far as i'm concerned.
      If our midfield had've adapted that kind of game we would've finished with 9 men >:(

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #903: May 27, 2018 10:40:45 pm
      Quote from JD
      Two weeks off, as I suspected, hampered us rather than kept us match fit.  Let's never do the little trip to Spain again before a game because we've lost after every single one of those jollys.

I agree that the two week break was too long. But we haven't lost after every one of the overseas training camps. Last time we were in Spain, we beat West Ham 4-1 when we returned. And when we went to Dubai, we came back and beat City 4-3.

That said, I don't think we should be going on these jollys at all. During decent breaks, the players should be resting at home, not jetting off on foreign trips. We have plenty of travel to do as it is. We have state of the art facilities at Melwood, and there's even sunshine. Sometimes.

I know the big German sides go off on winter training camps to Doha and Dubai, but it's about -20c at home then, so you can understand it. You don't have that in Liverpool, even if it feels like it sometimes.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #904: May 27, 2018 10:46:20 pm
      We need 10 new players, 9 if you include Keita. We need at least 1 new keeper, possibly 2, at least 1 new cb, a new rb, the midfield needs to be completely rebuilt, and 1 forward who can come in and do a job, when the current forwards can't. Then we need strength in depth to back them up. That's at least 10 players, and will take at least 2 years to assemble, mould, and have us ready to compete at the highest level and win major trophies.

We also need a new captain, and he has to be VVD, and possibly Milner as vice captain. Somebody who can organise, direct, be assertive, a natural leader, be blunt when necessary, and a steady hand when under pressure. A Souey, a Thommo, a Stevie. A captain in any sport is the coach's voice on the pitch. Hendo isn't that person, and never will be. The only trophy he'll ever win is the "passing the ball 10 yards championships". We scored 47 goals in the European Cup, he scored 0. He's not a leader, and if he isn't a leader, he's not really a captain.

We've been here before, and we got through it. We'll get through this. We're not very far away, but there's work still to be done to take us to where we ultimately want to be.

Drivel
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #905: May 27, 2018 10:57:17 pm
      I agree that the two week break was too long. But we haven't lost after every one of the overseas training camps. Last time we were in Spain, we beat West Ham 4-1 when we returned. And when we went to Dubai, we came back and beat City 4-3.

That said, I don't think we should be going on these jollys at all. During decent breaks, the players should be resting at home, not jetting off on foreign trips. We have plenty of travel to do as it is. We have state of the art facilities at Melwood, and there's even sunshine. Sometimes.

I know the big German sides go off on winter training camps to Doha and Dubai, but it's about -20c at home then, so you can understand it. You don't have that in Liverpool, even if it feels like it sometimes.

Not asking for much are you?

Go on - treat yourself for once.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #906: May 27, 2018 11:30:51 pm
      Seriously though, for me, we just lacked that extra bite, apart from the obvious double blooper from Karius, our midfield did lack the bite and skill to overcome the Modric/Kroos double act.
      I loved Gini's agility and effort and will to win the ball and create something once he'd got it.
      Hendersons constant closing down was constant.
      Milner harassed and bullied as best he could and as much as his 32 yr old legs allowed him to.

Trent and Robertson, along with Lovren and Van were very, very good last night.
      Van seemed to have them really organised and the youthful full backs had a really good start asking some heavy questions to their full backs creating our best chances in open play.
      Both full backs will want more of what they experienced last night and will be even better next season for us.

How agonising was it when Mane's shot hit the post :f_wah:

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #907: May 27, 2018 11:58:06 pm
      I think the majority of the reasons in which we lost the game last night fall solely down to things you don't have a great deal of control over.

An injury to your most threatening player in the nature of huge injustice, can play havoc in a game of that magnitude. It's a different kettle of fish if it's a league game in November away to Stoke. But against Real Madrid in a European Cup Final - a game many of our players have never got near to experiencing before - that will knock the confidence out of people. And with that comes instinctive retreat. Both physically on the pitch and mentally. This is why I think a lot of our players looked slight shadows of themselves after that horrible injury to Mo.

Another thing is the quality of Bale. He's always had a presence on the pitch when he's played against us. Anyone remember that game against Spurs at Anfield before he went to Madrid and he had a bit of a sh*t game and was getting buzzed off? That speaks volumes of his quality and presence when he is in the opposition against us. He came on, scored one the best goals you're ever going to see which put them in the lead again and from that moment on, it knocked the stuffing out of us. You can't argue with goals like that.

The goalie mistakes are things we did have control over. And that was a huge factor.

They're the fundamental reasons why we lost. But if our best player gets up and plays on and Bales 1st goal goes miles over the bar, I think we'd have seen a more familiar performance from us. Maybe not a different result, but deffo a performance with more confidence, which would definitely impact the result.

At the end of the day though, you can't gift goals to Real Madrid and expect to come out with a cup on the other side.

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #908: May 28, 2018 12:22:00 am
      I think the game went to script in a way. Our midfield three of Gini, Henderson and Milner are gifted upon us because of injuries to Can, Ox and Coutinho leaving in the January. When those three play WITH Salah, Mane and Firmino we are capable of beating anyone. Take Salah out (or Mane  or Firmino) different story entirely. This is because of the way we play. They back up the front 3 with work rate but if the front 3 aren't creating we rely on these guys doing a job they aren't trained for. Even Can fit would have given us more drive out of midfield or Ox. We could only bring on a Lallana or Can whom haven't played . There is  the difference. But if we are being honest, Ramos totally took Salah, no he didn't plan it, yes he got the opportunity and took it. Look at the elbow on Karius this guy is a pro who does this for a living. ONce Salah went we were up against it. Having said that it was only Karius's two gifts that were the difference. You can suppose what would and wouldn't have happened but that is what happened.

As for the future, very bright under JĆ¼rgen as long as he doesn't begin to believe he's jinxed.
      « Last Edit: May 28, 2018 12:31:17 am by vulcan_red »
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #909: May 28, 2018 12:35:39 am
      1. Sergio Ramos should be ashamed of lifting that trophy
      2. Bale's goal was legendary and made me feel way less worse about the result. No denying that gem.
      3. Karius...Good God man...Just...My God...x2
      4. The c**t that invaded the pitch should be banned from every stadium around the world.
      5. Our future looks very bright under JĆ¼rgen. Just need some key signings and keep playing like this season.
      6. Get better Salah. We are with you!

P.S. Booing other teams when they are on the ball, just because they are the other team, the opponent? I would think it was just because it's Real Madrid (I despise them too), but the same happened with Roma. It's embarrassing. Have some class.
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #910: May 28, 2018 12:49:33 am
      Given that Ramos did not receive a Yellow during the game, surely they have to retrospectively look into his incident with Salah and the elbow to Karius??
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #911: May 28, 2018 12:51:50 am
      Given that Ramos did not receive a Yellow during the game, surely they have to retrospectively look into his incident with Salah and the elbow to Karius??

And then find the b***ard guilty and suspend him for life.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #912: May 28, 2018 08:38:06 am
      Actually feeling worse today than I did yesterday. Losing in a European cup final is the worst feeling there is in football especially as your straight into summer with 2 months wait for the new season. This run of losing finals and always being the bridesmaid is pretty tough to take.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 875 posts | 102 
      Reply #913: May 28, 2018 08:47:15 am
      You might as well just call us a one team then mate.

If Karius didn't make the mistakes and if salah stayed on I still think we'd have lost but again, we will never know.

..........really simplistic view and I'll give you a really simplistic response, if Karius hadnt fu**ed up the score wouldve been 1:1 and Im pretty confident that Mo wouldve score or created something, catch yer f***in self on
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #914: May 28, 2018 09:32:30 am
      Itā€™s going to be a long 2 months now - half of which Iā€™ll have my posterior planted in the Canarian sun ;) - waiting to see how JĆ¼rgen recruits.

36 hours on.....I donā€™t feel as I thought I would if we lost (maybe Iā€™m getting old).

Iā€™m not disappointed - Iā€™m kinda empty. The hardest part in some ways is that thereā€™s no game to loook forward to now to blow away the cobwebs.

I get the frustration many are feeling - no doubt weā€™ll be outspent by City and Utd at least this summer so where does that leave us.....?

I think we have a great nucleus now - Naby Keita motherf#ckers! - but we do need more choice/depth. Scouting staff will have identified a shortlist and JĆ¼rgen will choose more right ones than wrong.......of this Iā€™m sure.......BUT - and this is the real kicker - this is a time when we need to have options. The frontline needs to be at least 3 from 4 high end; mid 3 or 4 from 7; cbs 2 from 4 serious options and a keeper.....

Thatā€™s the investment needed to kick on - will FSG release that type of money and sanction that sort of squad depth......? Not if past form is anything to go by - thereā€™s been no evidence in 8 years of any desire to carry squad depth.

My asks of JĆ¼rgen?

- more of the same PLUS
      - accept that in THIS league more depth is required that you might carry in Germany
      - commit to a big, crazy, ā€œscare the bejesus outta forwardsā€ keeper.

We go again. Never give up, never give in.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #915: May 28, 2018 10:02:42 am
      I blamed Karius for 2 stupid goals he let in,but after seeing a video showing he got an intentional elbow to the head i am wondering if he was suffering from concussion.We will never know unless the club doctor checked him out after the match.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #916: May 28, 2018 10:10:49 am
      I blamed Karius for 2 stupid goals he let in,but after seeing a video showing he got an intentional elbow to the head i am wondering if he was suffering from concussion.We will never know unless the club doctor checked him out after the match.

Having boxed for c.15 yr Billy I can assure you it canā€™t have helped.......his depth perception etc woulda been off......

In the end though it just wasnā€™t our night.....we need to get better at making our own luck.

I remember a time when our skipper broke the jaw of the oppo skipper in a big European tie (Souey)......these dirty f#ckers need to fear us a bit more before we start to win the big ones......

Itā€™s close though.......
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #917: May 28, 2018 10:28:52 am
      Having boxed for c.15 yr Billy I can assure you it canā€™t have helped.......his depth perception etc woulda been off......

In the end though it just wasnā€™t our night.....we need to get better at making our own luck.

I remember a time when our skipper broke the jaw of the oppo skipper in a big European tie (Souey)......these dirty f#ckers need to fear us a bit more before we start to win the big ones......

Itā€™s close though.......

I did say in an earlier post Al that we needed a Tommy Smith-Souness type of player who would not put up with the thuggery that Ramos was dishing out.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,866 posts | 2691 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #918: May 28, 2018 10:40:34 am
      I did say in an earlier post Al that we needed a Tommy Smith-Souness type of player who would not put up with the thuggery that Ramos was dishing out.

Billy, both those players would of made sure Ramos would of got what was coming. In those days it was eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth. Without doubt a premeditated attack on your talisman to spoil the game.  :f_steam:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #919: May 28, 2018 10:56:38 am
      Billy, both those players would of made sure Ramos would of got what was coming. In those days it was eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth. Without doubt a premeditated attack on your talisman to spoil the game.  :f_steam:

And as usual EUFA will let the tw*ts get away with the thuggery.I just hope the b***ard never shows up at Anfield.

Quick Reply