Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Madrid?

Loris Karius
      16 (11.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.2%)
      Andy Robertson
      34 (24.8%)
      Dejan Lovren
      6 (4.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (1.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      3 (2.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (1.5%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (1.5%)
      Sadio Mane
      69 (50.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Voting closed: May 30, 2018 09:39:22 pm

Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 52270 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: Real Madrid 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #966: Jun 01, 2018 04:22:10 am
      I still believe at least the spine of the team should made up of British players and I am not a British citizen by saying that. We need to go back to our roots. British players tend to move abroad less and tend to settle down easier than foreign players thus less distractions. That itself stabilises the club and provides sustain challenge. In the 70s and 80s we used to have only a handful of foreign players and we did remarkably well and I'm sure if we scout the country thoroughly from the north to the south we will be able to get these quality British players. Its tiring to have a replay of the Suarez, Torres, Masc etc fisaco time and again when we were on the rise and got deflated time and again. And I'm damn happy that Robertson is doing very well this season, typical Liverpool player - hard running, tackling, no nonsense, 100% commitment on the field. Hopefully, Robertson would be an eye opener to Klopp. I may get flamed here but that's how i sees it.

Actually, it's one of the reasons we have fallen so far behind in the last couple of decades because of attitudes like this. Football has moved on. We're no longer in the 70s or 80s. You're talking 40 years ago.

A lot of our fan base are obsessed with giving local or British lads a chance. It's great when a local lad or a product from the academy come through but other than young Trent, who was the last scouser to come through the ranks who was fit to wear the shirt? Gerrard? 20 years ago?

Then look at our national team. It's an absolute shambles. So are the other home nations. So why would (or should) we focus on signing British players?

The vast majority of players who have come up from the academy during my generation so the likes of spearing, Kelly, mellor or the big money British players we've signed in recent years being the  likes of downing, Carroll, adam, allen etc have all been utter dog sh*t to say the least and they shouldn't have been anywhere near this club.

Robertson is a gem. He has been a brilliant find but signings like him are extremely rare. Not just at Liverpool but at any club. We can't keep shopping around at lower league clubs hoping they all turn into an andy Robertson or a dele ali. It isn't going to happen.

I would rather have a spine with alonso and mascherano in it and put up with the approaches from other clubs during the transfer windows than stick with the likes of Jordan Henderson who in your opinion may be loyal to us and hard working because he's British.

I couldn't care if he's British and I couldn't care if he's loyal, I only care about whether he's good enough for Liverpool and if we're honest, no he isn't. He isn't fit to lace either of mascheranos or alonsos boots and he recently got embarrassed in a European cup final by two players head and shoulders above him being kroos and modric.

Already we're now talking about a midfield three for next season being Fabinho, Keita and fekir and trust me when I say this, it will be a huge improvement on what we've seen ever since, strangely, alonso and masch left us.

None of those three are British or local lads but I will bet you now they bring a much needed boost and so much quality to this team.

Will they go to Madrid or Barca if they eventually come knocking? Well, that's entirely down to FSG isn't it.  Why don't other players at the likes of Chelsea or city ever go to those type of clubs I wonder? Aguero and silva have spent all of their careers at city pretty much. And it's because their owners pay them well and they show ambition with their signings.  Something our owners have never done whether it was hicks n Gillette or even FSG.

Our players don't have to be local and they don't have to be British. Football has moved way past that now.  They just have to be good enough. Henderson, milner, Gini simply aren't good enough to dine at the top table. Fabinho, Keita and fekir are.

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,242 posts | 1652 
      Reply #967: Jun 01, 2018 10:35:25 pm
      Actually, it's one of the reasons we have fallen so far behind in the last couple of decades because of attitudes like this. Football has moved on. We're no longer in the 70s or 80s. You're talking 40 years ago.

A lot of our fan base are obsessed with giving local or British lads a chance. It's great when a local lad or a product from the academy come through but other than young Trent, who was the last scouser to come through the ranks who was fit to wear the shirt? Gerrard? 20 years ago?

Then look at our national team. It's an absolute shambles. So are the other home nations. So why would (or should) we focus on signing British players?

The vast majority of players who have come up from the academy during my generation so the likes of spearing, Kelly, mellor or the big money British players we've signed in recent years being the  likes of downing, Carroll, adam, allen etc have all been utter dog sh*t to say the least and they shouldn't have been anywhere near this club.

Robertson is a gem. He has been a brilliant find but signings like him are extremely rare. Not just at Liverpool but at any club. We can't keep shopping around at lower league clubs hoping they all turn into an andy Robertson or a dele ali. It isn't going to happen.

I would rather have a spine with alonso and mascherano in it and put up with the approaches from other clubs during the transfer windows than stick with the likes of Jordan Henderson who in your opinion may be loyal to us and hard working because he's British.

I couldn't care if he's British and I couldn't care if he's loyal, I only care about whether he's good enough for Liverpool and if we're honest, no he isn't. He isn't fit to lace either of mascheranos or alonsos boots and he recently got embarrassed in a European cup final by two players head and shoulders above him being kroos and modric.

Already we're now talking about a midfield three for next season being Fabinho, Keita and fekir and trust me when I say this, it will be a huge improvement on what we've seen ever since, strangely, alonso and masch left us.

None of those three are British or local lads but I will bet you now they bring a much needed boost and so much quality to this team.

Will they go to Madrid or Barca if they eventually come knocking? Well, that's entirely down to FSG isn't it.  Why don't other players at the likes of Chelsea or city ever go to those type of clubs I wonder? Aguero and silva have spent all of their careers at city pretty much. And it's because their owners pay them well and they show ambition with their signings.  Something our owners have never done whether it was hicks n Gillette or even FSG.

Our players don't have to be local and they don't have to be British. Football has moved way past that now.  They just have to be good enough. Henderson, milner, Gini simply aren't good enough to dine at the top table. Fabinho, Keita and fekir are.

But there ARE players out there do you think Robertson is the only one. If the attitude and willingness is there with potential and ability then we can unearth players capable of making the grade comes down to good scouting and the individuals desire to work hard
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 283 
      Reply #968: Jun 01, 2018 11:56:15 pm
      Did Coutinho rob us of number #6?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #969: Jun 02, 2018 09:05:51 am
      But there ARE players out there do you think Robertson is the only one. If the attitude and willingness is there with potential and ability then we can unearth players capable of making the grade comes down to good scouting and the individuals desire to work hard

Or course there are players out there but like I said, it's rare that you find a gem like Robertson or a dele Ali.

And we've gone long enough without a title that we simply don't have the time or patience to trial and test such players.

Football has moved on and the competition is now fierce. Anyone who thinks we can find and sign a squad of robertsons and then challenge domestically and in Europe are naive and living in a fantasy world.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #970: Jun 02, 2018 11:58:47 am

Your thoughts are ....... ?
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #971: Jun 02, 2018 12:53:50 pm

???

Are you suggesting he arranged the hit on Salah?

or did he pay off Karius?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #972: Jun 02, 2018 01:02:27 pm
      ???

Are you suggesting he arranged the hit on Salah?

or did he pay off Karius?

I would be taking a very close look at Karius's bank balance, both mistakes were really weird, firstly why on earth throw out a ball when Benzema is right in front of you and secondly why was Bale taking a potshot from so far away, a shot which 999 times out of 1000 a goalie comfortably catches. I'm not really suggesting that anything untoward did happen but you have to admit there is a possibility and it would fit.
      Kopite78
      Reply #973: Jun 02, 2018 01:05:31 pm
      I would be taking a very close look at Karius's bank balance, both mistakes were really weird, firstly why on earth throw out a ball when Benzema is right in front of you and secondly why was Bale taking a potshot from so far away, a shot which 999 times out of 1000 a goalie comfortably catches. I'm not really suggesting that anything untoward did happen but you have to admit there is a possibility and it would fit.

:lmao: 😂
      rossyred

• 9,242 posts | 1652 
      Reply #974: Jun 02, 2018 01:25:52 pm
      Or course there are players out there but like I said, it's rare that you find a gem like Robertson or a dele Ali.

And we've gone long enough without a title that we simply don't have the time or patience to trial and test such players.

Football has moved on and the competition is now fierce. Anyone who thinks we can find and sign a squad of robertsons and then challenge domestically and in Europe are naive and living in a fantasy world.

I agree but still think a mix of both can be achieved and getting balance is right , even the foreign lads Jürgen demands a certain type of character which is what we need so technically gifted but also a bit of devil like Keita hopefully
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #975: Jun 02, 2018 01:27:25 pm

Blimey.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #976: Jun 02, 2018 01:31:44 pm

I am going with the story he was abducted by Aliens the night before the match and they took his body over but where not very good at being a goalkeeper. Its at least as plausible as your theory.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #977: Jun 02, 2018 01:38:22 pm

Literally zero possibility and it doesn’t fit........

Next 🙄
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #978: Jun 02, 2018 01:58:50 pm
      Well, he should have took money for it. If you're going to do something so stupid that people would pay you to do it...  ;D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #979: Jun 02, 2018 02:47:20 pm

Has the sun got to you mate, that's Riba territory newspeak bullshit right there, may i suggest a ice cold flannel and a lie down in a darkened room ? 🤣

YNWA
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #980: Jun 02, 2018 03:06:15 pm

What symptoms did the doc come back with & is it curable?..
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #981: Jun 02, 2018 06:19:07 pm

Next time instead of typing, do this:

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #982: Jun 02, 2018 06:36:41 pm

That's why it's called a worldie, mate.  :roll:
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #983: Jun 02, 2018 10:55:18 pm
      I still believe at least the spine of the team should made up of British players and I am not a British citizen by saying that. We need to go back to our roots. British players tend to move abroad less and tend to settle down easier than foreign players thus less distractions. That itself stabilises the club and provides sustain challenge. In the 70s and 80s we used to have only a handful of foreign players and we did remarkably well and I'm sure if we scout the country thoroughly from the north to the south we will be able to get these quality British players. Its tiring to have a replay of the Suarez, Torres, Masc etc fisaco time and again when we were on the rise and got deflated time and again. And I'm damn happy that Robertson is doing very well this season, typical Liverpool player - hard running, tackling, no nonsense, 100% commitment on the field. Hopefully, Robertson would be an eye opener to Klopp. I may get flamed here but that's how i sees it.

KD tried that and set Liverpool back five years imo
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #984: Jun 03, 2018 12:38:00 am

Seems harsh but so true.
      Just the mention of Masch and Alonso make you realise how poor our midfield now are !
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #985: Jun 03, 2018 12:52:19 am
      Never forget.....we've conquered all of Europe and were never gonna stop..,.,we will rise again......yes I'm wankered !
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #986: Jun 03, 2018 05:29:00 pm
      Just been reminded that Gerry Byrne played almost all of the 1965 FA Cup Final with  broken collar bone...that's when men where men and if you lost your shirt in that team it was hard to get it back. Shankly said that team was the best team ever...I find that hard to disagree it was incredible.
      Its a reminder that even great teams need time to develop and we have potentially a great team and they can use this game to spur them on to great things
      « Last Edit: Jun 04, 2018 09:09:16 am by waltonl4 »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #987: Jun 04, 2018 10:11:01 am
      the "petition" now stands at 525,000 what or when are they going to do with it. Maybe present it to Ramos and drop it on his foot because that's about the only use it has . I can see UEFA having the shredder all warmed up ready to go as soon as its delivered
      Kopite78
      Reply #988: Jun 04, 2018 10:55:52 am
      Embarrassing that petition

Quick Reply