Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Fabinho Player Thread (M) > Al Ittihad

Read 155445 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Fabinho Player Thread
      Reply #207: Jul 10, 2018 07:19:13 am
      Will wear 3 for today’s game, still no number assigned for the season though so I think he’s definitely waiting for a player to leave.

Here's hoping he wears 22
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #208: Jul 20, 2018 02:03:10 pm
      My job is to convince Kylian Mbappe to join me
      Kylian Mbappe, the world’s most wanted teenager, is as thrilled as Liverpool supporters with Jürgen Klopp’s summer transfer business.

When Fabinho completed a ÂŁ40 million transfer in May, France’s superstar  - a former Monaco teammate  - led the applause.

“Kylian sent me a text message congratulating me on going to Liverpool,” revealed Fabinho.

“I have not had the chance to congratulate him yet on what he did winning the World Cup. What France did was fantastic. What Mbappe did in two years of professional football is amazing. He is a phenomenon and needs to be congratulated. As soon as I have the chance I will.”

The charm offensive will not end there.

“He has already said for the next season he will remain at PSG, but I will try slowly to convince him to come to Liverpool.”

There was a wry smile and laugh from Fabinho when adding that remark so it would be wise for Liverpool fans not to be overly optimistic about his powers of persuasion. That said, north west England is guaranteed a reunion of one of the most exciting French teams of recent years.

Another two member of the majestic Monaco team of 2017 - Bernardo Silva and Benjamin Mendy - are settled at Manchester City. They are in possession of what Fabinho wants – a Premier League winners medal.

“I have been able to get in touch with (Mendy and Silva) and we have spoken quite often. Mainly Bernardo Silva,” he said.

“I told him although we are friends, when we play each other maybe I will be a bit harsh on him! I am pleased they are playing in England and we will be living close by. Off the pitch we are very good friends, but on the pitch is a different story.

“In the past I have never had the chance to play against a team which had a good friend of mine playing for them. But I am sure near to those matches we can exchange some text messages.

“We have a very good team and we will be able to fight for the title. I have just started with my team mates and I understand we have excellent players. We have an excellent manager and a very good group. I understand City are the champions and produced excellent football last season, but we will do our best to get the title from them and make everyone here happy.”

Fabinho has pedigree. He left Sao Paulo in Brazil as a teenager, initially to Portugal but then a year’s loan to Real Madrid. His last five years have been in France, a key part of the Monaco team that reached the Champions League semi-final.

“When I went to Real Madrid I was only 18 or 19 years old. It was my first year as a professional footballer. I was very young,” he explained.

“I had the good luck to have the experience of training with fantastic football players like Cristiano Ronaldo, Ozil, Modric, and I also played for Real Madrid B.

“That was a fantastic experience because it was my first international experience as a football player and taught me a lot as a football player. But now, coming to one of the top clubs in Europe like Liverpool, of course, I will carry on my learning.

“When I became aware of Liverpool’s interest I was very excited. I tried to focus on the end of the season with Monaco, but when you are aware a club of Liverpool’s dimension is interested in your services, obviously it touches you. I tried to play my best for my team, trying to come 2nd in the French league, but obviously you think about it.

“I watched and followed Liverpool last season because the way they played was very exciting – their quick transitions, the counter-attacking, the way they played from the defence to the opposition net, it was fantastic to watch. We have to carry on that way this season.”

A deep playing midfielder, Fabinho will be competing with skipper Jordan Henderson. Henderson’s initial absence – Klopp has confirmed it is unlikely he will feature against West Ham on the opening weekend – gives the new recruit a chance to make an immediate impression.

“Henderson – he did an excellent World Cup,” said Fabinho.

“If he comes later on or not, it doesn't count that much because I will have to apply myself.

“I can play wherever the manager wants. He has already said that he can use me in various positions. Last season when I was at Monaco, when we had the need for me to defend, I used to stay back and my team-mates would attack. If the same thing happens here, I don't mind whether I have to defend or attack. If they need a leg up front, I'm also happy to go up there as well. If they need a leg behind, I'll assist behind.”

Klopp says there will be a period of acclimatisation. A feature of last season was Andy Robertson and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain shining after three months of adjustment.

“You have seen it a little bit with Fabinho that he needs to settle,” said Klopp.

“He’s a little bit too deep between the centre halves. We do it differently to Monaco. You can push him into position but because it’s natural for him moments later he’s again deep. That shows he needs time to adapt to different styles.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/07/19/fabinho-interview-tried-convince-kylian-mbappe-join-liverpool/

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #209: Jul 24, 2018 12:51:20 pm
      Fabinho

Fabio Henrique Tavares, more commonly known as Fabinho, began his youth career with Fluminense in his native Brazil. Despite not making a single appearance in the first team, he moved on to Primeira Liga side Rio Ave, who then immediately loaned him out to Real Madrid Castilla.

After one season with the renowned Real B team, featuring one appearance for Real themselves, he was again loaned out, this time to French side Monaco. After two successful year-long loan spells in the south of France, Fabinho finally confirmed a permanent move in the summer of 2015. Still only 21, he signed a five-year deal with the Monegasques.

In five seasons with Monaco, the Brazilian international – he has won four caps, although missed out on the squad that went to the World Cup this summer – made 225 appearances and scored 29 goals. That represents a decent return from a player who arrived at the club as a right-back; his conversion into a defensive central midfielder by head coach Leonardo Jardim came about after the sale of Geoffrey Kondogbia to Inter Milan. Now 24, he is a versatile operator who brings strength and no little potential to Anfield, where he will be hoping to add to the sole piece of silverware – the 2016/17 Ligue 1 title – he won with Monaco.

Tactical analysis
      Fabinho’s main strength in possession is his ability to turn defence into attack within his first few touches. His direct passing (see above) will suit the forward movements of Mo Salah, Sadio Mane and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, with Liverpool a team that always looks to transition forward quickly. If a direct pass isn’t available, then Fabinho is more than capable of protecting, and will use his tall frame – he stands 6ft 2ins – to shield the ball away from harrying opponents. This will be especially usefully when up against the aggressive counter-pressing midfielders Liverpool will face when playing teams such as Manchester City or Tottenham Hotspur.

Although he isn’t a player with an obvious, consistent weakness, Fabinho isn’t as aggressive when defending set-pieces as one might hope. Despite his size, he is susceptible to decoy runs and losing his marker through well-timed blocking movements inside the penalty area. He should win more of his aerial duels from corners and deeper free-kicks than he does, as he is more than comfortable in the air and is a powerful operator when challenging central midfielders in the air at goal-kicks or passes from deep in the central lane.

Fabinho’s recovery runs might also be improved, especially if he needs to cover a teammate over an increased running distance (below) – despite his elongated stride pattern, he isn’t the quickest when tracking back. He will, however, make up for this with a high ball-winning ratio. He tackles hard and uses his stature to impose himself on opposition midfielders. More often than not, he wins the battle.

Role at new club
      Despite starting out as a right-back, Fabinho was often considered too tall, and thus unable to quickly change direction against small and agile wingers. Therefore, his move to defensive midfield as a traditional number six made sense, especially as it adds extra height to the central lane of the pitch when out of possession. This is ideal in helping to protect the central defence from direct long balls forward – which Fabinho can expect as part of life in the Premier League.

It is highly anticipated that Fabinho will be deployed as the number six at Anfield, just in front of the central defence and behind another new Anfield recruit in the more attack-minded Naby Keita (below). It is a real possibility that head coach JĂźrgen Klopp could soon add more fresh faces to what could be a completely new-look Liverpool central midfield for the new season.

Should Liverpool need full-back cover – most likely for a marauding Trent Alexander-Arnold on the right (above) – then Fabinho is more than capable of providing defensive cover during periods of transition, although he may struggle over long distances.

Additionally, his ability to look and drive forward during deep counter-attacks was integral as Monaco won the French title in 2017. This will no doubt play a part in Liverpool’s tactics under Klopp – particularly in European matches, as they look to quickly transition into attack from their own half. Against lesser sides who might deploy a congested low block, Fabinho can help sustain possession for longer spells, perhaps offering more control under pressure than James Milner or club captain Jordan Henderson.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/premier-league-liverpool-fabinho/

Just come across this site and thought I'd be kind enough to share with you guys :) Pretty much a re-cap of what we know, but very good read from a professional coach perspective if you guys haven't seen Fabinho play yet!

Fabinho’s main strength in possession is his ability to turn defence into attack within his first few touches. His direct passing (see above) will suit the forward movements of Mo Salah, Sadio Mane and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Haven't really seen his much of his direct play yet, I suspect the more confident and comfortable he gets, I reckon we could see some long through balls from him often.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #210: Jul 26, 2018 10:15:16 am
      Looked very slow yesterday makes Can look like Salah.

Hopefully it's a lack of match fitness but a bit worrying.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #211: Jul 26, 2018 11:46:43 am

I agree one of the Citeh players destroyed him for pace in one move but it was towards the end of the half and he looked absolutely spent, he surely can't be that slow normally otherwise its a bit of an issue, especially for a DM. On the other hand I have not noticed him being slow before so I think it was a one-off.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #212: Jul 26, 2018 12:16:11 pm

Noticed that too, imagine it'll be the high intensity training on top of everything else, should be fine by match day one
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #213: Jul 26, 2018 12:38:43 pm
      We probably won't see a quicker Fabinho in the coming season, that's pretty much what we'll get. Once he gets fitter and sharper, he will anticipate/read the opposition attack better, but he is no Hendo in terms of athleticism.

« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2018 12:43:16 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #214: Jul 26, 2018 03:15:31 pm
      We probably won't see a quicker Fabinho in the coming season, that's pretty much what we'll get. Once he gets fitter and sharper, he will anticipate/read the opposition attack better, but he is no Hendo in terms of athleticism.

Not sure of that i bet you Fabinho is quicker than Henderson and especially from a standing start, although if you mean Henderson as a running machine then not many can keep going all game like he does.

Well apart from Jimmy  ;D
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #215: Jul 26, 2018 03:43:58 pm
      Not sure of that i bet you Fabinho is quicker than Henderson and especially from a standing start, although if you mean Henderson as a running machine then not many can keep going all game like he does.

Well apart from Jimmy  ;D

I am actually not sure who is quicker between Hendo and Fabinho tbh, but I think Hendo is stronger and more aggressive and would have used that to his advantage on the City player to slow him down.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #216: Jul 26, 2018 03:45:57 pm
      I am actually not sure who is quicker between Hendo and Fabinho tbh, but I think Hendo is stronger and more aggressive and would have used that to his advantage on the City player to slow him down.

Yeah probably.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #217: Jul 26, 2018 05:56:47 pm

Even VVD looked very very slow for their goal. I think it is down to fitness and intensity of training.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #218: Aug 04, 2018 09:06:43 pm
      I think we have more control of the game with him on the pitch, what do you guys think? Would he be your prefered choice as our 6, or do you guys favour Hendo's aggressiveness and direct play?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #219: Aug 05, 2018 08:47:06 am
      I think we have more control of the game with him on the pitch, what do you guys think? Would he be your prefered choice as our 6, or do you guys favour Hendo's aggressiveness and direct play?

Fab for me, Hendo is too inconsistent and goes missing far too often.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #220: Aug 05, 2018 08:51:14 am

"Hendo's aggressiveness and direct play", sorry but Huh?????

Anyway Fabinho all day long for me although Hendo is also pretty good at the DM type role.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #221: Aug 05, 2018 10:19:03 am
      "Hendo's aggressiveness and direct play", sorry but Huh?????

You don't think he is aggressive via his closing down/pressing? And he does like his long balls too, and does it more often than most DLPM or DM.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #222: Aug 05, 2018 10:29:50 am
      You don't think he is aggressive via his closing down/pressing? And he does like his long balls too, and does it more often than most DLPM or DM.

Those long floating balls irritate me so much, needs to cut that sh*t out.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #223: Aug 05, 2018 10:35:20 am

Not really no, although he is good at pressing. Aggressive is what I'd call someone like Ramos, although I have a few more terms to describe him as well ;-)
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #224: Aug 08, 2018 03:16:18 pm
      He is at it again, but doesn't give an explanation as to why Fabinho has been "poor".

https://twitter.com/IanDoyleSport/status/1026958453057748997

Also been reading comments here and there, and it seems there are some favouring Hendo over Fabinho after per-season performances (especially yesterday's game), and how Fabinho hasn't impressed so far.....I even read one comment complaining about how he played too many short passes and no key balls? Wtf? I am genuinely baffled as I thought he was one of our best players in pre-season.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #225: Aug 08, 2018 03:32:01 pm
      Got the terrible feeling this lad will be the next Lucas...

His job is to break down the opponents play and turn defence into attack via one of hte many creative players we have. He wont be doing Box to Box runs (Keita) or overlapping to get a cross in (TAA & Robinson) or turning defenders (Salah, Mane). He will be doing his job and most of the time not being noticed. If he is noticed during a game its no doubt for the wrong reasons.

As I say, the way 'fans' are going on he will be the next Lucas, I just hope he is a good as him
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #226: Aug 08, 2018 03:56:21 pm
      Got the terrible feeling this lad will be the next Lucas...

His job is to break down the opponents play and turn defence into attack via one of hte many creative players we have. He wont be doing Box to Box runs (Keita) or overlapping to get a cross in (TAA & Robinson) or turning defenders (Salah, Mane). He will be doing his job and most of the time not being noticed. If he is noticed during a game its no doubt for the wrong reasons.

As I say, the way 'fans' are going on he will be the next Lucas, I just hope he is a good as him

Because one journalist doesn't like him? I have only read positive comments about him so far and what I have seen has been extremely positive, he is a big upgrade on Henderson and Can at DM
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #227: Aug 08, 2018 06:29:57 pm
      I like him!
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #228: Aug 08, 2018 06:49:44 pm
      I'm still on the fence about Fabinho.  On the one hand, he has all of the physical attributes to be a great CDM -- he is tall, strong, athletic, and powerful.  I see similarities to the way Patrick Viera used to play -- he uses his size and strength to dominate the area in front of the back 4 and his forward passing and distribution from a deep position is pretty solid.  He's put in some some really promising displays in preseason and he will likely be a very good player for us. 

On the other hand, I have noticed on more than 1 occasion that his 1st touch can let him down a bit.  I have also seen a few times where he is caught by surprise by a defender closing him down quickly, and he has been guilty of playing a little too slowly (almost lethargic) at times.  Hopefully all of these issues are just a result of heavy legs from an intense preseason schedule... but if he goes into games in the Prem and his touch is letting him down or he gets caught dawdling on the ball, he wil struggle. 

I have a feeling he will be a huge success for us.  There is just that bit of concern over whether he will be able to adapt to the speed of the Prem.  If he can quickly come to terms with that, he will be boss. 
      « Last Edit: Aug 09, 2018 01:45:26 am by harrydunn08 »
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #229: Aug 08, 2018 10:25:29 pm
      People need to calm their tits and realize it's pre-F***ing-season. He will be a stud but needs a little time to settle in and learn our way of playing. This isn't FIFA 18 where he comes in and first game he dominates for your team.

Quick Reply