Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Emre Can, now a free agent (to Juventus)

Read 20287 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Emre Can, now a free agent (to Juventus)
      Jun 01, 2018 09:00:13 pm
      Come on, we at least need a transfer thread.

Apparently Juventus are interested in signing Can on a free,   :f_whistle:

Just to tick the boxes, here's the link. http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12961/11390027/juventus-confident-of-signing-emre-can-from-liverpool-this-week
      « Last Edit: Jun 13, 2018 04:22:30 pm by racerx34 »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Emre Can (to Juventus}
      Reply #1: Jun 01, 2018 09:07:58 pm
      If anyone can Juve can
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Re: Emre Can (to Juventus)
      Reply #2: Jun 01, 2018 10:22:37 pm
      Not really fussed about him to be honest.

He had a chance to be part of what's shaping to be a special squad but for some reason doesn't want to.

The slower pace in Italy will suit his football more anyway. 

This could be the last thread to put your can puns in...
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #3: Jun 01, 2018 11:12:55 pm
      I'm thinking with the way things were developing, he maybe saw that he wouldn't get too much game time. The stronger the players we targeted, perhaps the more he thought he'd be on the bench more often than not. Probably got more chance of game time at Juventus.
      Can think of no other reason why anyone would not want to be part of this revolution.

Only my opinion of course.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4: Jun 01, 2018 11:43:50 pm
      I'm thinking with the way things were developing, he maybe saw that he wouldn't get too much game time. The stronger the players we targeted, perhaps the more he thought he'd be on the bench more often than not. Probably got more chance of game time at Juventus.
      Can think of no other reason why anyone would not want to be part of this revolution.

I think this is at least a big part of his thinking.

He did make some comments in an article on discrimination/bigotry that made it seem like he is not enamored with life in UK.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #5: Jun 02, 2018 12:12:07 am
      I think this is at least a big part of his thinking.

He did make some comments in an article on discrimination/bigotry that made it seem like he is not enamored with life in UK.

And Italy is much better regarding racism/ bigotry?
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #6: Jun 02, 2018 03:06:44 am

Klopp plays him at CDM most of the time. If Fabinho performs, he'll be the starting guy in that position and Can will rotate with him and two CM spots that are going to be disputed by Ox, Keita and potentially Fekir. Lots of competition.

Keita is hopefully going to cement his position as a starting guy really quickly. Ox IMO has qualities that Can do not have like speed and what seems to be an improving rocket right foot.

All in all, I think him worrying for his playing time is justified, but when you think of it, nobody plays as many games as a PL club in the CL. The amount of games is insane and injuries are too. Add to this the fact that we play a brand of football that requires a lot of rotation and rest because of the running and constant pressing. If he stays he would clearly have fewer minutes than this season, but he would still have a decent amount and a chance to fight for a spot.

I'm thinking maybe the wage Juventus can offer his also probably higher than what we can afford to give him.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #7: Jun 02, 2018 06:30:09 am
      This could've gone into the player thread but nevertheless, not really fussed.. we already have a better player. There were reports that he saw himself as #6 but Jürgen saw him as #8 for a couple of reasons.

But we have a superior #6 now, kinda letting him know who is the boss!

Emre, thanks for the Watford goal and a few other winners. Good luck at Juve and hope you become what you think you are!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #8: Jun 02, 2018 09:16:58 am
      Wanted to upgrade on Can for a very long time. Very average on the ball and his energy and work rate (along with our other midfielders) isn't enough to seriously challenge for honours.

His best performances came from when we briefly played a back three and Can slotted in at rcb. He was immense then but as a midfielder he is basic to say the least. I think that if he has a long and lengthy career at juve then he will eventually become a full back or a right wing back. He isn't good enough to play in midfield at that level. My gut feeling says he will flop at juve and return to Leverkusen or a club similar stature where he is the big fish in a small pond.

Good luck to him. He's no loss to us. We've got Fabinho and Keita who are both better footballers and who are more likely to take us to the next level.

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #9: Jun 02, 2018 02:09:23 pm
      Wanted to upgrade on Can for a very long time. Very average on the ball and his energy and work rate (along with our other midfielders) isn't enough to seriously challenge for honours.

His best performances came from when we briefly played a back three and Can slotted in at rcb. He was immense then but as a midfielder he is basic to say the least. I think that if he has a long and lengthy career at juve then he will eventually become a full back or a right wing back. He isn't good enough to play in midfield at that level. My gut feeling says he will flop at juve and return to Leverkusen or a club similar stature where he is the big fish in a small pond.

Good luck to him. He's no loss to us. We've got Fabinho and Keita who are both better footballers and who are more likely to take us to the next level.

Far better option than Henderson and Wijnaldum the Italian league will suit him think he has attributes to become a very good player
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #10: Jun 02, 2018 02:53:12 pm
      Far better option than Henderson and Wijnaldum the Italian league will suit him think he has attributes to become a very good player

Agree on Henderson. Disagree on Wijnaldum. Wijnaldum is inconsistent but when he turns up he is head and shoulders above can.

Interesting that you say 'become' a very good player though, which suggests you don't think he is currently?

Can will never be an elite player. Not as a centre midfielder anyway. He isn't good enough on the ball.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #11: Jun 02, 2018 03:13:43 pm
      Agree on Henderson. Disagree on Wijnaldum. Wijnaldum is inconsistent but when he turns up he is head and shoulders above can.

Interesting that you say 'become' a very good player though, which suggests you don't think he is currently?

Can will never be an elite player. Not as a centre midfielder anyway. He isn't good enough on the ball.

I'm afraid Wijnaldum does not show up enough and against deep lying teams he is a hindrance more than a threat. In regards to Can I think he is a good player and could become very good there is a difference like you say needs to improve his passing but sure that will come
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #12: Jun 02, 2018 03:48:55 pm
      I'm afraid Wijnaldum does not show up enough and against deep lying teams he is a hindrance more than a threat. In regards to Can I think he is a good player and could become very good there is a difference like you say needs to improve his passing but sure that will come

So has Can been turning up for us on a regular basis then, and you still think he is good, I'm quite baffled now!

He is bang average and I'm bemused why Juventus want him although the slower Italian league will probably suit him better than the Prem did.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #13: Jun 02, 2018 08:01:46 pm
      As we don’t miss Couts, I’m sure we won’t miss Can.
      Bang average, with a motm performance possibly twice a season.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #14: Jun 02, 2018 08:13:37 pm
      As we don’t miss Couts, I’m sure we won’t miss Can.
      Bang average, with a motm performance possibly twice a season.

I agree. He could pull out the odd excellent performance here and there but not enough to excuse some truly dreadful displays he's been culpable of. That awful 2-2 draw with Moyes's Sunderland in New Year 2017 was a perfect example - I remember being absolutely fuming with his display where he gave away needless free kicks all over and misplaced countless balls out for corners and throw ins under no pressure whatsoever that helped culminate in them scoring two goals. Genuinely one of the worst individual midfield displays for Liverpool I've ever seen.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #15: Jun 02, 2018 08:15:05 pm

Wijnaldum is too inconsistent to be in our 11 now I agree. I feel like he's had his chance but he has gone missing far too often.  That said, he is a very good pass and move footballer and he has a football brain on him. Technically, he is far better than Emre Can and if I had to choose between the pair of them to be in our squad then it'd be Gini all day.

We will have to wait and see what happens with Can but as I say, I predict he won't last very long as a central midfielder for another European giant. He just isn't good enough and we should have been looking to upgrade on him even if he stayed.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #16: Jun 02, 2018 09:27:30 pm
      In regards to Can I think he is a good player and could become very good there is a difference like you say needs to improve his passing but sure that will come

At getting on for 25, his passing should be at a much better level than what it is now.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #17: Jun 02, 2018 10:19:07 pm
      At getting on for 25, his passing should be at a much better level than what it is now.

He doesn't read the game well enough for a CM, he turns like a Panzer, and his passing is average at best.  He also gets caught dawdling on the ball, frequently miscontrols passes, and gives away too many free kicks.  He is capable of producing some of the most amazing moments you'll ever see, but those infrequent moments of genius aren't enough to make up for his inconsistency....

Bye  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #18: Jun 02, 2018 11:55:40 pm
      At this stage I'd rather he just F**k off so its over and done with. If he doesn't want to be here, make room for someone who does.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: Jun 03, 2018 03:19:11 am
      And Italy is much better regarding racism/ bigotry?

And the Mafia.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #20: Jun 08, 2018 05:01:03 pm
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #21: Jun 10, 2018 11:03:38 am

Right decision to get both out but it's poor that they're leaving for nothing.

Could have got a couple of mil for flanno and we should have been selling Can for 20-25m
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #22: Jun 13, 2018 04:11:56 pm
      Can't believe he still hasn't signed.

Imagine the fury on here if we took that long to sign up a free transfer. ;D

Quick Reply