Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Seasonal Reflections

Read 9358 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Seasonal Reflections
      Jun 03, 2018 11:59:20 pm
      With the 2017/18 season over, and the long break ahead, here's a thread to look back at some of the highlights of the season.

Goal Of The Season

There were so many to choose from that it's hard to narrow them down to just one. So I have put forward two categories: Team and Individual.

Team Goal Of The Season

There were probably more important goals this season, but my pick for it would be Phillippe Coutinho for 2-0 v Spartak Moscow in the European Cup. The movement and link up play involving all of the Fab Four in the move leading to Coutinho's finish was world class.

Individual Goal Of The Season

Again, it was hard to narrow it down to one, but I chose Mohammad Salah for 4-1 v City in the league. It probably looks easy on TV, but the skill to control the ball like he did was fantastic and the finish from 40 yards was perfect. It turned out to be the winning goal, and meant we have won our last 5 home games v City in the league.

Signing Of The Season

Salah has the awards, and they're richly deserved. But even when he had an off day, others could step up. So I'm going to give it to Van Dijk. He only had half a season, but slotted in seamlessly and fixed a problem that was costing us far too often. With his full summer break and a full pre season ahead of him to come, he will only improve and we will achieve the consistency we need, with him leading the backline and us keeping more clean clean sheets.

Game Of The Season

From a personal pov, there was only one candidate, mainly as it was the only game I was at, the first game I was in the Kop for, and the closest to a night game I have had in the stadium. So it's the 5-0 win v Swansea, with TAA and Ox's first league goals at home. We had drawn our previous 3 home games, so we feared another frustrating day against the busparkers. Coutinho's last goal at home after 6 minutes from 30 yards, set up the rest of the day, while the second just after half time, opened the floodgates. It was an off day for Salah but he still set up the fourth for Firmino. It could honestly have been 10 in the end.

With our European Cup status retained and reputation enhanced, the season should be judged as a success. Halfway through the 4 year project, there is still more work to do, and much more success to come.
      « Last Edit: Jun 04, 2018 12:32:23 am by lfc across the water »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Seasonal Reflections
      Reply #1: Jun 04, 2018 01:27:49 pm
      Goal Of The Season
      Team Goal Of The Season
      Signing Of The Season
      Game Of The Season

Coutinho vs Newcastle (A)
      Mane vs Newcastle (H)
      Salah vs Newcastle (H)
      Salah (For scoring against Newcastle)
      Liverpool vs Newcastle (2-0 win)
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #2: Jun 04, 2018 01:47:50 pm
      Team goal would surely be Can’s second against Hoffenheim.

Individual goal hard to narrow down to one but Mane’s volley against Spartak Moscow and Salah’s mazy runs vs Watford and Spurs got to be up there.

Favourite games were the first leg demolition of City (for obvious reasons) and the 2-2 against Spurs at Anfield (because I was there).
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #3: Jun 04, 2018 04:54:07 pm
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #4: Jun 04, 2018 10:01:01 pm

My parents used to get me to sing this at family parties when I was a kid.

Dunno why.

Probably some sort of cult.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #5: Jun 04, 2018 10:43:36 pm
      How can you expect to have anyone take this thread seriously when you don't give signing of the season to Mo Salah.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #6: Jun 04, 2018 11:38:08 pm
      I've only read the title. I think I'm a winter burgeoning into early spring.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #7: Jun 05, 2018 09:16:34 am
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #8: Jun 05, 2018 04:22:16 pm
      Team Goal of the Season: Emre Can V Hoffenhaim
      Individual Goal of the Season: A couple of the 3 scored by Mo against Watford
      Signing of the Season: Mo
      Game of the Season: Liverpool 5-2 Roma
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #9: Jun 05, 2018 07:50:25 pm
      Quote from Magillionare
      How can you expect to have anyone take this thread seriously when you don't give signing of the season to Mo Salah.

We've never had any trouble scoring goals. Since VVD made his league debut, we have kept 8 clean sheets, and conceded just 2 goals from corners. Most players take time to settle at a new club. He settled immediately and made a massive difference. Opponents are not putting 3 4 and 5 goals past us as they were in the first half of the season. And it's doubtful if we would have made the top 4 without him.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #10: Jun 05, 2018 08:21:26 pm
      Goal of the season: Salah against City in Champions League (Away)
      Team Goal of the Season: AOC V City Champions League (home)
      Individual Goal of the Season: Salah against Spurs at home.
      Signing of the Season: Salah!
      Game of the Season: Liverpool 4-0 City in Champions League.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #11: Jun 05, 2018 09:37:15 pm
      We've never had any trouble scoring goals. Since VVD made his league debut, we have kept 8 clean sheets, and conceded just 2 goals from corners. Most players take time to settle at a new club. He settled immediately and made a massive difference. Opponents are not putting 3 4 and 5 goals past us as they were in the first half of the season. And it's doubtful if we would have made the top 4 without him.

Player of the season for PL
      Top scorer
      Most goals in modern day top English league ever
      Not good enough for Liverpool signing of the season

You’re being contrarian to seem clever but your just being obtuse. Take Salah out we are a lot worse off than if you took VvD out.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #12: Jun 06, 2018 09:35:12 am
      We had some incredible moments in the season shame it finished in being mugged in Kiev.
      What is important about this season is we learn some lessons and improve for next season with what is looking like a stunning midfield.
      We have a good back 4 and a stunning front 3 we could score even more goals next season and concede fewer so 2017/18 is over and 2018/19 is going to be even better
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #13: Jun 06, 2018 12:40:37 pm
      Goal of the season: Salah against City in Champions League (Away)
      Team Goal of the Season: AOC V City Champions League (home)
      Individual Goal of the Season: Salah against Spurs at home.
      Signing of the Season: Salah!
      Game of the Season: Liverpool 4-0 City in Champions League.

Who scored our 4th?  :f_whistle:
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #14: Jun 06, 2018 12:50:28 pm

Oops but still I loved that game.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #15: Jun 06, 2018 12:52:58 pm
      Team goal would surely be Can’s second against Hoffenheim.

Individual goal hard to narrow down to one but Mane’s volley against Spartak Moscow and Salah’s mazy runs vs Watford and Spurs got to be up there.

Favourite games were the first leg demolition of City (for obvious reasons) and the 2-2 against Spurs at Anfield (because I was there).

Yes on that team goal. The movement off the ball, Mane's flair and Firmino's industry.

Have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hY9-zSDE-4
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #16: Jun 06, 2018 01:44:41 pm
      Team goal - Can v Hoffenheim, a thing of beauty that was.
      Individual goal - Mane v Spartak, absolutely incredible technique to get that in (his goal v Burnley a close second)
      Signing - Mo by a mile.
      Performance - 3-0 v City. Stunning first half from the attackers and then equally good from the defenders in the second half. Everyone got a chance to shine which is why it's my number one.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #17: Jun 07, 2018 05:02:58 pm
      Quote from clint_call01
      Oops but still I loved that game.

We scored so many goals against them this season, that you can excuse someone getting carried away. One pundit said, there were so many goals scored in the semi final, you needed calculators to work out what the actual score was.

Next week, the fixture list is released at 8am GMT. Hopefully we can get a set of fixtures that allow us to start well, so we're ready to deal with the bigger ones. We took 10 points from the 10 games against the rest of the top 6 last year, with 9 of those points at home. We really need to improve on that next season.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #18: Oct 13, 2018 05:02:29 pm
      Time to take stock after 8 games, and post how much progress has been made to between last season LS and the current season CS, the difference, and the points swing since the end of last season.

---------------------------- LS - CS
      Games Played ----- 8 --- 8 --- 0
      Games Won -------- 3 ---- 6 -- +3
      Points Taken ----- 13 -- 20 -- +7
      Goals Scored ----- 13 - 15 --- +2
      Goals Against ---- 12 --- 3 ---- -9
      Goal Difference --  1-- 12 -- +11
      Clean Sheets ------ 3 ---- 5 --- +2

In all aspects, we've improved.

Points Swing Update:

Chelsea -- -5
      Spurs ----- +4
      mancs -- +13
      Man City +25

Again, big margins have been reined in. A handful of posters put it down to "luck", I put it down to, a team and coach that means business this season.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #19: Oct 13, 2018 05:18:11 pm
      Saw the title of this thread and though 'and Christmas can F**k off as well'
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #20: Oct 13, 2018 08:23:51 pm
      Saw the title of this thread and though 'and Christmas can F**k off as well'

I saw the title and thought it was somehow the end of May already.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #21: Dec 28, 2018 11:58:47 pm
      With half the season gone, things have continued to improve, and after winning the last 8 games, we're well clear at the top. So how is it compared to the same point last season.

…......................... LS... CS
      Games Played....19....19.....  0
      Games Won........10... 16.... +6
      Points Taken.......35... 51.. +16
      Goals Scored......41... 43....  +2
      Goals Against.....23..... 7.... -16
      Goal Difference+18.. +36.. +18
      Clean Sheets....... 8.... 12....  +4

Points Swing Update (Full Season)

Chelsea +6
      Spurs.... +7
      mancs.+25
      City...... +31

While the defending has dramatically improved, I thought there would be a bigger gap in the amount of goals scored. So if we can match last year's final tally of 84, we should win most of the remaining games, and have a party on 12 May.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #22: Jun 17, 2019 10:51:54 pm
      Another league season, and another dramatic improvement, with 6 wins from our first 6 games, and 60 points from 60  against the bottom half of the table, helping to shatter our club points records for the season. Some of the highlights were:

Goals Of The Season

With 89 goals scored, there were too many specials to find just one. So here are 3 of each.

Team Goal Of The Season

v Cardiff (h): 3-1 up, and a brilliant counter attack started in our own half, sees Salah put Mane through to put us 3 goals clear on the day and 3 points clear in the league.

v Fulham (h): 40 minutes gone and we're struggling to break a stubborn opposition down. The game is at 12pm on Sunday, and the atmosphere is flat as a pancake. In the space of 15 seconds though, everyone wakes up. First, an opposition attempt is offside. While they wander around feeling sorry for themselves, VVD tells Allison it doesn't count, while he in turn finds TAA who puts Salah through to finish it off. We're back on top and their  coach is swiftly fired.

v Southampton (a): With the neutrals counting the time down for the slip up to hand City the league they predicted since pre-season, we had to dig deep and recover from a difficult start to dig out another 3 points. With 15 minutes to go, Hendo and Mane set up Salah to go on a 40 yard run and score his first goal in 2 months. We take the lead, win the game, are back on top, and secure a top 4 spot.

v Chelsea (a): There's 2 minutes left, and Sturridge makes his main contribution to the season to get us a point, the least we deserved. After the game, Sky asked if England should call him up again. Instead, he did well to play for us again, but in a run of 3 winless games, this was a point gained rather than two lost.

v Arsenal (h): A lively start to the second round of games sees the game 1-1 after 15 minutes. Firmino picks up the ball, and leaves 4 opponents on their backsides to put us in front, and on the way to put us 9 points clear with 54 points from a possible 60.

v Watford (h): Sandwiched between the  local away trips, this one looked like a long night. Instead, it was a walkover. 20 minutes in and it's done and dusted, after Mane scores with an outrageous back heel to keep us top. To try it was ambitious, to get the power needed to get it over the keeper and find the net was astonishing.

Signing Of The Season

It has to be Allison, who like VVD before him, makes the fee we forked out for him look loose change. Ever present throughout, the 10 goals conceded at home all season, helped us be the tightest defence in the league and allowed him to pick up the Golden Glove. That creates a new category.

Save Of The Season

Like the goals, it's hard, very hard to narrow it down to 1. But I have. The injury time save at Burnley was stupendous, with the ball destined for the top corner, 2 points dropped on a wet Wednesday night at Burnley, 4 points behind in the title race, and headlines on this forum, mainly driven by Panzer Reid Rib and Ireland. Instead, Allison plucked it out of the top corner and set up our third goal for us to win 3-1. By the weekend, we were top by 1 point and we all had a Happy Christmas.

Game Of The Season

From a personal pov, there was only one candidate, mainly as it was the only game I was at, my first ever night game at Anfield. So it's the 5-0 win v Huddersfield, where it took just 15 seconds to win the game, give us an easy night to enjoy, and go back on top of the league.

Other great games; the games at home to Everton and Spurs were great results after 90 minutes of tension. But the win over the mancs was our first win over them in the league in 5 years, and long overdue. We took 13 points from our big 6 home league games, and 19 points overall from 30.

We collected 37 results and 97 points, comfortably making the top 4, are now unbeaten at home in 40 games, and are European Champions, so there is a lot to be happy about. Next year is the 4th year of the 4 year project, and we now have the platform to match and better this year's records, to deliver the title Jürgen told us would happen, on Day 1.

Quick Reply