Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City)

Read 68663 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City)
      Reply #207: Jun 23, 2018 12:07:08 pm
      Do you ever get the sense of things flying over your head?

You aren’t an owner of the club, so why one earth you would get so excited about selling a player on down the line is beyond me.

At ÂŁ12m and assuming the wages are not to insane I really don't see much of a downside here...

Yes. Yet I've been criticised before. It's still a yes based on Moneyball. Buy to sell at a higher value. ÂŁ12m is really a no brainier. We could finance some transfers or recoup those fully depreciated Emre Can and Mario Ballotelli.

I'll have a go at Moneyball again. We could sell Ings for a profit. Or even Milly. ÂŁ12m is an easy arbitrage. We should go for it.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #208: Jun 23, 2018 12:07:21 pm
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #209: Jun 23, 2018 03:27:41 pm
      Not for me, however considering his experience he'd be a good option from the bench but that's not enough to spunk ÂŁ12m on, I'd rather we promote from the ressies and use the supposed ÂŁ12m to reinforce the payroll of a marquee signing,
      Each season we progress to another level so it makes sense to look after investments financially, ÂŁ12m would go a long way in the accounts department ?

Signing Shakiri would imo be like a Rogers type addition, decent but not quite good enough!!

YNWA
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #210: Jun 23, 2018 05:54:38 pm
      Signing Shakiri would imo be like a Rogers type addition, decent but not quite good enough!!

Difference is Rodgers was doing it in expectation of having those players first XI
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #211: Jun 25, 2018 10:15:03 am
      Difference is Rodgers was doing it in expectation of having those players first XI

Not to mention that Rodgers wasn’t even capable of getting this deal done when we were after him before.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #212: Jun 26, 2018 02:37:00 pm
      An early-reign FSG signing if I ever saw one
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #213: Jun 26, 2018 03:45:26 pm

Which is why I don't think it will happen.

At least I'm  hoping it doesn't.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #214: Jun 26, 2018 05:16:54 pm

Not really, he’s a lot better than the likes of Charlie Adam, Hendo at that time, Downing etc.

There’s plenty of quality there to be a good signing, it’s just getting that consistency and work rate out of him which will be the challenge.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #215: Jun 26, 2018 05:29:52 pm
      Not really, he’s a lot better than the likes of Charlie Adam, Hendo at that time, Downing etc.

There’s plenty of quality there to be a good signing, it’s just getting that consistency and work rate out of him which will be the challenge.

Oh God, I remember being so hyped we signed the Scottish Alonso, but few months in, I was left scratching my head as to why we signed him!

As for Shaqiri, he would be an upgrade over Ings even if it's the Stoke version, but I think Klopp will sort his work rate out, and with better players around him, hopefully we will see some consistency.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #216: Jun 26, 2018 05:41:20 pm
      Which is why I don't think it will happen.

At least I'm  hoping it doesn't.

It will happen.

And he'll turn out a decent squad player.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #217: Jun 26, 2018 05:59:18 pm
      Oh God, I remember being so hyped we signed the Scottish Alonso, but few months in, I was left scratching my head as to why we signed him!

As for Shaqiri, he would be an upgrade over Ings even if it's the Stoke version, but I think Klopp will sort his work rate out, and with better players around him, hopefully we will see some consistency.

I was never happy with the Adam signing, still don’t understand it to this day.

Way I see it with Shaqiri is that the market the way it is now, you won’t pick up a player who has the potential to be a match winner on his day, for such a low fee. Baring in mind we were paying 20 for Downing, Hendo, Allen etc at one point, before the market went this crazy, it’s a low risk transfer I’d be happy to see us make. Especially if it allows the funds to then strengthen the team further. Sign Shaqiri without the release clause and a team is looking at best part of 25-30mill.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #218: Jun 26, 2018 06:07:28 pm
      It will happen.

And he'll turn out a decent squad player.
      I wonder if teams like Barcelona and Real buy players with the idea of them being “good squad players”?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #219: Jun 26, 2018 06:12:12 pm
      I wonder if teams like Barcelona and Real buy players with the idea of them being “good squad players”?

absolutely not and clearly neither should we " squad player" should be reserved for young players coming through
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #220: Jun 26, 2018 06:43:02 pm
      I'm of the mind that if Fekir happens Shaquri will happen...if not then I think were going a different direction.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #221: Jun 26, 2018 07:12:05 pm

Of course they do -- Cillisen, Digne, Vermaelen, Alcacer, and Vidal.  All of these players were bought to be backups or "squad players"
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #222: Jun 26, 2018 07:37:29 pm
      absolutely not and clearly neither should we " squad player" should be reserved for young players coming through

Except people then moan it’s a load of youngsters who arent ready and we need to sign players to provide reliable cover to come off the bench and make an impact. Only have to look at recent years when people have moaned that we don’t have enough quality on the bench. If the youngsters were good enough, they’d be given the chance but clearly they aren’t because Klopp isn’t like Jose, if the youngster is good enough, he will play, look at TAA.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #223: Jun 27, 2018 06:17:17 am
      Yes not the big name signing we all want to see so I can understand little bit of disappointing but I think he would be worth punt, for that low a price and what he could potentially offer in it could be a shrewd move on our part.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #224: Jun 27, 2018 10:56:56 am
      Except people then moan it’s a load of youngsters who arent ready and we need to sign players to provide reliable cover to come off the bench and make an impact. Only have to look at recent years when people have moaned that we don’t have enough quality on the bench. If the youngsters were good enough, they’d be given the chance but clearly they aren’t because Klopp isn’t like Jose, if the youngster is good enough, he will play, look at TAA.

It's small club mentality to think we don't need quality players on the bench only young lads. Next season we will have only Gomez and Brewster on the bench as i don't think the rest of the youngsters are ready or good enough. We need players of Shaqiri's quality on the bench if we're to win anything.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #225: Jun 27, 2018 10:58:23 am
      It's small club mentality to think we don't need quality players on the bench only young lads. Next season we will have only Gomez and Brewster on the bench as i don't think the rest of the youngsters are ready or good enough. We need players of Shaqiri's quality on the bench if we're to win anything.

Wilson ?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #226: Jun 27, 2018 11:00:11 am

Still big question marks if he's good enough.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #227: Jun 27, 2018 11:12:28 am
      Still big question marks if he's good enough.

Deserves it more than Brewster full International and done it in Championship
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #228: Jun 27, 2018 03:52:45 pm
      we are not talking about quality players on the bench we are talking about bang avg players who are squad fillers. Over the course of a 55 or 60 game season how many times would Shaqiri be useful to us. The point is squad players no quality players who find them on the bench yes or young lads who are tipped to make the move up. We shouldn't have any players over the age of 21 or 22 who are AVERAGE.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #229: Jun 27, 2018 04:02:24 pm
      we are not talking about quality players on the bench we are talking about bang avg players who are squad fillers. Over the course of a 55 or 60 game season how many times would Shaqiri be useful to us. The point is squad players no quality players who find them on the bench yes or young lads who are tipped to make the move up. We shouldn't have any players over the age of 21 or 22 who are AVERAGE.

I agree but Shaquiri is NOT average, when motivated he is a very good player and if there is one man I think could get him motivated then its JĂźrgen. If he can't then who cares, we sell him on for no significant loss next summer. This really is a no brainer.

Quick Reply