Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City)

Read 69565 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,804 posts | 1399 
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City)
      Reply #230: Jun 28, 2018 02:06:37 am
      I agree but Shaquiri is NOT average, when motivated he is a very good player and if there is one man I think could get him motivated then its JĆ¼rgen. If he can't then who cares, we sell him on for no significant loss next summer. This really is a no brainer.

But this is a season we need to compete for major trophies so do not have the luxury of saying "if Shaqiri still plays like he doesn't give a sh*t we just sell him next summer".

Biggest gap with City is they can bring Aguero off the bench and there's no drop off in quality in the front 3. Shaqiri would still be too big a drop off from Mane-Firmino-Salah and would prefer we aim higher. Only reason i'd be OK with the move is because it'd have JĆ¼rgen's seal of approval.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,149 posts | 1090 
      Reply #231: Jun 28, 2018 03:09:18 am
      U can slice it anyway u want to, in the end the difference in Cityā€™s subs and ours is money. We arenā€™t going to be pay stupid money for a guy who will come in with 30-10 minutes to go. We donā€™t even pay stupid money for the front 3. However, if you do your homework in the scouting department and have awesome coaching you can compete and win with moves like Robertson and Salah. (How many of yā€™all were high on those signings?)

You can bolster your attack with the likes of a Shaquri. If Klopp is for this move and it happens than he sees potential and quality in him and will coach him up to be better. For the money u canā€™t beat this move, you really canā€™t.

P.S: Complain about ā€œthe moneyā€ all u want, but it makes the football world go round.
      « Last Edit: Jun 28, 2018 04:39:10 am by Breeding-Reds-In-The-434 »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #232: Jun 28, 2018 11:07:37 am
      But this is a season we need to compete for major trophies so do not have the luxury of saying "if Shaqiri still plays like he doesn't give a sh*t we just sell him next summer".

Biggest gap with City is they can bring Aguero off the bench and there's no drop off in quality in the front 3. Shaqiri would still be too big a drop off from Mane-Firmino-Salah and would prefer we aim higher. Only reason i'd be OK with the move is because it'd have JĆ¼rgen's seal of approval.

But you make the assumption that Shaquiri would be instead of a big name player, he wouldn't, he'd be in addition to one, to give the squad more depth, on that basis would you be happy or would you still moan?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #233: Jun 28, 2018 07:54:22 pm

Biggest gap with City is that they have a lot more financial muscle than us. They have the money to be able to sign a squad of players that allow them to be benching Aguero, JesĆŗs, Bernardo and whoever else. We donā€™t. No point even trying to compare us with City and who they can or canā€™t bring off the bench, their in aleague if their own in that aspect.
      CT_LFC

• 6,804 posts | 1399 
      Reply #234: Jun 29, 2018 02:37:40 am
      Biggest gap with City is that they have a lot more financial muscle than us. They have the money to be able to sign a squad of players that allow them to be benching Aguero, JesĆŗs, Bernardo and whoever else. We donā€™t. No point even trying to compare us with City and who they can or canā€™t bring off the bench, their in aleague if their own in that aspect.

Yes, they are totally in a different league financially, but that does not mean we cannot compete with them, we just have to be more careful on where we put our money as we don't have the margin for error they do. In our current front 3, as good as front 3 as there is in world football, the most expensive was Salah at around 45M, so quality can be had for a reasonable number and i don't see a reason why we shouldn't get that other top forward / winger to provide depth to the front 3.

Right now we are every bit as good as them in defense (we all saw how weak they are when teams actually attack them) and with the additions of Keita and Fabinho i think we are also as good in midfield, both in starting quality and depth, with the only gap being the difference in quality between Aguero-Solanke, who as of today is probably the first one off the bench for us when one of Salah/Firmino/Mane can't go.

As i said at the beginning, where we can't compete with City is in the margin for error. As porous as their defense is, they have spent absurd money on it, at well over 200M for Laporte, Mendy, Walker, Stones and Otamendi trying to find the right combination. We cannot do that. They can spend 16M on Nolito one summer, say "eh, we don't really like him anymore" and take a 10M loss on him the next summer. Or pay 16M for Bravo, see he sux, and spend 36M on his replacement the following summer. Those are certainly luxuries they have that few do, but we can def spend on that extra forward / winger and if we learn how to break down defenses like they do, there is no reason we cannot challenge them for the title next season.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,681 posts | 3702 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #235: Jun 29, 2018 07:21:37 am
      U can slice it anyway u want to, in the end the difference in Cityā€™s subs and ours is money. We arenā€™t going to be pay stupid money for a guy who will come in with 30-10 minutes to go. We donā€™t even pay stupid money for the front 3. However, if you do your homework in the scouting department and have awesome coaching you can compete and win with moves like Robertson and Salah. (How many of yā€™all were high on those signings?)

You can bolster your attack with the likes of a Shaquri. If Klopp is for this move and it happens than he sees potential and quality in him and will coach him up to be better. For the money u canā€™t beat this move, you really canā€™t.

P.S: Complain about ā€œthe moneyā€ all u want, but it makes the football world go round.

I'm with him on this totally! Plus, I really like Shaqiri. Klopp just need to motivate him, talent is there.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #236: Jun 30, 2018 04:20:27 pm
      absolutely not and clearly neither should we " squad player" should be reserved for young players coming through

Exactly. Or at least an experienced player on par with your starter. But Shaqiri was clearly not up to Guardiola's intensity at Bayern. What makes people think he can handle the higher intensity of the Liverpool press? Or are we just happy to carry that as a team now, or pay players that much to last only half a game?

Young players doesn't have to mean grossly inexperienced, as some imply. There are U23s out there who have played 2-4 solid seasons of football in top (or at least solid) first leagues. Young players under 20 mil. Young players under 40 mil. But to pay Shaqiri more than some of our starters like Robbo and TAA is unacceptable in my eyes.

Not to mention, Shaqiri should be looking for a move to a mid table team where he might get paid well while still possibly being one of the stars. Like a West Ham with Arnautovic haha
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #237: Jul 02, 2018 09:22:40 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,161 posts | 4902 
      Reply #238: Jul 02, 2018 09:36:52 pm
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #239: Jul 02, 2018 10:33:45 pm
      Maybe that's something JĆ¼rgen has noticed on him.
      Maybe many of us have noticed it and see him as good squad addition, also.
      Donā€™t understand some of the crap analysis he has received on this forum.
      He is a damn good player and for that release clause price, it is 100% worth taking a punt.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #240: Jul 02, 2018 10:48:46 pm
      Maybe many of us have noticed it and see him as good squad addition, also.
      Donā€™t understand some of the crap analysis he has received on this forum.
      He is a damn good player and for that release clause price, it is 100% worth taking a punt.

I don't have a problem with it because if we get him it's because JĆ¼rgen wanted him not some kind of back/forth scenario like it was with Brendan and the TC.

If JĆ¼rgen wants him its for a reason.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #241: Jul 03, 2018 05:45:12 am
      It's as if the people who say shaqiri is a good player don't watch or understand football. It's all about opinions and you're entitled to yours obviously, but scoring a wonder goal every dozen matches doesn't make you a good player.

What makes you a good player is consistency. Shaqiri has none. He's lazy and he has a terrible attitude so I dont even want him as cover. He's just another Balotelli.

Just because he's available for 13mil doesn't mean we should sign him either. That logic is stupid.

Don't mean to chat sh*t here but It's a bit like me having a brand new sports car but I've got bags of money so I want to buy another car as a spare so I can keep the miles down and lock it away in the garage on a winters day. I go to the show room and i see a Ford Fiesta advertised for sale. It's not got a patch on my sports car but for what it is, it's selling at a reasonable price. Should I make do and buy this fiesta even though it's a big come down from my usual sports car or should I stop being a tight arse and spend a bit more money and get something much more similar in terms of quality to what I usually drive?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #242: Jul 03, 2018 05:53:53 am
      It's as if the people who say shaqiri is a good player don't watch or understand football. It's all about opinions and you're entitled to yours obviously, but scoring a wonder goal every dozen matches doesn't make you a good player.

What makes you a good player is consistency. Shaqiri has none. He's lazy and he has a terrible attitude so I dont even want him as cover. He's just another Balotelli.

Just because he's available for 13mil doesn't mean we should sign him either. That logic is stupid.

Don't mean to chat sh*t here but It's a bit like me having a brand new sports car but I've got bags of money so I want to buy another car as a spare so I can keep the miles down and lock it away in the garage on a winters day. I go to the show room and i see a Ford Fiesta advertised for sale. It's not got a patch on my sports car but for what it is, it's selling at a reasonable price. Should I make do and buy this fiesta even though it's a big come down from my usual sports car or should I stop being a tight arse and spend a bit more money and get something much more similar in terms of quality to what I usually drive?

I am just assuming we are not getting a player because of his cost, the manager has shown he doesn't suffer fools or trouble makers.

I figure "if" we sign him it is with a plan in mind and the manager see's something we may not?

I am pretty confident he knows more about the players and what he want's more than we do...don't think it has one iota to do with how much we are spending or not.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #243: Jul 03, 2018 05:59:28 am
      I am just assuming we are not getting a player because of his cost, the manager has shown he doesn't suffer fools or trouble makers.

I figure "if" we sign him it is with a plan in mind and the manager see's something we may not?

I am pretty confident he knows more about the players and what he want's more than we do...don't think it has one iota to do with how much we are spending or not.

I do. If he wasn't available for 13m and if Stoke were demanding 40, then would we be interested? Would klopp want him that much?

I seriously doubt that.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #244: Jul 03, 2018 07:45:19 am
      I do. If he wasn't available for 13m and if Stoke were demanding 40, then would we be interested? Would klopp want him that much?

I seriously doubt that.

So despite your earlier argument you agree that the relatively cheap cost is a factor then. By the way Shaquiri could be a very good player for us if properly motivated and if there is one manager out there who could do it then its JĆ¼rgen and from my pov that is a Ā£12m gamble worth taking.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #245: Jul 03, 2018 08:01:05 am
      So despite your earlier argument you agree that the relatively cheap cost is a factor then. By the way Shaquiri could be a very good player for us if properly motivated and if there is one manager out there who could do it then its JĆ¼rgen and from my pov that is a Ā£12m gamble worth taking.

Yes the fee is a factor and that's exactly what I'm saying. Just because he's going for cheap doesn't mean we should sign him.

Az suggested that the price is irrelevant and that he's just the player klopp wants. I disagree on that and it's my opinion that if he was going for triple that then we wouldn't be interested at all.  If we were, then why not sign him a year ago? Because let's face it, it's not as if he's had a very good season this year is it? He hasn't done anything of note for anybody to sit up and take notice of him all of a sudden.

You think 12m is a gamble worth taking on a a lazy, inconsistent player with a terrible attitude. That's fair enough. Many thought the same about balotelli too.

If I was given the choice then I'd sign somebody completely different with much better quality. If that's not an option and we don't have the budget for that, then I'd prefer to give Wilson some game time and hope he can make the step up, which is another gamble but one id prefer to take over shaqiri.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #246: Jul 03, 2018 08:10:32 am
      Yes the fee is a factor and that's exactly what I'm saying. Just because he's going for cheap doesn't mean we should sign him.

Az suggested that the price is irrelevant and that he's just the player klopp wants. I disagree on that and it's my opinion that if he was going for triple that then we wouldn't be interested at all.  If we were, then why not sign him a year ago? Because let's face it, it's not as if he's had a very good season this year is it? He hasn't done anything of note for anybody to sit up and take notice of him all of a sudden.

You think 12m is a gamble worth taking on a a lazy, inconsistent player with a terrible attitude. That's fair enough. Many thought the same about balotelli too.

If I was given the choice then I'd sign somebody completely different with much better quality. If that's not an option and we don't have the budget for that, then I'd prefer to give Wilson some game time and hope he can make the step up, which is another gamble but one id prefer to take over shaqiri.

Huge difference between us getting Shaquiri as an option player and Balotelli as our main striker although I do agree both would be gambles. Shaquiri at the price he is being quoted would be an extra player not the main player and therefore I think its a gamble worth taking, if he turns out to be complete sh*t then we can easily move him on next season, it is very low risk and IF JĆ¼rgen could get the best out of him then he could be one hell of a signing.
      rossyred

• 9,255 posts | 1659 
      Reply #247: Jul 04, 2018 09:40:12 pm
      Twitter saying announced tomorrow 🤔🤔
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,314 posts | 2810 
      Reply #248: Jul 04, 2018 09:44:24 pm
      If you believe the Twitter ITKā€™s then this will be done tomorrow.

Donā€™t really think heā€™s good enough for us but Iā€™ll trust JĆ¼rgen to work his magic on him.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #249: Jul 04, 2018 10:29:36 pm
      United getting ready to get him before us.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,393 posts | 3397 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #250: Jul 04, 2018 11:13:52 pm
      United getting ready to get him before us.

Source?
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #251: Jul 04, 2018 11:57:17 pm
      More than happy to add Shaqiri to the squad.
      Think he is a damn good player
      Still young enough to be coached in a manner to get more out of him.
      Tough little bugger also
      Keita, Fabinho, Shaqiri and I would guess two others.
      Hopefully yet another good transfer window for Klopp.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #252: Jul 04, 2018 11:58:56 pm
      More than happy to add Shaqiri to the squad.
      Think he is a damn good player
      Still young enough to be coached in manner to get more out of him.
      Tough little bugger.
      Keita, Fabinho, Shaqiri and I would guess two others.
      Hopefully yet another good transfer window for Klopp.

I too think he is a damn good player, but he is also a F***ing damn sh*t player!!! :D But as I said before, maybe having better players around him will take his level up a few notches!!!

Quick Reply