Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City)

Read 69310 times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City)
      Reply #253: Jul 05, 2018 12:22:09 am
      I too think he is a damn good player, but he is also a F***ing damn sh*t player!!! :D But as I said before, maybe having better players around him will take his level up a few notches!!!
      Exactly my opinion
      Plus when you add in the proposed fee due to the release clause it becomes a no brainer to me.
      Good addition
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #254: Jul 05, 2018 11:03:53 am
      He'll be someone coming off the bench.

I think at Stoke he became too comfortable but if you make that man fight for a place, and don't allow him to rest on his laurels then this move may work out very well.

He's got the talent and as we've seen time and time again, if anyone can get talent out of someone it's Klopp.

If he comes in, I trust the move. If he doesn't then Jürgen doesn't think he has it.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #255: Jul 05, 2018 07:29:55 pm
      sorry. I just went to find it and it's actually originated from a very bad news source. Other papers then quoted it. The truth is he just said he wants to stay in the premier league.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/media-watch/306026-liverpool-fc-transfers-xherdan-shaqiri
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #256: Jul 05, 2018 08:09:15 pm
      sorry. I just went to find it and it's actually originated from a very bad news source. Other papers then quoted it. The truth is he just said he wants to stay in the premier league.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/media-watch/306026-liverpool-fc-transfers-xherdan-shaqiri

Fair enough mate
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,002 posts | 3952 
      Reply #257: Jul 05, 2018 09:21:27 pm

That'll be the mànc press who link them with everyone on the transfer market and some that aren't.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,233 posts | 6359 
      Reply #258: Jul 06, 2018 02:20:17 pm
      He'll be someone coming off the bench.

Why does everyone assume he'll be happy coming off the bench?

I keep seeing this touted as a reason we should be happy about signing him, but I've never heard him say he wants to be reduced to a non-starting role just to play for a big club.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #259: Jul 06, 2018 02:26:56 pm
      With the amounts of games we have,  playing a front 3 results in 4th and 5th choice strikers getting a lot of games. Shaqiri is the minimum quality we can accept. Still think we'll need another.
      Origi, Sturidge, Markovic and Solanke won't be very much help next season. Send em all to Rangers.

This needs to be done though. It's quite important. If Shaqiri goes to a rival it will suck.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #260: Jul 06, 2018 02:59:38 pm
      Why does everyone assume he'll be happy coming off the bench?

I keep seeing this touted as a reason we should be happy about signing him, but I've never heard him say he wants to be reduced to a non-starting role just to play for a big club.

You'd hope he has the desire to try and push into the main team.

He knows what it's like to be the main man at a sh*te club and I assume he doesn't like it too much.

If he's not happy with fighting for a first team place then he was never going to sign anyway. If he signs he'll be under no illusions that he'll start from the get go.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #261: Jul 06, 2018 04:52:49 pm
      You'd hope he has the desire to try and push into the main team.

He knows what it's like to be the main man at a sh*te club and I assume he doesn't like it too much.

If he's not happy with fighting for a first team place then he was never going to sign anyway. If he signs he'll be under no illusions that he'll start from the get go.

He also knows what it's like to be on the bench at a big club. He left for that reason.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,665 posts | 883 
      Reply #262: Jul 06, 2018 05:19:34 pm
      He also knows what it's like to be on the bench at a big club. He left for that reason.

Inter wanted to get rid of him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,233 posts | 6359 
      Reply #263: Jul 06, 2018 05:25:09 pm
      Inter wanted to get rid of him.

I think he's talking about Bayern.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #264: Jul 06, 2018 05:54:46 pm

True, but I'd like to think he's matured since then. Maybe not.

Either way if we sign him then I trust the manager has seen something worth buying. If we don't then so be it, it's not going to make or break summer.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #265: Jul 11, 2018 12:08:53 am
      https://twitter.com/JPercyTelegraph/status/1016799903933259782

Just get this sh*t done and then buy a #10, please!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #266: Jul 11, 2018 12:21:25 am
      Expect it to be sorted this month #lfc #scfc

Ha! In others it's a wild guess. Transfer window closes early into next month so it kind of goes without saying that the chances are it would be sorted this month :laugh:
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #267: Jul 11, 2018 03:25:39 am
      I'll just leave this here.

Good Klopp isn't he?

I've just had a horrible flashback to when we signed Stewart downing and there were reds everywhere (probably appointed by the transfer committee) posting stats trying to justify the signing.

People are entitled to their opinions but mine is shaqiri is too slow, unfit and he doesn't have the work ethic to be a success here. He's lazy plain and simple. It's all well and good saying what if klopp gets this out of him and what if klopp gets that out of him. What if he doesn't?

I can only judge shaqiri on what I've seen so far from him and that's my opinion anyway. There's also a reason he never made it at either Bayern or inter and the way he publically blasted his stoke team mates earlier this season was a total disgrace.

We should be all over Willian right now who can't get a game for Chelsea and has hinted he wants out. If that's not an option (which lets be honest it probably isn't with our owners) then I'd rather give Wilson minutes instead of spending (and wasting) money on a little pudding like Shaqiri.

Spend 13m on shaqiri = gamble.
      Give Wilson minutes instead and spend the money elsewhere (HOPEFULLY TOWARDS A F***ing GOALIE) = gamble.

I'd prefer the latter though.

wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #268: Jul 11, 2018 04:13:58 am
      Stating that Shaqiri is too slow proves that you have never seen him play.

Shaqiri has flaws in his play however speed is not one of them.

He is an extremely talented player who unfortunately has never fully reached his potential. He is very fast and has an exceptional left foot.

However as you state, it appears that he lacks personal commitment, discipline and hard work.

There is the possibility that Klopp can succeed where other coaches failed. Moreover, at 26 years old Shaqiri is much more mature. The other important point is that Shaqiri would be acquired to provide cover and not to be the main go to guy. We have King Salah for that.

I trust Klopp. If he believes that Shaqiri can add options and points to the board, I am all in.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #269: Jul 11, 2018 04:29:39 am
      Stating that Shaqiri is too slow proves that you have never seen him play.

Shaqiri has flaws in his play however speed is not one of them.

He is an extremely talented player who unfortunately has never fully reached his potential. He is very fast and has an exceptional left foot.

However as you state, it appears that he lacks personal commitment, discipline and hard work.

There is the possibility that Klopp can succeed where other coaches failed. Moreover, at 26 years old Shaqiri is much more mature. The other important point is that Shaqiri would be acquired to provide cover and not to be the main go to guy. We have King Salah for that.

I trust Klopp. If he believes that Shaqiri can add options and points to the board, I am all in.

I've watched shaqiri all through his career, thanks.

Your definition of very fast obviously differs to mine.

I wouldn't describe his left foot as exceptional either. He's scored a couple of worldies during his career but so did ryan Babel. I wouldn't say he had an exceptional right foot either.

Finally, I can't stand that 'I trust klopp' or 'if he's good enough for klopp he's good enough for me' nonsense. I bet you said similar things under Kenny when he signed dross like Carroll, downing, adam too.

I love Jürgen as much as anyone but I don't have to agree with absolutely everything he says or does. 

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #270: Jul 11, 2018 05:42:22 am
      Time for Jürgen to prove me wrong again :D
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #271: Jul 11, 2018 07:10:48 am
      I've watched shaqiri all through his career, thanks.

Your definition of very fast obviously differs to mine.

I wouldn't describe his left foot as exceptional either. He's scored a couple of worldies during his career but so did ryan Babel. I wouldn't say he had an exceptional right foot either.

Finally, I can't stand that 'I trust klopp' or 'if he's good enough for klopp he's good enough for me' nonsense. I bet you said similar things under Kenny when he signed dross like Carroll, downing, adam too.

I love Jürgen as much as anyone but I don't have to agree with absolutely everything he says or does. 

I think Jürgen deserves more kudos in the transfer market compared to Kenny who signed a load of rubbish along with some quality.

After Robertson and Ox were slated before arriving and even Salah and VvD questioned he's shown if he wants someone, it's worth getting him. Don't get me wrong not all his signings have been perfect, but he's on a roll with them.
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #272: Jul 11, 2018 08:13:38 am
      Still not a fan of this signing. But surely Shaqiri is not an idiot. Surely he knows the club he's joining and the intensity of our system. Surely he knows if he doesn't match that intensity he'll be left warming the bench at best, even when we're resting starters. Surely he doesn't want to have to rebuild his career again after a couple years of barely playing.

And surely (if we do in fact sign him), our club have made it very clear what is expected of him, and just how far down the pecking order he is. If so, it's unlikely to be a grossly disappointing signing. He's still capable of being a pest for opponents to manage (although for nowhere near 60 min in our system, let alone 90). And he's likely to come up with the occasional moment of brilliance.

But if we get him but then don't get Moses Simon, I'll be bummed. At least Ox will have a gym buddy hahaha.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #273: Jul 11, 2018 08:40:32 am
      I think Jürgen deserves more kudos in the transfer market compared to Kenny who signed a load of rubbish along with some quality.

After Robertson and Ox were slated before arriving and even Salah and VvD questioned he's shown if he wants someone, it's worth getting him. Don't get me wrong not all his signings have been perfect, but he's on a roll with them.

True, but I still hate that phrase.

If I don't agree with something Jürgen says or does then I'll say so and give my opinion, isn't that why we're all here?

So instead of people being sheep and saying 'if Jürgen wants him then I want him' why not just comment on whether you rate the player, if you want us to sign him or not and give your reasons why. That's much more interesting to me than reading some super fan bollocks.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #274: Jul 11, 2018 09:06:27 am
      i am not impressed with the idea of Shaqiri, This is not a forward step. He has some quality on his day, but he is fairly slow and has proven at the top clubs that he has been at that he is not ready/good enough.

tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,280 posts | 235 
      Reply #275: Jul 11, 2018 09:32:47 am
      good option from bench and cheap...low risk really.

Quick Reply