Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City)

Read 68708 times
      Kopite78
      Re: Xherdan Shaqiri (Stoke City)
      Reply #322: Jul 11, 2018 03:59:41 pm
      Where's your opinion? All you did was moan about previously failed transfers that were viewed as gambles, and now got funny with me.

Just saying that for Klopp to want to sign him, maybe he feels he can get the best out of him because there's obviously quality there, he's far from the worst player. Every signing is a gamble.

You not read too well?

Whatever lad. I hope he's a success I just dont think he will be
      « Last Edit: Jul 11, 2018 04:05:23 pm by Kopite78 »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #323: Jul 11, 2018 04:00:39 pm
      You not read too well?

Whatever lad. I hope he's a success I just think he will be

Who pissed on your cornflakes, christ.
      Kopite78
      Reply #324: Jul 11, 2018 04:05:03 pm

🙄
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #325: Jul 11, 2018 04:07:27 pm
      He's a good player, we know this for a fact. Will he fit at Liverpool? Jurgren must believe he will ( even though he's most likely a committee signing based on his price tag) or surely he wouldn't be coming.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #326: Jul 11, 2018 04:11:27 pm

I get where he is coming from tbh. He just doesn't rate Shaqiri like how we didn't rate Ox and wants a higher calibre player for a less riskier gamble. I honestly remember being in his shoes and was annoyed we signed Ox at 40m when I felt we could have gotten far better!

Kopite78
      Reply #327: Jul 11, 2018 04:14:36 pm
      I get where he is coming from tbh. He just doesn't rate Shaqiri like how we didn't rate Ox and wants a higher calibre player for a less riskier gamble. I honestly remember being in his shoes and was annoyed we signed Ox at 40m when I felt we could have gotten far better!

🤙
      I was actually excited about Chambo 🙈

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #328: Jul 11, 2018 04:19:39 pm

Which is exactly why I'm happy to just go with this, seemed madness paying that much for a player in the last year of his contract so in the grand scheme of things, 12/13mill for a player who does have quality about him, plenty of reason to think he could become a good backup option. If Shaqiri was going to be our main signing to try and replace Coutinho then yeah I'd be a bit pissed too, but we don't have unlimited funds and when this signing would probably cost near on 30mill without the release clause, it could be a lot worse. We need depth to the team and I see more positives than negatives to this move.

Consistency will be the key. It's not like signing Balotelli for a low fee because he was always going to be a disaster and was essentially signed as a replacement for Suarez because Rodgers wasn't able to get anybody else.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #329: Jul 11, 2018 04:26:00 pm
      Which is exactly why I'm happy to just go with this, seemed madness paying that much for a player in the last year of his contract so in the grand scheme of things, 12/13mill for a player who does have quality about him, plenty of reason to think he could become a good backup option. If Shaqiri was going to be our main signing to try and replace Coutinho then yeah I'd be a bit pissed too, but we don't have unlimited funds and when this signing would probably cost near on 30mill without the release clause, it could be a lot worse. We need depth to the team and I see more positives than negatives to this move.

Consistency will be the key. It's not like signing Balotelli for a low fee because he was always going to be a disaster and was essentially signed as a replacement for Suarez because Rodgers wasn't able to get anybody else.
      yea, the worst case scenario is he doesn't do well and we flog him in a couple of seasons for 10m.
      Best case scenario, he does very well under klopps guidance and becomes first 11 material.
      Likely scenario is in the middle, plays some important games when some people are missing. Plays in domestic cup matches. Performs to a reasonable standard and sees his contract out before going on a free transfer in about 4-5 years.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #330: Jul 11, 2018 04:36:39 pm
      I like the move for that price, does improve the depth in the attacking three which is what we were looking to do and good on set pieces which is a quality we do lack at the moment. Klopp has had good success with players who came from relegated club the season before (Gini and Robertson) so hope that trend does continue.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #331: Jul 11, 2018 04:58:30 pm
      Four or five years ago I was big time into this little guy but for some reason my interest has wained.
      Doesn't help himself with the poses and the facial expressions... albeit that's nothing to do with football  quality.

Being the short arse that he is with a low centre of gravity he reminds me of Messi with some of his movement.

Got a helluva shot on him and great in dead ball / set piece situations.

The money is a no risk and a no brainer ... but ........ ?

Can't get excited about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44791849    Today... July 11th / 18

Liverpool are in talks to sign Stoke's Switzerland forward Xherdan Shaqiri and could trigger his release clause, believed to be more than £13m.

The 26-year-old scored against Serbia at the World Cup as Switzerland reached the last 16, where they lost to Sweden.

Shaqiri joined Stoke from Inter Milan in August 2015 for a club record fee of £12m.

He was the Potters' top scorer last season with eight goals as they were relegated from the Premier League.

In June, Shaqiri was reported as saying he wanted to leave Stoke and sign for a Premier League club.

Liverpool have already strengthened their squad this summer with the £39m signing of Monaco midfielder Fabinho and the arrival of Naby Keita from RB Leipzig.

He ain't no Mahrez (gone on the cheap for £60 mill) and he ain't no Fekir.
      « Last Edit: Jul 11, 2018 05:05:04 pm by MIRO »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #332: Jul 11, 2018 05:11:59 pm
      I was watching Shaqiri 2017-2018 goals on YouTube.
      Every goal within that period had an element of quality to be fair.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #333: Jul 11, 2018 05:41:04 pm
      I am chill with it for the fact that in the past this would have been a marquee signing for the first XI, this is nothing but picking up experienced cover for multiple positions from player that add's a little different dimension.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #334: Jul 11, 2018 05:41:28 pm
      Yep.. gamble that wasn't it.. one we weren't sure about
      Same with carroll
      Same with Adam
      Same with Balotelli
      Same with Karius

All gambles that didnt work out

At least we aren't taking gamble now eh?

What? Shaqiri?

Wait what?

And his obvious F***ing weaknesses

Just another gamble which I'd imagine goes the same way as the rest of the gambles

I'm not so sure it is a big gamble mate.

I think this signing might surprise us and am not as against it as I thought I would have been.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #335: Jul 11, 2018 05:47:31 pm
      Now I Got My Own Army Guy? | By Xherdan Shaqiri

Our house didn’t have heat. Just a big fireplace. It was a really old, old house on a farm in Basel, and that’s just the way it was. I didn’t really even think about it. I kept myself warm by running around like lunatic. My older brother was the one who was always complaining about the cold, because his room was upstairs, far away from the fireplace. He had to sleep with like five blankets in winter.

My family had left Kosovo before the war broke out, when I was four years old, and they tried to make a life in Switzerland with me and my two brothers. It was not easy. My father didn’t speak Swiss German, so he had to start out washing dishes in a restaurant. He eventually got a job working construction on roads. My mother worked as a cleaner in office buildings in the city. (I was her vacuum helper, and my brothers cleaned the windows.)

Switzerland is very expensive for anyone, but it was extra difficult for my parents because they were sending a lot of money back home to our family members who were still in Kosovo. At first, we could fly back to see them every year. In fact, my mother always says, “On the plane, you were always being a Bad Boy! Always trying to climb over the seats and touch the people behind us! You would never be quiet!”

But when the war started it became impossible to go back, and things were very difficult for my family members who were stuck there. My uncle’s house was burned to the ground, and there was a lot of suffering. My father would send as much money back as he could, so we never had any extra spending money when I was growing up, except for maybe one thing on birthdays.

Funny story, actually … Ronaldo was my idol. The original Ronaldo. The way he played, it was like magic to me. During the ’98 World Cup Final, when he was injured and Brazil lost to France, I was crying and crying because I was just so sad for him. My seventh birthday was three months after the World Cup, and I kept saying to my mother every day for the whole three months, “All I want for my birthday is the yellow Ronaldo jersey. Please, just get me that jersey.”

So my birthday comes, and my mom has only one box for me. I open it, and it’s the yellow Ronaldo jersey. Only it’s one of those fake ones you buy down at the market. I don’t even think it had a badge on it. It was just some yellow shirt with a green number 9. My parents didn’t have the money to buy a real one, but it didn’t matter to me. It was like the happiest day of my life. I wore it every day for like 10 days, and I even had these yellow shorts that I’d wear with it.

O

ur house didn’t have heat. Just a big fireplace. It was a really old, old house on a farm in Basel, and that’s just the way it was. I didn’t really even think about it. I kept myself warm by running around like lunatic. My older brother was the one who was always complaining about the cold, because his room was upstairs, far away from the fireplace. He had to sleep with like five blankets in winter.

My family had left Kosovo before the war broke out, when I was four years old, and they tried to make a life in Switzerland with me and my two brothers. It was not easy. My father didn’t speak Swiss German, so he had to start out washing dishes in a restaurant. He eventually got a job working construction on roads. My mother worked as a cleaner in office buildings in the city. (I was her vacuum helper, and my brothers cleaned the windows.)

Switzerland is very expensive for anyone, but it was extra difficult for my parents because they were sending a lot of money back home to our family members who were still in Kosovo. At first, we could fly back to see them every year. In fact, my mother always says, “On the plane, you were always being a Bad Boy! Always trying to climb over the seats and touch the people behind us! You would never be quiet!”

But when the war started it became impossible to go back, and things were very difficult for my family members who were stuck there. My uncle’s house was burned to the ground, and there was a lot of suffering. My father would send as much money back as he could, so we never had any extra spending money when I was growing up, except for maybe one thing on birthdays.

Funny story, actually … Ronaldo was my idol. The original Ronaldo. The way he played, it was like magic to me. During the ’98 World Cup Final, when he was injured and Brazil lost to France, I was crying and crying because I was just so sad for him. My seventh birthday was three months after the World Cup, and I kept saying to my mother every day for the whole three months, “All I want for my birthday is the yellow Ronaldo jersey. Please, just get me that jersey.”

So my birthday comes, and my mom has only one box for me. I open it, and it’s the yellow Ronaldo jersey. Only it’s one of those fake ones you buy down at the market. I don’t even think it had a badge on it. It was just some yellow shirt with a green number 9. My parents didn’t have the money to buy a real one, but it didn’t matter to me. It was like the happiest day of my life. I wore it every day for like 10 days, and I even had these yellow shorts that I’d wear with it.

I was pretty much the only immigrant kid in my school, and I don’t think the Swiss kids understood why I was so obsessed with football. In Switzerland, football is just a sport. It’s not life like it is in other places. I remember, four years later, when Ronaldo showed up at the 2002 World Cup with that triangle haircut, I went to the hairdresser and said, “Give me the Ronaldo haircut.”

But I had curly blonde hair at the time., so it was just crazy. I showed up to school and all the kids were looking at me like, What happened with this guy? What the f*** has he done?

I didn’t care. I was just being me. My school was in the nice part of town, but my house was just a five-minute walk from the really bad part of town and that’s where the really good football was. My mother would beg me not to go, but I would walk there every day after school to play. I know people think Switzerland is all really nice, and most of it is, but in this park, it was crazy. All the teams were like the United Nations. You had Turkish, Africans, Serbians, Albanians, everything. And it wasn’t just football — everybody would be hanging out there, so you had people there blasting German hip-hop, you had kids freestyle rapping, you had girls just walking straight through the pitch while a game was going on.

The football was real football. Like, you would see guys get punched all the time. I never got punched, because I would keep my mouth shut, always. But playing in that park really helped me because I was a small kid, and I learned how to play with men who were definitely not joking around.

When I was 14 years old, I was playing for FC Basel’s youth team, and we had a chance to play in the Nike Cup in Prague. The problem was that I had to miss a few days of school, and when I asked my teacher, he said no. In Switzerland, the teachers are very serious about school. I thought, S***, O.K., well I’m going to have to fake like I’m sick.

So I had my mother write a note to the school saying that I had the flu or something, and I went to Prague for the tournament. I played really, really well, and that’s the first time I saw kids from other countries looking at me like, Damn, that’s the kid from Basel. That’s him. That was a really great feeling.

We flew back home and I showed up to school on Monday, still pretending like I was a little bit sick, you know? And my teacher immediately said, “Xherdan, come over here. Come, come, come.”

He waved me over and pulled the newspaper out of his desk.

He pointed down and said, “Oh, you were sick?”

And on the front page of the paper, there was a photo of me smiling, holding the Player of the Tournament trophy.

I just looked at him and put my hands in the air, like, Well … s***!

I started getting a lot of attention after that tournament, but money was still a real problem for my family, because both of my brothers were also playing for Basel. Whenever we had to pay to go to a tournament or something, it was three times the price. When I was 16, we had to pay for this training camp somewhere in Spain, and it was like 700 Swiss Francs or something. My father came to us one night and said, “Look, it’s impossible. We cannot pay this.”

So my brothers and I all went out and got little jobs to pay for it. I went around the neighborhood mowing people’s lawns for like three weeks, and my one brother — I don’t even know what he was doing exactly — all I know is that he was working in some factory with the big safety glasses and everything. Somehow, we got the money together at the last moment, and we were able to go to Spain. And I remember that my big fear wasn’t even that I couldn’t go; my fear was that my teammates would find out that we couldn’t pay.

You know how it is with kids mobbing and making fun of you, especially when you’re 16 or 17. After training, all the kids would go grab some food from the kiosk, and my brothers and I never had any money so we would make up some excuse that we had to go home right away. But I think that made me hungry in a different way. I was hungry to play against the best, always.

About a year later, when I was 17, I got called up to the Basel first team. I got put in for like 20 minutes at the end of a match, and I thought I did pretty well. I showed up the next day to training, and our youth team coach said, “What the hell was that? What were you thinking?”

I said, “What are you talking about?”

He said, “I just spoke to the manager. He says all you were doing was dribbling. You’re back with the second team. That’s it.”

I was shocked. I thought that I was finished at Basel.

Two weeks later, they fired the manager. A new manager came in. He called me up to the first team, and I never looked back. It was funny because he put me at left back, and well … you know, I love to attack and create, so the defenders were always shouting at me, “You have to get back! Come back!”

Hahaha! Well, what can I say? It worked out pretty well for me, because the papers were saying that maybe I would be called for the 2010 World Cup. I didn’t really know what to think. It was kind of crazy. When I was named to the squad, it was a very emotional moment. I went straight home to tell my mom and dad, and they were so happy.

It happened very fast. One day I was 16, mowing people’s gardens so I could get the money together to pay for a ticket to Spain, and then I was 18, getting on a plane to South Africa for the World Cup?

I remember when we played against Spain, seeing Iniesta right in front of me and thinking, Wow, the guy I watched on TV, he’s right there. But the thing that I will always remember is that when we first arrived, we got to our hotel and they had an army guy with a huge gun standing outside the door of every single room. Our own personal army guy to protect us. I thought that was the coolest thing in the world, because … I mean … I was running home from the park at night like a year before that! Now I got my own army guy?

For my parents, it was a really proud moment to see me playing at the World Cup, because they came to Switzerland with nothing and they worked so hard to try to make a good life for their kids. I think the media often misunderstands my feelings for Switzerland. I feel that I have two homes. It’s that simple. Switzerland gave my family everything, and I try to give everything for the national team. But whenever I go to Kosovo, I immediately have the feeling of home, too. It is not something logical. It is just a feeling that I have in my gut.

In 2012, when we played against Albania, I put the flags of Switzerland, Albania and Kosovo on my boots, and some of the Swiss newspapers were saying all kinds of negative things about it. I was criticized for it, but it’s crazy to me that some people feel this way because it’s simply my identity. The great thing about Switzerland is that the country has been very welcoming to people who come from war and poverty who are looking for a good life.

Switzerland has lakes and mountains and all that stuff. But Switzerland also has the park I played in with the Turks, the Serbs, the Albanians, the Africans, and the girls and the German rappers. Switzerland is for everyone.

When I run onto the field at the 2018 World Cup, I will have the flags of both Switzerland and Kosovo on my boots. Not because of politics or anything like that. But because the flags tell the story of my life.

Don’t worry though, the Swiss flag is on my left foot.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/xherdan-shaqiri-switzerland-now-i-got-my-own-army-guy
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #336: Jul 11, 2018 06:04:23 pm
      I don't know why we aren't all over Willian. Can't get a game at Chelsea and wants out.

The fee and wages will be more obviously but the difference in calibre of player between him and shaqiri is massive.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #337: Jul 11, 2018 06:11:22 pm
      I don't know why we aren't all over Willian. Can't get a game at Chelsea and wants out.

The fee and wages will be more obviously but the difference in calibre of player between him and shaqiri is massive.

50 bloody million pounds from Barca got rejected.

He’s decent but damn...
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #338: Jul 11, 2018 07:05:09 pm
      Four or five years ago I was big time into this little guy but for some reason my interest has wained.
      Doesn't help himself with the poses and the facial expressions... albeit that's nothing to do with football  quality.

Being the short arse that he is with a low centre of gravity he reminds me of Messi with some of his movement.

Got a helluva shot on him and great in dead ball / set piece situations.

The money is a no risk and a no brainer ... but ........ ?

Can't get excited about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44791849    Today... July 11th / 18

Liverpool are in talks to sign Stoke's Switzerland forward Xherdan Shaqiri and could trigger his release clause, believed to be more than £13m.

The 26-year-old scored against Serbia at the World Cup as Switzerland reached the last 16, where they lost to Sweden.

Shaqiri joined Stoke from Inter Milan in August 2015 for a club record fee of £12m.

He was the Potters' top scorer last season with eight goals as they were relegated from the Premier League.

In June, Shaqiri was reported as saying he wanted to leave Stoke and sign for a Premier League club.

Liverpool have already strengthened their squad this summer with the £39m signing of Monaco midfielder Fabinho and the arrival of Naby Keita from RB Leipzig.

He ain't no Mahrez (gone on the cheap for £60 mill) and he ain't no Fekir.

Agree with this, especially in looking at his club career trajectory. I mean...Bayern Munich to Stoke City??? There's been no consistency, and even internationally  we're just talking about a few notable moments.

But the hope, as always, is that Klopp can work wonders (if this whole story is in fact, true).
      GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #339: Jul 11, 2018 08:09:37 pm
      If we were a club that also signed more young talents with exceptional traits like Malcom, Bailey, Harit, Simon, Neres, Bergwijn etc every year to develop as immediate rotational players (and likely future starters) within our system, then I wouldn't have an issue with us acquiring a more experienced hand like Shaqiri for such a fee.

But we don't seem to. Instead, it's always clubs like Barcelona, Madrid, Man City, Chelsea, Juventus, PSG, and Monaco etc that seem to constantly sign such, and both develop quality players and make good business. Especially with Klopp at the helm, we must evolve into such a club.

Nonetheless, if Shaqiri ends up being signed, and shows a focused (rather than reckless) passion and effort, then I can still get behind him (as disappointed as I'd be by who we could alternatively acquire).

Despite some obvious limitations, he does have an element of versatility about him. Beyond being a winger, and suggestions he may be used occasionally as a #10, I actually think he may be considered as a Firmino backup too, where he would be capable of being a pest to opposing CBs and DMs without the ball.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #340: Jul 11, 2018 10:29:08 pm
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #341: Jul 12, 2018 12:13:28 am
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #342: Jul 12, 2018 08:22:19 am
      I like the move for that price, does improve the depth in the attacking three which is what we were looking to do and good on set pieces which is a quality we do lack at the moment. Klopp has had good success with players who came from relegated club the season before (Gini and Robertson) so hope that trend does continue.
      Pretty much were I'm at with the lad,as has been mentioned by a few reds on here he can be a bit of a lazy arse drifting in & out of games but I'm sure the gaffer will  whip him into shape.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #343: Jul 12, 2018 09:00:52 am
      For many seasons, I have wanted to see the likes of, Pongolle, Le Tallec, Amoo, J.Williams, Ayala, Spearing, Robinson, Coady, Suso, Kane, Woodburn, Wilson etc all given an opportunity and for us to gamble and not buy establish as cover, but lets face it, that isn't gonna win you the league, is it? This coming season seems different, and I feel we are at a stage where we should look for the stronger estabished cover to take us to the next level.

Shaqiri at 13m who could be capable of taking his game to the next level and possibly fight for a first 11 spot will be a huge steal and a far, far, far, far less of a risk than Wilson, Woodburn etc. Time for us to have a strong bench going into next season and start looking to challenge for the league and win it.

Agree with what you’re saying but just don’t feel Shaqiri is good enough. There’s still going to be a massive drop off when we rest Salah.

Unless we sign a top fourth attacker then I really wouldn’t bother. You don’t see the likes of City F**k about with Shaqiri, they just go and sign Mahrez. If we want to get up there with them, we need to start doing the same.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #344: Jul 12, 2018 10:30:02 am
      Agree with what you’re saying but just don’t feel Shaqiri is good enough. There’s still going to be a massive drop off when we rest Salah.

Unless we sign a top fourth attacker then I really wouldn’t bother. You don’t see the likes of City f**k about with Shaqiri, they just go and sign Mahrez. If we want to get up there with them, we need to start doing the same.

How much better do you expect for £12m? Names please. Personally I think he has tonnes of potential if he can be properly motivated and if anyone can do it then Jürgen can, and if not then so what, we move him on at the end of the season, its not like he's the only player we are signing and that we will be dependent on him.

Quick Reply