Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager - 2018/19 Edition

Read 194958 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Re: Jürgen Klopp - LFC Manager - 2018/19 Edition
      Reply #1334: May 02, 2019 08:37:10 am
      Honestly, anyone ripping him without logic or anyone not wanting him any longer or that are mad. Who else?

Debate his decisions, yeah. Discussion. That's fine, but suggesting or alluding to managerial change is crazy.

Again, who else?

Anyway

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1123716328165183495?s=19

Fine margins mate - they were blowing out their hoops after an hour.

We score I 100% believe we win last night. We didn’t and they got an incredibly lucky 2nd and THEN the game is DIFFERENT.

Absolutely believe we can make a game of this at Anfield.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #1335: May 02, 2019 08:58:15 am
      You’d rather have Messi and Suarez yet say how they got eliminated in the quarter finals last year...Which takes me back to my earlier comment - who’s the only team from last years semi final at that stage again this year? Oh right, us, the team with forwards who aren’t clinical in big moments apparently.
      Messi is a 5 time Ballon D'or winner, three time UEFA player of the year, 4 times Champions league winner, 10 time league champion, 6 time Spanish cup champion. Best player not only of his generation, the best player ever. I would rather have him over any player in the world.

They have the league wrapped up, they are in Copa Del Rey final and as things stand they are favorites to win it all in the Champions League unless there is an upset in the cards.

You mean like putting 5 past City to eliminate them last year? Like putting 7 past Roma, 3 past Bayern, beating PSG, beating Napoli in a make or break game in the final group stage game?
      Or perhaps you mean like Mane scoring in the final?

But yeah, all that is irrelevant because it doesn’t fit your narrative of clocking up the stats vs sh*t like Maribor.

Honestly, there is a knee-jerk topic, I suggest some of you use it.
      There are levels to this thing, and that is what you have so miserably missed. We most likely see a 97 point season, and it matters not if City get to 98.

You get to the final and you get beaten. You get a medal for participating in it, but everyone remembers who won it. This at the end of the day is the reality we live in. Last season there was an appearance on the Champions League final, and a 3-1 thumping. It was never close once Sergio Ramos injured Salah, another trophyless season. Barcelona won the league and Copa Del Rey, City won the league and the lesser League Cup.

You are here stressing the minute details that have thus far landed no silverware. You are comparing a front three that is really good and won nothing to front threes that regularly lifted a trophy. It does not get more knee jerk than that. And get this, show the same effort at Anfield and live with the result, I would be okay with that, but sometimes, effort no matter how good it is can be overturned by special players. That is what happened last night.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1336: May 02, 2019 09:08:32 am
      🙄

Look of course you want to win actual trophies - I believe we will by the way -  but to say that going consistently deep into champions league and getting 97 points if another team get one more means nothing is absolutely mental

Trophies are the ultimate end goal but overall perception and growth of a club is important
      Three years ago we weren't getting in the champions league, we weren't attractive to the better players as a destination.. now a we've qualified 3 years on the Trott, been to the last 4 two years on  the bounce and finished in the 90+ points in the league table but it means nothing?

F***ing want it right now modern fans

Unbelievable

What meant nothing was finishing 8th on 60 points and only watching the champions league on tv

If you think players aren't watching this and wanting to be part of it you're kidding yourselves

Trophies will come..
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #1337: May 02, 2019 09:17:48 am
      🙄

Look of course you want to win actual trophies - I believe we will by the way -  but to say that going consistently deep into champions league and getting 97 points if another team get one more means nothing is absolutely mental

Trophies are the ultimate end goal but overall perception and growth of a club is important
      Three years ago we weren't getting in the champions league, we weren't attractive to the better players as a destination.. now a we've qualified 3 years on the Trott, been to the last 4 two years on  the bounce and finished in the 90+ points in the league table but it means nothing?

F***ing want it right now modern fans

Unbelievable

What meant nothing was finishing 8th on 60 points and only watching the champions league on tv

If you think players aren't watching this and wanting to be part of it you're kidding yourselves

Trophies will come..
      Modern fans? I am old enough to remember the glory days in the 80's. Being a modern fan has nothing to do with it, and back then coming short was nothing. It is not a modern mind set, it is one that we I lived with as a child.

Once this season is done, the team in second and the team in fourth will all be in the CL, if an English team wins the Europa League, they will get a ticket too only that they will have a trophy. That at the end of the day is the reality, and in a few seasons most will simply remember who won the league. Fans on the team that came second will either remember City going through a stretch where they lost something like three games in a short period of time while in the Liverpool case it will be the draws.

Winning is the end game. Klopp has not taken the domestic cups seriously, maybe build the bench up and target those too.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #1338: May 02, 2019 09:26:25 am
      Last season there was an appearance on the Champions League final, and a 3-1 thumping.

You call 2 absolute howlers from our keeper to gift them the cup a "thumping"?

Think I'll stop reading your knee-jerk bs from now on.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4420 
      Reply #1339: May 02, 2019 09:28:00 am

Too be fair irrelevant of the howlers we were played off the park in that second half.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,391 posts | 1025 
      Reply #1340: May 02, 2019 09:29:31 am
      Just seen a video of Rio and Lineker jumping around and hugging each other when Messi scored his 600th goal. I really don’t get the worshipping of him, a great player, no doubt, but I watched him last night appealing every decision asking the ref for cards, going down when anyone came near him, he gets all the 50/50 decisions because of who he is/ who they are!
      Tough ask to overturn that, but I really think, if we play like we did last night we can do it.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #1341: May 02, 2019 09:35:13 am

Proper thumping.

When Salah was on, you could see that they were afraid of his pace. The moment he went off they dominated, and they had players that could change the game from the bench. The howlers? That was the GK brought on the cheap to compete with Mignolet. He is out on loan, still making the same mistakes in some games. It was a strange case of getting what you pay for, and Klopp went for a vastly better otherworldly GK for big bucks.

Knee jerk? Not close to it.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1342: May 02, 2019 09:38:42 am
      Modern fans? I am old enough to remember the glory days in the 80's. Being a modern fan has nothing to do with it, and back then coming short was nothing. It is not a modern mind set, it is one that we I lived with as a child.

Once this season is done, the team in second and the team in fourth will all be in the CL, if an English team wins the Europa League, they will get a ticket too only that they will have a trophy. That at the end of the day is the reality, and in a few seasons most will simply remember who won the league. Fans on the team that came second will either remember City going through a stretch where they lost something like three games in a short period of time while in the Liverpool case it will be the draws.

Winning is the end game. Klopp has not taken the domestic cups seriously, maybe build the bench up and target those too.

Of course trophies are the ultimate but to suggest where we are means nothing I can't agree
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #1343: May 02, 2019 09:40:12 am
      My only issue from last night was Joe Gomez playing at right back.

His first start since early December and away at the Nou Camp. A lot to ask. And especially that he played the full 90.

He was poor in possession and offered nothing going forward. Should have been subbed on at least 60min.

Other than that, Klopp ans us were unlucky. We dominated for large periods and had two or three big opportunities to level or get an away goal.

Klopp cannot put the ball in the net for the lads.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #1344: May 02, 2019 09:49:20 am
      Too be fair irrelevant of the howlers we were played off the park in that second half.

Granted, after Salah came off, they dominated. Nevertheless, they won due to the howlers. Testament to the team's efforts. I certainly wouldn't have called it a "thumping".
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #1345: May 02, 2019 09:50:07 am
      Of course trophies are the ultimate but to suggest where we are means nothing I can't agree
      This is why I said there are levels to this thing. It is a perception thing.

If City lose the league from this point, it will be seen as failure. And they are only a point ahead. Barcelona losing the semi final tie, and not going the distance would be seen as a bottle job. There was a point this season when the gap between Liverpool and City was 7 points.......perception.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1346: May 02, 2019 10:01:43 am
      This is why I said there are levels to this thing. It is a perception thing.

If City lose the league from this point, it will be seen as failure. And they are only a point ahead. Barcelona losing the semi final tie, and not going the distance would be seen as a bottle job. There was a point this season when the gap between Liverpool and City was 7 points.......perception.

Perception is a very individual thing and I personally don't see it as black or white, success or failure

But each to their own
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #1347: May 02, 2019 10:41:35 am
      Perception is a very individual thing and I personally don't see it as black or white, success or failure

But each to their own
      At the highest level, a team's success is defined by how much they win. I am not talking about how a fan thinks his team is doing, I am talking about what are the aspirations of the team going into a season. There are different levels to that.

There are teams that want to avoid relegation, there are those that are angling for a top ten finish. There are those that aim for a top 4 and those that get into the season with the desire to win something, those with dreams of winning everything.

The gap between Liverpool and City might have been 10/7/4 depending on the result of the game played early this year. City losing that game, not winning the league this season would have been a failure, could still be a failure. Coming short after bottling that huge point advantage to some here will be seen as progress. Not in my books considering how negative some of those games were.

Liverpool was defined by trophies, and it should always be the case. This includes the domestic cups that are now seen as not worth it. But to each his own.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1348: May 02, 2019 10:45:02 am
      At the highest level, a team's success is defined by how much they win. I am not talking about how a fan thinks his team is doing, I am talking about what are the aspirations of the team going into a season. There are different levels to that.

There are teams that want to avoid relegation, there are those that are angling for a top ten finish. There are those that aim for a top 4 and those that get into the season with the desire to win something, those with dreams of winning everything.

The gap between Liverpool and City might have been 10/7/4 depending on the result of the game played early this year. City losing that game, not winning the league this season would have been a failure, could still be a failure. Coming short after bottling that huge point advantage to some here will be seen as progress. Not in my books considering how negative some of those games were.

Liverpool was defined by trophies, and it should always be the case. This includes the domestic cups that are now seen as not worth it. But to each his own.

I want to win trophies more than you'll know and I'm from the same generation as yourself

But I'm not on your page as calling this a failure which is ultimately what you're saying

So yeah each to their own

Yes we want and need trophies but this season in my perception does not mean nothing

When you compare us and city to where the clubs have been for the last 10 it's not comparable and ours will be a slower build.. this is another  important step in that build
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1349: May 02, 2019 11:09:25 am
      Yeah maybe but pressure like this and the CL final last season is another level.

Until we start winning trophies then what I have said stands.
      Means nothing scoring a hatful against Huddersfield then missing sitters against arguably the best club team in the world.
      The problem is most fans are looking at us with rose tinted goggles. We did well this season, but in the times we didn't there are questionable choices.

1) Henderson as a right back - result, draw against mid table.
      2) Gini advanced, Gomez as RB, - result, 3 nil loss.

Now I'm not saying we would have done better without those unusual line ups, but nobody knows. Perhaps the result is the same..

Imagine for a second it is F1 and the person winning the race has good tyres still, but they are told to change tyre, they loose 10 seconds and the race. Later in the season they finish 2nd in the driver standings and somebody turns around and says it's not because of the tyre change, people who blame that are stupid idiots.

It doesn't mean they have been bad all season, but small margins cost titles.

We have done well, most seasons errors don't cost is like this but this season small errors will be the decider. Maybe we'll win the title in the future but if man city stay like they are and we do strange things like put midfielders as right back, we might be waiting a long time for a trophy. Some people will say be patient, some will say second is not a trophy... but this is the problem with making odd things in the line up.

At the end of the day, yesterday's result was because Barcelona's strikers were calm on the ball and our situation was different.. but our strange line up didn't really help matters if I'm honest.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,240 posts | 850 
      Reply #1350: May 02, 2019 11:33:07 am

to be fair, we were humbled against RM last season, we kind of had an easy run to the final except for City.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1351: May 02, 2019 12:31:42 pm
      On topic...
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1352: May 02, 2019 12:33:12 pm

Klopp really didn't do a lot wrong last night, because Keita going off injured a while after that F***ing horrendous scissor tackle would have messed up his plans, I think.
      The team didn't do a lot wrong either, and played really well, creating more than enough chances to win.
      We weren't outclassed, we weren't even outplayed, it's just how it goes sometimes.
      « Last Edit: May 02, 2019 12:35:45 pm by racerx34 »
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #1353: May 02, 2019 02:48:34 pm

Klopp really didn't do a lot wrong last night, because Keita going off injured a while after that f**king horrendous scissor tackle would have messed up his plans, I think.
      The team didn't do a lot wrong either, and played really well, creating more than enough chances to win.
      We weren't outclassed, we weren't even outplayed, it's just how it goes sometimes.

Spot on.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #1354: May 02, 2019 03:59:26 pm
      Quote from HScRed1
      Until we start winning trophies then what I have said stands.
      Means nothing scoring a hatful against Huddersfield then missing sitters against arguably the best club team in the world.

1 European Cup in the past 8 years. They're not the best club team in Europe, let alone the world.

Jürgen tinkering with the line up was a gamble before ko. It turned out to be one that probably cost us the tie.

Gomez should not have started. TAA and Firmino should have. When he did come on, he created a chance in minutes. Unfortunately the damage was done by then. If Firmino was out, AOC should have started. He wasn't even on the bench. Wijnaldum is good at what he does, but a makeshift forward in Barcelona he ain't.

We are capable of retrieving the deficit at home. But I don't think we'll keep the back door shut. In that case, we'll need at least 5, and obviously it's never been successfully done before. And if you were going to choose an opponent to do it against, it's fair to say Barcelona would not be your first choice.

Back to the drawing board.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,279 posts | 802 
      Reply #1355: May 02, 2019 04:13:28 pm

Yeah start AOC having played 15 mins or whatever the F**k it is of first team football in a year.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #1356: May 02, 2019 04:16:05 pm
      ugh, here i am with some time to catch up on the board only to see it's toddler time. Looks like i'll need to find other ways to pass time today.

Quick Reply