Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Curtis Jones Player Thread (M)

Read 79804 times
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,659 posts | 489 
      Re: Curtis Jones Player Thread (M)
      Reply #805: Apr 18, 2024 10:05:28 pm
      Ah - looks like it’s back to jones being a scapegoat again

Ffs he is just coming back from an injury

The man has proved himself more than good enough more than enough times now

That's the main thing though, he is not a top player.
      For club of our level we need better players than him, and I'm talking about home grown too.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 171 
      Reply #806: Apr 18, 2024 10:24:12 pm
      Never rated him, never will rate him. He's a mid/more lower level Prem player, he'd do well to get in a Palace/Fulham/Wolves side.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,337 posts | 779 
      Reply #807: Apr 18, 2024 10:55:59 pm
      Never rated him, never will rate him. He's a mid/more lower level Prem player, he'd do well to get in a Palace/Fulham/Wolves side.
      He's got a degree of technical skill....and that's where his attributes end..No physicality...no pace...no awareness....and hopefully no future at LFC
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 171 
      Reply #808: Apr 18, 2024 10:59:08 pm
      He's got a degree of technical skill....and that's where his attributes end..No physicality...no pace...no awareness....and hopefully no future at LFC

Amen.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,296 posts | 1666 
      Reply #809: Apr 18, 2024 11:14:17 pm

Played well before his injury but just lacks that something hangs onto ball and gets caught in possession too much
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,185 posts | 1099 
      Reply #810: Apr 18, 2024 11:20:55 pm
      Played well before his injury but just lacks that something hangs onto ball and gets caught in possession too much
      Yeah. Good player with limitations, both mentally and physically. Will be interesting to see how the new manager views him. He's one I could see sweating who comes in and how he plays.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,396 posts | 2823 
      Reply #811: Apr 19, 2024 07:08:03 am
      Don't think his really good spell was that good earlier in the season. Seems to be a bit overhyped for me when he's on that type of run.

It'll be interesting to see how the new manager views him because it's clear at the moment he's a Klopp favourite.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6743 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #812: Apr 19, 2024 09:20:47 am
      No way the new gaffer keeps him.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,064 posts | 2110 
      Reply #813: Apr 19, 2024 11:42:08 am
      Ah - looks like it’s back to jones being a scapegoat again

Ffs he is just coming back from an injury

The man has proved himself more than good enough more than enough times now

People have different standards. Having witnessed a side that was English and European champions a few short years ago, many of us are aware of what is required to get to that status again.

With people like Jones, Gakpo, Diaz many of us simply do not see players there that are even close to the quality that the likes of Gini, Mane, Bobby, Fabinho et al provided. On that basis, we're not close to that standard - not by a long way.

I dare say, neither Jones, Gakpo or Diaz are of CL quality. Heck, I'd struggle to make a case for Gakpo being top half Premier League quality.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,337 posts | 779 
      Reply #814: Apr 19, 2024 11:47:41 am
      People have different standards. Having witnessed a side that was English and European champions a few short years ago, many of us are aware of what is required to get to that status again.

With people like Jones, Gakpo, Diaz many of us simply do not see players there that are even close to the quality that the likes of Gini, Mane, Bobby, Fabinho et al provided. On that basis, we're not close to that standard - not by a long way.

I dare say, neither Jones, Gakpo or Diaz are of CL quality. Heck, I'd struggle to make a case for Gakpo being top half Premier League quality.
      Add Gravenburch and it all looks a bit Bargain basement goods at Harrod's prices. Massive squad restructure needed for next term.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #815: Apr 19, 2024 06:05:08 pm
      Jones, Dom and Gravenback have all been awful as of late what’s is going on
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 873 posts | 171 
      Reply #816: Apr 19, 2024 07:13:19 pm
      Jones, Dom and Gravenback have all been awful as of late what’s is going on

Maybe none of them are as good as we want to think they are?
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 300 
      Reply #817: Apr 20, 2024 03:51:26 pm

I think it's unfair to compare Jones, Gakpo and Diaz's current form to prime Gini, Mane and Bobby. Every squad will have some good players and some superstars. In the league winning season Origi made 28 appearances, Naby 18, Minamino 10 and Neco Williams 6. I think that Jones, Diaz and Gakpo are better than or similar to Naby, Origi, Minamino.

A top club in England needs a big squad to compete for all the trophies available. I think we have a very good squad, the current league position confirms this view. Obviously, we all want the team to have many world class players and I think the club has been good at bringing in top players fairly cheaply.

I don't think we should get rid of a big group of players and bring in lots of new players, we can't afford it and Chelsea have shown the risks of trying to do that. Yes, we need to improve the squad but I think CB and DM are the priority positions for the summer. Thiago and Matip are leaving so they need to be replaced, I don't think the new manager should start selling lots of players but a few who don't fit his style of play will probably go. I think Jones, Gakpo and Diaz can be valuable squad players. I agree that they will probably never be world class.

We probably do need to find a few quality players to replace Mane, Mo and Virgil (I think Mo and Virgil are clearly not the same players they were in their prime)
      « Last Edit: Apr 20, 2024 03:59:43 pm by gazred »
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #818: Apr 20, 2024 07:22:44 pm
      Maybe none of them are as good as we want to think they are?

On current form the is no doubt about that
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,347 posts | 6393 
      Reply #819: Apr 20, 2024 07:42:30 pm
      Seems to play well after a run of games but so far he can’t stay healthy. Seems to be the Liverpool way these days.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,064 posts | 2110 
      Reply #820: Apr 21, 2024 11:56:28 am
      I think it's unfair to compare Jones, Gakpo and Diaz's current form to prime Gini, Mane and Bobby. Every squad will have some good players and some superstars. In the league winning season Origi made 28 appearances, Naby 18, Minamino 10 and Neco Williams 6. I think that Jones, Diaz and Gakpo are better than or similar to Naby, Origi, Minamino.

A top club in England needs a big squad to compete for all the trophies available. I think we have a very good squad, the current league position confirms this view. Obviously, we all want the team to have many world class players and I think the club has been good at bringing in top players fairly cheaply.

I don't think we should get rid of a big group of players and bring in lots of new players, we can't afford it and Chelsea have shown the risks of trying to do that. Yes, we need to improve the squad but I think CB and DM are the priority positions for the summer. Thiago and Matip are leaving so they need to be replaced, I don't think the new manager should start selling lots of players but a few who don't fit his style of play will probably go. I think Jones, Gakpo and Diaz can be valuable squad players. I agree that they will probably never be world class.

We probably do need to find a few quality players to replace Mane, Mo and Virgil (I think Mo and Virgil are clearly not the same players they were in their prime)

Hand on heart, given Origi's contribution and big ones at that, to put him in the same breath as Diaz and Gakpo, who have done nothing, is a joke.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #821: Apr 21, 2024 12:02:08 pm
      Jones confuses me, because when he is at it he is everything we need in midfield, a player who can carry the ball and turn players to play defense-splitting passes.

The problem is he struggles to be consistent and when he is off it he is a passenger in midfield which you simply cannot afford in the prem.

I think he has one more season for me to prove himself, otherwise, I would look to offload him the following summer.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,258 posts | 8581 
      Reply #822: Apr 21, 2024 12:44:44 pm
      Hand on heart, given Origi's contribution and big ones at that, to put him in the same breath as Diaz and Gakpo, who have done nothing, is a joke.

But then again I've seen Origi since he was about 18/20 he didn't exactly set the world alight considering he was picked ahead of Benteke and Lukaku for a world Cup.

Scored some goals but a bit like Collymore he could of been a far greater talent. Wasn't it Alisson and Firmino who said in a Brazilian interview who said if Origi would have gave everything in training he would be a world class player - but he acted too chilled.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,033 posts | 534 
      Reply #823: Apr 21, 2024 10:39:55 pm
      Jones confuses me, because when he is at it he is everything we need in midfield, a player who can carry the ball and turn players to play defense-splitting passes.

The problem is he struggles to be consistent and when he is off it he is a passenger in midfield which you simply cannot afford in the prem.

I think he has one more season for me to prove himself, otherwise, I would look to offload him the following summer.

He is just back from injury and  rusty and off the pace. Before that he was consistently good for about a year. I was skeptical about him but he has improved a lot and he's definitely a more than useful squad player, and a good contender to be starting games.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6743 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #824: Apr 22, 2024 07:09:04 am
      Have to be honest HT came along 1-1 was calling out for changes but I just dreaded that change would be Curtis. Glad it wasn't.

Quick Reply