Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Improving Midfield - how will it set up?

Read 28146 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Improving Midfield - how will it set up?
      Reply #69: Aug 19, 2018 12:34:03 pm
      Liverpool boss Jürgen Klopp admits he has no idea how good Naby Keita can become

Jürgen Klopp admits Liverpool have no idea how good Naby Keita can become at Anfield.

Keita, a £52.75m summer signing from RB Leipzig, followed an encouraging pre-season with a hugely impressive display on his competitive debut in last Sunday's 4-0 Premier League opening day win at home to West Ham United.

Klopp has been a huge admirer of the 23-year-old and had wanted to bring the midfielder to Liverpool last year before a deal was struck to guarantee his delayed arrival.

And with the expectation levels having already been raised, the Reds boss is reluctant to discuss the potential of the Guinea international.

“Naby, we all have no clue how good he can be,” admitted Klopp. “He's too young to judge him. What can we say? Obviously he learned very quickly already in the last few years, from Austria to Leipzig, now here. So he adapts constantly and brings himself to the next level. Adapts to the other players, uses them really well.

“I don't want to make it too big (a thing), it's just that I don't know. If you asked me what his greatest strength was, I couldn't say it really. It's not because he's not long enough here. But he's a very smart footballer.”

Keita was followed to Anfield by Fabinho this summer as Klopp sought to restructure his midfield following the recent departures of Emre Can and Philippe Coutinho.

But the Reds boss believes the new boys should not detract from the efforts of players already at the club, with both James Milner and Gini Wijnaldum impressing in midfield alongside Keita last weekend.

“We talk about Naby Keita, that's good, he's new,” said Klopp. “But James Milner made big steps in the last three years, that's the truth. I don't want to judge his career but it feels like it's the best moment of his career.

“Gini Wijnaldum, no-one speaks about him. He came from Newcastle as kind of a number 10 or winger. He can play the '6' and the '8' in the way I don't know many players can. They don't talk about him.

“The world is like that. When it's new it's fantastic, what you already have (feel like saying) 'yeah, I'm still here too'. We only spoke about these three but Fabinho didn't play a minute so far and we expect big things from him. Adam Lallana, a long time injured. There's Xherdan Shaqiri too.

“All these things are good but they need to be good. It's not that we are surprised. It's exactly as good as necessary and now we have to make the best of it. That's exciting but the only thing we can do is work really hard and make the best of it.”

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-boss-Jürgen-klopp-admits-15046540
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #70: Aug 22, 2018 11:11:30 pm
      The battle for midfield places is inevitably going to produce one or two casualties. Some think Henderson will struggle once Fabinho and Keita establish themselves. Milner,Gini,Hendo,Lallana,Shaqiri....7 into 3 does not go. If Alex had not had the bad luck to be injured there would be even more competition.

We don't know our best midfield yet, they all have a chance.Problem will be getting a chance to show what they can do and these players are not going to accept being benched on any long term basis, so as I say there will be disappointment which will likely lead to unrest for one or two.

Klopp will need all his experience to juggle the pack, pick the best and keep everybody happy.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #71: Aug 23, 2018 08:07:34 am
      The important part now is we have competition for places in that midfield trio. For the DM or DLPM we now have Hendo, Gini and  Fabinho. At the moment Fabinho is still getting used to the EPL, he has shown he has all the attributes to play this position so to hold down that place he has to show he can do it better than Hendo and Gini, at the moment I don't think that's the case. He has to get used to the way this side plays, the players around him and the fastest league in the world so that will take time.

I think Keita has a nailed on place if he's fit. His competition is Lallana, Milner, Gini and Hendo (at a push).

The 3rd position, you could argue they are all competing with each other. This could all change if Ox comes back and starts playing like he did before his injury. I don't think Shaqiri comes into this because I think he'll be used more in a forward or wide role. If we change our formation that changes again.

The ultimate plan, I think, will be to have Keita and Fabinho in that 3 and whoever is in form or is more suited to that particular game or whatever the managers thoughts are. I think the 3 in there now are doing just fine which can only lead to healthy competition and rotation for all competitions. That puts us in a very strong position.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #72: Aug 23, 2018 11:50:27 am
      The important part now is we have competition for places in that midfield trio. For the DM or DLPM we now have Hendo, Gini and  Fabinho. At the moment Fabinho is still getting used to the EPL, he has shown he has all the attributes to play this position so to hold down that place he has to show he can do it better than Hendo and Gini, at the moment I don't think that's the case. He has to get used to the way this side plays, the players around him and the fastest league in the world so that will take time.

I think Keita has a nailed on place if he's fit. His competition is Lallana, Milner, Gini and Hendo (at a push).

The 3rd position, you could argue they are all competing with each other. This could all change if Ox comes back and starts playing like he did before his injury. I don't think Shaqiri comes into this because I think he'll be used more in a forward or wide role. If we change our formation that changes again.

The ultimate plan, I think, will be to have Keita and Fabinho in that 3 and whoever is in form or is more suited to that particular game or whatever the managers thoughts are. I think the 3 in there now are doing just fine which can only lead to healthy competition and rotation for all competitions. That puts us in a very strong position.

I agree, our midfield is so much stronger now than last season. I would like to see Fabinho getting some game time soon, but after how Roberson was beautifully integrated last season I trust Klopp 100% on this.

Defensively we look good as well, its a joy to see how well Gomez is playing alongside VVD, but we also have two fine CB's in Lovren and Matip plus Nat Philips shows a lot of promise. Both full back positions have good cover and we now have fairly good cover in attack as well, especially if Sturridge can be kept fit and healthy.

Then of course there is the fact that we finally have a top top goalkeeper again, I think that will make a huge difference to our season, in my opinion he has already won us 2 points as I suspect Karius or Migs would probably have let in a goal against Crystal Palace under all that pressure.

All in all we are looking pretty damned good this season and the only thing that is blocking our path is Citeh, but I still question if they are as hungry for the title as we are, they are looking pretty good so far though.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #73: Aug 23, 2018 02:12:33 pm

City has had the easier and more open matches. Where as we had one vs West Ham, but CP was on another level to City's opposition.

« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2018 02:16:53 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #74: Aug 23, 2018 02:18:40 pm

Tbh, last 2 games, City has had the easier matches :)

Not seen any of the games yet but suggests Keita in midfield and his ability to receive the ball even under pressure means less balls going backwards.

Or is it because Hendo has not been the deepest Midfielder  ;)

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #75: Aug 23, 2018 02:22:30 pm
      Not seen any of the games yet but suggests Keita in midfield and his ability to receive the ball even under pressure means less balls going backwards.

Or is it because Hendo has not been the deepest Midfielder  ;)

It's the combination of Wijnaldum and Keita.

Edit: Oh, and Alisson helps too!!!
      « Last Edit: Aug 23, 2018 02:27:58 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #76: Sep 22, 2018 01:13:01 pm
      We need a money model to lead the game like COUTINHO !!

Insightful.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #77: Sep 22, 2018 10:47:50 pm
      Watched the game again, and having Shaqiri part of our midfield 3 gives us the same dimension and threat we had with Coutinho or Ox, someone from midfield who can create, play between or break through the lines. I don't see why he shouldn't be one of our main starters, especially in the bigger matches where there are more spaces to exploit/attack during transition.

On Keita,  it's kinda weird, whilst it's a box-box role, he is far too left for my liking, sometimes a left sided attacking midfielder? I don't think it suits him and perhaps the reason why Keita hasn't really settled in? I still think we will see the best in him when he is more centrally in a double pivot or as the 6 in a midfield 3. Would also be interesting to see him play like how Shaqiri played today too.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #78: Sep 22, 2018 11:56:08 pm
      I think what we've seen already in just a handful of games is what a lot of us expected. And that is a variety of combinations and a varied style from the three selected.

We've already seen;

Keita - Wijnaldum - Milner
      Milner - Henderson - Wijnaldum
      Henderson - Shaqiri - Wijnaldum

And all three have been in a different type of three man midfield. As PurpleMonkey states above, when Keita has played he's been more wide left than anybody else whereas the three of Milner, Henderson and Wijnaldum (especially against PSG) was more interchanging and then today's saw the central figure, Shaqiri, more advanced in a more free role as opposed to deeper which is usually the case with the central player.

So I think, again as many expected, it would take a while for Klopp to settle on a three and probably won't have a regular three man midfield for most of the season. There will still be his favoured three, which from the early signs looks to be Milner - Henderson - Wijnaldum (now that Henderson's fitness is nearer where Jürgen wants it to be) but we'll probably see as many different midfields as we will that of Jimmy, Jordy and Gini. And of course as the likes of Keita, Fabinho and Shaqiri get adjusted to what Jürgen expects from them, his favoured three will probably change.

Such an enjoyable problem for us to mull over because whichever we look at it, we're leaving quality players out and we're leaving players out who are actually in good form because they have to be otherwise it's an easy decision for the manager. Who'd of thought competition for places would bring the best out of people?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #79: Oct 04, 2018 01:14:16 pm
      I missed the game last night but have seen a few mention that the three of Hendo, Gini and Milner didn't work and offered little.

From what I've seen when these three play together as a three I'd agree and while all very good footballers they don't play well together and I hope we learn a lesson from that.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #80: Oct 04, 2018 02:19:31 pm
      At the moment we've too many midfielders that can play in the 6 or 8 position and none that effectively play the 10.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #81: Oct 04, 2018 03:34:19 pm
      We need a Lallana type but not Lallana! We need someone like Coutinho, Fekir, etc.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #82: Oct 04, 2018 03:42:16 pm
      We need a Lallana type but not Lallana! We need someone like Coutinho, Fekir, etc.

Whatever you want to call it the midfield 3, be it 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, has 3 parts to it.
      Be that a 6, 8 & 10, 2 no 6's with a 10, or a 6 with 2 no 8's we seem to have too many options for the 6 and not enough for the 10.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #83: Oct 04, 2018 05:00:13 pm
      The Ox injury has been been a terrible outcome for our midfield.

Gini and Hendo are pretty poor at connecting the midfield with the front 3. Milner can do this but has looked like he is running out of gas recently.

Knowing Ox is out for the season and Lallana’s injury issues we took a big gamble in not going in for another attacking mid once we dropped our interest in Fekir.

Last night like in other previous  big games showed the template in beating us when the incumbent midfielders are on the pitch, press aggressively and get the CB’s punting aimless long balls to our forwards.
      The lack of technique and inability to run with the ball creates a huge discord between midfield and attack.

A way round this would be to change from the 443 but Klopp seems wedded to this system even when it’s obvious things are not going well.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #84: Oct 04, 2018 06:29:23 pm
      At the moment we've too many midfielders that can play in the 6 or 8 position and none that effectively play the 10.

Agree.

I'd be tempered to give Shaqiri a couple of games there.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #85: Oct 04, 2018 06:36:07 pm

A way round this would be to change from the 443 but Klopp seems wedded to this system even when it’s obvious things are not going well.

If I was allowed to play 11 outfield players as a manager I wouldn't chance a thing either  ;)

danaxe
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #86: Oct 04, 2018 06:50:07 pm
      I would like to see us try 4-2-3-1

Trent - Gomez - VVD - Robbo
                 xxxxx  - xxxxx
      Salah    -   Bobby -    Mane
                      Danny

xxxxx = Any of Hendo/Gini/Keita/Milner/Fabinho - which ever suits the opposition.

Thoughts?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #87: Oct 04, 2018 06:53:34 pm
      If I was allowed to play 11 outfield players as a manager I wouldn't chance a thing either  ;)

Haha was typing on the train at the time.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #88: Oct 04, 2018 07:26:37 pm
      The Ox injury has been been a terrible outcome for our midfield.

Gini and Hendo are pretty poor at connecting the midfield with the front 3. Milner can do this but has looked like he is running out of gas recently.

Knowing Ox is out for the season and Lallana’s injury issues we took a big gamble in not going in for another attacking mid once we dropped our interest in Fekir.

Last night like in other previous  big games showed the template in beating us when the incumbent midfielders are on the pitch, press aggressively and get the CB’s punting aimless long balls to our forwards.
      The lack of technique and inability to run with the ball creates a huge discord between midfield and attack.

Yeah. I really miss that force and aggression that Ox gives us. I doubt you can win anything with a midfield consisting of Hendo and Gini together.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #89: Oct 04, 2018 07:46:08 pm
      I would like to see us try 4-2-3-1

Trent - Gomez - VVD - Robbo
                 xxxxx  - xxxxx
      Salah    -   Bobby -    Mane
                      Danny

xxxxx = Any of Hendo/Gini/Keita/Milner/Fabinho - which ever suits the opposition.

Thoughts?

I would play Shaq over Bobby I'm very unimpressed with Bobby so far this season.

All the talk is over Salah's form but in my opinion Firmino is playing far poorer.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #90: Oct 04, 2018 08:05:41 pm
      Yeah. I really miss that force and aggression that Ox gives us. I doubt you can win anything with a midfield consisting of Hendo and Gini together.

Shaq could play that role. He doesn't have the pace of Ox but his trickery and attacking intent could tilt the balance back to us being on the front foot. That's what we need, even if we get beat by City. Get back to swamping teams with waves of attacks. If Klopp keeps swapping Hendo/Keita/Fabinho/Milner/Gini......back and forth..in and out we will splutter and fail to reach the high attacking levels needed to impose ourselves.

We don't want to mess up our great start by not attacking enough. Get Shaq in there, he'll screw up a few times but he goes for it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #91: Nov 06, 2018 08:04:21 pm
      I think without Ox and probably Keita not being ready 433 no longer works for us with the midfield we currently have available there just looks like a too big a gap between midfield and the forwards.

Lallana is capable of playing there but it’s obvious my grandma has more pace than him.

Today was a great example of mainly Milner trying to find someone in that space but from deep it is always likely to be cut out.

Quick Reply