Trending Topics

Pre-Match: Leicester City V Liverpool (01/09/18 - 12:30)

Read 10713 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Pre-Match: Leicester City V Liverpool (01/09/18 - 12:30)
      Aug 29, 2018 09:07:18 am

If we can go into the International break with 4 from 4 that would be incredible especially with that including away wins at Palace and Leicester - two very difficult grounds.

I expect Hendo to come back in for this but not sure who drops out. Time for the front three to dazzle with two quiet performances overall in the last two outings! 3-1 Reds!  :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Pre-Match: Leicester City V Liverpool (01/09/18 - 12:30)
      Reply #1: Aug 29, 2018 09:34:41 am

If we can go into the International break with 4 from 4 that would be incredible especially with that including away wins at Palace and Leicester - two very difficult grounds.

I expect Hendo to come back in for this but not sure who drops out. Time for the front three to dazzle with two quiet performances overall in the last two outings! 3-1 Reds!  :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:

I agree Leicester away has been a tricky ground for us but they are without Vardy and Mahrez plus we are a much improved side, more solid at the back and still with a deadly attack which will click back into gear for this.

Leicester away:
      2014 1-3 to us
      2016 2-0 to them
      2017 3-1 to them
      2017 2-3 to us
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,142 posts | 257 
      Reply #2: Aug 29, 2018 09:54:58 am
      Not sure what happen to Gini as no picture of him in yesterday training but I think if he's fit it's more likely Klopp play him as Gini  developing his game so well as no.6.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #3: Aug 29, 2018 09:58:53 am
      I would like to see Milner dropped for this one, he has many attributes but lack of ability in tight spaces means his tendency to drop wide and deep means the front 3 are isolated of quick ball.

The link between midfield and the front 3 along with the forwards not being at their best is the missing piece of rhythm that Klopp mentions frequently.

Maybe Shaq for Mane too give him some game time Anfield make sure he is match sharp.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,272 posts | 761 
      Reply #4: Aug 29, 2018 10:17:38 am
      This fixture tends to go either way, hopefully another win for the Reds.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #5: Aug 29, 2018 01:18:13 pm
      Leicester looked good so far and i think the next 2 games will be a big test for us.  Will be very happy if we keep clean sheets in both.

YNWA
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,170 posts | 6344 
      Reply #6: Aug 29, 2018 02:01:51 pm
      Simple as this...if we are title contenders...these are the games we win. Might as well make that my tagline, because every game is a game we have to win to chase off City.

Another clean sheet, 2 goals for us.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #7: Aug 29, 2018 02:05:35 pm
      Klopp said there will most likely be changes vs Leicester as some players looked tired. I expect Hendo to come in for either Keita or Milner with Wijnaldum moving in as the 8, perhaps another change too?
      « Last Edit: Aug 29, 2018 02:12:06 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Aug 29, 2018 02:08:24 pm
      Wouldn't be surprised if we he Henderson come in to the midfield 3
      with also some rotation in the front 3. Firmino or Salah for Sturridge or Shaqiri.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 318 posts | 80 
      Reply #9: Aug 29, 2018 02:10:22 pm
      I would like to see Milner dropped for this one
      This message board votes Milner "MOTM" or top 3 in every game....yet he should be dropped for this one because he's lacking in certain areas?
      Huh?
      Does he get any credit for participation in 3 clean sheets?

Though not part of Leicester's DNA, I expect offensively depleted Leicester to park the bus against LFC similar to  Liverpool's past two opponents ....thus requiring a skilled wide player to deliver the ball.

Liverpool fans need to get used to the bus parking approach. Liverpool proved last year they decisively win run and gun shootouts (City, Roma, etc)

Regarding midfield play, I want to see Keita carry the ball through the center, deeper into the defensive ranks forcing the back 4 to commit...opening up lanes for the front 3 and creating space on the wings....where Milner can thrive.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #10: Aug 29, 2018 02:34:46 pm
      This message board votes Milner "MOTM" or top 3 in every game....yet he should be dropped for this one because he's lacking in certain areas?
      Huh?
      Does he get any credit for participation in 3 clean sheets?

Though not part of Leicester's DNA, I expect offensively depleted Leicester to park the bus against LFC similar to  Liverpool's past two opponents ....thus requiring a skilled wide player to deliver the ball.

Liverpool fans need to get used to the bus parking approach. Liverpool proved last year they decisively win run and gun shootouts (City, Roma, etc)

Regarding midfield play, I want to see Keita carry the ball through the center, deeper into the defensive ranks forcing the back 4 to commit...opening up lanes for the front 3 and creating space on the wings....where Milner can thrive.

What has the opinion of whatever this board thinks got to do with anything?

Sometimes you have to look beyond who is the best player and who has had a decent game and think about what is best for the team dynamics.

Who would argue that Firmino is a better clinical striker than Sturridge?..........yet Firmino is first choice.

Milner does plenty of good things like yes he puts in a shift, clatters into the opposition (usually because he is beaten for pace) and covers a lot for Trent bombing forward.

However as an attacking mid maybe you can enlighten me what is his role in midfield?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11: Aug 29, 2018 02:47:31 pm
      7 a side

Team A: Mignolet, Robertson, Van Dijk, Keita, Jones, Sturridge and first-team fitness coach Conall Murtagh.

Team B: Grabara, Matip, Alexander-Arnold, Milner, Origi, Shaqiri, Camacho.

Team C: Kelleher, Phillips, Moreno, Henderson, Lallana, Salah, Mane.

Team D: Alisson, Gomez, Clyne, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Solanke, Firmino.

Not sure where to put this, but I assume it's preparations for the next match. Guess which team won?!

https://streamable.com/opmfl
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 318 posts | 80 
      Reply #12: Aug 29, 2018 03:59:58 pm
      What has the opinion of whatever this board thinks got to do with anything?

Sometimes you have to look beyond who is the best player and who has had a decent game and think about what is best for the team dynamics.

Who would argue that Firmino is a better clinical striker than Sturridge?..........yet Firmino is first choice.

Milner does plenty of good things like yes he puts in a shift, clatters into the opposition (usually because he is beaten for pace) and covers a lot for Trent bombing forward.

However as an attacking mid maybe you can enlighten me what is his role in midfield?
      The "slow, clattering" object of your derision has been the near consensus best/mvp on the pitch through 3 games.....delivering accurate crosses and making defiant tackles. The most trusted veteran presence for LFC.....crystal clear during CL play.
      « Last Edit: Aug 29, 2018 04:04:58 pm by Borg »
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #13: Aug 29, 2018 04:04:29 pm
      I think we will likely see one minor change for this match -- Hendo will come on for Milner.  This will push Gini into a #8 role alongside Keita and Jordan will slot in as the #6. 

From what I can recall, Klopp does not have a great record against Puel.  Didn't we fail to beat Southampton across 4 games the year he was in charge there?  Puel set them up to stay tight, defend deep, and hit us on the counter with long and direct passing.  From what I've seen of Leicester this year, they have been playing a more expansive style, but I won't be surprised to see Puel revert to a more direct, long-ball tactic for this match.  I think we will win and extend our perfect start to the season, but this one has me more worried than the other matches so far. 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #14: Aug 29, 2018 04:19:24 pm
      The "slow, clattering" object of your derision has been the near consensus best/mvp on the pitch through 3 games.....delivering accurate crosses and making defiant tackles. The most trusted veteran presence for LFC.....crystal clear during CL play.

Just as I thought you can’t really answer what I asked.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,675 posts | 3696 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #15: Aug 29, 2018 06:59:32 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

I'm not the manager but I would play like this.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,170 posts | 6344 
      Reply #16: Aug 29, 2018 07:24:17 pm
      7 a side

Team A: Mignolet, Robertson, Van Dijk, Keita, Jones, Sturridge and first-team fitness coach Conall Murtagh.

Not sure where to put this, but I assume it's preparations for the next match. Guess which team won?!

That was awesome...I'd paid to watch that in person.

Notice Migs was still slow as ever to release the ball...Lallana barking at him :lmao:

Boys look sharp for the most part. I'd hate to mark Lallana I know that....dang he's slippery with the ball.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,070 posts | 8516 
      Reply #17: Aug 29, 2018 07:50:08 pm
      7 a side

https://twitter.com/GWijnaldum/status/1034539943887077377
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #18: Aug 29, 2018 08:52:57 pm
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #19: Aug 29, 2018 09:22:27 pm
      They played mediocre the last two games. That won't be good enough a 3rd time. Substitute Wijnaldum or Milner with Shaq!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,684 posts | 3359 
      Reply #20: Aug 29, 2018 09:25:38 pm
      They played mediocre the last two games. That won't be good enough a 3rd time. Substitute Wijnaldum or Milner with Shaq!

Shaqiri doesn’t play in the same area of the pitch as both Gini and Milner - that doesn’t also take into account how superb they were last game. Shaqiri I can see taking Manes place
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #21: Aug 30, 2018 02:12:05 pm
      Shaqiri doesn’t play in the same area of the pitch as both Gini and Milner - that doesn’t also take into account how superb they were last game. Shaqiri I can see taking Manes place

Sure? Shaq plays more offensively and that's why I like him over Gini and Milli plus he's more vertical. But he's still classic midfield for me, an anchor that distributes balls and initiates attacks. I can't wait to see him gettin his chances to see if Jürgen's love for Gini and Milli is justified because I have doubts it's justified.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #22: Aug 30, 2018 02:14:50 pm

Shaq is very versatile for us, can play either wing in attack or as our CAM. I really hope to see more of him soon.

Quick Reply