Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre-Match: Leicester City V Liverpool (01/09/18 - 12:30)

Read 10594 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Re: Pre-Match: Leicester City V Liverpool (01/09/18 - 12:30)
      Reply #23: Aug 30, 2018 02:46:10 pm
      Sure? Shaq plays more offensively and that's why I like him over Gini and Milli plus he's more vertical. But he's still classic midfield for me, an anchor that distributes balls and initiates attacks. I can't wait to see him gettin his chances to see if JĂźrgen's love for Gini and Milli is justified because I have doubts it's justified.

Classic midfield ? Really I don’t think I have ever seen Shaqiri play “classic midfield” and be an anchor and distribute ?! You are talking an Alonso type of player certainly not Shaqiri. At Basle he was a wider player then the same at Bayern , Inter and at Stoke - he created and played from the wider higher roles and sometimes supporting a single striker. The one thing I have noticed with Klopp is he doesn’t fall into “stereotype roles” the players are all fluid - the front three are just a three no set positions and they are happy just to float and be fluid , there is nothing really classic about the style and formations. When Shaqiri plays he will be part of that front three or add to them to make a front four but classic anchoring midfield is something he is not and never will be
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #24: Aug 30, 2018 02:55:56 pm
      Classic midfield ? Really I don’t think I have ever seen Shaqiri play “classic midfield” and be an anchor and distribute ?! You are talking an Alonso type of player certainly not Shaqiri. At Basle he was a wider player then the same at Bayern , Inter and at Stoke - he created and played from the wider higher roles and sometimes supporting a single striker. The one thing I have noticed with Klopp is he doesn’t fall into “stereotype roles” the players are all fluid - the front three are just a three no set positions and they are happy just to float and be fluid , there is nothing really classic about the style and formations. When Shaqiri plays he will be part of that front three or add to them to make a front four but classic anchoring midfield is something he is not and never will be

I think he was refering to Milner and Gini as the classic midfielders and how they are more suited to the 6 than 8.

I think Milner has been fine, and his industrial work has helped immensely towards our solidity in midfield, but I do wonder if we can get away with a more offensive minded player in midfield along side, Keita and Wijnaldum.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #25: Aug 30, 2018 04:13:20 pm
      The "slow, clattering" object of your derision has been the near consensus best/mvp on the pitch through 3 games.....delivering accurate crosses and making defiant tackles. The most trusted veteran presence for LFC.....crystal clear during CL play.

Have you been taking lessons from the forum stalwart Stuey in writing your posts?

:D ;)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #26: Aug 30, 2018 07:30:35 pm
      Think its inevitable JĂźrgen will tweak the midfield maybe even the front 3,

No one deserves to be dropped, however, i do think shaking things up a tad is healthy and will keep em keen,

I'd go with this..........

Allisson
            Trent    Gomez  Virgil   Robertson
                                Henderson
                   Wijnaldom            Keita
               Salah       Sturridge     Mane

Bench; Mignolet, Clyne, Matip, Milner,
                        Lallana , Firmino, Shaqiri

Reluctantly put in Migs, just hope to F**k we won't need him, anyhoo,  thought Bobby looked a tad jaded against Brighton, and Milner as brilliant as he has been both need a wee rest,
      Thought like most Sturridge was very sharp pre-season so he comes in for Bobby,
      Don't want change too much so early but i do think the likes of Lallana Shaqiri and Clyney will be pivotal so id like to see them get game time albeit from the bench,

Despite Leicester being without Vardy & Mahrez they still pose a very difficult hurdle,  but in saying that i still feel confident of a win.

0-2 Mighty Redmen

YNWA
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #27: Aug 30, 2018 07:40:59 pm
      Think its inevitable JĂźrgen will tweak the midfield maybe even the front 3,

No one deserves to be dropped, however, i do think shaking things up a tad is healthy and will keep em keen,

I'd go with this..........

Allisson
            Trent    Gomez  Virgil   Robertson
                                Henderson
                   Wijnaldom            Keita
               Salah       Sturridge     Mane

Bench; Mignolet, Clyne, Matip, Milner,
                        Lallana , Firmino, Shaqiri

Reluctantly put in Migs, just hope to f**k we won't need him, anyhoo,  thought Bobby looked a tad jaded against Brighton, and Milner as brilliant as he has been both need a wee rest,
      Thought like most Sturridge was very sharp pre-season so he comes in for Bobby,
      Don't want change too much so early but i do think the likes of Lallana Shaqiri and Clyney will be pivotal so id like to see them get game time albeit from the bench,

Despite Leicester being without Vardy & Mahrez they still pose a very difficult hurdle,  but in saying that i still feel confident of a win.

0-2 Mighty Redmen

YNWA

A lot of people seem to want Hendo as our 6 regardless of how good Wijnaldum has played, is that because you guys want a more direct approach?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #28: Aug 30, 2018 07:55:12 pm
      A lot of people seem to want Hendo as our 6 regardless of how good Wijnaldum has played, is that because you guys want a more direct approach?

Fair question as to whether Hendo, if he starts, plays back or more forward
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #29: Aug 30, 2018 08:18:59 pm
      Fair question as to whether Hendo, if he starts, plays back or more forward

With space and time, I think Hendo is better. He actually shifts the ball quicker and likes to play long into wide areas or behind the lines which is very good for starting quick attacks. Wijnaldum seems to perfer the more patient approach and likes to keep the ball ticking within a 5-10 yard radius. However, when pressed, Wijnaldum is no doubt better in every way, from dribbling, composure to awareness.

Re-watching CP and Brighton for the one millionth time, there were occasions where Hendo would have been the better option, but then other sticky situations where he wouldn't have done so well imo.

I guess we all know the strengths and weaknesses of both players, but with it going so well, should we actually change the hub of the team? Wouldn't it be better if we did a like for like change, Hendo for Milner?
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1633 
      Reply #30: Aug 30, 2018 08:39:24 pm
      As well as Gini has played if you look at the stats he has not been direct enough and Hendo and even more so Fabinho will be better in that role
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #31: Aug 30, 2018 09:29:59 pm
      What is this garbage about people putting Henderson in our first 11. Haven't we proved with 3/3 that we don't need his negativity?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #32: Aug 30, 2018 09:52:51 pm
      What is this garbage about people putting Henderson in our first 11. Haven't we proved with 3/3 that we don't need his negativity?

Go look at Gini's passing when he was in the 6...backwards/sideways...nothing more; once Henderson came on he went up top and got a lot more creative and expansive.

Hendo is very good at turning play and launching it out wide and the only reason he has been coming in as a sub is the world cup lag and the gaffer is slowly bringing him back.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #33: Aug 30, 2018 09:55:45 pm

Once fit the club captain will be one of the first names on the team sheet , unfortunately some will always fail to realise how good a player he is

Calling him “negative” is blatantly false and most of the times is down to a lack of understanding of his role and what he does for the team.

When Fabinho is used to the pace of the Prem the midfield three of Henderson , Fabinho and Keita will be a superb spine and provide a lot of balance , control and creativity.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #34: Aug 30, 2018 10:20:41 pm
      Gini has been oustanding, dropping him for Hendo would be stupid
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #35: Aug 30, 2018 10:27:47 pm

He wouldn’t be “dropped”

People only get dropped when they have bad games - it’s called rotating the squad to keep them fresh - long season ahead , big games and all the players are going to be needed.

It always makes me laugh when people say that players are dropped when it’s just a manager rotating players
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #36: Aug 30, 2018 10:40:51 pm
      He wouldn’t be “dropped”

People only get dropped when they have bad games - it’s called rotating the squad to keep them fresh - long season ahead , big games and all the players are going to be needed.

It always makes me laugh when people say that players are dropped when it’s just a manager rotating players

Yeah, if Klopp "dropped" a player i don't think they would ever make the bench or even train with others.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #37: Aug 30, 2018 10:43:17 pm
      Once fit the club captain will be one of the first names on the team sheet , unfortunately some will always fail to realise how good a player he is

Calling him “negative” is blatantly false and most of the times is down to a lack of understanding of his role and what he does for the team.

When Fabinho is used to the pace of the Prem the midfield three of Henderson , Fabinho and Keita will be a superb spine and provide a lot of balance , control and creativity.

Two DM's at the same time, why??
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #38: Aug 30, 2018 10:46:39 pm
      He wouldn’t be “dropped”

He has had a weeks rest, define fresh please?
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1633 
      Reply #39: Aug 30, 2018 10:53:50 pm

Look we get you don't rate him but if you honestly think Gini is a better 6 than Henderson you are deluded
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #40: Aug 30, 2018 10:59:44 pm
      Two DM's at the same time, why??

Umm what’s all this DM business? Both Fabinho and Henderson are capable of sitting as well moving forward to support both the full backs or whoever the forward midfielder is - Klopp doesn’t have three defined midfielders into three roles , they are fluid and interchangeable - too many people play football manager these days
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,480 posts | 3285 
      Reply #41: Aug 30, 2018 11:03:35 pm
      He has had a weeks rest, define fresh please?

Define Fresh - sure

fresh

adjective

(of food) recently made or obtained; not tinned, frozen, or otherwise preserved.
      "fresh fruit"
      synonyms:   newly harvested, garden-fresh, not stale, crisp, firm, unwilted, unfaded;

not previously known or used; new or different.
      "the court had heard fresh evidence"
      synonyms:   new, brand new, recent, latest, up to date, modern, modernistic, ultra-modern, newfangled;

adverb
      newly; recently.
      "fresh-baked bread"

Happy to help

If you really don’t understand the definition of fresh in regards a footballer and their fitness then I’m afraid there is no hope you
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #42: Aug 30, 2018 11:09:29 pm
      Far to much fuss over Henderson. He is not an automatic pick, but you could say that about the rest of the midfield. All this stuff about negativity is also a leftover reaction to the comparison made him and Gerrard. Hendo was always on a hiding to nothing from the fans due to taking over the pinnacle  of midfield and to a lesser extent, the captaincy.

Henderson is what he is. A reliable solid dependable holding midfielder, fairly one dimensional. You know what your getting with him so why carry on moaning and bitching over stuff Henderson almost never delivers. Judge him on what he does do. And remember all midfield players go sideways from time to time.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #43: Aug 30, 2018 11:32:37 pm
      Umm what’s all this DM business? Both Fabinho and Henderson are capable of sitting as well moving forward to support both the full backs or whoever the forward midfielder is - Klopp doesn’t have three defined midfielders into three roles , they are fluid and interchangeable - too many people play football manager these days

Yup. In Klopp's system, at various points of the match you'll see each of the three central midfield players be the one to drop back almost even with the center backs to receive the ball. Now when we're defending, Henderson is typically the one positioned closest to our goal, but as you say, our attacking system is much more fluid than that.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #44: Aug 30, 2018 11:39:53 pm
      Look we get you don't rate him but if you honestly think Gini is a better 6 than Henderson you are deluded

They are different. Wijnaldum is more paitent, press resistant and controlling, also a better footballer. Hendo on the other hand is quite the opposite, he is a more direct player and initiate attacks quicker.

Defensive wise, I am not sure who is better as we have only seen Wijnaldum play in the deeper role 6 times! Also, both are just as fit, strong and quick as each other.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #45: Aug 31, 2018 02:10:01 am

Quick Reply