Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leicester?

Alisson
      3 (2.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (0.8%)
      Joe Gomez
      77 (61.1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      6 (4.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      16 (12.7%)
      James Milner
      5 (4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (0.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      4 (3.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      9 (7.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (2.4%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: Sep 05, 2018 02:22:44 pm

Leicester City 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29549 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Leicester City 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #529: Sep 02, 2018 03:24:11 pm

That's your choice mate and fair enough.

Without meaning to come across as an arsehole though, every manager who has had Henderson in their squad has played him.

I don't know about you, but that says a lot to me, and pretty much backs up my own opinion.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #530: Sep 02, 2018 03:34:52 pm
      That does makes sense.
      I strongly disagree.

Disagree with who Jürgen or Brendan or Southgate? because they all see his talent and what he brings to the team.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #531: Sep 02, 2018 03:40:07 pm
      Hey if you ask Brazilians who the best player in the world was Half would go for Pele the other half would say it that it was Garrincha... So who is wrong and who is right..??

BBC Storyville 2002 Gods Of Brazil Pele And Garrincha
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csij7c1s_jY
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #532: Sep 02, 2018 04:01:39 pm
      Because Chamberlain is injured and Fabinho is not ready.
      What is so difficult to comprehend?

What about Lallana or even playing Shaq as the AM. There are plenty of options now in midfield so I also don't see how Henderson is the answer.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #533: Sep 02, 2018 04:05:56 pm
      I am sick of this Henderson bashing. Steven Gerrard couldn't do the job Hendo does because he never had the discipline. I have seen Klopp with Hendo he really appreciates the fact that this lad puts his team first and carries out his managers orders to perfection.
      He is never going to be a MOTM candidate week in week out but FFS stop having a go at him for not being Stevie.

And I am sick of the Henderson praising, just because he's a nice guy who works hard. To say Stevie G couldn't pass the ball 5 yards sideways and backwards for a whole match and do the occasional forward pass and tackle is rather insulting I think.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #534: Sep 02, 2018 04:09:36 pm
      I am sick of this Henderson bashing. Steven Gerrard couldn't do the job Hendo does because he never had the discipline. I have seen Klopp with Hendo he really appreciates the fact that this lad puts his team first and carries out his managers orders to perfection.
      He is never going to be a MOTM candidate week in week out but FFS stop having a go at him for not being Stevie.

If Gerrard had played as our 6 from the age for 25/26, I would have no doubts he would have the discipline and hit world class levels :)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #535: Sep 02, 2018 04:16:43 pm
      If Gerrard had played as our 6 from the age for 25/26, I would have no doubts he would have the discipline and hit world class levels :)

Doubtful IMO

I remember a big Gerrard shaped hole in our midfield in the first half in 2005, that Milan kept running through at will.

The game changed second half because we brought on Hamman and moved Gerrard up front, and of course he was magnificent further up.

He was an exceptional player, but positional discipline wasn't a strong point.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #536: Sep 02, 2018 04:28:01 pm
      And I am sick of the Henderson praising, just because he's a nice guy who works hard. To say Stevie G couldn't pass the ball 5 yards sideways and backwards for a whole match and do the occasional forward pass and tackle is rather insulting I think.

utterly clueless.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #537: Sep 02, 2018 04:29:42 pm

No he was never disciplined right to the end remember him being sent off in the Derby after coming on as a sub.
      He was the player he was because he wasn't disciplined to restrict him would have been to diminish his incredible talents.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #538: Sep 02, 2018 05:17:25 pm
      No he was never disciplined right to the end remember him being sent off in the Derby after coming on as a sub.
      He was the player he was because he wasn't disciplined to restrict him would have been to diminish his incredible talents.

Ach, i dunno Walt, in Ste's earlier yrs I'd agree with you mate but, i think his discipline was pretty sound, especially since he got the armband, 
      His moments of ill-discipline were in high end encounters like the derby and against the Munts, where the intensity is higher than in normal games, but i have to say he led by example for the most part hence being the leader and captain we all loved,
      How many times did he save our bacon almost single handledly, while keeping his composure?

Of course he had the occasional brain fart, who didn't ?

YNWA
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #539: Sep 02, 2018 05:25:48 pm

Ach, i dunno Walt, in Ste's earlier yrs I'd agree with you mate but, i think his discipline was pretty sound, especially since he got the armband, 
      His moments of ill-discipline were in high end encounters like the derby and against the Munts, where the intensity is higher than in normal games, but i have to say he led by example for the most part hence being the leader and captain we all loved,
      How many times did he save our bacon almost single handledly, while keeping his composure?

Of course he had the occasional brain fart, who didn't ?

YNWA

He was a force of nature it was because of this he was never tied down to a position really if you remember Rafa tried but gave up. Henderson has the ability to carry out the managers orders on the pitch that's why Jürgen likes him and so does Southgate plus all the world cup pundits.
       He doesn't do the spectacular he does the necessary which mean we can have Firmino, Mane and Mo on the pitch at the same time.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #540: Sep 02, 2018 06:03:12 pm

Gerrard being sent off has nothing to do with being tactically disciplined. Remember him having to play right back in a certain match? There has also been times where he was in a 2 man midfield with Alonso in big matches.

Sorry to disagree, but I would bet my life had he played as our 6 under Klopp at the age of 25-28, he would be bossing it like no other player in world football.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #541: Sep 02, 2018 10:55:58 pm
      So, I have watched the replay of the game and I can''t  imagine how our defence was able to soak up the pressure for 45 minutes. Everything went passed our midfield to their wingers. Our defence has become stronger and they will be in the coming games and we haven;t given them enough credit in this game while Leicester is a very good team and many teams will struggle going there.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #542: Sep 03, 2018 12:14:29 am
      So no mention so far that Becker was actually fouled leading up to their goal???
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #543: Sep 03, 2018 12:44:39 am
      I am glad Joe Gomez got the recognition he deserves for this match because he was immense.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #544: Sep 03, 2018 02:16:10 am
      First things first. I wasn't happy with the starting line up. I'm a firm believer of never changing a winning team so when I saw that Jürgen had brought Henderson into the 11 and especially at the expense of Keita I was very disappointed. Gini has been excellent in the 6 for us and Keita has also been bossing games so why change it?

I was pleased with how we started the game. The first 20 minutes or so we were completely on top. I thought the football was good, possession play was good and we deservedly took the lead.

Leicester grew into the game after that and became the better team. That said, I was impressed with our shape and how well drilled we were. It's so refreshing to see a Liverpool team that I can now describe as 'solid'. For years we've been too weak and too feeble but I never felt like Leicester were going to trouble us despite them pressing and having a few half chances. You don't always need to have possession to control the game. The opposition can have as much of the ball as they like but it's irrelevant if they can't do anything with it. We were still in control and when Bobby made it 2-0 then I thought it was game over.

The second half we were on the ropes at times and a crazy mistake by alisson let them back into the game. He's lucky we won the match because if that mistake had cost us the points then he would have come in in for all kinds of criticism with huge pressure on his shoulders going into the next fixture at Spurs. I had enough of seeing Mignolet doing cruyff turns and silly sh*te like that so I don't want to see it again with Becker. Ridiculous thing to do. Learn from it and move on.

We held on with some last ditch tackling at times but yet again we showed a different side to us that we haven't seen for years. This team is full of grit and determination with leaders all over the pitch now. They were prepared to battle to get the 3 points so for that, they deserve a lot of credit.  Apart from the first 20 minutes the football wasn't anywhere near our best but we dug in and showed a lot of team spirit to get the win. This is the type of game that a year or two ago we'd have drawn or even lost. This is also the type of game that city, Chelsea, united etc always seem to get over the line and hang on but we never could. Who knows, in a few months time we might be looking back on this game and realising how massive and significant the win was for us.

Want to give joe Gomez a mention who I think was immense. He's been immense every game so far in truth and he looks so comfortable next to VVD, it's like they've been playing for years. For me, he has cemented that position as his own now. I feel a lot more calm when he's in the team than I do with Lovren. In my opinion, yesterday is exactly the type of game where Lovren would lose concentration or flap under pressure. Gomez was brilliant and just like VVD, im struggling to see a weakness in his game.

Moving on to Henderson. Didn't want to bash anybody after a hard fought win but I thought he was dreadful once again and the team suffered because of him. With his sideways and backwards passing it allowed Leicester to push forward and press us and we struggled to get out of our half at times. I don't remember him doing anything good, I really don't. I can't remember one positive thing about him.

So henderson had a poor game himself and gini also had a poor game because he was taken out of the position and role he has flourished in recently. I thought that was a bizarre move by klopp. Gini has arguably been our best player so far this season playing as the 6 so why change it just to accomdate Jordan Henderson who isn't exactly a world beater is he? Gini has looked more comfortable in the 6 in these last few games than Jordan Henderson ever has! It just seemed madness to me why Jürgen would change that.

Gini is much better in possession than Henderson and he is much, much smarter on the ball and with his decision making and I thought that was evident yesterday. The difference was there to see.

It was also painfully obvious how much we missed Keita too. So was playing Henderson really necessary? No. Shouldn't have started and I don't want to see that midfield three line up for us again unless we have an injury crisis. So please Jürgen put Gini back as the 6 and get Keita back into the team.

Anyway, top of the f**king league. Well done reds.
      « Last Edit: Sep 03, 2018 02:31:33 am by HamannsTheMan »
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #545: Sep 03, 2018 06:53:57 am
      So, I have watched the replay of the game and I can''t  imagine how our defence was able to soak up the pressure for 45 minutes. Everything went passed our midfield to their wingers. Our defence has become stronger and they will be in the coming games and we haven;t given them enough credit in this game while Leicester is a very good team and many teams will struggle going there.

I couldn't agree more, we defended superbly for spells in this match. There was a 15 minute spell in the first half (leading up to our 2nd goal) where we had to weather the storm and again after Alison's error. The lads made important headers, blocked shots, the keeper came and caught balls. Our shape was good, I saw players communicating, I saw midfielders tracking runners (hendo bashers pay attention), centre halves covering for full backs and I particularly liked the way players gave high fives and congratulated each other after a block or a clearance. It's been a feature of the last few games. It's great to see us defending as a team, it's the best we have looked in 10 years or so. We look like we can manage games without the ball at last and that's what title winning teams have to do at times. Really encouraging.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #546: Sep 03, 2018 07:34:57 am
      I couldn't agree more, we defended superbly for spells in this match. There was a 15 minute spell in the first half (leading up to our 2nd goal) where we had to weather the storm and again after Alison's error. The lads made important headers, blocked shots, the keeper came and caught balls. Our shape was good, I saw players communicating, I saw midfielders tracking runners (hendo bashers pay attention), centre halves covering for full backs and I particularly liked the way players gave high fives and congratulated each other after a block or a clearance. It's been a feature of the last few games. It's great to see us defending as a team, it's the best we have looked in 10 years or so. We look like we can manage games without the ball at last and that's what title winning teams have to do at times. Really encouraging.

I don’t think I am a Henderson basher but would like to point out that Henderson was
      Dribbled  past 3 Times in just 70 mins.
      Missed 3/5 Tackles - two of which were 20 yards out from our penalty area.

He was a major reason we were under so much pressure.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #547: Sep 03, 2018 08:08:11 am
      Let’s also not forget it’s no easy task to win away at Leicester.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #548: Sep 03, 2018 08:41:00 am
      Get the F**k in

4 from 4 Top of The League

Stupid F***ing Internationals but it we take the season in segments, break it down like that (would have preferred 5 games), we are right where we would all hope we would be.

Onto the next 6 games.....then we will see after 10....hopefully 10 from 10.  :angel:
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #549: Sep 03, 2018 10:59:31 am
      Very happy with that result!
      A special mention to our back 5, they all played their roles very well. Yes, Alisson had a poor moment, but i expect that he will learn from it, so the next stepover or trick better be at 3-0 up, else just play the ball up field as he did subsequently.
      Joe Gomez, take a bow! I thought he was excellent, and along with Virgil, they are forming a brilliant CB partnership.

Please JK, lets not have that midfield starting for us again...Hendo/Gini/Milner just doesnt work.

4 down 34 more to go.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #550: Sep 03, 2018 11:47:25 am
      Thats a tough game we've won there away at Leicester. A few top 4 hopefulls will go there and drop points i think.

I still don't think we have hit the heights and we can and will play a lot better than we are at the moment.

Salah and Firmino have a few gears to get through yet with Fabinho needing some time to adjust and Keita learning on the job.

It was also good in a weird way that Alisson got tackled. He's known for that type of thing but its high risk and low reward. He got stung and learnt a lesson in a game we went on to win. Hopefully that switches his brain in gear now.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #551: Sep 03, 2018 01:36:14 pm
      So no mention so far that Becker was actually fouled leading up to their goal???

That wasn't a foul for me, he got tackled, made a tit of himself and cost us a goal, sure he's been bollocked for it already by Klopp.

Good win, again thought we were the overall better team, hit them well in the first half, two well taken goals by Mane & Firmino, they got back into it, but we held firm.

Another valuable three points!

Quick Reply