Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leicester?

Alisson
      3 (2.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (0.8%)
      Joe Gomez
      77 (61.1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      6 (4.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      16 (12.7%)
      James Milner
      5 (4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (0.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      4 (3.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      9 (7.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (2.4%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: Sep 05, 2018 02:22:44 pm

Leicester City 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29525 times
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Re: Leicester City 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #552: Sep 03, 2018 04:23:25 pm
      That wasn't a foul for me, he got tackled, made a tit of himself and cost us a goal, sure he's been bollocked for it already by Klopp.

Good win, again thought we were the overall better team, hit them well in the first half, two well taken goals by Mane & Firmino, they got back into it, but we held firm.

Another valuable three points!

And HR other than 1 or 2 saves from Allisson we were largely untroubled.

If we don't give away that stupid goal then it was a very good controlling performance without us playing anywhere near our best.

We are not clicking like we can yet but winning and grinding out results is something we have not been able to do since Rafa I would say.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #553: Sep 03, 2018 06:26:21 pm

If we don't give away that stupid goal then it was a very good controlling performance without us playing anywhere near our best.

We are not clicking like we can yet but winning and grinding out results is something we have not been able to do since Rafa I would say.

What impressed me was that when they pushed up and pressed hard, to try and force us deeper, we kept our shape and held our lines, only going deeper when absolutely necessary and then defending well.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #554: Sep 03, 2018 08:37:53 pm
      Was an ugly win as was Brighton. I've not been that impressed. We had control of the Leicester game for no more than the first 30 minutes. They were on us from then on but didn't have the cutting edge. Might've been different with Mahrez and Vardy out there.

I don't think Klopp is happy either. Mo started last season on the right hand side cutting in and it worked. With the development of TAA and the departure of Coutinho Mo was moved closer to Firmino and that worked just as well if not better.

But with Mo playing inside it puts a lot on TAA. He hasn't done that well so far. Klopp took Mo off and put Shaqiri down the right. Although it wasn't an indication that he would move Mo back out to the right. In these first 4 games Mo has been a little bit off hence the hook.

Mo won't do as well as he did last season no matter where he plays. But if Clyne comes back in I'd say Mo will play wider.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #555: Sep 03, 2018 08:43:10 pm

We came under pressure despite the screw up by Allison. Everyman and his dog knew Allison was going to screw one up and he didn't let anyone down. It was hard work for us and on another day we could've lost.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #556: Sep 03, 2018 09:02:23 pm
      I'm not sure that this International break could prove to be a good thing or bad thing four games into what is shaping up to be, our fiercest assault on the Premier League Trophy.
      I keep seeing the next seven games in my mind and can't help but think how we are not going to lose any of them.
      Our whole attitude and structure has improved so much and has been improving really, since earlier in the year.
      With new blood and growing experience in the ranks we've been a tough nut to crack in these first four games.
      Apart from our new goalkeeper's one mistake we've been pretty water tight at the back.

My worry, like it always is, during International breaks, is the fragmenting and scattering of the squad all over the world.
      It must do Klopp's head in.
      Plus the worry of injury to any of our squad.

For my pennies worth from Saturdays game I thought VVD didn't venture forward enough when he had the ball, instead he squared it, all game. The only time he went over the half way line was when we had a corner. As did Gomez.
      I'm pretty certain that was Klopps robotic instructions for this game away at Leicester.
      Saying that, second half, Leicester swamped our midfield and gave us no space in midfield to work through strangling the front three's supply.
      It was a game that Ox would have ran at them, something Milner, Gini or Hendo didn't do.
      a 4-3-3 formation that Jürgen, when playing that same three in midfield needs to be aware of, i'm sure he will be now.

Something tells me that the Tottenham / PSG games will be totally different.

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #557: Sep 03, 2018 10:04:59 pm
      Biggest take for me from that game was the performance of Joe Gomez. They threw the kitchen sink at him and he just kept clearing and clearing.

They knew van Dijk would chew up Murray and spit him out so they targeted Gomez, who chewed him up and spat him out.

I cannot stress how important Gomez will be to us this Season.

Imagine it had been Lovren alongside van Dijk against Leicester? It would have been a very different outcome indeed.

And the beauty of Gomez is? You won't see him on social media saying he has to be recognised as one of the best defenders in the world, you won't see him taking full credit for our Title win this Season, you won't see him whinging on social media and you won't see an insecure fool lying about an injury because he's scared of being replaced.

May God bless Joe Gomez.

Amen to that.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #558: Sep 04, 2018 12:00:57 am
      That wasn't a foul for me, he got tackled, made a tit of himself and cost us a goal, sure he's been bollocked for it already by Klopp.

Good win, again thought we were the overall better team, hit them well in the first half, two well taken goals by Mane & Firmino, they got back into it, but we held firm.

Fair enough.  The way I saw it was that Becker had his leg cut out before the ball was taken.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #559: Sep 04, 2018 12:53:10 am
      Quote from HUYTON RED

He was clearly shoved off the ball. If he stayed down or appealed, he may have got a free kick, given the extent to which keepers are protected by refs.

If he was playing for the mancs, he would have stayed down, he would have appealed, and he would have got his free kick. And if he didn't, Mourinho would let the world know all about it.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #560: Sep 04, 2018 08:05:58 am
      We came under pressure despite the screw up by Allison. Everyman and his dog knew Allison was going to screw one up and he didn't let anyone down. It was hard work for us and on another day we could've lost.

Yes we are agreeing but looking at it with different spins.

We did come under pressure I agree but we didn't buckle and actual shots we had to save well I can remember only a few.

Without the cock up their crowd is quieter and the players don't have the same self belief.

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #561: Sep 04, 2018 10:22:45 am
      To be fair, they also play Jesus ahead of Firmino.

For what it’s worth though, I’d sill have Allison over Ederson.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #562: Sep 04, 2018 02:32:59 pm
      Quote from Harrisimo
      Was an ugly win as was Brighton. I've not been that impressed.

I don't think Klopp is happy either.

If you're not impressed with being top of the league with a 100% record, what other club has impressed you more?

We went in to get 4 wins, we got them. I don't know about you but I would have taken that after 4 games. Shows the benefits of a good pre-season. Accounting for that, we've won our last 8 games on the trot. We've tightened up at the back, we've won ugly games, we've scored at least twice in 7 of the last 8 games, our leading scorer already has 4 goals. Everyone has settled in, we've hit the ground running, we've had our best start since we last won the league. We even have a nice new proper camera angle at Anfield, while the mancs are in meltdown, and the experts who handed the trophy out to City before a ball was kicked, are having second thoughts. What is there not to be impressed about?
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #563: Sep 04, 2018 03:01:08 pm
      Stumbled across this vid of one of our pre season training sessions a bit earlier, wasn't sure where to share it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ST2xdg1bXQ

Always a joy to watch professional players playing basic possession drills at high speed in tight spaces.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #564: Sep 04, 2018 05:05:24 pm

Me neither, it was the world's slowest Cruyff turn and then he kinda went down a bit easily (possibly from the embarrassment of it all!). Luckily it didn't cost us and we'll now see less of that sort of thing because everything else I've seen from Alisson thus far has impressed me.

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #565: Sep 04, 2018 08:19:03 pm
      So, I have watched the replay of the game and I can''t  imagine how our defence was able to soak up the pressure for 45 minutes. Everything went passed our midfield to their wingers. Our defence has become stronger and they will be in the coming games and we haven;t given them enough credit in this game while Leicester is a very good team and many teams will struggle going there.

What impressed me was that when they pushed up and pressed hard, to try and force us deeper, we kept our shape and held our lines, only going deeper when absolutely necessary and then defending well.

Is right lads, our defence was outstanding.

Becker - 25 years old.

Alexander Arnold - 19 years old.

Robertson - 24 years old.

Gomez - 21 years old.

van Dijk - 27 years old.

They will only get better. To think, had it not been for that howler from Alisson we would have played 4 games and 4 clean sheets.

The defence deserves all the credit thus far, we are a million miles better than last Season and long may it continue.

alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #566: Sep 06, 2018 06:53:51 am
      I think our issue has been that we're not a counter-attacking team; other teams let us have the ball. Our strikers are much better when they have space to run.

What do you think?
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #567: Sep 06, 2018 09:45:07 am
      Was an ugly win as was Brighton. I've not been that impressed.

In themselves the performances other than WH haven’t been impressive.
      What is impressive however is the fact that we’ve taken 12 points from 4 games that over the last few seasons we would have dropped 4-6 points in.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #568: Sep 06, 2018 11:36:52 am
      I think our issue has been that we're not a counter-attacking team; other teams let us have the ball. Our strikers are much better when they have space to run.

What do you think?

Those points don't link up.
      It's a phenomenal counter-attacking team, which is why other teams let LFC have the ball.
      Counter-attacking is breaking at speed into the space behind a team.
      LFC ridiculous at it, which is why teams sit deeper.
      Teams that play high defensive lines tend to get opened up quite easily.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #569: Sep 06, 2018 12:06:30 pm
      I fully expect to see far more scoring opportunities/goals during the compacted 23 day stretch simply because LFC will be playing teams who make offense their priority....Tot, PSG, MNC....and we'll see about Chelsea. We're talking end to end action with over-the-top long balls into space. Tot, PSG, and MNC do not park the bus...they try to outscore. Exciting soccer, reminiscent of LFC's 2018 CL exploits, is about to reappear.
      And......these games are coming every 4 days
      It doesn't get any better.

It has been frustrating watching LFC's recent execution......with the back line controlling the ball far too long, Brendan Rodgers style. So many back passes. This is about change.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #570: Sep 06, 2018 12:44:31 pm
      Those points don't link up.
      It's a phenomenal counter-attacking team, which is why other teams let LFC have the ball.
      Counter-attacking is breaking at speed into the space behind a team.
      LFC ridiculous at it, which is why teams sit deeper.
      Teams that play high defensive lines tend to get opened up quite easily.

My bad, I meant that given that they let us the ball, we cannot counter attack. We have adapted now, and we simply take control of the game at least we try. The issue is that our strikers are not very effective in that system.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #571: Sep 06, 2018 06:53:45 pm
      I fully expect to see far more scoring opportunities/goals during the compacted 23 day stretch simply because LFC will be playing teams who make offense their priority....Tot, PSG, MNC....and we'll see about Chelsea. We're talking end to end action with over-the-top long balls into space. Tot, PSG, and MNC do not park the bus...they try to outscore. Exciting soccer, reminiscent of LFC's 2018 CL exploits, is about to reappear.
      And......these games are coming every 4 days
      It doesn't get any better.

It has been frustrating watching LFC's recent execution......with the back line controlling the ball far too long, Brendan Rodgers style. So many back passes. This is about change.

I like your thinking mate, obviously hope you are right.  Bring this on
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #572: Sep 14, 2018 07:37:22 pm
      Relive the atmosphere on matchday with audio commentary of the best bits of the game.

https://youtu.be/u-kOH-tI5Tk

Quick Reply