Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Stadium work starts in Spring 2008

Read 3559 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,672 posts | 6966 
      Stadium work starts in Spring 2008
      Nov 13, 2007 01:20:31 am
      Spring start for Liverpool FC stadium - to be completed by 2011

WORK is expected to start on Liverpool FC’s iconic £400m new home at Stanley Park as early as spring next year, after the scheme was approved by councillors.

The city’s planning committee unanimously approved the ambitious 60,000 seater stadium, which the club’s US owners vow will be “one of the world’s greatest”.

Last night Liverpool FC chief executive Rick Parry said the approval would allow the club to remain competitive in the Premier League.

Speaking before last night’s Champions League clash against Turkish team Beşiktaş, Mr Parry praised the club’s American owners: “All the credit is down to Tom and George, it is their initiative’’, he said, adding: “Fans and city leaders have been excited.

“We’re setting our sights high. At the end of the day, we want a great team and a great stadium.

“The message for the fans is that it will give us the revenues to make sure we can continue to compete on the pitch.

“That’s the whole purpose of the exercise, its not about building monuments, it’s about generating revenues to make sure we are competitive.”

It comes after it emerged costs of the new stadium had risen to ÂŁ400m; however no-one was available last night to discuss its detailed financing.

Mr Parry said building work was likely to start as early as next spring, provided Communities Secretary Hazel Blears does not intervene to force a judicial review. But he admitted the facility was not likely to be open until a year after initially projected. “The realistic likelihood is that it will now be ready for 2011.”

The revised plans were ordered by Tom Hicks and George Gillett after their takeover of the club earlier this year.

The designs include a single tier new Kop with a capacity of almost 19,000, at an angle of less than 34 degrees to prevent any ‘cliff edge’ seating.

The stadium will also have the ability to eventually be expanded to 76,000 seats, for which a second planning application will have to be submitted in the future.

Mr Parry described the unanimous approval as “gratifying”, adding: “Another hurdle’s been overcome. It’s good news, we’re very pleased.”

But he said: “We still have a period of waiting. We have to see whether the Secretary of State will call the application in. We hope that isn’t the case, the last one wasn’t.

“There is a period where there can be a legal challenge. We believe that, as last time, any objection would be overcome. But we have to let that run its course.

“All told, the judicial review can be around four months. The earliest work could start would be in the spring of next year.

“We’ve let George and Tom know and it’s fair to say they are very pleased. We haven’t had the chance for lengthy discussions just yet. We were always hopeful because the key point is we have an existing planning consent for a 60,000 stadium.

“This was really just to place the amended design in front of the committee. As it is an exciting and innovative design, we would have been disappointed not to get permission but clearly you cannot take anything for granted. It’s clearly good news. What this will give us the ability to do is to build the structure that is capable of taking significantly more than 60,000.

“All this does is give us the capability of opening the stadium with 60,000, so there will be a fol- low-up application for whatever we decide the capacity to be.

“That doesn’t affect the build or design. The impact will be on the transportation and environ- mental assessment which is a lengthy process and a lot of work.”

Objectors' paean to Victorian splendours of Stanley Park fall on deaf ears

PLANNING committee members took four and a half hours to reach their decision after a site visit to Stanley Park yesterday.

The afternoon was spent hearing a stream of objections from more than 20 Anfield residents, who told of the impact of living in the shadow of one of the world’s biggest clubs.

Fears of match day chaos led councillors to recommend a minimum ÂŁ100 parking fine for those who flout restrictions.

Among the objectors was Florence Gersten of the Save Our Cities campaign. She described the plan as “fundamentally wrong” for a prized Victorian park, saying the stadium would be catastrophic.

“I believe this is a lamentable attitude towards North Liverpool. It would be a different story if Liverpool FC wanted to build in Sefton Park,” she said.

Dr Alastair Walker, chairman of Stanley Park Preservation Society, said a third of the green space would be destroyed.

“This scheme does not enhance the park, it degrades it. It is hideous, gross barbaric vandalism which must be rejected,” he said.

George McLelland of the Friends group feared that once the stadium was built it would eventually mean to the loss of even more parkland in future years.

Mike Butler, secretary of Anfield Regeneration Action Committee said the real motive for the new application was because LFC wanted an even bigger stadium than before, accusing officials of obscuring the truth.

“This plan is totally unacceptable,” he said, adding that as there were acceptable brownfield sites, such as one in Speke/Garston, they should be considered.

Jean Hill said it was ironic that plans to build on the Garden Festival site were being examined by a current public inquiry, yet there was no suggestion that the Anfield plan should face such scrutiny. Local artist Frank Green, an Anfield resident for 45 years, told how elderly people had ben forced out of the area to meet the club’s expansion plans.

And Brian Woodbridge, who played football as a boy in Stanley Park, accused the council of handing the park to “Yankee speculators”.

“I would say to them “would you build a stadium in Central Park – of course you wouldn’t, you have more sense,” he said.

Objectors say they will bid to have the plans called in by the Government to force a public inquiry. Cllr Steve Radford, leader of the minority Liberal group on the council attacked the scheme. He said if Everton had wanted to build in Stanley Park the council would have said “No deal”, but officers acted like agents of Liverpool FC when they applied for permission.

Kop was inspiration

GEORGE Gillett and Tom Hicks hired the world’s sixth largest firm of architects to redraw a previously approved stadium plan, for what they want to be the “finest stadium in the world”.

Paul Hyett, chairman of London and Dallas firm Ryder HKS, headed a team of professionals at yesterday’s meeting seeking to win over the hearts and minds of Anfield people.

Rick Parry, chief executive of Liverpool FC, reaffirmed the club’s commitment to the regeneration of the Anfield area, as well as building a new stadium.

He told the meeting at the Oakmere Conference Centre, near the present Anfield ground, how the club was working alongside the city council, the Northwest Regional Development Agency and Government Office NW, to restore Stanley Park and improve the area.

Mr Hyett told how a Liverpool FC game against Barcelona was the inspiration for the new design when the Kop Choir was in full flow.

He said: “My colleagues said they had never seen anything like it.”

He said he immediately had pulled out an envelope containing his wage slip and drew a simple design with a new Kop as a huge ‘theatre’ at one end of the ground.

“I told my colleagues ‘ you could hang this whole design off the Kop’,” added Mr Hyett, former president of RIBA, the Royal Institute of British Architects.

“The new owners said their mission was to create for Liverpool the greatest football stadium in the world, and what we have designed is truly iconic.”

Decision welcomed

BUSINESS and tourism leaders joined fans last night in welcoming the decision.

Jack Stopforth, chief executive of Liverpool Chamber of Commerce, said: “It’s obviously the right decision.

“What’s exciting from the community and business perspective is that it’s a trigger for so much badly needed investment.

“We welcome it and look forward to working with the club.”

Martin King, Director of Tourism at The Mersey Partnership said:

“We know the club has a huge impact on the visitor economy of the Liverpool City Region by attracting a very significant number of staying visitors. The Tourist Board recognised this enormous input by presenting them with a special award for contribution to the visitor economy.

“The new stadium, with its increased capacity, will only add to these numbers.”

But Steve Kelly, founder editor of fanzine Through the Wind and the Rain said: “I am not really sure how positive it is, or if they will be able to fill it – the costs seem to be creeping up too.”

Cllr Steve Radford, leader of the minority Liberal group on the council attacked the scheme. He said if Everton had wanted to build in Stanley Park the council would have said “No deal”, but officers had acted like agents of Liverpool FC when they applied for permission.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2007/11/07/spring-start-for-liverpool-fc-stadium-to-be-completed-by-2011-64375-20071458/

Always tomorrow isn't it!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Stadium work starts in Spring 2008
      Reply #1: Nov 13, 2007 02:02:08 am
      Seems like the green light is still slightly on amber doesn't it.

Interesting to read some comments from the opposition. I was surprised Frank Green was against it, although I believe he's the only one with a truly heartfelt concern and he's not thinking about himself or an organisation.

Dr Alastair Walker, chairman of Stanley Park Preservation Society, said a third of the green space would be destroyed.

“This scheme does not enhance the park, it degrades it. It is hideous, gross barbaric vandalism which must be rejected,” he said.

It degrades it?? Hideous, gross barbaric vandalism?? Shocking statement. What about the Gladstone Conservatory for crying out loud!! That's been vandalised and dormant for years and what have you done about that??!! Not that much until our last plans were in place. Ironic eh. People like that make me sick....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,672 posts | 6966 
      Reply #2: Nov 15, 2007 02:03:51 pm
      At this rate I reckon I will be pushing 40 before the stadium opens, and as Anfield Warrior will testify, I'll have to start getting someone to help me to my seat at that stage of life.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #3: Nov 26, 2007 01:17:22 pm
      I don't really like the look of the blueprints.  It looks more like an Airport/Spaceship to me.  And if it's going to just be 60,000 instead of 75+ IMO we would be better staying at Anfield.

Also if those American 'geniuses' put us in debt.  >:(
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,323 posts | 2855 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #4: Nov 26, 2007 05:27:06 pm
      at this point in time I feel like telling them (hicks and gillette) to take the new stadium and shove it up there arse.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #5: Nov 26, 2007 09:53:39 pm
      Now now. 

There borrowing a lot of money so that we can pay higher ticket prices to pay it off and then to put some profit back in their pockets.

Be nice.  :f_whistle:
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #6: Nov 27, 2007 12:30:03 am
      Now now. 

There borrowing a lot of money so that we can pay higher ticket prices to pay it off and then to put some profit back in their pockets.

Be nice.  :f_whistle:

:laugh: Ever the diplomat KK ;)
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #7: Nov 27, 2007 12:32:38 am
      at this point in time I feel like telling them (hicks and gillette) to take the new stadium and shove it up there arse.

I really couldn't agree more.

So Mr. Hicks and Mr. Gillett, go shove your Airport up your F***ing arse.  You're only here to promote your own agendas. 

We want the chairmen out, say we want the chairmen out!

Quick Reply