Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The 1986 season appreciation thread

Read 4643 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      The 1986 season appreciation thread
      Sep 30, 2018 02:42:30 pm
      Just watching this on LFC TV its an era I went to every home game. We had to hunt down Everton all season we fu**ed up in the League Cup Semi final against QPR at home and then we went to Wembley and made history. This season the away support was just out of this world 12,000 went to Chelsea and it was a time when things on Merseyside were really tough but we had the game to go to by hook or by crook and it wasn't £70 a game then it was sensible about £3 for the KOP.The FA CUP then was a prize that even eciplsed the European Cup for lots of players Jan Molby for one.
      I didnt get to that final but I did spend a very happy time in the Pub with some bluenoses and it wasnt friendly to say the least.
      Cant believe its 32 years ago but that was a time before social media and mobile phones and friendships developed over weeks months and years meeting on the Kop. Wonderful times and I still get goosebumps seening Kenny's goal against Chelsea.
      The final beating Everton for the first time at Wembley was and always will be the most wonderful memory.
       one final thought of that Era is listening to Brian Moores commentary it was perfect
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEqykFnkhPI
      « Last Edit: Sep 30, 2018 02:57:17 pm by waltonl4 »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: The 1986 season appreciation thread
      Reply #1: Sep 30, 2018 03:49:40 pm
      Two good books covering that season:-

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2: Sep 30, 2018 04:02:57 pm
      Love hearing how jocky hansen in the early season told kenny it was the worst Liverpool team he had played in
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Sep 30, 2018 04:23:51 pm
      Bosz idea for a topic.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4: Sep 30, 2018 04:43:11 pm
      Love hearing how jocky hansen in the early season told kenny it was the worst Liverpool team he had played in

and then they made him a pundit. Kenny playing in the run in proved to be pivotal due to Paul Walsh's injury. I meet Jan Molby now and then when he is walking his Dog he is the most laid back bloke you could wish to meet and always happy to chat about football.
      Football then for many people was the only light at the end of a very dark weekly tunnel.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #5: Oct 01, 2018 07:40:28 am
      Who could forget the goal Kenny scored at Chelsea to win the league in 1986.Then we took Everton apart at Wembley to get the double.Memories that will stay with so many other memories till the day I kick the bucket.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #6: Oct 01, 2018 09:11:41 am
      Will never forget that season ever,just started my first real serious relationship as a 17 yeat old ,wasn't arsed about girls around that time  footie and knocking about with my mates was all that mattered at that time and I suppose that was the case for a few people growing up in Liverpool at that time like me.
      I remember the week leading up to the final  you could feel the buzz & tension on the streets of Liverpool  & in work, it was all over the media ,TV & newspapers,even on the the actual day of the final  i remember
      Watching scenes of lads bunking in to the ground by any means necessary.
      As for the final I watched it at my girls house who was an evertonian as was her family.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #7: Oct 01, 2018 07:48:49 pm
      12 match unbeaten run to win the league after losing the derby at Anfield, which everyone thought had pretty much gifted the league to Everton.
      Jan Molby running the show at Wembley and Ian Rush being Ian Rush to win us the double.
      King Kenny scoring the winner at Stamford Bridge and the shot of him at the end of MOTD sat in his kit with the league title in the dresing room with a plastic cup of Champagne.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #8: Oct 01, 2018 07:54:03 pm
      Jan Molbys cup final performance...class
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #9: Oct 01, 2018 09:48:13 pm
      THink it was the York game that should have been cancelled the pitch was frozen so they played in Trainers instead.
      Kenny's goal at Chelsea seems like only yesterday it was a fitting goal to win any game or any trophy.
      GRob had a go at Beglin in the final just as he did with Macca a few years later
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10: Oct 01, 2018 09:54:08 pm
      12 match unbeaten run to win the league after losing the derby at Anfield, which everyone thought had pretty much gifted the league to Everton.
      Jan Molby running the show at Wembley and Ian Rush being Ian Rush to win us the double.
      King Kenny scoring the winner at Stamford Bridge and the shot of him at the end of MOTD sat in his kit with the league title in the dresing room with a plastic cup of Champagne.

nobody gave us a chance of hunting them down even the Captain
      https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/223546-hansen-how-the-worst-liverpool-side-proved-me-wrong
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #11: Oct 01, 2018 10:06:17 pm

I couldn't get to the game so I watched it on my mum and dad's telly, on my own as I recall.  Scarf on.  Red and white quartered cap on.  Dad's last can of Newcastle Brown in hand.  All the words to YNWA sang at full volume, along with Merseyside lalala, 'mazin' sight, etc.

Early that season - October I think it was - I'd placed my first ever bet.  My mate Micky, a fellow red, had seen that Liverpool for the double was 75/1 with a certain bookie in town.  The double was the nearly-impossible dream back then.  It hadn't been done since Arsenal and Spurs at either end of the 60s, a lifetime ago.  75/1 was just too good to miss out on, though, especially as I knew that the Redmen walked on water, and we duly sneaked in and stuck £2 on.  The league was secured by King Kenny at Chelsea and a week later it was a red and blue Wembley, with the double half won.  Micky got himself a ticket somehow but I had to make do with the telly.

When Lineker scored for the Blueshite, and we couldn't seem to get back into the game, I was shuffling around, shouting and bawling.  Then Rush ran onto to Molby's through ball and slid it past Southall.  Ecstasy!  All that tension released in a millisecond, and I jumped up and threw a triumphant fist in the air.   Smash!  The entire 'big light' in the centre of the ceiling shattered and the main fitting departed from its moorings and flew into the picture above the fireplace and smashed the glass in it to smithereens.  Down that came, taking the porcelain and the candlesticks, not to mention Nan and Grandad's photos.  Carnage.  My hand was a sliced up mass of blood and flapping skin.

Needless to say, the whole sorry mess stayed right where it was until the trophy had been paraded around the stadium and the news had started.  Mam was livid.  Dad thought it was hilarious, but daren't show it.  He told me years later.  It cost me most of my winnings to pay for the replacements and repairs, but so what?  What a day!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #12: Oct 02, 2018 07:47:48 am
      AS far as I remember it was Rush who started the movement that led to the goal.Rushy got the ball by the half way line and passed it to Molby.Jan gave a long range pass into the goal area and Rushy was there to finish it off.The word used to describe Jan's pass was exquisite and it really was.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #13: Oct 02, 2018 09:34:14 am
      Big Jan could see a pass long before the ball got anywhere near his feet but then when you had Kenny and Rushie to feed they were hungry  for goals
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #14: Oct 02, 2018 09:54:42 am
      Jan Molbys cup final performance...class
      My mrs saw him on the tv the other day and said, "he's gone fat, hasn't he?".  I told her he'd probably only put on a few pounds from his playing days, as he was never the most athletic ;D.

Great memories of him waltzing around the centre circle spraying 50 yard passes everywhere.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #15: Oct 02, 2018 09:59:48 am
      My mrs saw him on the tv the other day and said, "he's gone fat, hasn't he?".  I told her he'd probably only put on a few pounds from his playing days, as he was never the most athletic ;D.

Great memories of him waltzing around the centre circle spraying 50 yard passes everywhere.

Ha ha he didn't like to get into a sweat did he.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #16: Oct 02, 2018 11:50:10 am
      Ha ha he didn't like to get into a sweat did he.
      The best foreign scouse accent ever. 
      Think he picked it up a matter of months after signing!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #17: Oct 02, 2018 01:01:01 pm
      The best foreign scouse accent ever. 
      Think he picked it up a matter of months after signing!

I am a lucky boy I get to chat to him now and then when he walks his Dogs always happy to spend a few minutues talking about the old days and the way people are trying to rewrite the fact that we have been playing pass and move football of nearly 60 years
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #18: Oct 13, 2018 08:43:31 pm
      My first full season as a fan, and football was all fun in those days. People say it was a difficult time for the city, and it was, but I was too young to know about the wider social context at the time. Just winning games was enough for me. It seems incredible now that you could lose 6 games a season and still win the league. If you lose 6 games now, you probably won't even make the top 4.

By today's standards, media coverage was minimal. There was no tv football for local viewers until January, and not much more for the rest of us either. When there was some more, it was strictly limited to one game a week only. And if there was a major event in another sport at the same time, e.g. 5 Nations/Grand National, you could forget about live football coverage.

Kenny was the new man in charge and it took a while for him to find his feet, with patchy early season form. I remember where I was though when Phil Neal scored his last goal for us. He would leave soon afterwards. We demolished the neighbours 3-0 in the first half, but had to grind out a win in the end. Following the difficult start to the season, the fightback began in November, with a number of comfortable league wins, and Molby destroying the mancs in the league cup in the space of 2 minutes. The league cup was a major competition then and you didn't rest players for it. If only it was still the case now. Gary Bloom's radio commentary of the equaliser is legendary, but as there was no tv coverage of the game, those who were not there on the night, only got to see it about 25 years later. In those days, radio football coverage was king. The following Saturday, Chelsea got a late point at Anfield, and nobody knew at the time just how important the return game would be in May.

I was at two home games that season, comfortable wins against Villa and Birmingham. The win against Villa at the beginning of December should have kickstarted the title challenge. But it was our last win of 1985. 86 stuttered and spluttered along at the start, where every time we turned a corner, it was a wrong turn. I didn't take the league cup semi final loss well at all. Watford got a 0-0 draw in the cup quarter final. Grob caught the butterfingers bug at home to the mancs, in the derby 2 weeks later, and at Spurs the following week inside the first 3 minutes. Nowadays he would be torn apart on the message boards, probably threatened by the keyboard warriors as well, and possibly dropped for Mike Hooper. Back then you just went home, laid low for a few days, dusted yourself down and got on with the next game, come what may. How it should be.

Monday night football was not on TV and was as rare as a needle in a haystack at the time, and it took a long time to win the replay at Watford, but it finally got us motoring in the right direction. The 4 points got from the Easter weekend put us top of the table, after the neighbours could only draw at the mancs. In those days, BBC World Service radio commentaries were the best, sometimes only way for me to keep track of live games, and restricted to the second half only. No 5 hour long Ultra HD digital coverage in Stereo Sound in widescreen, liveScore, 24h sportsnews, or 30 live  league games per season for anyone. And absolutely no multiscreen on a red button. Neighbours and relations would sometimes have to help out to watch Sunday live tv games, if they could wrestle a tv aerial long enough to get the right signal. On the ground, players played twice on Easter weekend without complaints on rock hard pitches, it was an annual ritual that they just put on the stiff upper lip and got on with. Nowadays, it's restricted to Christmas time, and there's uproar every year at how demanding the schedule is, and how it must be changed. It's as predictable as "Do They Know It's Christmas?" booming out the airwaves every 5 minutes. But back then, the schedule was part of the football furniture, and it has never changed. It's still 4 league games every single Christmas.

After winning the cup semi final, the race to the title was on in earnest, as we reeled off win after win. Coventry were beaten up. We won at Luton, a banana skin place, on a plastic pitch. We beat Birmingham to send them down, a game so easy, that Gary Gillespie could run amok in our last home game of the season. He later thought the 9-0 game v Crystal Palace was better than the day he scored a hat trick past David Seaman down the Anfield Road End. That's Gary I suppose. We still needed a favour to win the league, and the new league cup holders Oxford did it for us, allowing us to go to Chelsea and wrap it up there. The neighbours won 6-1 that day and as they still had a game in hand, we needed to win at Chelsea in our last game of the season, and we did. It was a beautiful trophy, but the presentation wasn't quite the half hour glitz and glamour ceremony it is now, with everyone who is someone. In fact, it didn't happen after the last league game at all and seemed to be more of an afterthought, while the medal "presentation" was a box brought into the dressing room. It had to wait though until after the Screensport Super Cup semi final win at home to Norwich the following Tuesday, after we put another 5 past them. I finally saw the presentation on a club video 4 years later. Apart from the goal, the cup final was pretty much a non event in the first half. The second half had a difficult start for us as well, but once we got level, there was no looking back. Nobody had any trouble watching the trophy presentation for it, it was the only guaranteed live game in England every season, winning it for the first time in 12 years was a big deal, and winning the double then was a major achievement. Win the double now and unfortunately, it's barely mentioned.

On my next visit to a game the following October, I got the audio tape of the season review in WHSmiths, that Clive Tyldesley, Gary Bloom and Radio Merseyside put together. It was only 40 minutes long, and half of it was the cup final, but it was still a great production. The labels are worn off the tape by now!! No youtube, Dvd's, or Netflix around in 1986 at the touch of a button, if you wanted a souvenir of a season, you had to go out and get it yourself. I got my first replica shirt also, the yellow away shirt of the time. We got to share the Charity Shield for 6 months, but we did win the Screensport Super Cup though, beating the neighbours in the final again. I don't recall the trophy ever played again though, while at very short notice, Screensport quietly merged with what is now Eurosport, in 1993.

The 86 special on LFC was originally aired on the 30 year anniversary of it, a brilliant documentary without advert breaks. I thought they might do something similar for the 88 side, as the records that side set, and the football we played was even better than the side that won the double 2 years earlier. There's still time for that of course.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #19: Oct 14, 2018 04:58:02 pm
      Two good books covering that season:-

Just read the two tribes one - superb
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #20: Oct 14, 2018 06:21:44 pm
      Big jan at his best that season
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #21: Oct 14, 2018 09:06:23 pm
      Kevin MacDonald bossing the midfield at Wembley against the bitters. Unsung hero. :celebrate:
      To think we bought him for £400K to fill the gap Souness left in midfield when he did one to Italy.
      Pretty sure he broke his arm early on that season and came back for the league run in and the final.

Everyone goes on about Rushie and Jan that season but Kevin Mac was just as important as anyone.

Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #22: Oct 20, 2018 08:14:01 am
      What a great season, possibly my favourite - first or second year with a season ticket, and in sixth form with a load of mates who for some reason were Bluenoses.  Had a great cassette tape from Radio City about the story of the season.  Molby featured heavily.  They all felt that we had lost the title, then Oxford beat the Bitters and the rest is history.  And at the start he talks of a bet with Jesper Olsen(?).  United had won the first 10 games, and Jan told him "we might not win the title but we will definitely finish above you".

Great final as well - loved games at Anfield South.

Quick Reply