Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

The 1986 season appreciation thread

Read 4670 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: The 1986 season appreciation thread
      Reply #23: Oct 22, 2018 10:20:26 am
      Kevin MacDonald bossing the midfield at Wembley against the bitters. Unsung hero. :celebrate:
      To think we bought him for £400K to fill the gap Souness left in midfield when he did one to Italy.
      Pretty sure he broke his arm early on that season and came back for the league run in and the final.

Everyone goes on about Rushie and Jan that season but Kevin Mac was just as important as anyone.

Funny how people have different memories. I seem to recall McDonald struggled to fill Souness's boots maybe trying to hard to be a player he wasn't. He was a very good footballer. He only played 40 games in about 3 or 4 years and a broken leg and the arrival of McMahon finished his career at Anfield but he did play a significant part in the 86 season
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #24: Oct 22, 2018 01:45:16 pm
      Yeah Walt.. Jon Wark was another one.. another Scot I might add as well.
      No disrespect to my Scottish friends but a very ugly man.. a sort of cross between Yozzer Hughes and the Yorkshire ripper ;D
      Interesting quote from his wiki page ;
      In the 1985–86 season, Wark made 18 appearances, scoring six times, but missed out on the club's run-in to their League and FA Cup "double", due to a broken ankle suffered just after the turn of 1986, followed by an Achilles tendon injury. He eventually regained his fitness but struggled to regain his place in the Liverpool team until injury to Steve McMahon allowed him back in. Wark came on as a late substitute (but according to him, never touched the ball) when Liverpool lost the 1987 League Cup Final to Arsenal. No longer a part of manager Kenny Dalglish's plans following the arrival of new midfielders including John Barnes, Wark was sold back to Ipswich on 4 January 1988 for £100,000. In spite of more financially lucrative offers from both Watford and Coventry City, he followed Bobby Robson's advice: "Money isn't everything—go where you will be happiest." Wark left the Merseyside club with a record of 42 goals in 108 appearances, a goal every 2.6 games.

skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #25: Oct 24, 2018 01:47:10 pm
      Yeah Walt.. Jon Wark was another one.. another Scot I might add as well.
      No disrespect to my Scottish friends but a very ugly man.. a sort of cross between Yozzer Hughes and the Yorkshire ripper ;D
      Interesting quote from his wiki page ;
      In the 1985–86 season, Wark made 18 appearances, scoring six times, but missed out on the club's run-in to their League and FA Cup "double", due to a broken ankle suffered just after the turn of 1986, followed by an Achilles tendon injury. He eventually regained his fitness but struggled to regain his place in the Liverpool team until injury to Steve McMahon allowed him back in. Wark came on as a late substitute (but according to him, never touched the ball) when Liverpool lost the 1987 League Cup Final to Arsenal. No longer a part of manager Kenny Dalglish's plans following the arrival of new midfielders including John Barnes, Wark was sold back to Ipswich on 4 January 1988 for £100,000. In spite of more financially lucrative offers from both Watford and Coventry City, he followed Bobby Robson's advice: "Money isn't everything—go where you will be happiest." Wark left the Merseyside club with a record of 42 goals in 108 appearances, a goal every 2.6 games.
      Wark was a great goal-scoring midfielder as his record shows.  Often overlooked when looking back at key players of that era.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #26: Oct 24, 2018 04:13:13 pm
      Speaking of Molby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOkZOcMjBe4

Of course these days, we'd get the "why doesn't he do that every week" and "he's a lazy f**ker" comments ;)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #27: Oct 24, 2018 05:20:36 pm
      Speaking of Molby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOkZOcMjBe4

Of course these days, we'd get the "why doesn't he do that every week" and "he's a lazy f**ker" comments ;)

A fine athlete and technically one of our best
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #28: Oct 24, 2018 06:05:33 pm
      A fine athlete and technically one of our best

14 1/2 stone, his "natural playing weight", he was a big lump, and fond of a pie and a pint.

I think it was against Sampdoria that he gave one of the best exhibitions of passing and long range shooting that I've seen.

Quick Reply