Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Napoli?

Alisson
      34 (39.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.2%)
      Joe Gomez
      40 (46.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      3 (3.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (2.3%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      1 (1.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      2 (2.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.2%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.2%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: Oct 07, 2018 09:55:03 pm

Napoli 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27569 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Napoli 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Oct 05, 2018 01:44:51 am
      Mad Italian bas**rds just read that Milik was mugged for his 20k Rolex in his way home from the match.

Read the same thing and it's not the first time it's happened either. A couple of their other stars have been robbed at gun point and knife point as well. Think one of them from memory, was Insigne and as the robbers were about to leave, one turned around to Insigne and said, make sure you score next match!!! What the actual F**k!!!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #507: Oct 05, 2018 02:04:23 am
      Are people really now trying to justify a certain players performance by saying we are reliant on our full backs for creativity and not the midfield?

:lmao:
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #508: Oct 05, 2018 08:32:35 am
      Are people really now trying to justify a certain players performance by saying we are reliant on our full backs for creativity and not the midfield?

:lmao:

There’s no excuse for any of them out there apart from Alisson and Joe Gomez who did well. The rest were well below par.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #509: Oct 05, 2018 08:35:07 am
      There’s no excuse for any of them out there apart from Alisson and Joe Gomez who did well. The rest were well below par.

Couldn't agree more!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #510: Oct 05, 2018 10:20:13 am
      Don’t post much any more for various reasons , but to read through this thread and hear that our midfield is not there to create is the most ludicrous thing I think I’ve ever heard ,
      It’s  great for us that we have unearthed two great full backs /wing backs but fundamentally our midfield should be the engine room of our play ,without an engine room things fall apart ,our front three as good as they are need a supply chain and not just from our full backs .
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #511: Oct 05, 2018 11:03:53 am
      Don’t post much any more for various reasons , but to read through this thread and hear that our midfield is not there to create is the most ludicrous thing I think I’ve ever heard ,
      It’s  great for us that we have unearthed two great full backs /wing backs but fundamentally our midfield should be the engine room of our play ,without an engine room things fall apart ,our front three as good as they are need a supply chain and not just from our full backs .

It’s not ludicrous - it may be a little over-stated (to make a damn good point) but in intent it’s accurate. Worth noting that the original poster’s first language is not English so treat the soundbite with a little more care.

Our system does not rely on /  ask a traditional midfield to create as in the past. Of course we want them to use the ball well and create if possible but it’s NOT a midfield set up in the old fashioned sense.

The midfield’s primary function is to condense, press, disrupt and move the ball quickly. It shows the evolving nature of the game which requires a change in attitude from spectators too.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #512: Oct 05, 2018 11:30:14 am
      Read the same thing and it's not the first time it's happened either. A couple of their other stars have been robbed at gun point and knife point as well. Think one of them from memory, was Insigne and as the robbers were about to leave, one turned around to Insigne and said, make sure you score next match!!! What the actual F**k!!!

Agreed mate, the Italian bizzies are corrupt and F***ing useless.
      If FIFA, EUFA or whatever F***ing A were any F***ing good they would ban the F**k out of Italian European games in that country.
      But guess what football authorities are as corrupt as F**k.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #513: Oct 05, 2018 12:02:21 pm
      It’s not ludicrous - it may be a little over-stated (to make a damn good point) but in intent it’s accurate. Worth noting that the original poster’s first language is not English so treat the soundbite with a little more care.

Our system does not rely on /  ask a traditional midfield to create as in the past. Of course we want them to use the ball well and create if possible but it’s NOT a midfield set up in the old fashioned sense.

The midfield’s primary function is to condense, press, disrupt and move the ball quickly. It shows the evolving nature of the game which requires a change in attitude from spectators too.

More important in our midfield is a runner who "breaks the lines".
      Milner has been the one doing that mostly, since Ox got injured, but I think that's why Keita was brought in as well.

If we play with a "runner", then essentially we are playing with 6 attacking players.
      That's not to say they don't have defensive duties as well, but you can see when we are defending we use a much more "traditional" system of flat banks of 4/5.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #514: Oct 05, 2018 12:20:31 pm

I know  :lmao:

I've read some absolute sh*te on here but to say we are reliant on our full backs for creativity rather than the midfield takes the piss.

We have two great attacking full backs who are crucial for when we go forward, there is no denying that. But we're not really different to any other team in that sense as it has just become part of the modern game now. Full backs get judged nowadays on going forward more than they do on actually defending!

To basically excuse our lack of creativity in midfield and justify their dire performances in saying the midfield three are just there to hassle and make it difficult for the opposition is laughable.

Get used to it mate. There are half a dozen or so posters on here who will not, under any circumstances, criticise certain individuals in that midfield and they'll come out with any old sh*te to try and justify themselves.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #515: Oct 05, 2018 12:30:27 pm

Sorry Scotia, but that is just ludicrous, of course the midfield should be the engine room of the team and when we play well it very much is, although not when we play Hendo, Milner and Gini together which is the big problem which Klopp just isn't solving at the moment. I have no idea why Klopp doesn't like Shaquiri and Sturridge, perhaps they don't give good enough hugs or something but I have no doubt that if those 2 had played against Napoli then we would have at least drawn the game if not won it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #516: Oct 05, 2018 12:32:42 pm
      Should probably give some credit to some of the Napoli players too, especially the likes of Allan,
      who seems perfect in that double no 8 pivot we played with Gini and Hendo.

If we are to keep Gini in the 6, where he's been at his best, then LFC could do worse than move for Allan.
      « Last Edit: Oct 05, 2018 02:17:58 pm by racerx34 »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #517: Oct 05, 2018 12:41:17 pm
      I know  :lmao:

I've read some absolute sh*te on here but to say we are reliant on our full backs for creativity rather than the midfield takes the piss.

We have two great attacking full backs who are crucial for when we go forward, there is no denying that. But we're not really different to any other team in that sense as it has just become part of the modern game now. Full backs get judged nowadays on going forward more than they do on actually defending!

To basically excuse our lack of creativity in midfield and justify their dire performances in saying the midfield three are just there to hassle and make it difficult for the opposition is laughable.

Get used to it mate. There are half a dozen or so posters on here who will not, under any circumstances, criticise certain individuals in that midfield and they'll come out with any old sh*te to try and justify themselves.

Not how I see it.

It’s a search for balance and understanding of the modern game rather than just empty tub thumping agenda merchants.......that have taken the place over.........

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #518: Oct 05, 2018 01:07:25 pm
      Should probably give some credit to some of the Napoli players too, especially the likes of Allan,

If we are to keep Gini in the 6, where he's been at his best, then LFC could do worse than move for Allan.

If a team sit off us, I'd have Gini as the 6 (ish)
      If a team is pressing, I'd have Hendo, simply because Gini is so adept at cutting off passing lanes higher up.
      In effect it would be 2 6's with one higher up.
      « Last Edit: Oct 05, 2018 02:17:48 pm by racerx34 »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #519: Oct 05, 2018 01:15:31 pm
      Not how I see it.

It’s a search for balance and understanding of the modern game rather than just empty tub thumping agenda merchants.......that have taken the place over.........

Rafa played with 2 sitting players, but in a much more rigid 4231, where he repeatedly stated that our width and creativity comes from the fullbacks.
      In that system as we know, Masch was the "destroyer" and Alonso the "deep lying playmaker" which is absolutely the right way (IMO) when you play with a formation that is so rigid.

I think that Klopp has taken it a step further, and added fluidity and flexibility in an attacking sense, but also adapted it to give fullbacks more license to go and stay forwards.

When we defend, the roles of players are much more "traditional" , and it's pretty easy to see the flat banks and compressed space used in conjunction with an aggressive defensive press.
      « Last Edit: Oct 05, 2018 01:40:54 pm by Swab »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #520: Oct 05, 2018 01:20:01 pm

Allan is an absolute beast, isn't he? Been a fan of his since I started watching Napoli last season, but wait till you see Keita in a more central role for us, you will soon forget the likes of Allan and Arthur! :)
      « Last Edit: Oct 05, 2018 02:17:32 pm by racerx34 »
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #521: Oct 05, 2018 01:41:21 pm
      Not how I see it.

I always laugh to myself when people state I have some sort of agenda when it's actually people like yourself who are defending our 28 year old captain who has made over 200 appearances for us in midfield and your shifting his responsibilities onto a teenager who plays at right back. But of course, you understand the game and everybody else doesn't.

It's actually hysterical.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #522: Oct 05, 2018 02:01:41 pm
      I always laugh to myself when people state I have some sort of agenda when it's actually people like yourself who are defending our 28 year old captain who has made over 200 appearances for us in midfield and your shifting his responsibilities onto a teenager who plays at right back. But of course, you understand the game and everybody else doesn't.

It's actually hysterical.

Ok so most of the above is just invented and just frankly daft.

It is hysterical how one dimensional some people allow themselves to be.

Spot on.

The post that fuelled your latest diatribe at Henderson (who was poor on Wed) pointed out that our system doesn’t ask our midfielders to be traditional playmakers.

That’s also spot on.

But hey - you’re the super fan who just says it as it is and is being repressed by anybody who actually finds your rhetoric utterly repetitive and dull eh?
      « Last Edit: Oct 05, 2018 03:01:37 pm by Scotia »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #523: Oct 05, 2018 02:22:48 pm
      Allan is an absolute beast, isn't he? Been a fan of his since I started watching Napoli last season, but wait till you see Keita in a more central role for us, you will soon forget the likes of Allan and Arthur! :)

I'm sure if Keita had remained injury free we'd be having a different discussion,
      but him coming off was a bit like Ox, in that it took that driving force out of midfield.

I quite liked the 3 with Fabinho, Gini & Hendo at times,
      but ultimately we ended up with 2 no 8's doing a lot of covering and nobody pushing up enough to cause Napoli problems.
      That's something we'll only really see with Keita or Ox, but from Napoli's point of view (Allan) there was a lot of drive and then
      some distribution too, something LFC lacked.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #524: Oct 05, 2018 02:30:45 pm
      Plenty are laying the blame at our so called under performing midfield. It's probably true that Klopp is still trying to get the balance right in midfield. He lost Coutinho for the second half of last season. Ox came in and also the front 3 were firing on all cylinders. So the issue of getting the right balance was sorted somewhat.

Come the new season-Ox out, Keita,Fabinho in. So the midfield balance issue was back on. But it must be noted that if...IF striker don't convert then that is not the fault of the midfield and the fact is we have missed a lot of chances. If those had been converted the midfield wouldn't be getting so much stick.

I mean Hendo will get stick no matter what but Klopp knows what he brings to the side. He doesn't judge him on some fantasy " Roy of the Rovers" deal or " Captain fantastic" the way some do.

This Napoli performance was on the cards- Klopp knew it - I knew it. So did quite a few on here. Obviously some will blame Hendo.
      It's good that we have City next up. An easy or easier home game might've worked against us. As it is we will have to step up. A lot will be learnt from this game.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #525: Oct 05, 2018 02:32:03 pm

Yea, and the midfield was exceptionally poor.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #526: Oct 05, 2018 02:32:43 pm
      I'm sure if Keita had remained injury free we'd be having a different discussion,
      but him coming off was a bit like Ox, in that it took that driving force out of midfield.

I quite liked the 3 with Fabinho, Gini & Hendo at times,
      but ultimately we ended up with 2 no 8's doing a lot of covering and nobody pushing up enough to cause Napoli problems.
      That's something we'll only really see with Keita or Ox, but from Napoli's point of view (Allan) there was a lot of drive and then
      some distribution too, something LFC lacked.

It was noticeable on watching again that Firmino was continually thwarted when he tried to drop deep, by the simple expedient of blocking his direct running line.
      It meant he couldn't get back as quickly as usual, and really affected his defensive work.
      Napoli did a lot of blocking (not fouling as such, but little bits of jostling, and tugs that the ref didn't notice) and taking a player out early if he looked like he was going to break.
      It was effective, and some might say canny, but for me, a stronger ref would have stopped it by booking a couple of players early on, especially the drag backs on Mane, and some of the manhandling of Salah.
      For me, it crossed the line between being clever and cheating, but I don't moan when we do it (I applaud it) so I'm not going to be a hypocrite by making a big deal out of it.
      Suffice to say it affected us a fair bit, and was doubtless part of Ancelotti's gameplan.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #527: Oct 05, 2018 02:34:09 pm
      Plenty are laying the blame at our so called under performing midfield. It's probably true that Klopp is still trying to get the balance right in midfield. He lost Coutinho for the second half of last season. Ox came in and also the front 3 were firing on all cylinders. So the issue of getting the right balance was sorted somewhat.

Come the new season-Ox out, Keita,Fabinho in. So the midfield balance issue was back on. But it must be noted that if...IF striker don't convert then that is not the fault of the midfield and the fact is we have missed a lot of chances. If those had been converted the midfield wouldn't be getting so much stick.

I mean Hendo will get stick no matter what but Klopp knows what he brings to the side. He doesn't judge him on some fantasy " Roy of the Rovers" deal or " Captain fantastic" the way some do.

This Napoli performance was on the cards- Klopp knew it - I knew it. So did quite a few on here. Obviously some will blame Hendo.
      It's good that we have City next up. An easy or easier home game might've worked against us. As it is we will have to step up. A lot will be learnt from this game.

City's playing style will suit the team that started against Napoli.
      Main issue is that the front 3 are not on form, and we all know that.
      In a situation like that, with Napoli keeping things tight between the lines,
      more creativity was needed from midfield and, after Keita went off,
      there wasn't really that option.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #528: Oct 05, 2018 02:37:06 pm
      It was noticeable on watching again that Firmino was continually thwarted when he tried to drop deep, by the simple expedient of blocking his direct running line.
      It meant he couldn't get back as quickly as usual, and really affected his defensive work.
      Napoli did a lot of blocking (not fouling as such, but little bits of jostling, and tugs that the ref didn't notice) and taking a player out early if he looked like he was going to break.
      It was effective, and some might say canny, but for me, a stronger ref would have stopped it by booking a couple of players early on, especially the drag backs on Mane, and some of the manhandling of Salah.
      For me, it crossed the line between being clever and cheating, but I don't moan when we do it (I applaud it) so I'm not going to be a hypocrite by making a big deal out of it.
      Suffice to say it affected us a fair bit, and was doubtless part of Ancelotti's gameplan.

I understand that, but I think if there is more threat coming from midfield, in the way Ox did last year,
      then it forces the other team to push up a bit to deal with that threat and allows the front 3 more space,
      if they don't push up then we see what happened with Ox driving into space and getting a shot off to score.
      Don't have that threat in the team at the moment.

Quick Reply