Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Forward Line

Read 8167 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      The Forward Line
      Oct 06, 2018 12:25:34 am
      It's been a tough run of games for Liverpool, in truth; but we've got our heads down and got on with it - like a shift at work, or a session at the gym, grinding and sweating away. Despite a section of rival Twitter accounts speculating on our list of fixtures accompanied with a classic Jürgen Klopp grimace, and many troubling emojis, we weren't ever phased going in to our last run of games. We're top having won 6, drawing 1, and 2 loses in cup completion overall.

A poor reflection on the last three games has left some fans in disarray, robbed them of all logical sense, induced brain fog; 'Aye, here we are with problems, at the top of the league.' – Cheers Shanks.

But our fantastic front-three haven't quite hit the ground running collectively just yet, have they? Sure, some individual brilliance from Mane against the likes of Leicester away, Spurs away, and earlier on in the season which have been decisive match winning performances – earning the tip of the hat, has gone slightly off-the-boil of late.

Bobby was prematurely accused of 'a World Cup hangover' at the start of the season which was nonsense – in crucial games like PSG he has shown the goods, and is ever present as our attacking metronome.

Which leads me to our leading man, Salah; I adore the F***ing bloke, I'd lay over a puddle for him to prevent his feet from getting wet. He's our Egyptian Messi, he's Kenny, Gerrard, Suarez, all of our love poured back in to one fella. He brings us hope, until the Ramos incident, since he went out on duty with Egypt etcetera etcetera. What's happened to Mo? Is he trying to hard? Behind the scenes politics troubling the poor boy? Still feeling the affects of his lingering shoulder injury? Whatever the problem, I (like every Liverpool supporter) has struggled to put a finger on it over a bevy, a cuppa, whatever your poison – the fact of the matter is something is not right.

I can only surmise and summarise this point down to pure inspiration missing. It's a mind over matter, a booster, quietens the negative clan. The chorus of the Anfield crowd must lift the front-three to glory on Sunday. We must let it drive the lads to claim the lead in the title chase as our own once again, it won't win us the league, there's still a long way to go. But I do fancy our killer three to take this in to the next run of fixtures, which I'm relieved to tell you, back to a fairer run while the rest play each other (no team is a walk in the park, mind). Let's get out of third-gear and send City home swigging a commiserative Kopperberg up the M62.

Up the inspired reds.

The next 7:

Huddersfield (A)
      Red Star Belgrade (H)*
      Cardiff (H)
      Arsenal (A)
      Red Star Belgrade (A)*
      Fulham (H)
      Watford (A)

How many goals will Bobby, Mane & Salah contribute throughout the next run of fixtures? Or will we see the likes of Sturridge, Shaqiri introduced on a permanent basis?
      « Last Edit: Oct 06, 2018 12:15:36 pm by Court LFC »
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: The Forward Line
      Reply #1: Oct 09, 2018 02:06:53 pm
      I would say simply, don't worry about Mo, he will come good.

I hope so - although I thought Mo was a lot better against Southampton when he was played behind Firmino in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

City did well to close off gaps, but we still had chances to score. Maybe a re-shuffle may help the front three will help after the international break.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2: Oct 09, 2018 02:37:25 pm
      I hope so - although I thought Mo was a lot better against Southampton when he was played behind Firmino in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

City did well to close off gaps, but we still had chances to score. Maybe a re-shuffle may help the front three will help after the international break.

That might be a good point, it seems oppositions have figured us out a little bit so I think we need to start having a plan B and plan C for our attack going forwards, but I'm sure Jürgen knows this.
      As for Mo he seems to be going in the right direction at the moment, he just needs a couple of goals to kickstart the season and what better opposition hen to have than Huddersfield and Cardiff, fill your boots Mo.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #3: Oct 09, 2018 02:54:10 pm
      Players don't become poor over night. They just don't.

They were incredible last season. We are very early into the season and I am very confident that come May we will be laughing that we ever questioned them.

I expect 60 plus goals from our front three this season.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #4: Oct 09, 2018 03:04:02 pm
      The run of games has been harsh and I think that the international break has come at a good time.

The problem is not the forward line, it has never been that. The problem has been midfield and how it is structured to play. Press, win the ball and play the early ball to the forwards. It is a formula that depends on the chaos that comes on transition off a lost ball. With this much pace in the team, it is hard for teams to even adjust to lost possession, and when they do, it often leads to more pockets of space appearing.

What teams have done is they have limited transition events by sitting deep and forcing Wijnaldum, Keita, Henderson, Milner to create off a packed block and cutting out that vertical ball to the forwards. Huddersfield and Cardiff are going to be good games to have coming from the international break because on paper these are the two most anemic teams when it comes to attack. It might be a good opportunity for Klopp to try an approach that is not solely focused on the opponent losing possession.

The forwards have struggled because supply lines have been cut out. That said, the team is well placed in the league despite those problems and has the best defense in the land alongside City. The biggest problems in that run of games could well be Arsenal and Watford in the league while 6 points should be what is targeted in the Champions League.

Title contenders adapt, the expectation is that Klopp will.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5: Oct 09, 2018 10:15:33 pm
      The run of games has been harsh and I think that the international break has come at a good time.

The problem is not the forward line, it has never been that. The problem has been midfield and how it is structured to play. Press, win the ball and play the early ball to the forwards. It is a formula that depends on the chaos that comes on transition off a lost ball. With this much pace in the team, it is hard for teams to even adjust to lost possession, and when they do, it often leads to more pockets of space appearing.

What teams have done is they have limited transition events by sitting deep and forcing Wijnaldum, Keita, Henderson, Milner to create off a packed block and cutting out that vertical ball to the forwards. Huddersfield and Cardiff are going to be good games to have coming from the international break because on paper these are the two most anemic teams when it comes to attack. It might be a good opportunity for Klopp to try an approach that is not solely focused on the opponent losing possession.

The forwards have struggled because supply lines have been cut out. That said, the team is well placed in the league despite those problems and has the best defense in the land alongside City. The biggest problems in that run of games could well be Arsenal and Watford in the league while 6 points should be what is targeted in the Champions League.

Title contenders adapt, the expectation is that Klopp will.

That has been our main problem for so many seasons, Vs Cautious, and more so low block teams. And with our current trusted midfield trio, it's as if we are back to square one when I thought we had solved that problem by signing Keita and Shaqiri.

The loss of Ox has really affected our front 3, hasn't it? It just hasn't been the same without having that link, and we could've done with him vs Chelsea and City, heck, even the low scoring win games he would have probably helped and have our goal difference closer to City's. We definitely miss that extra attacking player, whether through his driving runs, speed or creativity, we need a different option in the middle.

Closest player we have to an attacking midfielder/forward is Shaqiri, more inbetween Ox and Coutinho, isn't he? Whilst probably weaker defensively, I am sure he is more creative and will surely help more so than Ox would vs those low block setup teams., but more importantly, I could see a huge improvement for our front 3.

Another thing that isn't quite for this thread but I thought I would mention; Rabiot, whilst he isn't your creative playmaker, he differs from Milner, Wijnaldum and Hendo and has a more similar approach to Keita where they are positive on the ball and have a knack for breaking through the lines, and with Klopp wanting him when he was at Dortmund, I believe there is a huge possibility of signing him in January (if Lallana is still out). I think Rabiot would/could add something extra to our attacking play and still keep the same industry that Milner, Wijnaldum and Hendo offers.
      « Last Edit: Oct 09, 2018 10:24:56 pm by PurpleMonkey »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #6: Oct 09, 2018 10:23:44 pm
      Honestly.

I think some folk are in danger of becoming a Woody Allen-esque parody of a football fan.

Top of the league and much more sound defensively - recent season’s Achilles - with a colossus of a keeper and we’re worrying that the front half of the team haven’t caught fire yet.......

It’s

A

Matter

Of

Time ✊
      « Last Edit: Oct 10, 2018 07:38:03 am by Scotia »
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #7: Oct 09, 2018 10:36:05 pm
      Right, I'll be short and sweet, and consistent.

We've struggle up front. It's just not working right now. We know Salah's got tons of issues and reasons going on to explain his poor form. Mane and Firmino? Not so much.

The Elephant in the room is Sturridge.

His goal scoring has shocked many of our fans, and there are few excuses left to ignore him. His place in the team is fully justified, and yet he is continually overlooked. So here it is.

Sturridge is our joint top goal scorer. 4 goals with Mane.
      Yet with having only played 205 minutes, his goal:minute ratio is 51 minutes per goal.  :o

He's been on form. The others have not been. Time to give him a go? I think so.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #8: Oct 09, 2018 11:04:00 pm
      Suarez and Coutinho both only have 3 goals from 11, same as Salah here.
      All strikers get a dry spell.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #9: Oct 10, 2018 06:05:31 am
      Form is temporary! Class is permanent. They will come good.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #10: Oct 10, 2018 06:39:06 am
      CL final last year, World Cup Year, MO got chicken winged and was out injured and rushed back for WC. 70+ games for the front 3, no real pre-season and back into it. Danny looks good because he had a full pre-season and is fresh and fit. I think Shaquiri also had more of a rest and looks better for it.

We are not chasing teams down as much and conversely teams are sitting back further against us. However, we are better in the league this year at the same stage. we are defensively more solid. So for whatever reason the shift from last year is working out for us. I think once our front three get a bit more into the swing we will be ready for the run in. MO is just a little off regarding his shooting and passing we know he can do a lot more.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #11: Oct 10, 2018 08:17:07 am
      If the opposition are concentrating so much on Mo,Bobby and Mane surely our midfielders should be able to put the ball in the net.I expect our front three to get back on the goal trail soon and start terrorising opposition defenders so don't be worrying about Mo.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #12: Oct 10, 2018 09:20:11 am
      If the opposition are concentrating so much on Mo,Bobby and Mane surely our midfielders should be able to put the ball in the net.I expect our front three to get back on the goal trail soon and start terrorising opposition defenders so don't be worrying about Mo.

That is the main problem, at the moment we offer zero threat from midfield, especially if we play Hendo, Milner and Gini, we have to inject some genuine attack into the midfield, be that from Keita, Lallana or Shaquiri.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #13: Oct 10, 2018 10:44:14 am
      This is a very big problem for us, and thier lack of creativity and real Goal threat leave the opposition defenders to concentrate solely on our front three knowing full well if one of our midfielders pick up the ball that they are highly unlikely to be a goal threat. That plus the fact that our midfield players play to many ball to feet and not enough into the spaces between defenders

That is the main problem, at the moment we offer zero threat from midfield, especially if we play Hendo, Milner and Gini, we have to inject some genuine attack into the midfield, be that from Keita, Lallana or Shaquiri.
      Keita for me has shown little so far, and Lallana has no end produce to his game.. We have Shaqiri, who is a forward by trade
      but could be utilized as a midfielder who is given the option to roam... Bastian Schweinsteiger started life as a Right winger for club and Country and when Bayern bought  Arjen Robben he was moved to the left... Follow the the arrival of Franck Ribéry
      He reinvented him self as a Midfielder and proved to be so good the the national team played him as such for many a year with great success... Shaqiri has the skill and intelligence to make this transition, and I am sure that he would be willing to try this than spending his time on our bench
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #14: Oct 10, 2018 11:29:56 am
      We know Salah's got tons of issues and reasons going on to explain his poor form.

What is going on then please explain?

I think he needs to stay on the touchline a bit more and if we can get the ball to him a bit quicker he will get back to form. At the moment he drifts inside giving the space to TAA to run into but then he has a defender if not 2 up his arse to deal with.

Ill be speaking to Jürgen shortly about it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15: Oct 10, 2018 03:44:37 pm
      This is a very big problem for us, and thier lack of creativity and real Goal threat leave the opposition defenders to concentrate solely on our front three knowing full well if one of our midfielders pick up the ball that they are highly unlikely to be a goal threat. That plus the fact that our midfield players play to many ball to feet and not enough into the spaces between defenders
      Keita for me has shown little so far, and Lallana has no end produce to his game.. We have Shaqiri, who is a forward by trade
      but could be utilized as a midfielder who is given the option to roam... Bastian Schweinsteiger started life as a Right winger for club and Country and when Bayern bought  Arjen Robben he was moved to the left... Follow the the arrival of Franck Ribéry
      He reinvented him self as a Midfielder and proved to be so good the the national team played him as such for many a year with great success... Shaqiri has the skill and intelligence to make this transition, and I am sure that he would be willing to try this than spending his time on our bench

I think Keita will be fine, he has shown me more than enough already and I think he will be one of our main midfielders for years to come. I absolutely agree about Shaquiri as the AM but another option might be to drop Bobby into that role and have Sturridge or Solanke as the striker, I think that would give us some good variation in our attack plus more points of attack.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #16: Oct 10, 2018 07:02:33 pm
      I think Keita will be fine, he has shown me more than enough already and I think he will be one of our main midfielders for years to come. I absolutely agree about Shaquiri as the AM but another option might be to drop Bobby into that role and have Sturridge or Solanke as the striker, I think that would give us some good variation in our attack plus more points of attack.
      I agree with the option of playing Bobby in that role but  not Sturridge  as the striker, and definitely not Solanke. I has to be Shaqiri has he will be more pacey than DS
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #17: Oct 10, 2018 09:46:19 pm
      I agree with a lot of what's been said in here in that the three definitely haven't performed to standard so far this season but I do feel it's a matter of time.

The lack of real link from midfield hasn't helped either and I'd be keen to give Shaqiri a game or two there especially against the likes of Huddersfield and Cardiff.

Great 'problem' to have given were still unbeaten in the league and joint top as I feel someone will be on the end of a hiding pretty soon.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #18: Oct 11, 2018 07:35:53 am
      I read I’m the bbc that Adam is to return after the internationals.
      There’s your link up man, right there.

I’d leave Milly out for him against the lower teams and keep Hendo and Gini.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #19: Oct 11, 2018 09:12:34 am
      I read I’m the bbc that Adam is to return after the internationals.
      There’s your link up man, right there.

I’d leave Milly out for him against the lower teams and keep Hendo and Gini.

Remember that Adam normally needs about 5 games to play himself into form by which time he'll no doubt have injured himself again!
      Dragonmark
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts | 28 
      Reply #20: Oct 12, 2018 02:17:23 am
      The answer to our supply line and "goals from midfield" problem is Shaqiri (and Ox when available). Hope he gets minutes in that position.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #21: Oct 12, 2018 07:50:02 pm
      Not concerned about the forward line. Too much talent not to come back full force again. While i don't think Salah will lead the league in goals again this year he will certainly improve on his current form significantly.
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #22: Oct 15, 2018 11:04:57 pm
      Salah, Mane, both out with knocks. Could it be a better time for the likes of Sturridge, or Shaqiri to come into the side? Naby out wide?

Either way, our line-up against Huddersfield is going to be very interesting.

Quick Reply