Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Alisson
      1 (1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1%)
      Joe Gomez
      4 (3.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      70 (68.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      11 (10.8%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      6 (5.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1%)
      Sadio Mane
      8 (7.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Voting closed: Nov 07, 2018 07:22:49 pm

Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27298 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Re: Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #483: Nov 03, 2018 07:58:43 pm
      Bringing on a big CB to add in another number isnā€™t going to ā€œinvite pressureā€ or increase the risk with about 40 seconds left to go for Christ sakes.

Seems like people are happier looking for things to be negative- dragging the place down.

mate I have him on ignore quoting him means I have to suffer in insane rants
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #484: Nov 03, 2018 07:58:50 pm
      To win the league we have to be so lucky!!!! We also have to be good. We arenā€™t as good as City in a 38 game season, we just arenā€™t. We can beat anyone on any day, but even with the upgrades to our squad it doesnā€™t compare to Cityā€™s.

But, today was a good result. If we can keep up this form and allow ourselves to stay within striking distance than who knows. Maybe they have an unlucky spell or some key injuries. City are gonna have to lose the league, but we have to be there to take it. Games like this are gonna be key. Staying unbeaten against the top and beating the teams outside the top 6 will give us a shot.

After not winning the league for so long I think thatā€™s all we can ask for at the moment

We have to perform better than we've done so far this season that is for sure. From now until January it's vital that we keep City within our distance by New Year because after New Year that is our opportunity to ramp up our performances in a fashion similar to last season.

But the reality is City are still performing at an almighty high and a few signings and few Ā£Ā£Ā£s spent will not usurp that gap in quality in one season. When they descend over that crest of performance we have to be the ones ready with a primed team instead of letting Chelsea (or even Arsenal) slide past us. It's questionable whether they will pass that peak this season but next season it could well happen. Absolutely vital that we continue building and working hard in the transfer market and on the training field to improve. That's my problem with this narrative of 'title or bust' that some of us have allowed to develop this year. We can't allow this year to be the 'be all and end all' season where if we don't win it then it's gone forever because it endangers us writing off next season by going into it with a poor wistful attitude.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #485: Nov 03, 2018 07:59:33 pm
      Without having the same information as Klopp and knowing exactly what the gameplan is, it's impossible to know.

It's posturing and bollocksology unless you have the information Klopp does.
      Simple as that.

You could say that, but if you take that position, it means the Manager can never be questioned.

Of course he's going to know more than us, but looking at the game, why not make the changes?
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #486: Nov 03, 2018 07:59:33 pm
      Blaming Alisson for that goal is laughable. He had to come out and close the angle - and he did it well. It was just a great bit of finishing from Lacazette. No blame whatsoever on Alisson, who had a good game.

CT_LFC - you're Loris Karius's mum aren't you? He's gone, get over it.

Yes I think he probably did, if he doesnā€™t itā€™s very likely Lacazette lashes it in first time. CT FC is our resident goal-keeping expert!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #487: Nov 03, 2018 08:01:08 pm
      Not only today, Klopp seems to lose the plot without Buvac. First he leaves out Shaq who could have given our midfield a boost, then he brings him when we lead 0-1 and could have used Lallana a lot better. What?!?

F***ing idiot.

Playing Shaqiri against that Arsenal would have been, as JD stated at the start of the thread, a luxury too far. Christ, I know Gini and Fabinho were poor today but tactically it was the only midfield we could have played.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #488: Nov 03, 2018 08:03:53 pm
      Why are people going on about Klopp bringing on Matip ?! It was with about 1 min to go and was purely to run the clock down

"IF" it was about running the clock down then why not throw on an attacker, or a midfielder...? At least if we got a chance in the dying embers of the game we might have been able to take it with a more attack minded play on the field  :f_doh:
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #489: Nov 03, 2018 08:04:07 pm
      Christ, I know Gini and Fabinho were poor today but tactically it was the only midfield we could have played.

Maybe in your deluded mind. The game itself proves me and others right who demanded Shaq. We played pathetic, no way we would have looked worse with Shaq.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #490: Nov 03, 2018 08:04:38 pm
      Based on that today I think the gooners have every chance to get themselves into the title mix up, I thought they were excellent. 12 months ago I think they probably score 2-3 goals but we have made such an improvement defensively and are so much more resilient. Whether we can win it all this season I donā€™t know but weā€™re msking a good fist of it so far.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #491: Nov 03, 2018 08:04:51 pm
      Not only today, Klopp seems to lose the plot without Buvac. First he leaves out Shaq who could have given our midfield a boost, then he brings him when we lead 0-1 and could have used Lallana a lot better. What?!?
      i don't think Klopps lost the plot, but his thought patterns in regards to why he makes the subs he does and the timing of substitutions are very strange. It reminds me of Benitez in some respects. His subs left me discombobulated as well.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #492: Nov 03, 2018 08:06:35 pm
      "IF" it was about running the clock down then why not throw on an attacker, or a midfielder...? At least if we got a chance in the dying embers of the game we might have been able to take it with a more attack minded play on the field  :f_doh:

And we could have got a set piece in the dying seconds and have a big tall CB to throw a ball into

But seriously what the F**k does it matter - it wastes a couple of seconds , he put in a tackle , cleared a ball - done and dusted

Blimey what the hell is going to happen when we lose
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #493: Nov 03, 2018 08:07:21 pm
      Did not think this would be an easy game, but if i am honest I thought we would win it, that was until I saw the midfield trio and then a doubt or two crept in. The first 10 minutes Arsenal was all over us but then things started to settle and we had our chances...
      I though that Firmino played well albeit a bit deep, but he had chances.

I thought James Milner when missing for periods of the game. He Scored, which was welcomed, but I felt that bring on Shaqiri for Bobby was a mistake, especially at 1-0 up you don't take of one of the front three when playing Arsenal, next thing it is 1-1 and we are one of our best Creative strikers down...  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Should have taken off Milner after his clash with Gomes and bought Shaqiri on.

Then Klopp, for me, compounds this by making the same mistake that cost up many games last season and brings on a defender for and attacker to try and see the match out.

Not happy with his choices this evening...

Man of the Match...? could go with VVD, deserves it, or Robertson, but for his tireless work against Arsenals speed merchant and often out pacing him I'll give it to Mane
      To be honest, I think Firmino has has had an incredibly poor season. The touch is off, associative play is worse off, and even his movement which is something that posed teams problems is nowhere to be seen.

Arsenal play two midfielders deep and overlapping fullbacks. That was always going to be a problem for him and it showed. These are those games where he has to notice what is happening around him and play higher up instead of always dropping deep.

I also think that Klopp has one hard job and it is a thankless one too. The attacking play last season got a lot of people excited and maybe he has lost something with Buvac leaving. That said, it is not easy when the guys you brought to sharpen up midfield are struggling. It also does not help that most of the returning players in that department outside Wijnaldum have not been great most of the season. It is not as easy as flipping the switch, and when you do not have the confidence in attack, you generally tend to fall back to what is getting you results.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #494: Nov 03, 2018 08:07:28 pm
      Maybe in your deluded mind. The game itself proves me and others right who demanded Shaq. We played pathetic, no way we would have looked worse with Shaq.
      if Shaqiri started Milner probably wouldn't have, Milner did well today. For Shaqiri to start we would have had to drop somebody from our front 3. If you remember, Arsenal scored their equaliser after he was put on.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #495: Nov 03, 2018 08:08:22 pm
      You could say that, but if you take that position, it means the Manager can never be questioned.

Of course he's going to know more than us, but looking at the game, why not make the changes?

Of course you can have an opinion and make it known, but some idiots make categorical statements as though their opinion is a fact.
      There's a difference.

Every man and his dog knows managers bring on a defender in the last minute or so to waste a bit of time.

Fabinho was on a card, which probably changed Klopp's thinking.
      We've seen plenty of times in other matches when a player is on a card, he's been brought off, but today, we didn't have the luxury of a player who could do a similar job.

Subs are mostly pre-planned, and who comes on when is dependent on how Klopp's plan is working.
      None of us know that plan, so to categorically state that he got something wrong, is categorically wrong.

Like I said, we all have an opinion, and that's great.
      Saying that an opinion is fact, is wrong.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #496: Nov 03, 2018 08:08:36 pm
      Bringing on a big CB to add in another number isnā€™t going to ā€œinvite pressureā€ or increase the risk with about 40 seconds left to go for Christ sakes.

???
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #497: Nov 03, 2018 08:08:41 pm

If Shaqiri played then we would have been even more exposed you lemon. Even when he came on he gave the ball away twice in the first couple of mins which led to them attacking .

The games against the better teams you need three strong centre Mids
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #498: Nov 03, 2018 08:09:21 pm
      if Shaqiri started Milner probably wouldn't have, Milner did well today. For Shaqiri to start we would have had to drop somebody from our front 3. If you remember, Arsenal scored their equaliser after he was put on.

But that doesn't make it Shaqiri,s fault
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #499: Nov 03, 2018 08:11:37 pm
      Another game another poor performance. The difference between Arsenal and us was staggering. We were trying to hump the ball to Salah(as usually) when under pressure and they always tried to play on the ground when other pressure. We really miss Ox/Cout and were very very lucky to go home with a point
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #500: Nov 03, 2018 08:12:33 pm
      They had good openings all game. Their crossing was off, their finishing was off, and at times their decision making one pass away e.g. Mkhitaryan not crossing to Aubameyang, was off.

That goal that was conceded was coming all game regardless of who played.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #501: Nov 03, 2018 08:12:40 pm
      Yes the midfield dose not create enough it's going to very close for the top four positions this season
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #502: Nov 03, 2018 08:12:43 pm
      And we could have got a set piece in the dying seconds and have a big tall CB to throw a ball into

But seriously what the f**k does it matter - it wastes a couple of seconds , he put in a tackle , cleared a ball - done and dusted

Blimey what the hell is going to happen when we lose
      It has cost us in the past doing just that. It has, and does in invite pressure on to us
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #503: Nov 03, 2018 08:15:25 pm
      i don't think Klopps lost the plot, but his thought patterns in regards to why he makes the subs he does and the timing of substitutions are very strange. It reminds me of Benitez in some respects. His subs left me discombobulated as well.

Baldrick brings out a big word.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #504: Nov 03, 2018 08:15:53 pm
      The player that needs dropping now is none ither thsn Bobby. I don't see him much in this game. That's what sets him apart from a world class player that influences every game and not turn up one in every 5 or 6 games and he has been msssing from games and needs a rest. The only front players trying to create something were Mane and Salah.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #505: Nov 03, 2018 08:16:24 pm
      We woz robbed Ref .

Quick Reply