Trending Topics

Next match: Watford v LFC [Premier League] Sat 24th Nov @ 3:00 pm
      Vicarage Road

Today is the 21st of November and on this date LFC's match record is P22 W8 D6 L8

1 former player you'd love now

Read 1192 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 988 posts | 164 
      Re: 1 former player you'd love now
      Reply #30: Nov 10, 2018 08:17:44 pm
      Try watching football from before the premier league.

Souness would have eaten Masch for breakfast, and was a better passer than Alonso.

I don't think he was a better passer than Alonso. But he was a great passer. Basically with Souness you got both sides - Masherano like tackling and at least almost Alonso like passing. Very tight between him and Stevie for our best ever CM. I would go for Stevie, but it's close.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,036 posts | 1671 
      Reply #31: Nov 10, 2018 08:32:33 pm
      Agree and I still maintain Gerrard was better playing as a forward then a traditional CM.

Yep.

I'd say Gerrard was a more naturally gifted footballer, but Souness was better in the midfield.

Gerrard behind Torres, as a kind of 10 I suppose, was f**king awesome.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,036 posts | 1671 
      Reply #32: Nov 10, 2018 08:33:50 pm
      I don't think he was a better passer than Alonso. But he was a great passer. Basically with Souness you got both sides - Masherano like tackling and at least almost Alonso like passing. Very tight between him and Stevie for our best ever CM. I would go for Stevie, but it's close.

I'm basing it on consistency mate.

Souness was consistently brilliant in his passing and had a real eye for it.
      As we know, Alonso was a bit hot and cold for us, and more cold than hot.
      Ribapuru
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,288 posts | 952 
      Reply #33: Nov 10, 2018 10:00:09 pm
      It's basically best Liverpool player ever thread  number 46446544664467. For me it's Gerrard. I don't even need to think about it.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,296 posts | 109 
      Reply #34: Nov 10, 2018 10:54:57 pm
      John Barnes one greatest player at make things happen winning games on his own
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,296 posts | 109 
      Reply #35: Nov 10, 2018 10:56:34 pm
      He had everything power pace skill like Brazil player
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,036 posts | 1671 
      Reply #36: Nov 10, 2018 10:58:25 pm
      John Barnes one greatest player at make things happen winning games on his own

He had everything power pace skill like Brazil player

Fair shout that mate.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,708 posts | 2390 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #37: Nov 10, 2018 11:33:38 pm
      Sami Hyypia alongside VVD and we'd never concede a goal, like ever !!!
      Derek1892
      • Forum Youth Player

• 20 posts |
      Reply #38: Nov 10, 2018 11:44:34 pm
      Nick Barmby. Too shut the blues up one last time
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,036 posts | 1671 
      Reply #39: Nov 10, 2018 11:44:45 pm
      Sami Hyypia alongside VVD and we'd never concede a goal, like ever !!!

I was thinking Hansen personally, when I mulled over defenders, but they might be too alike (VVD and Hansen) in which case Hyypia is a good shout.
      « Last Edit: Nov 11, 2018 12:13:52 am by Swab »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,413 posts | 1983 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #40: Nov 11, 2018 12:01:37 am
      Try watching football from before the premier league.

Souness would have eaten Masch for breakfast, and was a better passer than Alonso.

Hard to compare.

If you look at things in a vacuum then it's obvious todays players are vastly superior in terms of athleticism, there's no arguing that. However to really look at things properly you have to account facilities available, the rules of the time and the players they would be playing with and against and think 'what would x have done in y's time period'. Would Souness in him prime if plucked from the 80s be good in todays game? Not a f**king hope in hell, he'd be left huffing and puffing and without doubt be sent off. However if he was born in 1990 with the same 'natural talent' if you want to call it that, raised through the system with the facilities and played and developed into the game we play today, he'd undoubtedly be top quality (if any of that makes sense :laugh: ) One of footballs most fascinating questions in my eyes.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,366 posts | 2441 
      Reply #41: Nov 11, 2018 12:09:51 am
      Got to be the King for me.

There is a reason why he was given that nick name, he was brilliant and he loved the club.

Hence why I can’t understand all the votes for Suarez!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,036 posts | 1671 
      Reply #42: Nov 11, 2018 12:13:26 am
      Hard to compare.

If you look at things in a vacuum then it's obvious todays players are vastly superior in terms of athleticism, there's no arguing that. However to really look at things properly you have to account facilities available, the rules of the time and the players they would be playing with and against and think 'what would x have done in y's time period'. Would Souness in him prime if plucked from the 80s be good in todays game? Not a f**king hope in hell, he'd be left huffing and puffing and without doubt be sent off. However if he was born in 1990 with the same 'natural talent' if you want to call it that, raised through the system with the facilities and played and developed into the game we play today, he'd undoubtedly be top quality (if any of that makes sense :laugh: ) One of footballs most fascinating questions in my eyes.

I get what you mean, 100%, as I've had the same thoughts myself.
      I'd just make a couple of points though; never underestimate just how fit those lads were. The game was played at a breakneck pace back then as well, but we stood out (and won lots) because not only were we fitter, bigger, stronger, faster than most teams, we also played very fast football.
      My second point is that yes, Souness would have to modify his game, but I'd argue that he did that when he went to Sampdoria, and showed he was capable of playing different styles, like he played with Scotland back when they had some great players.

I know it's different times, I just think the levels are not as far apart as you think, and that the best players from any era would adapt quickly, especially in their prime.

It is one of footballs most fascinating questions, but as above, special is special in any era, in my view.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,036 posts | 1671 
      Reply #43: Nov 11, 2018 12:14:52 am
      Got to be the King for me.

There is a reason why he was given that nick name, he was brilliant and he loved the club.

Hence why I can’t understand all the votes for Suarez!

It's the same for me when people say Torres instead of Rush.
      I just don't get it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,881 posts | 3583 
      Reply #44: Nov 11, 2018 01:20:14 am
      Gerrard 2009 for our current team. No question.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,560 posts | 2526 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #45: Nov 11, 2018 02:07:24 am
      Lots of cracking players named and it really is close between the likes of Souness to Kenny to Xabi to Suarez etc but for me, Gerrard. Just imagine him in the team we have now!

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,036 posts | 1671 
      Reply #46: Nov 11, 2018 02:08:03 am
      Gerrard 2009 for our current team. No question.

It's difficult to debate against that point, but I'll give it a bash   :laugh:, bearing in mind it's only one player to add to this team/squad.

Gerrard would give us a huge boost in the slot for the furthest forward midfielder, no doubt, but I would argue that having Souness in the 8 (ish) position gives us the triple luxury of having a creative player who can pass very well, a defender who can destroy AND he would provide both an attacking and defensive platform from a deeper position, which in turn would allow us to play another attacker (Shaqiri perhaps) without giving away any defensive solidity.

I know you could say the same about Gerrard, but I honestly think that in a deeper position, with the players we have, Souness is the better option, simply because he gives us more options further forwards.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 728 posts | 206 
      Reply #47: Nov 11, 2018 02:13:24 am
      Suarez. Best player I have ever seen in a Red shirt for my money. Gerrard is a legend and is our boy, but Suarez is a class scorer who has the ability of Salah inside the box and the talent outside of it to shoot and score from distance when teams sit back.
      Billy1

• 9,931 posts | 1377 
      Reply #48: Nov 11, 2018 02:34:27 am
      Tommy Smith would put some bight into the present team.Oh and a young Ray Clemence  while we are dreaming.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,025 posts | 1975 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #49: Nov 11, 2018 08:30:11 am
      Coin flip between Alonso or Gerrard from circa 2008.
      Gerrard would certainly bridge that gap we often see between midfield and attack.
      Alonso would give us that vision missing in midfield.
      Two different ways of maybe achieving the same thing.
      Neither of which we see replicated in the current team.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,413 posts | 1983 
      Reply #50: Nov 11, 2018 10:04:17 am
      He wouldn't be close to my top pick but I'd have loved to see Dirk Kuyt play under Klopp. Perfect player for his system.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,098 posts | 1626 
      Reply #51: Nov 11, 2018 10:05:52 am
      Coin flip between Alonso or Gerrard from circa 2008.
      Gerrard would certainly bridge that gap we often see between midfield and attack.
      Alonso would give us that vision missing in midfield.
      Two different ways of maybe achieving the same thing.
      Neither of which we see replicated in the current team.

I think, in time, Fab will give a more than passable (see what I did there ;)) impression of Xabi......
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,779 posts | 138 
      Reply #52: Nov 11, 2018 10:06:16 am
      Out of many players that come to mind, I will go for Kenny Dalglish.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,829 posts | 2555 
      Reply #53: Nov 11, 2018 10:09:27 am
      Phil Neal as we are supposed to pick only one right. Just check out his record it is just crazy talk about playing through the pain this man felt no pain only glory.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,098 posts | 1626 
      Reply #54: Nov 11, 2018 10:10:04 am
      Tommy Smith would put some bight into the present team.Oh and a young Ray Clemence  while we are dreaming.

Safe to say Senor Ramos wouldn’t have taken the same liberties with our Mo Billy!

Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,413 posts | 1983 
      Reply #55: Nov 11, 2018 10:11:22 am
      I get what you mean, 100%, as I've had the same thoughts myself.
      I'd just make a couple of points though; never underestimate just how fit those lads were. The game was played at a breakneck pace back then as well, but we stood out (and won lots) because not only were we fitter, bigger, stronger, faster than most teams, we also played very fast football.
      My second point is that yes, Souness would have to modify his game, but I'd argue that he did that when he went to Sampdoria, and showed he was capable of playing different styles, like he played with Scotland back when they had some great players.

I know it's different times, I just think the levels are not as far apart as you think, and that the best players from any era would adapt quickly, especially in their prime.

It is one of footballs most fascinating questions, but as above, special is special in any era, in my view.

Good points mate, hard for me to say as unfortunately never got to see them play. I always draw comparisons to track and field or any other sport assessed by time it takes to finish and how things are constantly improving but I take your point about them not being 'unfit' so to speak.
      LondonRed83

• 7,266 posts | 677 
      Reply #56: Nov 11, 2018 10:12:21 am
      Steven Gerrard= best player of all time.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,381 posts | 889 
      Reply #57: Nov 11, 2018 11:40:20 am
      Peak Suarez. He'd be perfect for this Klopp team. A Gnarly, horrible, clinical and wonderfully talented footballer is what we need now.
      Billo

• 6,499 posts | 252 
      Reply #58: Nov 11, 2018 11:55:10 am
      Young Gerrard.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,036 posts | 1671 
      Reply #59: Nov 11, 2018 11:58:52 am
      Good points mate, hard for me to say as unfortunately never got to see them play. I always draw comparisons to track and field or any other sport assessed by time it takes to finish and how things are constantly improving but I take your point about them not being 'unfit' so to speak.

My understanding, limited though it is, is that the biggest breakthroughs have been in fitness monitoring and injury prevention, with a better understanding of diet and rest, which allows "elite" players' fitness to be managed much more effectively, which I think is different from actual fitness level differences between different era's.

Will continue another time as match is about to start.

Quick Reply