Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Alisson
      12 (9.5%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (2.4%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (1.6%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      24 (19%)
      Andy Robertson
      68 (54%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      5 (4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      7 (5.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Fabinho
      4 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Voting closed: Jan 07, 2019 09:53:51 pm

Manchester City 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 38338 times
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,268 posts | 1001 
      Re: Manchester City 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #736: Jan 03, 2019 10:12:44 pm
      So agueros touch and finish was sh*t and sane was poor....always need someone to blame fans like you.

So agueros touch and finish was sh*t and sane was poor....always need someone to blame fans like you.

I won’t answer the ‘fans like you’ comment, because it doesn’t deserve a comment! As a Liverpool supporter I concentrate on my team, I never said Aguero finish was S*hit or Sane was poor, but I appreciate how my team plays. We weren’t at our best, but we could and should have been 2 up inside 30  mins, and Company should have seen Red. So crawl back under whatever stone has your teams name on it, because with comments like’ fans like you’ you sure as hell are not a Red!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,310 posts | 1521 
      Reply #737: Jan 03, 2019 10:13:00 pm
      Not sure what the bookies think makes a huge difference to our aspirations. Ask anyone from Leicester !
      Oh, and Robbie my motm.
      Showed Sterling he’s quite ordinary amongst the greats 😁
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,921 posts | 4986 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #738: Jan 03, 2019 10:13:22 pm
      Disappointing, especially the midfield selection, Klopp needs to stop his love in with Milner, its ridiculous, as soon as Fabinho came on we looked better. Until he took Mane off, wtf was that about?
      Final point when is Gomez back because Lovren is starting to annoy me again.

Cos Mane was sh*te, was never in the game, agree Fab should have started , not being too harsh on  our lads, we just lost to the champions at their yard, we got unlucky with the first goal, or non goal, got beaten by a bit of class from a class player, in Aguero,  and their second was on the break, and fair enough,  for me 2-2 would have been a fairer result, on the night City had the rub of the green,  we're still top 4 clear, onwards and upwards.

YNWA
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #739: Jan 03, 2019 10:13:40 pm
      I fully agree but to me that seemed to be how Klopp wanted us to play; allow City to have the ball and then set traps to ceate mistakes. It worked on a number of occasions but we were so wasteful with the ball. There had to be a point in that game where we pressed the crap out of them and forced them to make mistakes that way but we rarely ever did.

We're just not used to this way of playing. But still a good effort given that this style is new to the boys.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #740: Jan 03, 2019 10:13:44 pm
      Just a blow isn't it. Fact is if we lose any game City will probably win so the 6 point thing is a little bit much.

The thing is if we want to win this thing, I really believe we have to throw the champions league away. This is a tight race now and the bookies probably have us second favourite.

starting with the FA CUP I think the forum should put out an X1. Let the media have their Pep love in but even Pep will know he was lucky tonight and we will not be that unlucky again. I thought Fernandhion should have been off after his first two assaults on our players and then Kompany feet off the ground endangering an opponent. This is how it goes I guess along with technology beating us
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #741: Jan 03, 2019 10:13:58 pm
      It's sucks to lose but have to say we're in a fantastic position, 4 points above Ciry and coming from winning all games in December.

Getting beat by City is not the end of the world, that's got to be the most difficult game of the season, but the game feels that was there for grabs. Don't thing that midfield three works in games like this (same happened in Paris) leaves out front three isolated since there is little creativity.

The most important thing is how we come back after this game, City lost 2 out of their next 3 after Chelsea beat them. We've got Brighton (A), Palace (H), Leicester (H), West Ham (A) and Bournemouth (H), so we should be with 69 points when we visit the Old Toilet at the end of February.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 2810 
      Reply #742: Jan 03, 2019 10:14:08 pm
      5 very winnable games in which time City have Arsenal and Chelsea whilst Spurs have United. Both have the League Cup semis too.

Time to go again.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,121 posts | 126 
      Reply #743: Jan 03, 2019 10:14:10 pm
      Not arsed about city, its about us.
      WE GO AGAIN Reds
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #744: Jan 03, 2019 10:14:14 pm
      First of all, let's get MOTM out of the way. I thought Trent was outstanding. Robertson was a close runner up but most of our attacks came down Trent's side and he had Sane in his pocket for most of the match.

As for the match itself, I'm livid at the boys right now. Thought that was our worst performance in some time. Far too much sloppy passing, way too many sideways and backward passes when we were a goal down (both times) and a general all round lack of hunger and desire from them. City wanted it more and it showed on the night. Mane stank the place out, beyond his missed chance in the first half. He looked half arsed and gave the ball away too often.

Not impressed with the selection of Milner over an in form Fabinho, and why he waited so long to bring Shaq on is beyond me. Subs again showed a lack of depth up front and something that needs some attention moving forward. Studge's legs have gone and he offered nothing when he came on late in the game.

All that being said, we're still four points clear of City so our title dreams remain firmly in our own hands. The real test is how they react to this defeat. It's vital they pick themselves up, dust themselves off and get back to winning ways at Brighton.

Your first paragraph was so funny I couldn’t read the rest of the post!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,610 posts | 3915 
      Reply #745: Jan 03, 2019 10:14:57 pm
      My fault for watching it down the pub for once. I jinxed it
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #746: Jan 03, 2019 10:15:27 pm
      Gave him MOTM, thought he was great again.

We were not at our best tonight but we were still in the game and could have easily won that
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #747: Jan 03, 2019 10:16:27 pm
      Disappointing, especially the midfield selection, Klopp needs to stop his love in with Milner, its ridiculous, as soon as Fabinho came on we looked better. Until he took Mane off, wtf was that about?
      Also thought that Fab' should have started a head of Milner, and why the f**k does Klopp take off Mane and bring on Shaqiri...? surely it should have been Gini of Shaqiri. Mane is a goal scorer and is more likely to get on to a ball in from Shaqiri than Gini...

Weird one that
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #748: Jan 03, 2019 10:16:37 pm
      5 very winnable games in which time City have Arsenal and Chelsea whilst Spurs have United. Both have the League Cup semis too.

Time to go again.

F**k this one its done who is next and lets rip them apart
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #749: Jan 03, 2019 10:18:06 pm
      We were unlucky. 1cm away from scoring, and they must have cleared their line about 3 times on top of that. Hardly a crisis. If your response to losing our first league game in the 21st round against one of the world's best teams, away from home, is to go hysterical, then it's your problem, not the team's. Seriously. We'll move on. Still top by a good margin.

I agree, world class save by Ederson to keep Salah out, utterly world class. I also didn't think we were poor or great, just decent as a team with some below average individual performances.

I thought Lovren looked below average throughout. He got beaten a few times too easily for my liking. Another thing I noticed (reminded yet again tbh) is how poor his aerial awareness is, he just seems to head the ball into 50/50 zones even when he has the time and space.

Not gonna talk about Henderson's second half performance as I will probably be labeled a hater, so cba. Also keeping Wijnaldum in the half spaces probably wasn't a good idea after our goal.

Anyway, we played the "best team in PL history" and lost, time to move on and forget about this game imo.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #750: Jan 03, 2019 10:18:17 pm
      big supporter of Dejan and we need him so much now but who gave him MOTM do we have Mancs on here
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #751: Jan 03, 2019 10:18:58 pm
      Won a game not the league we go again

YNWA
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #752: Jan 03, 2019 10:19:03 pm
      I won’t answer the ‘fans like you’ comment, because it doesn’t deserve a comment! As a Liverpool supporter I concentrate on my team, I never said Aguero finish was S*hit or Sane was poor, but I appreciate how my team plays. We weren’t at our best, but we could and should have been 2 up inside 30  mins, and Company should have seen Red. So crawl back under whatever stone has your teams name on it, because with comments like’ fans like you’ you sure as hell are not a Red!

Well support all your F***ing team then you c**t and stop looking for scapegoats...while he wears our shirt he gets supported plenty of others were not good enough tonight he's an easy target so F**k you
      Redangel

• 8,268 posts | 1001 
      Reply #753: Jan 03, 2019 10:19:25 pm
      f**k this one its done who is next and lets rip them apart

Exactly, it’s how we react to this that will be most telling! We need to rip them apart, whoever it is. So puddled after that, I cannot remember who we play next, doesn’t matter, let’s rip them anyway!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #754: Jan 03, 2019 10:19:27 pm
      That's why I hope we still go for Fekir. We need more quality in the midfield. Against almost all teams our's is enough, but against Barca, Juve or City it's not. But again: Jürgen had to play it safe. What reliable options did he have?

Fekir ain't coming. Didn't like the weather.
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #755: Jan 03, 2019 10:19:31 pm
      Come on, every Liverpool fan would have settled for being in this position at the start of January!   
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #756: Jan 03, 2019 10:21:44 pm
      Just beaten by the better team tonight.

Man enough to accept it without throwing anyone in the sh*t
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,524 posts | 1661 
      • YNWA
      Reply #757: Jan 03, 2019 10:21:47 pm
      We were not at our best tonight but we were still in the game and could have easily won that

Dunno, possibly - ironically though thought City were hungrier on the night, and we only really went for them when 2-1 down. Maybe if Fab started and we pressed them harder from the start would've been different. Could've got the draw alright, but just felt like one of those nights when it wasn't going to go our way, even though we made them work damn hard for the 3 pts.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #758: Jan 03, 2019 10:22:08 pm
      I think I heard on sky "it's city's title to lose"...

Quick Reply