Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Article: Interview with Didi Hamann

Read 1941 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Article: Interview with Didi Hamann
      Nov 15, 2007 05:39:24 pm
      DIDI HAMANN TALKS TO LIVERPOOLFC.TV
      Paul Hassall
      15 November 2007

When a dejected Liverpool side trudged off the pitch at the Olympic Stadium in Athens back in May, one or two fans could have been forgiven for wondering just what Didi Hamann was up to that night.

The former Reds midfielder had been a key figure in the Champions League and FA Cup successes of 2005 and 2006, when his appearance as a substitute in both the Ataturk and the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff helped spark a Reds revival.

But after leaving for a fresh challenge with Manchester City during the previous summer's transfer window, the German was conspicuous by his absence when the Reds lost 2-1 in Greece.

So could it be that simple?

Was the Reds' defeat down to the fact that they were missing the 'Hamann factor?'

"I don't think so," says Hamann, with a modest laugh.

"It's one of those things that just happened. I don't know if it's anything to do with me, the games did change when I came on, but obviously when you come on you try to help out as much as you can and it worked out in those two games. But I don't think there's any Didi factor!!"

The Reds legend was quick to dismiss the notion during an exclusive interview with Liverpoolfc.tv, in which he talked openly about our title chances, the difference between Rafa and Sven and why he feels Momo Sissoko will prove his doubters wrong.

Bayer Leverkusen, Dietmar Hamann

The German cum honourary scouser endured a difficult first season at Eastlands, but under new boss Sven Goran Eriksson he is enjoying somewhat of a renaissance, playing an important role in their fine start to the Premier League campaign.

He is focused on all-things Manchester City nowadays, but admits that he misses life at Liverpool and will always look back on his time at Anfield with pride.

"I have some great memories from my time there," said Hamann. "I'd love to have finished my career at Anfield, but it just wasn't meant to happen. It's like a second home for me and it's always great to go back.

"We play Liverpool at home in December and then we visit Anfield in the second to last game of the season, so I'm really looking forward to those two games."

Hamann enjoyed a glorious seven-year spell with the Reds in which he made 283 appearances and scored 11 goals.

But despite winning eight trophies in that time, the Premier League title continued to elude him.

Since his departure the club have undergone change both on and off the pitch and although Rafael Benitez's side suffered a dip in form recently, he is confident they can go on and make a strong challenge for the league crown.

"They are still unbeaten but they are probably not in the position they would like to be in after the start they had," he said.

"They dropped two points against both Arsenal and Chelsea at home, so they've got to go to those places and get results, and everyone knows how hard it is to go to the Emirates and Stamford Bridge and win.

"So it won't make it any easier, but I think if they go on a run, they are capable of winning eight to 10 matches in a row - so why not?"

"I think Rafa is very good and is up there as one of the best managers in Europe," enthused Hamann.

"That's what I said when I left the club and I still believe that today.

"It's different class what he has done since he arrived. If you look at the results we had when I was there, even if we didn't do so well in the league, he did brilliantly in the domestic cups and the Champions League, especially with the players that he had back then."

From the tactical genius and complex gestures of Rafa through to the calm demeanour and passive approach of Sven, Hamann has worked under two of the continent's top coaches during his time in England.

But just how much does he feel the two characters contrast?

"They are different but then everyone has their own way of doing it," said Hamann.

"Rafa likes to get involved more on a daily basis, while Sven watches from the background and doesn't speak as much as Rafa.

"But they both know what they are doing and their records are both great and like I say, everyone has their own style."

The Reds are currently enduring a miserable run of luck with injuries in the midfield department and although Hamann believes the loss of Xabi Alonso is a massive blow, he is hopeful Momo Sissoko will raise his game and show the form that made him a mainstay in the side during his first season with the club.

"I think Alonso's injury is a bitter blow," said Hamann. "You've seen in recent weeks how much they've missed him. I think he compliments Stevie well and to miss him for a length of time will be a massive blow for Liverpool.

"But they've got some real quality in midfield and the likes of Momo Sissoko can come in.

"Momo is only young but I think he offers them something different from Mascherano and Stevie, in that he is a real ball winner.

"He covers as much ground as anyone and wins a lot of balls. But he's obviously not as high in confidence as he should be.

"If he gets a few games under his belt and keeps it simple, he'll be alright. When I was there I think his passing improved and I expected him to continue to play well.

"I haven't seen all the games this season but I think he'll be okay and recapture the form that saw him do so well when he first arrived."

At the age of 34, Hamann is now in the twilight of his career and while he has not made a decision on his future just yet, he admits he won't rule out a role in coaching when he finally hangs up his boots.

"I'll probably do my badges over the next few years," he revealed.

"Whether I actually do want to manage or coach I'm not sure yet. But I'll get the paper work and see what happens. It's certainly an option."

So there's a possibility that in the years to come Reds fans could once again experience the 'Didi Factor,' but this time from within the dugout?
      [Laughs] "I doubt it," smiles Hamann. "I seriously doubt it, but I suppose you never know in football do you?"

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N157612071115-1152.htm
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Re: Article: Interview with Didi Hamann
      Reply #1: Nov 15, 2007 06:25:30 pm
      Legend, love Didi, top fella 
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #2: Nov 16, 2007 07:01:10 am
      one of my favorite players of all time, and a great guy.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #3: Nov 16, 2007 11:46:55 am
      If Didi stepped up to take a penalty, it was as good as in the back of the net...scored a couple of crackers in his time as well...
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4: Nov 16, 2007 01:07:21 pm
      Didi was and still is a LFC legend.....you'll always be a KOP favorite mate :aaliverpoolwz0:
      ferrariboy21
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      • redhalfofmerseyside
      Reply #5: Nov 16, 2007 06:38:57 pm
      Massive player. Can't believe he's already 34 now.

Quick Reply