Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man Utd?

Alisson
      32 (29.4%)
       Fabinho
      37 (33.9%)
      Joel Matip
      8 (7.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      8 (7.3%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (2.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (4.6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      14 (12.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.9%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (0.9%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Voting closed: Feb 28, 2019 03:59:05 pm

Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 41862 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #1035: Feb 25, 2019 03:30:13 pm
      The real issue is that teams are much more effective at isolating our front 3, and crowding them out.

We need to find solutions to this.

The easy solution to that is to have midfield runners to disrupt the opposition defence and penetrate or at least create gaps.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1036: Feb 25, 2019 03:35:56 pm
      The real issue is that teams are much more effective at isolating our front 3, and crowding them out.

We need to find solutions to this.

Until Ox is back and fit I think this will be an issue for the rest of the season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1037: Feb 25, 2019 03:41:36 pm
      Until Ox is back and fit I think this will be an issue for the rest of the season.

cough cough Keita, cough cough Shaquiri, seriously they can both do a job as advanced midfielders, we have to get more movement into the midfield, its far to passive sometimes.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1038: Feb 25, 2019 03:43:32 pm
      cough cough Keita, cough cough Shaquiri, seriously they can both do a job as advanced midfielders, we have to get more movement into the midfield, its far to passive sometimes.

They are the reason Klopp uses a 4-2-2-2 this season.
      Which has neither in the 10.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1039: Feb 25, 2019 03:51:23 pm

Agreed.

Keita isn't quite there yet so unless he suddenly discovers a big bag of form, we need work arounds.

As you say, the Klopp cock is a work around.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1040: Feb 25, 2019 03:52:47 pm
      One thing this season has taught me is how insecure people are and their need to do two things: i) create narratives; and ii) project their fears onto other people.

So bored of "this is the most important game of the season", or of the past 29 years, or bollocks like that. People said it about Leicester, said it about Man City, about Man United, and so on. Guess what, none of those are or were truly season defining games, it's just you - and the media, for sure, as narratives gets clicks - falling for whatever narrative makes more sense in your head. There's a psychology thesis to be written here somewhere. It's harder to acknowledge that the long run is what matters, and hardly ever one single game is the "turnaround" or "statement of intent" you hear about. Those are just clichés. For all the "need a big performance tonight", or "need to show balls", or whatever you need to tell yourself, in the end what really matters is getting the points. It's you who is in need of a big performance, not the Liverpool players, because even if they give you one - as they did vs Bournemouth - you'll be back to saying the same overused line the moment they're not so great again.

Which brings me to the second lesson. How people like to project their fears onto others. I know many of you are shitting bricks because you think you're such long suffering poor sods who "have been here before" (I've argued elsewhere that no, you haven't, but anyway) and can't really hold your nerves until May. So you project that onto the players - they should have shown character, they've no bottle, and bla bla bla. Nah, they've shown enough bottle and quality; this is, after all, the world's most competitive league and we're still stop in late February. No one knows if we'll win the league or not, but predicting doom from August onwards (remember in August/September when we kept winning but you were all worried about our performances and how we were "not as good as last season"? I do) and then saying "no one will be happier if I'm wrong" isn't really an opinion, it's just your insecure self struggling to deal with reality. Get a grip.

Great post.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1041: Feb 25, 2019 03:57:32 pm
      You might need a statement game.

Team needs 3 points.

3 points makes its own statement and everyone's happy.

Or not....
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1042: Feb 25, 2019 03:58:49 pm
      A routine win in midweek will see 12 pages of match thread.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1043: Feb 25, 2019 04:00:39 pm
      A routine win in midweek will see 12 pages of match thread.

Barry keeps his head down and his neck in when we win........unless we only win because Jürgen picked his team ;)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1044: Feb 25, 2019 04:07:41 pm

A lot of people said that.at the start of the season and nothing's changed
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1045: Feb 25, 2019 04:15:32 pm
      A lot of people said that.at the start of the season and nothing's changed

Nothing has changed because it's still an issue.
      It's why the team changes from 4-3-3 to 4-2-2-2.
      There is no proper 10 in there.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1046: Feb 25, 2019 04:17:13 pm
      Nothing has changed because it's still an issue.
      It's why the team changes from 4-3-3 to 4-2-2-2.
      There is no proper 10 in there.

Hopefully will be addressed in the summer
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #1047: Feb 25, 2019 04:24:21 pm
      Yes I'm hoping to god he won't be out for long, we really need him.

We don't need him.

We need to know how to play without him.
      Xink
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #1048: Feb 25, 2019 06:42:08 pm
      There's a number of things concerning me.

Firstly - Letting Clyne go out on loan with no cover at right back is a shocking error.

It was a shame to see Bobby get injured yesterday but I don't think he's had a good game for us since the Arsenal game before Xmas.

People calling for Keita yesterday ... Is he still sitting on no goals and no assists all season ? Not sure what he would have done to help us win.

Our form stalling isn't the only mitigating factor .. Teams - Munich Included are defending in the style of a Championship side in an FA CUP match.... They know if they try and play football we will blow them away so they defend with 11 men behind the ball as that's the only way they think to stop us ... It happened at West Ham - Munich - Man Utd and Leicester to an extent. No idea what the answer is but most teams appear to have our number now.

My only hope is that come May we aren't looking back to that Mane 1cm line clearance in Jan against Man City - My fear is that we will be .
      As a footnote the crossing by Milner was shocking yesterday and the Salah free kick just summed the match up for me... It was clear after 60 minutes we weren't gonna score and again we were lucky not to have lost 
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #1049: Feb 25, 2019 07:02:13 pm
       There someone from Chicago on here no? Anyways just reading a twitter whine from a dude showed up at their offi pub 5 minutes before kick off and got arsey cos it was full and he couldn't get in! Who would of thunk this game would pack out!https://twitter.com/ChicagoLFC.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1050: Feb 25, 2019 07:50:55 pm
      We don't need him.

We need to know how to play without him.

???

Yea will just replace him with Sturridge, who apparently is exempt from criticism because Klopp has under utilized him so it’s Jurgens fault.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #1051: Feb 25, 2019 08:36:30 pm
      The defence seems to have settled down nicely inspite of the injuries and now the midfield and front line is not functioning as what it should be. Probably something is very wrong with the tactics in midfield, certainly Klopp knows better than me. Crosses and corners  into the opposition box needs a vast improvement immediately, so are the final passes and Mane is the main culprit.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #1052: Feb 25, 2019 09:24:36 pm
      ???

Yea will just replace him with Sturridge, who apparently is exempt from criticism because Klopp has under utilized him so it’s Jurgens fault.

Why would you prefer Sturridge and not Shaqiri?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1053: Feb 25, 2019 10:21:12 pm
      Yes I'm hoping to god he won't be out for long, we really need him.

Said it before and I'll say it again. He's our most important player.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1054: Feb 25, 2019 10:30:00 pm
      Game highlighted the drop off from Mane, Firmino, Salah to Sturridge, Origi.
      Definitely need at least 2 new recruits in the front line if the squad is to improve.
      Firmino going off arguably hurt Liverpool more than United's losses hurt them.

Yep said that for a while. All the talk yesterday was United's injury hardships. But they brought on Lingard who went off for Sanchez.

Two players who can continue United's style of play from their chosen first XI.

Sadly for us we have Origi and Sturridge who even if they were good enough (they're not) don't suit or match the style Klopp wants to play.

We've cherry picked expensive players to help fill our first XI full of quality. We even have midfield depth with quality on the bench in that area. Next season we need to focus on getting forward players into the squad who compliment what Klopp is trying to do. A 10 type and a man who can play anywhere along the front 3.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1055: Feb 25, 2019 10:35:08 pm
      Nothing to be said that hasn't already been covered here! 

The best thing to come out of yesterday (aside from the point to put us back on top) was City having to play 2 hours + pens at Wembley and Fernandinho getting injured & being out for a few weeks.  They already looked leggy from the 2nd half onwards yesterday, and fighting on 4 fronts will really test their fitness.  They have a number of very winnable fixtures coming up, but it wouldn't surprise me if they dropped some points with the fatigue factor.

We just need to take care of business on Wednesday, then bury those blue-nose bitters on Sunday and things will feel a lot better than they do at the moment.

I fancy us to kick on now and start performing like we can.

COYR!!!

City could field a change starting 11 (seven different players from the bench) without really skipping a beat
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #1056: Feb 25, 2019 11:26:55 pm
      had a dream last night that we went out and signed Rui Costa when he was in his prime scoring goals and assisting Batistuta then my alarm clock went off reality sunk in we had a bad day at the office with 1 shot on goal in the whole game, truth is that the pressure is beginning to tell.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #1057: Feb 26, 2019 02:16:40 am
      In any other season then a point at old Trafford would be a good one. But after Sunday's draw I can't help but feel like it's two points dropped. That united team is sh*t and with all of their injuries on top I think they were for the taking. We're obviously challenging for the title too and there's very little room for error now. It was a great opportunity for three points.

I'll begin with the starting 11. I wasn't too disappointed seeing the team but I'd have played both Trent and Keita personally, presuming both were fully fit.

I thought the line up was a bit cautious and i think it showed during the match. Milner was in acres of space at times and found himself in some good positions. Unfortunately, he was quite wasteful and had that been Trent then I believe we might have created some better opportunities.

Likewise I thought our midfield was flat. We controlled the game in certain ways but we never really looked like threatening them and we were lacking that creative spark or drive from the middle. This game would have been perfect for naby I think, especially after he's been playing much better recently too.

Anyway, during the game I thought we were poor. We had plenty of the ball but we were just clueless in truth. Our final pass was crap and nobody fancied having a pop at goal. We could still be playing now and we wouldn't have scored.

We were relatively solid and well organised though. They had a couple of moments from set pieces mostly but other than that they didn't trouble us at all. I thought they were quite scared of us and wanted a point from the off. 0-0 was a fair result and it was just a sh*t, boring game and one to forget.

Only other thing to say about the match itself was when Bobby came off, I wouldn't have brought on Sturridge myself. I'd have brought in shaq and put Salah up top. As much as I love Daniel, I think his days are truly numbered now and I'd even go with origi before him.

Won't bother doing player ratings because nobody played particularly well and nobody played THAT bad either. I'd maybe give a special mention to Alisson for his great save. On the negative side then both Milner and Salah were a lot more wasteful than usual but it was just a crap game that we struggled to get into. Nobody played that great.

Was disappointed seeing hendersons reaction coming off. I'm sure the usual suspects on here have brushed it under the carpet but I found it disrespectful to both Jürgen and to shaqiri coming on. No point making a meal out of it, it's just not what id expect from our captain. Hopefully he apologised behind closed doors and we move on from it.

Worrying times for us now. Four draws out of the last five and we've lost our big lead at the top. As I said, there's very little room for error now.  We need to find our spark back and quickly because we've looked very flat in our games recently.

The game against Watford is a must win now. Big pressure on us. A convincing win would really give the lads a much needed confidence boost.

Quick Reply