Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

The Title run in -3 down, all games played:

Read 33688 times
      Kopite78
      Re: The Title run in - 1 down 2 to go.
      Reply #506: May 01, 2019 10:37:57 am
      Probably because they were the first draws after the City loss and allowed them to close the gap, a lot of fans I know feel like this. I put it down to sheer frustration. And he is right, people will forget the unbelievable season we've had if we don't have the trophy to show for it. Most fans here remember seasons like 2009 and 2014, but rest of the footballing world doesn't.

In any case, the season is not over yet and whether we win it or not, I'm optimistic most fans recognize just what we have done this season, even if they don't show it in every post.

So you take what the footballing world remembers over your own pride and enjoyment?

I'm looking at the big picture.. the experience and muscle memory this season will have given the squad, a squad that is only going to get stronger, will be massive.
      The hunger and drive if they miss out will make them want to carry on and win it next year

This is not a season built on sand like 13-14

I don't care what the footballing world remember.. I'll remember the days out this season has given me, the games at Anfield and the away trips..

As you say the season  isn't over but I still can't understand the want to pull the whole season down and complain over a couple of draws that may ultimately cost us but this is a team that has amassed over 90 points and in my opinion will only get stronger

It strikes me as toy throwing not legitimate frustrations

But each to their own
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #507: May 01, 2019 11:31:14 am
      Probably going to be more a case of a team winning the title as opposed to the other team losing it.

Certainly with those points tallys.   Can't see two sides ever getting over 90 points in the same season again.

I do agree with the general sentiment that draws are a real ballbag.  You're much better splitting them into equal wins and defeats, points wise.

General point remains though.  Liverpool have been better than Man City against the other 18 teams in the league and the only draw that can really be highlighted as a difference is us drawing with City at Anfield.  Had we won that we'd be two points clear.

Winning the 'easy games' has often been quoted as a problem we've had down the years. 

Our record against the bottom 10 this year is P19 W18 D1 L0.  People moaning about that need to get a quick grip back of reality because it is the best record you'll ever see LFC post. 

Thats the big difference this season, winning the so called easy games. well most of them anyway.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #508: May 01, 2019 11:41:07 am
      In any case, the season is not over yet and whether we win it or not, I'm optimistic most fans recognize just what we have done this season, even if they don't show it in every post.

I'm fairly sure they will as well.  It's very frustrating for us all at the minute, being this close.  After 08/09 and 13/14 though this feels different.  Both those sides had two or three central figures in the side.  This one looks like it's got 11 plus about 4 on the bench!
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #509: May 01, 2019 12:33:07 pm
      I'd read back then as he isn't talking about the head to head with City ( valid point which I raised at the time as momentum plays a massive part in sport) he's consistently banging on about two draws against Leicester and West ham and how we have ultimately lost the title

Which is why people make comments like this

Thanks though

Can see why you say that, and it does have some merit, But in truth it was the points we dropped in the games we drew after the lost to City. Remember we were 7 points ahead back then, and the loss to City gave us a four point lead, the draws is what see us where we are now, which is why some here point *at the Loss points (two in each case)* to Leicester and West Ham as deciding factors
      ** Edited

In the highlighted portion I am agreeing that the lost to City was part of the reason we find ourselves were we are now.

Thing is I give credence to that point, while you; give none to the points about the games we have drawn after that... 
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #510: May 01, 2019 12:34:37 pm
      So you take what the footballing world remembers over your own pride and enjoyment?

Not at all, and I don't appreciate it when people put words into my mouth or question my values regarding pride and enjoyment of supporting my team. I have loved every moment of this season. I'm an older fan and feel lucky enough to have lived through our evolution from the 80s to this day. My own pride and enjoyment of football and supporting my club is a personal journey, and nothing is above that. Hence I loved supporting this club as much in the disappointing years of the 90s as much as I do now. Just so happens I have witnessed a special season so far and I feel privileged for it whether we win the league or not.

I'm just saying, trophies matter at the end of the day. By no means does it mean it's been a disappointing season if we don't win the title. What we have done, competing against not one but effectively two City teams given their resources, is remarkable. Shouldn't stop me or anyone else having an opinion on the factors that may prevent us from bringing the cup home.

I'm looking at the big picture.. the experience and muscle memory this season will have given the squad, a squad that is only going to get stronger, will be massive.

I completely agree.

I also agree our future is incredibly bright at the moment, so we're not disagreeing on much.

Ps: In case you may have doubts at what I have just said

https://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,50978.msg2242719.html#msg2242719
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #511: May 01, 2019 12:34:58 pm
      I thought we're supposed to hate Vardy at this club. Not out of spite or anything, we're just supposed to hate him. And next week, probably will be.

Leicester have no chance against City imo. Either they will just fold completely, or if they don't, City will open them up at will and pick them off. Neither way is particularly attractive from our pov. As we know, Rodgers teams are not known for their defensive solidity. This is someone who took Celtic to the Nou Camp and reckoned they could compete. Celtic lost 7-0.

I'm afraid that we're probably relying on Brighton for a favour, and that is a big ask. We'll probably send them a year's free supply of fish and chips or something if they manage it.

Well, anyone any better ideas?

Leicester looked pretty solid in defence against Arsenal and they are certainly scoring plenty of goals at the moment.
      IF Citeh are in top form then they probably win the game but I still think Leicester with a bit of good fortune on their side, plus if they really turn up for the game, have as good a chance of getting a result of any team since Spurs and Spurs really should have won their match.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #512: May 01, 2019 12:35:02 pm
      I'm fairly sure they will as well.  It's very frustrating for us all at the minute, being this close.  After 08/09 and 13/14 though this feels different.  Both those sides had two or three central figures in the side.  This one looks like it's got 11 plus about 4 on the bench!
      This is the best equipped side we've had (to win things) for 30 years.  We're strong in all departments including mentally.

To cite any "failings" this season in the league is ludicrous.  I was only saying to my son a couple of weeks ago, we're due a terrible shock defeat as we haven't had one all season.  That very rarely happens to any team (including City this season).  The draws to Leicester and W Ham are closest you can get to bad results this season and losing narrowly to City at theirs is hardly a huge shock.

Too many people seem to have forgotten where were 2-3 years ago in terms of inconsistency and bad results.  If City edge us out, well done to them. 

This time though, we'll strengthen in the summer, from a position of strength.  Can't remember the last time we did that!  Maybe the season we signed Barnes, Beardsley & co??
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #513: May 01, 2019 12:40:14 pm
      This is the best equipped side we've had (to win things) for 30 years.  We're strong in all departments including mentally.

To cite any "failings" this season in the league is ludicrous.  I was only saying to my son a couple of weeks ago, we're due a terrible shock defeat as we haven't had one all season.  That very rarely happens to any team (including City this season).  The draws to Leicester and W Ham are closest you can get to bad results this season and losing narrowly to City at theirs is hardly a huge shock.

Too many people seem to have forgotten where were 2-3 years ago in terms of inconsistency and bad results.  If City edge us out, well done to them. 

This time though, we'll strengthen in the summer, from a position of strength.  Can't remember the last time we did that!  Maybe the season we signed Barnes, Beardsley & co??

We are a superb team but sometimes fine margins decide things and the loss to Citeh was the turning point. If we had won or drawn that match then I have little doubt that we would have already been crowned League champions, and to think that game could have been so different, especially if the ref had spotted Kompany's foul on Salah or if the clearance hadn't inexplicably missed the onrushing Salah by the same number of millimeters as it missed crossing the line.
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #514: May 06, 2019 08:49:05 pm
      Come on Bredan. Keep that clean sheet for another 45'
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 1112 
      Re: Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #515: May 06, 2019 08:51:26 pm
      It's the hope that kills you.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,289 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #516: May 06, 2019 08:52:44 pm
      The nerves are tingiling
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 1112 
      Reply #517: May 06, 2019 08:53:16 pm
      I was telling people if the foxes helped us out I would get a Vardy Jersey (assuming we win the title.)

Now I'm thinking, F**k the kit. I'll just get Brendan Rodgers face tattooed on to my chest.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #518: May 06, 2019 08:53:53 pm
      Half time Man City 0 Leiceter 0
      Common Leicester, City is playing a very very high line, give them the sucker punch with quick counter attacks. City have 2 players on yellow cards and their players are running at 200km/hr and will be tired in the 2nd half and will crumble. . They are there for the taking.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 392 
      Reply #519: May 06, 2019 08:59:00 pm
      Can’t watch anymore. My legs feel like jelly. Gonna go for a walk for an hour and switch my phone off.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,552 posts | 1546 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #520: May 06, 2019 09:01:03 pm
      45 minutes...
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,552 posts | 1546 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #521: May 06, 2019 09:01:54 pm
      2,700 seconds...
      Philc1207
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 197 posts | 21 
      Reply #522: May 06, 2019 09:03:11 pm
      I'm shaking like a five dollar watch, wasn't gunna watch it but hope never dies
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #523: May 06, 2019 09:05:47 pm
      Attack Kompany, he's on one yellow card and can flap under pressure.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #524: May 06, 2019 09:12:54 pm
      Damn leiceter players, giving away possession like a giving out free samples.
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,556 posts | 246 
      Reply #525: May 06, 2019 09:14:39 pm
      Attack Kompany, he's on one yellow card and can flap under pressure.

He gets away with murder so often
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #526: May 06, 2019 09:17:15 pm
      He gets away with murder so often

Yes, referee has been too soft on him. getting away murder after murder. Lets see whether the ref has the balls to give him a red card.
      Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #527: May 06, 2019 09:18:08 pm
      30'
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,837 posts | 477 
      Reply #528: May 06, 2019 09:20:51 pm
      Great shot there, But I thought he could’ve passed it to number 11 there, don’t know his name off hand

Quick Reply