Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Barcelona?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (2.1%)
      Joel Matip
      31 (32%)
      Andy Robertson
      39 (40.2%)
       Fabinho
      7 (7.2%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      1 (1%)
      Naby Keïta
      2 (2.1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      8 (8.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (4.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Voting closed: May 05, 2019 09:58:28 pm

Barcelona 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 40550 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Re: Barcelona 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #759: May 01, 2019 10:53:46 pm

Shouldn't be on the bench then. Are you telling me he was fit for 15 mins but not for 30 ?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #760: May 01, 2019 10:53:52 pm

I'm amazed this has had to be said so many time tonight.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6945 
      Reply #761: May 01, 2019 10:54:29 pm
      I wonder what the odds are of us doing the double? Might throw in £10-£20 if they are ridiculous like the Leicester 5000/1 odds in winning the league before :D

About 60/1.

7/2 for the title.  19/1 for the Champions League.
      Kopite78
      Reply #762: May 01, 2019 10:54:55 pm
      Shouldn't be on the bench then. Are you telling me he was fit for 15 mins but not for 30 ?

Jürgen will be working on advice from the medical staff

Moot point for me
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6945 
      Reply #763: May 01, 2019 10:55:22 pm

And nearly scored as well!
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #764: May 01, 2019 10:55:50 pm
      Well, i'm pissed off. Not about the performance but the result. We didn't deserve that, we bossed large portions of the game and had Barcelona resorting to their usual game killing childish stunts when we were controlling the pace. In my opinion Klopp picked the right tactical plan but the wrong personnel.

Wijnaldum was absolutely awful, gave the ball away many times and does not have the speed of thought to link with players of the level of Mane and Salah. I don't blame him for that, it's where he was asked to play.

Personally i would have started Henderson in that role, especially since he's been asking for a more advanced role. I would have gone with Keita, Fabinho and Wijnaldum in the middle.

It is an embarrassment that we only have Origi and Sturridge to call upon when our first choice front three players are injured or rested.

As i said, the performance tonight was excellent, we took the game to them and should have come away with at least 2 goals. Unfortunately it wasn't to be but this tie is far from over. We showed more than enough tonight that we can still win this tie.
      Harrisimo

• 8,284 posts | 1398 
      Reply #765: May 01, 2019 11:01:05 pm
      I recall a Euro game few years back and we were 3-0 down at half time...this time we have 90 minutes + to turn it round...can we do it again.

Score in the first 5 minutes..can we win 2-0 in the next 85 minutes. We have nothing to lose so we might as well give it a go.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #766: May 01, 2019 11:02:24 pm
      Pound them with pace and aggression in the return game and they will struggle. Not slow mo pace. In the return game, we need to score early and get the second before half time and they will panic. If we ever score a third, they will be deflated, no team has done that to them before. we will be the first. Before that, some intensive shotoing practice by the front 3.
      « Last Edit: May 01, 2019 11:12:37 pm by redkop63 »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6945 
      Reply #767: May 01, 2019 11:03:21 pm
      It is an embarrassment that we only have Origi and Sturridge to call upon when our first choice front three players are injured or rested.

Shaqiri and Oxlade-Chamberlain (when fully fit) would have been alternate options - at least to try and fill that particular position or offer something different.

In any case, the tactic or formation appeared to work well.  When Suarez thighed it on to the crossbar for their 2nd though it felt like a killer blow. 

I thought we played well.  They took their few chances, we didn't take our more chances.

Biggest concern right now is that the lads keep their heads up for Saturday night because I'm sure they're all pretty gutted right now.
      Philc1207
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 197 posts | 21 
      Reply #768: May 01, 2019 11:04:44 pm
      Well, i'm pissed off. Not about the performance but the result. We didn't deserve that, we bossed large portions of the game and had Barcelona resorting to their usual game killing childish stunts when we were controlling the pace. In my opinion Klopp picked the right tactical plan but the wrong personnel.

Wijnaldum was absolutely awful, gave the ball away many times and does not have the speed of thought to link with players of the level of Mane and Salah. I don't blame him for that, it's where he was asked to play.

Personally i would have started Henderson in that role, especially since he's been asking for a more advanced role. I would have gone with Keita, Fabinho and Wijnaldum in the middle.

As i said, the performance tonight was excellent, we took the game to them and should have come away with at least 2 goals. Unfortunately it wasn't to be but this tie is far from over. We showed more than enough tonight that we can still win this tie.
      agree 100 percent not over yet we have come back from 3 nil before #believe
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #769: May 01, 2019 11:04:45 pm
      Despite the shoreline, I honestly think we were the better team, and throughout the game I kept thinking we will destroy these at Anfield, just got to not get fought on the break

Agree to a point, but finishing is a very important part of the game and we didn't have any tonight. Klopp commented at some point before the match that he was confident we could create chances and if we could be clinical in front of goal... and that turned out to be the difference.

The road back begins with one goal, and we go from there. No way we can go into next week thinking we are already done. For those who do, when you sing the anthem, you are mouthing empty words. To quote Rocco in Godfather 2: "Difficult, not impossible."

One other thing: Mo Salah and Sadio Mane are crown jewels in this club's present and future. Of all the inane and treasonous comments I have read on here in the past couple of years (and we've seen a few), suggesting they should be jettisoned is the rock bottom. Unbelievable.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2019 11:09:17 pm by Robby The Z »
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #770: May 01, 2019 11:07:46 pm
      Mo and Mane can create openings themselves but I strongly believe we need a world class midfielder to provide them the openings, that's probably the next stage of team building by Klopp.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #771: May 01, 2019 11:10:43 pm
      Side track a bit, I was thinking what would happen to Barca when messi goes into retirement. Will we see a free fall like Juve?
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #772: May 01, 2019 11:12:18 pm
      For a start we should had a pen mane was fouled and had his shirt pulled. By way how many times did barca pull shirts and get away with it. Can you not book players at nou camp. And barca rolling round like messi and coutinho and all them including suarez in refs ear looking cards. How ironic. We need to become masters of the dark arts too. Hope messi and suarez and couts are booed constantly at anfield. An early goal you never no but can't see barca not scoring at least one mean we need 5.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      Reply #773: May 01, 2019 11:12:45 pm
      Shaqiri and Oxlade-Chamberlain (when fully fit) would have been alternate options - at least to try and fill that particular position or offer something different.

In any case, the tactic or formation appeared to work well.  When Suarez thighed it on to the crossbar for their 2nd though it felt like a killer blow. 

I thought we played well.  They took their few chances, we didn't take our more chances.

Biggest concern right now is that the lads keep their heads up for Saturday night because I'm sure they're all pretty gutted right now.

I don't know what the deal is with Shaq, think he's pissed Klopp off or something. If fully fit then Ox would have been the ideal switch. I agree that we played well and that Klopp got the tactics spot on, i just think the selection of Wijnaldum was the only mistake he made.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #774: May 01, 2019 11:13:33 pm
      Could have easily been 2-1 to us.

Lucky 2nd goal
      Messi Magic
      Mane missed chance
      Salah sitter

We can beat this lot 3-0 at Anfield, never thought I'd say that after losing 3-0 but here we are.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #775: May 01, 2019 11:15:52 pm
      Did roma not come back from 3-0 against barca and beat them not so long ago. Trouble is if we push forward they counter and even there fkn keeper is bloody good. Milner twice mane salah and henderson all could scored tonight. When does a team at camp nou have more shots and procession than barca and denied pen.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      Reply #776: May 01, 2019 11:17:35 pm
      For a start we should had a pen mane was fouled and had his shirt pulled. By way how many times did barca pull shirts and get away with it. Can you not book players at nou camp. And barca rolling round like messi and coutinho and all them including suarez in refs ear looking cards. How ironic. We need to become masters of the dark arts too. Hope messi and suarez and couts are booed constantly at anfield. An early goal you never no but can't see barca not scoring at least one mean we need 5.

Barcelona are scum. They cheat all the time. When we started battering them in the first period of the second half they resorted to their usual skanky childish stunts. We absolutely blitzed them during that period, they couldn't keep the ball. That free kick award for the third goal wasn't a free kick either. Messi jumped on Fab's back and fell to the floor like a F***ing pansy cunting dwarf. 
      Philc1207
      • Forum Patrik Berger

• 197 posts | 21 
      Re: 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #777: May 01, 2019 11:19:51 pm
      I just think for once Klopp got it wrong with his selection, we go again, and Anfield will be rocking! The spirit of Istanbul should be our mantra for the second leg, we need our 12th man more than ever. I refuse to believe it’s over until it is!
      FFS at last someone who thinks it's not over. We are LIVERPOOL and we don't give up roll on Tuesday YNWA
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #778: May 01, 2019 11:21:16 pm
      Did roma not come back from 3-0 against barca and beat them not so long ago. Trouble is if we push forward they counter and even there fkn keeper is bloody good. Milner twice mane salah and henderson all could scored tonight. When does a team at camp nou have more shots and procession than barca and denied pen.

As for the pen looks like Mané was marginally offside
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #779: May 01, 2019 11:21:37 pm
      3 nil at half time. Remember Istanbul. COYR
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #780: May 01, 2019 11:26:46 pm
      For me (and for many i'm sure) tonight's result has twisted the knife in the likliehood that we miss out on the title, the Champions League represents a chance at salvaging some silverware and a cushion to the blow of somehow not winning the title despite an incredible points tally. There's always a slim chance but 3-0 was a heart-breaking result and not what we deserved.   
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #781: May 01, 2019 11:32:03 pm
      FFS at last someone who thinks it's not over. We are LIVERPOOL and we don't give up roll on Tuesday YNWA

I don’t think anyone has given up, but the prospect of turning over one of the best teams in the world (even at home) to outscore them by at least 3 is a bit deflating don’t you think?

Quick Reply