Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W10 D5 L6

Managerial Shortlist

Read 57964 times
      bmck, verde-rubro and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,365 posts | 782 
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #1656: Yesterday at 12:37:48 pm
      All recruitment is a gamble with no guarantees of anything....It's totally understandable that supporters are a bit jittery as the guy is effectively unknown. He has to be his own man and not try to mimic Klopp's manner....Jürgen is a one off, and it would be folly to try and manufacture a pretend identity.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,582 posts | 1095 
      Reply #1657: Yesterday at 12:59:26 pm
      All recruitment is a gamble with no guarantees of anything....It's totally understandable that supporters are a bit jittery as the guy is effectively unknown. He has to be his own man and not try to mimic Klopp's manner....Jürgen is a one off, and it would be folly to try and manufacture a pretend identity.

As sad as I am to lose Jürgen ... im trying to be excited for the new era ... and whats ahead. The last 9 years have been amazing. So while abit worried, its exciting too.

One of Jurgens biggest plusses was to make Anfield a fortress again. He got the crowd and team back as one ... it was an issue. Hopefully the new gaffer can harness that again because it was a huge part of being successful the last 9 years.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,561 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1658: Today at 08:04:43 pm
      I’m not saying it’s an ok way of thinking but when you see another manager from the Netherlands with a big reputation come and flop at one of the two biggest clubs in the country it might be understandable that people aren’t exactly excited by our new manager.

I was a huge fan of getting Edwards back at the club so il back his manager choice but I can see why some might not be too enthused by our choice of manager.

Edwards has done very well for us before, so hopefully he can do similar again.

But something that's also been talked about in the FSG thread, when looking at how well we have done in recent years, is how much of the success we have had is down to Jürgen, compared to other factors, the signing of certain players, the structures, the backing and funding that has been put in etc.

For me though, the vast majority of credit goes to Jürgen.

There are comparisons with Slot and Ten Hag, and why wouldn't there be, both have had success in the Dutch league, both then moving to the PL.  You could argue if comparing the two, Ten Hag had more experience coming in than Slot has now.

Obviously every Liverpool fan wants him to come in an be a success. But it's only natural to look at his experience and wonder how he will cope.  There likely would have been other managers with more experience available, but the owners/committee etc have gone for Slot.

The change is structure at the club is also going to be a big change, with Slot being more of a head coach, with less say in transfers and maybe other areas of the club too. And they then needed someone who was willing to work in that type of arrangement.

Maybe that's also a good thing from Slot's point of view, he can really focus on the coaching and getting the players ready for matchdays. And maybe replacing Jürgen with just one person was always going to be too big a task, and it's good that his role is being distributed out a little to those taking over.

Will see I guess.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,288 posts | 4938 
      Reply #1659: Today at 08:08:57 pm
      Edwards has done very well for us before, so hopefully he can do similar again.

Edwards isn't back in the same role though mate.

He may well be covering that role in the background for now but his remit is far bigger and Hughes is the guy we need to hope is Edwards V2.

Quick Reply