Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Villa?

Alisson Becker
      (10.9%)
      Cody Gakpo
      (17.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      (8.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      (15.2%)
      Luis Diaz
      (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      (2.2%)
      Mohamed Salah
      (4.3%)
      Wataru Endo
      (30.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      (0%)
      Jarell Quansah
      (8.7%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      (0%)
      Darwin Núñez
      (2.2%)
      Curtis Jones
      (0%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      (0%)

Voting closes: May 17, 2024 10:02:32 pm

Aston Villa 3-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 2359 times
      AussieRed and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,614 posts | 752 
      Re: Aston Villa 3-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Yesterday at 01:32:29 am
      DM & RB as you say

Plus a CB seeing as Matip is going, Ibou can’t be trusted to play.
      Plus a LB. Tsimiks isn’t good enough and Robbo (albeit finding some of his old self) isn’t getting any younger.

Sounds like a rebuilding job to me.

Ibou is fine, Sepp Van Den berg, is coming back from loan, Jarrell is gonna improve.
      Gomez can play LB. Tsimikas is fine. Robbo is one of the top left backs in the world.

So yea i did say a DM and a RB (cover or 1ST choice with Bradley)
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,495 posts | 232 
      Reply #438: Yesterday at 06:59:21 am
      Can’t control a game shocking

For comparison there was a stat before the game that Man City conceded just 3 goal attempts in their last two games, including an away match.

For similar possession to us, how do they get their team so damn watertight? Playing 4 centre backs helps a bit, but they probably win the ball back so quickly and don’t always try and rush and play at 100 miles per hour.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #439: Yesterday at 07:08:09 am
      For comparison there was a stat before the game that Man City conceded just 3 goal attempts in their last two games, including an away match.

For similar possession to us, how do they get their team so damn watertight? Playing 4 centre backs helps a bit, but they probably win the ball back so quickly and don’t always try and rush and play at 100 miles per hour.

They are so much better at winning the ball back than we are. And when they lose it the oppo are usually so deep and in poor shape it’s a challenge for them to get out of the press. We used to do that too but our press has not been nearly as effective the past two years. We play the high line but without enough pressure on the ball which is a recipe for disaster.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,577 posts | 1805 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #440: Yesterday at 07:12:28 am
      Missed Robbo last night, we always miss Robbo when he is out. :(

No matter.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,450 posts | 2844 
      Reply #441: Yesterday at 07:34:55 am

I do think it’s interesting how the best two teams in the league have moved away from attacking minded full backs and gone with defensive minded ones or even centre backs. The likes of Cancelo and Zinchenko have been set aside for Gvardiol, Tomiyasu etc

Feels like both City and Arsenal are more solid as a result but neither have lost their attacking threat.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,191 posts | 165 
      Reply #442: Yesterday at 07:43:40 am
      Can’t control a game shocking

I did not watch the game, but I've always said it's Klopp weakness. No plan B, either it's counterpressing & counterattacking football, or poor defending & average use of the ball when in possession. We never knew how to keep the ball and create out of nothing, but we had some kind of success with Klopp's style, so it's a gamble that pays.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,628 posts | 3859 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #443: Yesterday at 09:02:07 am
      We havent had a clean sheet for damn near half a season bruv.

Not keeping younger lads in the team/squad that had earned their place on their performance has ultimately led to the season fizzling out.

Either give them more time or ship out some of the older players that haven’t performed
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,613 posts | 7142 
      Reply #444: Yesterday at 09:32:36 am
      If it ain't broken don't try to fix it.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,178 posts | 527 
      Reply #445: Yesterday at 09:45:26 am
      If it ain't broken don't try to fix it.

I agree, we haven't become a bad team overnight. Also it must be hard to raise your game when there is not much to play for.
      Cue the barrage of what about pride brigade,.
      Just my take on it, we need a few tweaks and probably 2/3 signings and we are good to go again.
      Onwards and upwards. Hope Anfield gives Jürgen a fantastic send off on Sunday.
      Thanks Jürgen for everything.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,596 posts | 1680 
      • YNWA
      Reply #446: Yesterday at 10:02:35 am

P.S I hope Slot never plays Trent at Right back ever again. Lazy f**ker. Was jogging around most of the game, not even sprinting back.

What a talent. But this whole walking around wrecks my head too. Get the ball, stand still, short return pass, still don't move, get it back, still standing still, short pass, maybe turn.  Just no real urgency.  Then there's the whole inverted FB role, and actually getting stuck in defending.   

Would be very surprised to see TAA in an inverted FB role next season, and think for us, the way we have been defending, would be a good thing.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,853 posts | 69 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #447: Yesterday at 10:18:09 am
      A lot of our players need a good holiday and a wake up call. Looking at last night's game Mo looks a shadow of his best , missing chances , and looking quite lonely on the right ,Trent needs to work for a place ( if he wants it ) no defending from him ,slowing down the play and bone idle ! Curtis just isn't good enough or consistent ,Endo got my MOTM because of his work rate and drive , Slot has a job to do soon and not be afraid to wield the axe ,Jarrel was immense and deserved a goal ,Allison showing why is still world number 1 for me ,some great saves !
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,277 posts | 930 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #448: Yesterday at 04:06:30 pm

We can’t control a game, we aren’t finishing like we did, but we are defending terribly, mostly because on the right hand side Trent is caught out up field or just caught out and either Quansa or VVD have to move over and that leaves us bare in the middle. It needs sorting next season as a priority
      Harrisimo

• 8,361 posts | 1414 
      Reply #449: Yesterday at 04:25:20 pm
      Slot will have several decisions to make. Trent being one of them. Sometimes think Trent believes all the hype surrounding his ball striking, hollywood pass etc. as if defending is beneath him. I mean BS I know but just the odd time, frustrating player at times. Doesn't want to catch Dele Alli syndrome

In fact several have tested the patience of late. Yes it was a free hit for us in a sense last night but FFS....wanted to see Hanks with a cob on him..

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:59:30 pm by Harrisimo »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4412 
      Reply #450: Yesterday at 04:32:52 pm
      We can’t control a game, we aren’t finishing like we did, but we are defending terribly, mostly because on the right hand side Trent is caught out up field or just caught out and either Quansa or VVD have to move over and that leaves us bare in the middle. It needs sorting next season as a priority

No doubt Trent’s attitude can be questioned at times when the going gets tough but the whole defensive issues don’t solely rest on his shoulders. We are way to open through the middle of the pitch and it’s evident how a couple of passes and the opposition are onto our defenders.

When we were at our best the forward's pressed like demons and Salah even though he never was a pressing machine at least cut out the passing lines. The midfield with Henderson, Gini and Fab would dominate the opposition midfield which allowed Trent the luxury of spending more time forward.

Those halcyon days are now over with the front 3 barely ever pressing and the likes of Endo, Mac and Elliot not physical enough to protect the back 4, Szobo just looks like a forward dropped into midfield for his legs and Curtis hates tackling.

We obviously have a good squad just by the fact we are third but the issues we have are a system issue rather than individual players, sone of whom can no doubt be improved on like a more physical and quicker DM than Endo.

Will be interesting to see what the new manager does next season because I doubt he will have the double pivot of Endo and Mac and then Trent inverting leaving acres of space for Quansah to cover.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,277 posts | 930 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #451: Yesterday at 04:38:58 pm
      What I don’t get is Endo was having a good game he gets hooked and the man who is having a nightmare stays on and moved back to a position that he struggles to play,game goes to cock then
      Harrisimo

• 8,361 posts | 1414 
      Reply #452: Yesterday at 04:47:11 pm
      Was may be..I dunno...bout half way through the season when we started this Trent inverted gig. Was it a mistake. We generally get high and leave space in behind. Trent drifting inside made it more obvious. Conceded 41 this season, 47 last season finished 5th.

Was it too much to expect Quansah, Joe or Matip to constantly cover for Trent, leaving a gap to VVD. Was it any better with Bradley at RB ?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2856 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #453: Yesterday at 05:17:10 pm
      Was may be..I dunno...bout half way through the season when we started this Trent inverted gig. Was it a mistake. We generally get high and leave space in behind. Trent drifting inside made it more obvious. Conceded 41 this season, 47 last season finished 5th.

Was it too much to expect Quansah, Joe or Matip to constantly cover for Trent, leaving a gap to VVD. Was it any better with Bradley at RB ?

My view on it is its a coach trying to be too smart. Trent was a sh*te defender as it was without being told pop into midfield and be a creative force and Joe Ibou etc will cover you

Just play him out and out mid and play a solid back 4

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,217 posts | 4412 
      Reply #454: Yesterday at 05:56:47 pm
      What I don’t get is Endo was having a good game he gets hooked and the man who is having a nightmare stays on and moved back to a position that he struggles to play,game goes to cock then

Was he?

We were just as open with him on the pitch and the fact that they missed chances while he was on vs they took their equally easy chances when he went off does not mean he had a good game - there was a reason Klopp hooked him.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,191 posts | 3476 
      Reply #455: Yesterday at 06:15:44 pm

Trent was playing inverted full back at the start of the season as well

None of the goals yesterday were down to him
      Harrisimo

• 8,361 posts | 1414 
      Reply #456: Yesterday at 06:54:55 pm
      Could be claimed that we sort of stumbled on Endo as a holding player. He wasn't in from the start of the season. It was a reshaped mid with Dom,Grav,Mac and Endo coming in so it was a challenge getting the balance right in such a tough environment.

Getting the front 3 right was also an issue. So staying in contention for so long was a credit. And trying cope with the injuries didn't help. So many facets to consider. But we're not as bad as some suggest.
      Harrisimo

• 8,361 posts | 1414 
      Reply #457: Yesterday at 08:19:14 pm
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6m8K0kO5w8&ab_channel=SkySportsPremierLeague

Stop it at 2.46....looks like hand ball but from what I could see it was hardly looked at by VAR. Was a very tight onside as well but again didn't appear to look closely at it.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,130 posts | 127 
      Reply #458: Yesterday at 09:57:11 pm
      I did not watch the game, but I've always said it's Klopp weakness. No plan B, either it's counterpressing & counterattacking football, or poor defending & average use of the ball when in possession. We never knew how to keep the ball and create out of nothing, but we had some kind of success with Klopp's style, so it's a gamble that pays.

I think it is we get the ball standing still,when you are trained to run onto a ball, it puts them on a backfoot Klopp these days has made us predictable, loved his Genga days tho', no one could match us

Quick Reply