Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Have we closed the gap on Man City this summer?

Read 69772 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Re: Have we closed the gap on Man City this summer?
      Reply #69: Jul 28, 2019 12:00:53 am
      Gut feeling that I don't think we have closed the gap, but I'm not convinced it has got any bigger either.

I still think we are the two best sides in the country by a distance and will be fighting it out for the title again.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #70: Jul 28, 2019 03:12:59 am
      Klopp's recent remarks on Origi touch on this discussion re squad strength this year compared to last : https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-divock-origi-liverpool-news-16656454

ā€œSince he got that injury (against Everton in April 2016), it was just glimpses here and there. But then we were training and you saw it ā€“ Divock's back. It is the Divock Origi the whole world wanted.ā€ j- Klopp
      Ireland333
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts | 13 
      Reply #71: Jul 28, 2019 03:26:11 am
       we can but we forget about league cup and fa cup squad not big enough play in four competitions play full team in league and u23 for fa cup and league cup
      Essex Mingle
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      • YNWA
      Reply #72: Jul 28, 2019 09:19:04 am
      I don't know, I try not to predict. I Just go the game, get behind the lads and hopefully see them make that extra step to go on and become champions.

But I don't give up before the season has even kicked off!!

I'm not giving up either.... I just call as I see it!

I just believe our league season and if we get success, will be determined on City dropping their level rather than Liverpool's ability
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #73: Jul 28, 2019 09:22:36 am
      Yes but citeh can replace top quality players with other top quality players based on loss of form or fatigue, we can't.

What is top quality? Definite top quality. Divock is top quality. He almost singlehandedly won us the Champions League.

Robertson wasn't world class and came in for only Ā£8m as far as I can remember... I haven't even heard of Andy Robertson.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,202 posts | 914 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #74: Jul 28, 2019 09:37:20 am
      Depends on the first squad staying fit. If they do then it will be close. Any injuries and thats a different matter
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #75: Jul 28, 2019 09:43:12 am
      Klopp's recent remarks on Origi touch on this discussion re squad strength this year compared to last : https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-divock-origi-liverpool-news-16656454

ā€œSince he got that injury (against Everton in April 2016), it was just glimpses here and there. But then we were training and you saw it ā€“ Divock's back. It is the Divock Origi the whole world wanted.ā€ j- Klopp
      WTF does JĆ¼rgen know he only sees him every day and he doesn't have a record of seeing vast improvements in his players does he.
       :f_tongueincheek:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,310 posts | 1521 
      Reply #76: Jul 28, 2019 11:50:06 am
      Be fair, there wasnā€™t really a gap as such. Just a couple of games where we didnā€™t go full throttle when we most needed it.
      That 1 point could have gone either way, and some.
      If city is the only side weā€™re concerned about, weā€™ re in deep trouble !
      Scottbot

• 9,598 posts | 2156 
      Reply #77: Jul 28, 2019 11:53:57 am
      I think itā€™s also about the other top sides closing the gap. We could really use them taking a few points off City this season and perhaps then a points in the low 90ā€™s might be sufficient to win the league
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,202 posts | 914 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #78: Jul 28, 2019 12:05:20 pm
      The united away game was the one we should have won we seemed very nervous they were vunerable
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #79: Jul 28, 2019 12:24:51 pm
      Be fair, there wasnā€™t really a gap as such. Just a couple of games where we didnā€™t go full throttle when we most needed it.
      That 1 point could have gone either way, and some.
      If city is the only side weā€™re concerned about, weā€™ re in deep trouble !

Don't get what you're trying to say mate, Citeh were the outstanding side last season and even with LFC losing only one game in the campaign they still won the league with an amazing goal average and points tally.
      If we could match that feat it would be in itself an achievement that no other club beside LFC could get near over the full season.

Kompany and one or two others are going next season which might impact and allow their rivals to press on a wee bit but as stated previously they do have quality in excess to compensate.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #80: Jul 28, 2019 12:28:19 pm
      What is top quality? Definite top quality. Divock is top quality. He almost singlehandedly won us the Champions League.

Robertson wasn't world class and came in for only Ā£8m as far as I can remember... I haven't even heard of Andy Robertson.

Oh come on now, we are all hugely thankful for the vital goals Origi scored for us last season, he is actually a pretty good goal poacher, but to suggest he is anywhere near the quality of Mahrez, Sane and Jesus at Citeh in terms of overall ability is absurd. If you think he is then you must be a bit annoyed why Kopp preferred to play Sadio, Mo and Bobby even when they were out of form last season. You see the reason he didn't is because even an out of form Sadio, Mo or Bobby is better than an in-form Origi, hence why we need an upgrade.

I have no idea why you are referencing Robertson, I've been one of his biggest fans since I first saw him pull on the shirt, he was an absolute bargain and is a fantastic LB.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #81: Jul 28, 2019 12:32:36 pm
      WTF does JĆ¼rgen know he only sees him every day and he doesn't have a record of seeing vast improvements in his players does he.
       :f_tongueincheek:

Can you please stop elevating Klopp into some kind of omniscient being who never makes a mistake, he makes plenty just like all managers and people do. Klopp is fantastic at coming up with a good strategy pre-game and motivating the players etc but very average in his ability to change tactics intra game, he is also unbelievably stubborn and inflexible, he can't really help that as its a very common German trait, sorry but it just is.
      Having said all this I think Klopp is amazing and I'm so glad he is our manager, but please please JĆ¼rgen go out and buy a top notch forward otherwise we will regret it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #82: Jul 28, 2019 12:35:25 pm
      The united away game was the one we should have won we seemed very nervous they were vunerable

That game was the perfect example of a game where we needed one more top attacker to come one to tilt the game in our favour either a forward or AM, but at the time we had no one, as I recall Origi came on for Bobby and had one of his invisible games, plus Mo had a shocking game and Sadio just couldn't do much on his own.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #83: Jul 28, 2019 02:01:19 pm
      Oh come on now, we are all hugely thankful for the vital goals Origi scored for us last season, he is actually a pretty good goal poacher, but to suggest he is anywhere near the quality of Mahrez, Sane and Jesus at Citeh in terms of overall ability is absurd. If you think he is then you must be a bit annoyed why Kopp preferred to play Sadio, Mo and Bobby even when they were out of form last season. You see the reason he didn't is because even an out of form Sadio, Mo or Bobby is better than an in-form Origi, hence why we need an upgrade.

I have no idea why you are referencing Robertson, I've been one of his biggest fans since I first saw him pull on the shirt, he was an absolute bargain and is a fantastic LB.

Stop making people out to be what you want them to be. Now back to the topic. Is quality that important? Why doesnā€™t Divock have quality? Why canā€™t Divock be like Robbo who came in as an unknown and is now world class? Why? Didnā€™t Divock get the job done? Why do we need Mbappe and Son? Or it is you who want them?

Like it or not, Mbappe and Son are not coming. Klopp will be going with what he has. Iā€™ll see how long you can go on with your ā€œ4 world class players on the bench and rotation dreamā€. The window will close soon. I hope youā€™ll go on whining for the next two seasons.  :f_tongueincheek:

If Divock is not good enough for you but good enough for Klopp, donā€™t watch when he plays. Donā€™t celebrate when he scores. Leave the match.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #84: Jul 28, 2019 02:05:26 pm
      Can you please stop elevating Klopp into some kind of omniscient being who never makes a mistake, he makes plenty just like all managers and people do. Klopp is fantastic at coming up with a good strategy pre-game and motivating the players etc but very average in his ability to change tactics intra game, he is also unbelievably stubborn and inflexible, he can't really help that as its a very common German trait, sorry but it just is.
      Having said all this I think Klopp is amazing and I'm so glad he is our manager, but please please JĆ¼rgen go out and buy a top notch forward otherwise we will regret it.

you need to give your head a wobble your either being a massive WUM or you seriously need to reflect on just how good this squad is combined with the best manger in the world. You don't rate the squad or the manager some fan you are. Before we have even kicked a ball in anger you are there poised waiting to tell everyone you were right the first time we don't win a game 6-0. its F***ing tiresome and as I have said before some of us are still enjoying the 1st of June and your like a dark cloud on a summers day.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #85: Jul 28, 2019 03:17:49 pm

F**k off you silly tw*t.

Just go already your trying to take the mantle of being the forums indifferent provocateur poster and your doing a sh*t job.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #86: Jul 28, 2019 04:27:38 pm
      We have a front three that would cost us now between Ā£300mil and Ā£350mil and they are so far ahead of City in every way so how have City closed our GAP
      Ireland333
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts | 13 
      Reply #87: Jul 28, 2019 07:37:19 pm
      Sadly don't think any top teams in league will get close city they near two teams pick and rest players still win easy, we lack squad win league l feel couple top players short winning league
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #88: Jul 28, 2019 07:45:11 pm
      Take it or leave it but, for me, the front three need better back up. Said it all last season, too. If one or two of those three get injured for a decent amount of time I think it'll really hurt us.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,151 posts | 8540 
      Reply #89: Jul 28, 2019 07:48:49 pm
      Take it or leave it but, for me, the front three need better back up. Said it all last season, too. If one or two of those three get injured for a decent amount of time I think it'll really hurt us.

It's finding those back up players that are happy to be back up players or sit on the bench.

The only way we're getting same level type player as the front three, was if one of them were going to leave imo.

Could do with Shaq & Keita back, that would change the look of the team as well.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #90: Jul 28, 2019 07:53:18 pm
      It's finding those back up players that are happy to be back up players or sit on the bench.

The only way we're getting same level type player as the front three, was if one of them were going to leave imo.

Could do with Shaq & Keita back, that would change the look of the team as well.

I know, and I'm not getting into the whole FSG are this or that arguments anymore but i'm literally looking at that front three's back up and the drop does worry me a bit. But ay, I'm no footy manager.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,151 posts | 8540 
      Reply #91: Jul 28, 2019 07:55:39 pm
      I know, and I'm not getting into the whole FSG are this or that arguments anymore but i'm literally looking at that front three's back up and the drop does worry me a bit. But ay, I'm no footy manager.

I know mate, got the feeling this pre-season has been about seeing where the back up (Wilson, Kent, Brewster) is at.

Quick Reply