Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Atletico?

Alisson
      4 (5.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      18 (25%)
      Andy Robertson
      21 (29.2%)
       Fabinho
      13 (18.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (6.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (2.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (5.6%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.4%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: Feb 22, 2020 09:52:48 pm

Atletico Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26769 times
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Re: Atletico Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Feb 18, 2020 10:45:08 pm
      If you're seriously saying that the ref had no impact on the game, then I seriously doubt you watched it.

Nothing much to moan about,might of missed a free kick or two but hey.We got caught early and they defended,It's how they operate.We didn't really create to many good chances,it was scrappy and a bit shitty all round.Lesson learned we batter the boring defensive bastids in the second leg.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #369: Feb 18, 2020 11:01:42 pm
      Past performance is not indicative of future performance.

No ones saying it is.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #370: Feb 18, 2020 11:01:45 pm
      Why are you always such moaners, the ref had no impact on the game whatsoever. Score one and defend the rest of the game, oh my god such a terrible thing to do, except we've done that and I found it boss when it got us through against better opposition.

That this is being employed against us goes on to show the level we are right now, and we need to be prepared for that. And I think at Anfield we will

Ref was sh*t no harm in pointing that out, and no harm in Klopp doing the same as he has been doing. His interpretation  of the advantage rule on that hand ball was literally laughable. That's when I lost it, and that's when Jürgen got his yellow.

Atletico play the way they do and we will have to suck it up, but the referee while having no significant decision go against us, was taken advantage of by the environment tonight. Let's hope we get a homer in the return.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #371: Feb 18, 2020 11:10:20 pm
      Why are you always such moaners, the ref had no impact on the game whatsoever. Score one and defend the rest of the game, oh my god such a terrible thing to do, except we've done that and I found it boss when it got us through against better opposition.

That this is being employed against us goes on to show the level we are right now, and we need to be prepared for that. And I think at Anfield we will

Klopp must be the biggest moaner of all then, I don’t think anyone on the forum got a yellow for complaining about the officiating.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #372: Feb 18, 2020 11:16:14 pm
      I haven't said the ref had a particularly great game, but he has had no impact on the result whatever. Klopp himself said there's nobody to blame. But when it's the ref first and last that people talk about, they're just being bad losers. He was not the reason we had over 70% possession and Oblak didn't have to make a single save all game.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,797 posts | 892 
      Reply #373: Feb 18, 2020 11:22:16 pm
      I haven't said the ref had a particularly great game, but he has had no impact on the result whatever. Klopp himself said there's nobody to blame. But when it's the ref first and last that people talk about, they're just being bad losers. He was not the reason we had over 70% possession and Oblak didn't have to make a single save all game.

Haven't noticed anyone here suggesting otherwise. I think the general consensus has been that we were a shambles.

But there were other factors that were in play here, and one big issue was the poor performance from the officials.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #374: Feb 18, 2020 11:29:35 pm

Doesnt help though when your a pressing team and when you legitimately win the ball are penalised because it means we had little to counter off. Doesnt help on the other hand when Ox gets tripped on the edge of the D and no free kick is awarded, or when their player handles it deliberately and the ref acknowledges it but plays an advantage when the ball then rolls to them, then calls advantage over.

We fell into the trap good and proper and for that we are to blame, but UEFA cant serve him up again in what is Europe's premier competition, surely?

Not even mentioned the one where Salah took the ball off their full back who went down like he had a broken leg as we were set to get into their box.

Just horrible.
      rossyred

• 9,313 posts | 1671 
      Reply #375: Feb 18, 2020 11:40:01 pm
      Just caught up on the game classic AM early goal and then sit on it . TAA awful delivery , Midfield especially Gini lacked any creative ideas. Got to look at Keita for home leg and improve the final ball which was sadly lacking
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,604 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #376: Feb 18, 2020 11:49:39 pm
      Shithouse side of diving bus parkers, got a jammy goal and shut up shop, at home.
      We dominated possession and were easily the better side, but the better side doesn't always win.
      Wouldn't like to see Simeone on speed, the little headcase was his own sideshow on the touchline all night - annoying mgr, annoying side, get under your skin and make it a miserable eyesore of a game, not pretty, but can work.
      Special mention for Morata, one useless diving F***ing carthorse.
      We need to lift the roof at Anfield and make it just as uncomfortable for them, and am sure we will.
      TAA had an off night with his delivery, Fab maybe too lacking a bit of sharpness, thought maybe Keita might have come on, someone to drive direct from the middle.
      Hope Hendo is OK, wouldn't like to loose him for the return.
      Forgettable enough nite, but nobody said it'd be easy - another big night coming in the return...
      Harrisimo

• 8,394 posts | 1423 
      Reply #377: Feb 18, 2020 11:57:05 pm
      Haven't noticed anyone here suggesting otherwise. I think the general consensus has been that we were a shambles.

But there were other factors that were in play here, and one big issue was the poor performance from the officials.

Wouldn't go that far Dan. Not at our best obviously.Midfield was a little unimaginative and Mo kept drifting inside,but I was surprised the Boss took him off. They defended their lucky lead quite well and it won't be easy to break them down and keep them from getting a goal. we had the desire and intensity, yes it's a tricky tie but we know how to finish the job
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #378: Feb 19, 2020 12:01:57 am
      Wouldn't go that far Dan. Not at our best obviously.Midfield was a little unimaginative and Mo kept drifting inside,but I was surprised the Boss took him off. They defended their lucky lead quite well and it won't be easy to break them down and keep them from getting a goal. we had the desire and intensity, yes it's a tricky tie but we know how to finish the job

Yes subbing Mo for Ox was quite bizare, especially when Gini was having a fairly terrible game but oh my God how sh*t was Origi tonight, that was him back to his very worst.
      In summary no way we play that badly at Anfield so I think we'll win the tie.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #379: Feb 19, 2020 12:03:11 am
      We have focussed on the league this year and that takes it out of you. You always need a bit of luck in the CL and I for one am a fan of what Simeone has brought to Atletico. I knew even in a transition year they were going to be tough for us. They are the worst team for us to play against. However, we are still 50-50 going into the next leg. It must be hell playing at the Calderon and I'm sure well make it tough for them at Anfield.
      Harrisimo

• 8,394 posts | 1423 
      Reply #380: Feb 19, 2020 12:03:40 am
      Shithouse side of diving bus parkers, got a jammy goal and shut up shop, at home.
      We dominated possession and were easily the better side, but the better side doesn't always win.
      Wouldn't like to see Simeone on speed, the little headcase was his own sideshow on the touchline all night - annoying mgr, annoying side, get under your skin and make it a miserable eyesore of a game, not pretty, but can work.
      Special mention for Morata, one useless diving f**king carthorse.
      We need to lift the roof at Anfield and make it just as uncomfortable for them, and am sure we will.
      TAA had an off night with his delivery, Fab maybe too lacking a bit of sharpness, thought maybe Keita might have come on, someone to drive direct from the middle.
      Hope Hendo is OK, wouldn't like to loose him for the return.
      Forgettable enough nite, but nobody said it'd be easy - another big night coming in the return...

I hope Hendo is fit, because I'd like to see the Hendo/Fabio combo a bit more because I'm not sure it's the best mix. Both are basically holding players. Does Hendo have enough creative ability to take on the attacking midfield role. Will the boss have to decide to play both or pick one.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,008 posts | 225 
      Reply #381: Feb 19, 2020 12:06:14 am
      sh*t goal to concede
      0 shots on target from us
      Ball boys disappeared after they go 1 up 
      bring on Anfield and hammer those Bell Ends
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #382: Feb 19, 2020 12:17:59 am
      Going to have to win by 2 goals to go through. It won’t be easy because you can guarentee their antics of time wasting, parking the bus and faking injuries tonight will be nothing compared to what they will be like knowing they are 90mins away from the next round.

Hopefully we can do to them what we done to Barca.
      Harrisimo

• 8,394 posts | 1423 
      Reply #383: Feb 19, 2020 12:27:10 am
      We have focussed on the league this year and that takes it out of you. You always need a bit of luck in the CL and I for one am a fan of what Simeone has brought to Atletico. I knew even in a transition year they were going to be tough for us. They are the worst team for us to play against. However, we are still 50-50 going into the next leg. It must be hell playing at the Calderon and I'm sure well make it tough for them at Anfield.

Well we know they don't have the squad to play expansive football, so they play the snarl up frustrate game. Con the ref, feign injury and ride their luck. Snatch a chance if they can make one. They will be even worse at Anfield, they almost give football a bad name. I make us slight favourites for the home game but we will need patience and perseverance by the shed load.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #384: Feb 19, 2020 12:33:40 am

The ref called a lopsided game and allowed them to disrupt the flow (even more than their defensive prowess allows). Was the ref the reason we lost? No he wasn’t. Would it be nice in the biggest competition in the world to be able to expect a reasonable level of officiating? Yes. And that’s what causes some of us to bemoan the officiating.

To give Klopp a yellow for rightfully complaining was just further fuel to the fire that this ref was in over his head.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #385: Feb 19, 2020 01:10:50 am
      Ref was sh*te & his ineptitude was on display & played a part in the game... yellow to Mane, no handball & Klopp’s yellow..

Hope this c**t is binned off.,

One of the joke decisions.,

https://twitter.com/bubbixs/status/1229873148805500928?s=21
      « Last Edit: Feb 19, 2020 01:16:27 am by Shabs »
      LFC007
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts | 17 
      Reply #386: Feb 19, 2020 06:12:28 am
      This loss is not a bad thing. It's good to get back to earth and feel some pain. Also I feel 1-0 is better than 1-1 because it forces us to play serious football at Anfield while with a draw you tend to try to just hold the score and often enough it backfires.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #387: Feb 19, 2020 06:44:34 am
      Well,well,well I made the Ref M.O.M ,I thought he had a brilliant match===================== for Athletico Madrid the b***ard. Athletico will not know what hits them at Anfield
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #388: Feb 19, 2020 07:39:23 am
      Had to listen to this one as I’m abroad with a short WiFi connection. Atletico were the team I least wanted to play and it sounded like a classic performance from them. The early was the worst possible thing to happen against a team so defensively organised. It’s a dangerous score line because an away goal for them probably kills it for us at Anfield. Hopefully Mane and Fabinho are fully back up to speed for the next one. It sounds like they had a good plan in place for dealing with Trent and robbo so Keita it Ox in midfield would make sense in the return leg.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #389: Feb 19, 2020 07:56:55 am
      Well to be fair, the game didn’t offer up any opportunities for him to directly impact the result, i.e. a penalty decision, but I don’t think that means he can be excused. I’m not one for blaming referees usually because I know what it looks like but last night was very poor from the officials. Lost count of the amount of soft fouls he gave them in their half, completely disrupting our momentum. At one stage as well the official was about to point his flag for a Liverpool throw in then inexplicably changed midway through his movement to give it to Atletico.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #390: Feb 19, 2020 08:18:48 am
      Ateltico are just a horrible horrible team, the worst kind of football with their negative tactics and even worse cheating and playacting, did the referee yesterday not know to expect this from Ateltico, I'm amazed refs are not wise to this.

In any case in 3 weeks time it is quite simply a question of who scores first, if we score first then we win if they score first they win.
      My prediction we destroy them but we must be more positive, for some reason Klopp has this weird habit of playing negatively away in Europe and it simply isn't working. Last night as soon as they parked the bus we had to bring on Ox and Keita into midfield, because against a team like that you MUST have runners from midfield, but our midfielders are petrified of taking a shot, always looking to pass the ball, the same can be said of Robbo, a wonderful player but please can someone show him how to shoot at goal.

Quick Reply